Bitcoin Forum
April 20, 2024, 12:03:11 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitcoins, Banking & Insurance - Why Bitcoins are a Different Animal Altogether  (Read 968 times)
bitrebel (OP)

Activity: 364
Merit: 251

View Profile
August 03, 2011, 09:01:16 PM
Last edit: August 03, 2011, 09:11:45 PM by bitrebel
Merited by r1s2g3 (1)

All US registered business hold insurance for risk reduction. It's a requirement of many businesses to hold insurance. This is the reason, I believe Walmart and Ebay and Corporate America will never accept bitcoins completely.

I made a post before that was called "Bitcoins are not what you think", but that post was more of a rant than an attempt to get a point across. What I was trying to explain was that Bitcoins are the antithesis to the system because it's an alternative unstable currency and always will be.

I never meant to say that people will not accept them, and small businesses will not work with them. What I meant was that Big business cannot, by nature, integrate bitcoins into their accounting structure. It must always be kept separate in some way, and due to "risk" the insurance companies will not insure these companies that mix their accounting with dollars and bitcoins.

The entire system is designed around centralization. Bitcoins are designed around decentralizaton.

So, in order for bitcoins to become mainstream, infrastructure must be created to allow Bitcoin to operate INDEPENDENT of all commercial banking. If you are a business, you will likely have to keep all your Bitcoin transactions completely separate and you'll have to work through exchanges to get your bitcoins converted to dollars. The key is to not need to convert those bitcoins to dollars. If you need to, then the key is to do it outside your business.

In other words, people need to stop expecting bitcoins to be the same as the dollar in it's operation or execution. I don't think they can ever be integrated together, in a business, in the United States. That does not mean there cannot be bitcoin related businesses, but they will not likely be able to accept bitcoin without dramatic hassles in their accounting and insurance.

Maybe people need to stop creating infrastructure that integrates bitcoins with the dollar, and create infrastructure that allows people to use bitcoins independent of the dollar. I'm not sure how this will be applied exactly, but it seems to have more to do with individuals than businesses. By nature, business has too many entanglements in laws and regulations, and they all revolve around the dollar as the unit of currency. If the banking system and the insurance system, under the banking system, is all tied intimately to the dollar, maybe it's wiser not to use that infrastructure for bitcoins, and to create a whole new one completely independent of the dollar and credit cards and the whole debt based system.

Bitcoins are not debt instruments so how do you integrate them into a system created specifically, for debt instruments?

Why does Bitrebel have 65+ Ignores?
Because Bitrebel says things that some people do not want YOU to hear.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
You get merit points when someone likes your post enough to give you some. And for every 2 merit points you receive, you can send 1 merit point to someone else!
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
bitrebel (OP)

View Profile
August 04, 2011, 08:41:28 AM

WTF, this thread is worthy of at least one reply by now, isn't it?

bitrebel (OP)

View Profile
August 11, 2011, 05:24:34 AM

still not a single reply... Shocked Huh  Cry

Reinsurer

Activity: 81
Merit: 11

View Profile WWW
January 10, 2019, 01:25:31 PM
Merited by r1s2g3 (1)

Talking ‘bout insurance in crypto: since the cryptocurrency claims, on the one hand, the role of money, and on the other, the role of digital assets their security can be fully ensured by classical financial instruments. If we are talking about a classic business, then the security of money is provided by deposit insurance systems in banks. In the event of a bank crash, all depositors are paid a fixed percentage. There is another option — voluntary insurance.
r1s2g3

Activity: 742
Merit: 395

I am alive but in hibernation.

View Profile
January 10, 2019, 02:02:19 PM

Altough I hate necro poster but today I make an exception.

@OP, I did not understood why it is not discussed till now but I think we both  might have same way of thinking.

In current volatile market it will be real hassle for business  to accept bitcoin unless it is not dealing with fully bitcoin ecosystem.(buy  in bitcoin and selling in bitcoin).

I am alive
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: