Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 01:51:34 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Ubuntu install.  (Read 1171 times)
matthewh3 (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1372
Merit: 1003

View Profile WWW
October 23, 2011, 07:10:18 PM

Hi whenever I try and run Bitcoin on my Ubuntu PC I get the error message -

EXCEPTION: 22DbRunRecoveryException       
DbEnv::open: DB_RUNRECOVERY: Fatal error, run database recovery       
bitcoin in AppInit()

Then the error message -

EXCEPTION: 22DbRunRecoveryException       
DbEnv::open: DB_RUNRECOVERY: Fatal error, run database recovery       
bitcoin in CMyApp::OnUnhandledException()

Can anyone please help?

"If you don't want people to know you're a scumbag then don't be a scumbag." -- margaritahuyan
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
DiThi

Activity: 156
Merit: 100

Firstbits: 1dithi

View Profile
October 23, 2011, 08:16:28 PM

Did you run 0.5.0rc1 then tried to run 0.4? I think I got the same error message when tried that. I did a backup of ~/.bitcon before, however, in case this would happen (but didn't restored it as the wallet is empty). I'll edit my post about compiling bitcoin recommending to backup ~/.bitcoin

1DiThiTXZpNmmoGF2dTfSku3EWGsWHCjwt
Justin Bieber

Activity: 14
Merit: 0

View Profile
October 23, 2011, 08:24:57 PM

Try emptying ~/.bitcoin/ (except for wallet.dat). Let it redownload the blockchain, something probably got corrupted.
matthewh3 (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1372
Merit: 1003

View Profile WWW
October 23, 2011, 08:34:10 PM

Try emptying ~/.bitcoin/ (except for wallet.dat). Let it redownload the blockchain, something probably got corrupted.

Yes that worked thanks  Grin

a2offrb

Activity: 453
Merit: 101

RISE WITH RAYS FOR THE FUTURE

View Profile
October 24, 2011, 08:45:25 AM

Very usual problem on ubuntu if shutting down client while its downloading blocks.
Is there solution to not download blocks from start? Takes 24 h on my old notebook  Tongue

]–]  Announce  ]–[    RAYS NETWORK    ]–[  Whitepaper  [–[
A Blockchain Based On Customized DPOS And Bulletproof Protocol
[–[   RISE WITH RAYS   [–[  Telegram  |  Twitter  |  Facebook  ]–]
Justin Bieber

Activity: 14

View Profile
October 24, 2011, 11:53:52 AM

Very usual problem on ubuntu if shutting down client while its downloading blocks.
Is there solution to not download blocks from start? Takes 24 h on my old notebook  Tongue
If you don't download the blockchain, you practically can't use the client.
kokjo
Legendary

Activity: 1050
Merit: 1000

You are WRONG!

View Profile
October 24, 2011, 11:59:18 AM

your database is of a wrong version. be sure to use the 4.8 version of libdb++ in ubuntu, when you are compiling

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves and wiser people so full of doubts." -Bertrand Russell
Akemashite Omedetou

Activity: 84
Merit: 13

View Profile WWW
October 25, 2011, 03:53:15 PM

One thing you could easily do is to copy the block chain from another client, if you have access to one. (for example on another computer, or from a friend, etc...)
In that case, just copy files blk0001.dat and blkindex.dat from that computers's bitoin data directory to your data directory, overwriting files if needed.
If you have files like blk0002.dat, blk0003.dat and so on, copy them too.

Bitcoin Fog: Secure Bitcoin Anonymization

---
Creedy: Die! Die! Why won't you die?... Why won't you die?
V: Beneath this mask there is more than flesh. Beneath this mask there is an idea, Mr. Creedy, and ideas are bulletproof.
hevosenliha

Activity: 4

View Profile
October 31, 2011, 01:22:53 PM

I just had this crash when shutting down 0.4 on ubuntu 64 bit.
(first time I ran 0.4 version, kept it running for a couple of days...)
Seems to still work afterwards anyway.

UNKNOWN EXCEPTION       
bitcoin in CMyApp::OnUnhandledException()       

Segmentation fault
DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1079

Gerald Davis

View Profile
October 31, 2011, 02:20:36 PM
Last edit: November 01, 2011, 05:43:29 PM by DeathAndTaxes

Eventually the client needs to support downloading compressed "recent" copy of blockchain via a bitorrent type protocol.  The client can still verify every block back to the genesis block locally so there is no risk of fraud.

The blockchain will only get larger and larger.  By "recent" I mean the network could take a snapshot of the blockchain say ever 1000 blocks (roughly once a week) on the even 1000th block.  Compress the blockchain and offer it as a seed via private torrent.  Client could have a single function bittorrent client inside.  The current method of passing new blocks is fine but that method is not the best for downloading tens of thousands of blocks.

The ability for all clients to download larger compressed "chunks" of the blockchain in out of order allocation to maximize throughput should speed up new block downloads.  The error checking built into bittorrent protocol would reduce the issue of block corruption.  Many people like myself would gladly devote bandwith to provide highspeed continual seeds of the "block snapshot".

Once client has completed the torrent (w/ nice progress bar) it would need to verify each block from genesis block to ensure the blockchain is accurate and then begin to download new blocks beyond xxx000 which at most would be 999 more blocks.

dancupid

Activity: 955
Merit: 1002

View Profile
October 31, 2011, 02:46:00 PM

Run a second Ubuntu in a virtual machine just for bitcoin and keep lots of snapshots so you don't need to keep downloading the block-chain in full.
btc_artist

Activity: 154
Merit: 101

Bitcoin!

View Profile WWW
November 01, 2011, 05:39:16 PM

Eventually the client needs to support downloading compressed "recent" copy of blockchain via a bitorrent type protocol.  The client can still verify every block back to the genesis block locally so there is no risk of fraud.

The blockchain will only get larger and larger.  By "recent" I mean the network could take a snapshot of the client every say 1000 blocks (roughly week) on the even 1000.  Compress the blockchain and offer it as a seed via private bittorrent type protocol.  The ability for all clients to download larger compressed "chunks" of the blockchain in out of order allocation to maximize throughput should speed up new block downloads.  The error checking built into bittorrent protocol would reduce the issue of block corruption.  Many people like myself would gladly devote bandwith to provide highspeed continual seeds of the "block snapshot".

Once client has completed the torrent (w/ nice progress bar) it will verify each block from genesis block and then begin to download new blocks beyon xxx000 which at most would be 999 more blocks.

You should outline this suggestion somewhere (here or github) where the devs will see it and can evaluate the idea.

BTC: 1CDCLDBHbAzHyYUkk1wYHPYmrtDZNhk8zf
LTC: LMS7SqZJnqzxo76iDSEua33WCyYZdjaQoE
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: