Bitcoin Forum
April 24, 2024, 07:19:03 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: [2018-10-29] Bitcoin trading uses so much power that it could push global temper  (Read 386 times)
xFiber

Activity: 336
Merit: 252

View Profile
November 05, 2018, 12:21:05 PM

I think we all know they don't investigate important issues very well.

I partially agree with you here but you're still generalizing here. Especially when it comes to global warming because the raw data is at our disposal (https://data.worldbank.org/indicator/en.atm.co2e.pc). There are countless scientific reports indicating that global warming is a direct consequence of the increasing CO2 emissions. You don't even need to read newspapers to realize that.

If they did, they would present both sides of the story, not just that which they prefer.

And what do you think is the other side of the story? What kind of agenda do you think they're trying to push, if any?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The Bitcoin network protocol was designed to be extremely flexible. It can be used to create timed transactions, escrow transactions, multi-signature transactions, etc. The current features of the client only hint at what will be possible in the future.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Carlton Banks
Legendary

Activity: 3430
Merit: 3071

View Profile
November 05, 2018, 02:00:29 PM

I think we all know they don't investigate important issues very well.

I partially agree with you here but you're still generalizing here. Especially when it comes to global warming because the raw data is at our disposal (https://data.worldbank.org/indicator/en.atm.co2e.pc). There are countless scientific reports indicating that global warming is a direct consequence of the increasing CO2 emissions. You don't even need to read newspapers to realize that.

If they did, they would present both sides of the story, not just that which they prefer.

And what do you think is the other side of the story? What kind of agenda do you think they're trying to push, if any?

There are climate scientists and naturalists who claim that their studies demonstrate there's no change in trend for temperature (and that defining what "average temperature" affects the outcome significantly)

And I'm not sure what makes the World Bank any more credulous a source of science than journalists.

Vires in numeris
Thekool1s
Legendary

Activity: 1512
Merit: 1218

Change is in your hands

View Profile
November 05, 2018, 04:56:27 PM

Lol, Another "paid" study. I mean they have got the guts to use a title like that. I would love to read an article from "bullshitinsider" that how much electricity is wasted per year by the USA alone. I debunked their claim in an earlier thread. if you guys want to read it I will attach it below. Basically, the gist of it is 6 times more energy is wasted by the USA than the whole bitcoin network uses each year.

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=4943478.msg44566177#msg44566177
xFiber

View Profile
November 05, 2018, 06:20:42 PM

There are climate scientists and naturalists who claim that their studies demonstrate there's no change in trend for temperature (and that defining what "average temperature" affects the outcome significantly)

Source?

And I'm not sure what makes the World Bank any more credulous a source of science than journalists.

How about NASA? And please don't come up with some silly conspiracy theory.
https://climate.nasa.gov/evidence/
https://climate.nasa.gov/scientific-consensus/

97% of scientists worldwide agree that global warming is happening and will have consequences in the (near) future.
At this point scientists aren't arguing whether it's real but rather how fast it's going to happen.
coolcoinz
Legendary

Activity: 2604
Merit: 1102

View Profile
November 05, 2018, 06:48:49 PM

97% of scientists worldwide agree that global warming is happening and will have consequences in the (near) future.
At this point scientists aren't arguing whether it's real but rather how fast it's going to happen.

While I'm not going to argue that temperatures are rising, we can call it global warming or climate change. It's all a matter of perspective. While it may be getting warmer on the poles, the Gulf Stream is weakening and results in Europe becoming colder. While you're talking about global warming it's snowing in South Africa.
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2018/sep/11/giraffes-in-the-snow-south-africa-karoo-desert

Does Bitcoin mining have something to do with that? I very much doubt it and people who are saying that mining will raise global temperatures by 2* are delusional. Google and Facebook servers combined produce a comparable amount of heat and they've been doing it for much longer than Bitcoin miners.

Carlton Banks
Legendary

View Profile
November 05, 2018, 07:31:29 PM

Source?

I don't regularly check this topic out, but there certainly are dissenting views from credible scientists. If you're interested, you should search for them. It's actually a benefit to understand the sceptical point of view if you want to argue against it.

If you're not interested in valid antithetical-arguments, but express strong belief in the corresponding thesis, don't expect anyone to take you seriously if you make strong statements on a subject you're not interseted in learning about.

How about NASA? And please don't come up with some silly conspiracy theory.
https://climate.nasa.gov/evidence/
https://climate.nasa.gov/scientific-consensus/

What difference does it make if NASA has a position? Aren't you interested in what's factual? Science is supposed to be about using rational methodology and measurements to prove facts, not who says what.

Yeah that's pretty much correct. You can include me: climate change is real, and CO2 is a greenhouse gas, there is no doubt

What percentage of climate scientists think climate change is happening so slowly that there is no real discernible problem? And does it even matter how low or high the percentages are, when scientific facts are what actually matter?

Vires in numeris
xFiber

View Profile
November 05, 2018, 10:24:07 PM

While I'm not going to argue that temperatures are rising, we can call it global warming or climate change. It's all a matter of perspective. While it may be getting warmer on the poles, the Gulf Stream is weakening and results in Europe becoming colder. While you're talking about global warming it's snowing in South Africa.
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2018/sep/11/giraffes-in-the-snow-south-africa-karoo-desert

Fair point, climate change would be the more complete way to define what's happening right now. I am by no means an expert when it comes to this but I am learning everyday. The main point I am trying to stress here is that those increased levels of carbon dioxide, and whatever their effects may be, are doing more harm than good.

Does Bitcoin mining have something to do with that? I very much doubt it and people who are saying that mining will raise global temperatures by 2* are delusional. Google and Facebook servers combined produce a comparable amount of heat and they've been doing it for much longer than Bitcoin miners.

I second this. Completely delusional.
hotforblockchain

Activity: 266
Merit: 26

View Profile
November 07, 2018, 11:13:58 AM

How much CO2 is too much? That's where climate scientists disagree.

And again, where is source?

It is too much when average (yearly) temperature of earth is rising. Which causes climate anomalies, rising waters and possibly worst of all thawing permafrost which protects huge amounts of C02 . These all are negative effects which can and are measured and recorded.

Carlton Banks
Legendary

View Profile
November 07, 2018, 12:52:00 PM

How much CO2 is too much? That's where climate scientists disagree.
It is too much when average (yearly) temperature of earth is rising.

Getting that answer ("average temperature is rising") depends on how you measure it. Not all methodologies of measuring the average temperature indicate a significant rise.

You're talking about an exceptionally complicated topic, but you want to make it seem simple. Weather patterns change for literally thousands of reasons, not just your personal favourite reason.

Vires in numeris
Bizard
Copper Member

Activity: 180
Merit: 0

View Profile
November 08, 2018, 07:28:07 PM

Bitcoin trades while the volumes are very small with a comparison of the market for Fiat money, and are unlikely to come close in the near future, but I think bankers know what to do if Bitcoin is not their toy.

Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: