Bitcoin Forum
April 23, 2024, 12:38:38 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Looking for someone to create/modify software for this forum [5500+ BTC]  (Read 165564 times)
Raoul Duke
aka psy
Legendary

Activity: 1358
Merit: 1002

View Profile
October 27, 2012, 05:43:38 PM

Try using that with a tablet or phone touchscreen and then tell me about it Grin

Would you be willing to insert a mobile browser detection script and serve a custom css file to mobile browsers?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The trust scores you see are subjective; they will change depending on who you have in your trust list.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Inaba
Legendary

Activity: 1260
Merit: 1000

View Profile WWW
October 27, 2012, 07:37:54 PM

WAP lol... seriously?  You want us to use a feature designed for phones that do text only and through a protocol that was dead before it was even born?  Come on.  Forum Runner and Tapatalk should be supported at a bare minimum.

Huh? I've improved the moderator tools a lot. And this doesn't impact you much, since you're not a moderator.

Yes, it does affect me because the moderators can't do their job properly.

Watchlist.

Is not a subscription.  The watchlist function is barely adequate and is basically a hack on top of a hack to make a feature that should be in the base forum software.  It is, in a word, craptacular.  I have to go to two separate places to find threads I want to pay attention to.  Then, once I post in that thread I can't @#%#@$ remove it from my list of watched threads if I lose interest in it, without deleting ALL MY POSTS in that thread.  Pure, utter stupidity.

I probably wouldn't introduce one of those fancy WYSIWYG editors even if I could do so for free. I hate using them on other sites because they interfere with the features my browser gives me for textboxes, and they would encourage people to use more annoying markup. I do not want to see people making all of their posts in some unusual color and font in order to stand out or be unique. That's just annoying.

I'm not sure what sites you are using or what browser you are using, but you're using the wrong ones in either case.  Try some on modern forum software on a modern browser.  They work fine and don't interfere at all.

It isn't too bad. I use it pretty frequently, though Google is better for some searches.

Again, much like the watchlist, it's barely adequate.  If you want to strive for mediocrity, then it's a win.

There won't be a global reputation system. This forum is for discussion, which global reputation systems interfere with.

A web of trust reputation system would be good.

Sorry, but normal people don't use junk like that.  Look at the current WoT.  It's barely used compared to the community here.  It's a failure because it's too difficult to use.  It needs to be built in to the forum and simple, otherwise people won't use it, no matter how superior it is.  

These would be nice, but they're not priorities. I worry about supporting discussion first and trading second.

Great!  Switching to modern forum software will accomplish this goal perfectly.  Sticking with the bug ridden, feature bare, security holed SMF is not furthering that goal.  It's putting a forum on life support and hoping for the best.

Have you ever even seen automated spam outside of the newbies section?

Yes... and when I tried to report the multiple threads, I got the stupid "You must wait 20 seconds between posts" so I didn't bother reporting the three other threads that were posted after the first one.

What's wrong with posting links? Then you can handle the links however you want in your browser. Use a browser-based image gallery userscript if you want.

Because it's a pain in the ass.  Again, you don't seem to understand that people want convenience, not a complicated ritual to post a !@#%#@$ image.  It's called making your forum rich in content, not making it user hostile.  With an image gallery/attachment manager, you can have the best of both worlds - people can still post links if they want, or they can use the built in tools that allow them to communicate instead of trying to decipher how to post an image.

That'd be a good feature, but it's not a priority.

Then what is a priority?  You don't seem to be advancing anything as a priority.  Everything that makes a good forum is "not a priority" so far.

Advanced in what way?

I'm not saying that we're staying with SMF forever. There are many improvements to make, and I'm uneasy about SMF's security. But SMF works pretty well.

Take a look at the profiles of a modern forums software package for an idea.  Yes, SMF works pretty well for something from 1999.  It works like a piece of crap for something from 2010... and here it is almost 2013.

This thread will be a year old in another few days and there has been exactly zero advancement of this forum as far as security and features go.  It's the same forum from a year ago.  You are never going to get custom software written in a reasonable timeframe.  Just pick one of the modern forum packages and go with it.  I suggest vBulletin, but I honestly don't care what package you go with, so long as it has modern features and abilities.

If you're searching these lines for a point, you've probably missed it.  There was never anything there in the first place.
cedivad
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1001

View Profile
October 27, 2012, 07:52:44 PM

You are not only a paid troll, you are a troll, that's all.

Lets say that this time I appreciate your goals.

My anger against what is wrong in the Bitcoin community is productive:
Bitcointa.lk - Replace "Bitcointalk.org" with "Bitcointa.lk" in this url to see how this page looks like on a proper forum (Announcement Thread)
Hashfast.org - Wiki for screwed customers
Inaba
Legendary

View Profile WWW
October 27, 2012, 08:29:03 PM

Somehow, I don't think you understand what a troll is.  Nice try, though. *golf clap*

Before you come back with some mind bendingly stupid response as to how I really am a troll, please provide citations where my posts are made purely to disrupt the forum and/or take the thread off topic.  What you will find is that my posts are typically on topic (or if they stray off topic it's in response to someone else who has posted an off topic reply, such as this one.) and relevant to the discussion at hand.  You can try to redefine troll in whatever manner you see fit, but you will be wrong. Ergo, labeling me a troll is incorrect, no matter how much you want it to be.  I know it's easier to label me a troll than to actually address the questions or comments I make with logic, forethought and rational discussion, since that is usually in short supply in most people, you being a good example.

If you're searching these lines for a point, you've probably missed it.  There was never anything there in the first place.
cedivad
Legendary

View Profile
October 27, 2012, 08:33:04 PM

Somehow, I don't think you understand what a troll is.  Nice try, though. *golf clap*
Let's say that you are simply the rudest one right around here.

And this time i appreciate this.

Bitcointa.lk - Replace "Bitcointalk.org" with "Bitcointa.lk" in this url to see how this page looks like on a proper forum (Announcement Thread)
Inaba
Legendary

View Profile WWW
October 27, 2012, 08:39:19 PM

Rude?  Yes, absolutely. I  have very little tolerance for people who are too stupid to formulate an intelligent reply.  Again, if you go back through my posts, if you approach me with civility and intelligence, you usually get the same in response.  You approach me with rudeness and/or stupidity, you get rudeness in response.  It's pretty simple actually.

Again, you and your post is a good example.  You approach me with name calling (and it's not even accurate) and you (apparently?) expect me to be civil to you?  Seriously?

cedivad
Legendary

View Profile
October 27, 2012, 08:44:40 PM

Thank you for making me a laught off you.

theymos (OP)
Administrator
Legendary

Activity: 5180
Merit: 12873

View Profile
October 28, 2012, 01:11:01 AM

Then, once I post in that thread I can't @#%#@$ remove it from my list of watched threads if I lose interest in it, without deleting ALL MY POSTS in that thread.

That's not how the watchlist works.

Quote from: Inaba
This thread will be a year old in another few days and there has been exactly zero advancement of this forum as far as security and features go.

Some big features that were added:
- Secure hashing of passwords.
- Watchlist
- Automatic whitelisting by any staff member
- "Nuke" feature usable by staff members
- All Tor IPs are automatically banned from registering
- Ignore user (with hidden threads and highlighted ignore link)
- Ignore boards

Would you be willing to insert a mobile browser detection script and serve a custom css file to mobile browsers?

OK, I did that for the default theme (using CSS3 media queries). I removed a lot of wasted space and made it so horizontal scrolling isn't required. It looks OK in a small Firefox window. I don't have a smartphone with which to test it, though.

1NXYoJ5xU91Jp83XfVMHwwTUyZFK64BoAD
underminer

Activity: 210
Merit: 100

Not for hire.

View Profile
October 28, 2012, 04:35:06 AM

I like this forum a lot and seen improvement in the short time I've been here.  Frankly I'm surprised no one has taken you up on your offer for a new system yet...

Keep your bitcoins my .02 are free.
cedivad
Legendary

View Profile
October 28, 2012, 06:48:30 AM

I like this forum a lot and seen improvement in the short time I've been here.  Frankly I'm surprised no one has taken you up on your offer for a new system yet...
There are people here that would work almost for free, the problem is the admin that likes it as it is and dosent want to change it.

Inaba
Legendary

View Profile WWW
October 28, 2012, 07:18:20 AM

Then, once I post in that thread I can't @#%#@$ remove it from my list of watched threads if I lose interest in it, without deleting ALL MY POSTS in that thread.

That's not how the watchlist works.

I know!  That's the problem!

Some big features that were added:
- Secure hashing of passwords.
- Watchlist
- Automatic whitelisting by any staff member
- "Nuke" feature usable by staff members
- All Tor IPs are automatically banned from registering
- Ignore user (with hidden threads and highlighted ignore link)
- Ignore boards

Come on man, those are all "features" that are standard on bone stock software built after 2009.  They aren't even features, they should be considered basic functionality.  The fact that you had to hack them into the forums should be telling. 

There is virtually nobody in this thread that agrees that SMF is adequate, while the majority of the people agree that we should switch to a modern software suite.  Why is it that you are so reluctant to switch to something else?  Why is "Good enough" ok?  Shouldn't you be striving for "AWESOME!" ?  Why settle for mediocrity?  Especially when it's so trivial in the grand scheme of things to switch.

OK, I did that for the default theme (using CSS3 media queries). I removed a lot of wasted space and made it so horizontal scrolling isn't required. It looks OK in a small Firefox window. I don't have a smartphone with which to test it, though.

Browsing a forum via the browser on a phone is an exercise in frustration.  There needs to be a Forum Runner or Tapatalk like application to view/navigate the forum on a smartphone.  Conveniently, this ability is built in to modern forum software strangely enough.

Raoul Duke
aka psy
Legendary

View Profile
October 28, 2012, 02:00:22 PM

When I said custom css I was thinking mostly along the lines of having buttons for pagination and new replies that could be pressed with a finger.
Having no scrolling is a good start, but pagination and the new replies button are the biggest problems.
theymos (OP)
Administrator
Legendary

Activity: 5180
Merit: 12873

View Profile
October 28, 2012, 04:44:50 PM

When I said custom css I was thinking mostly along the lines of having buttons for pagination and new replies that could be pressed with a finger.
Having no scrolling is a good start, but pagination and the new replies button are the biggest problems.

So you want bigger text for page links and "new reply", etc.?

I've never used a smartphone, so I'm not sure what's needed...

1NXYoJ5xU91Jp83XfVMHwwTUyZFK64BoAD
AndrewBUD

Activity: 1078
Merit: 502

View Profile WWW
October 28, 2012, 04:49:32 PM

Having a limited Photo album for each user would be cool.... 

▄▄▄███████▄▄▄
▄▄█████▀▀''`▀▀█████▄▄
▄███P'            `YY██▄
▄██P'                  `Y██▄
███'                      `███
███'                         ███
▄██'   ▄█████▄▄  ,▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄p   ███
▄██▀  ,████▀P▀███.`██████████P   ▀██▄
███[ ,████ __. ███.   ,▄████▀    ███
███[ ]████████████[  ▄████▀       ███
███[ `████   ,oo2 ▄████▀'       ,███
▀██▄  `████▄▄█████d███████████   ▄██▀
▀██.   `▀▀▀▀▀▀"  Y▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀  ,██▀
███.                        ,███
▀██▄                      ▄██▀
▀███▄_                 ,███▀
▀███▄▄_          _▄▄███▀
▀▀████▄▄ooo▄▄█████▀
▀▀███████▀▀'

TM

EZ365 is a digital ecosystem that combines
the best aspects of online gaming, cryptocurrency
trading
and blockchain education. ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀

..WHITEPAPER..    ..INVESTOR PITCH..

.Telegram     Twitter   Facebook

.'M████▀▀██  ██
                      W█Ws'V██  ██▄▄███▀▀█
                     i█████m.~M████▀▀██  ███
                     d███████Ws'V██  ██████
                     ****M██████m.~███f~~__mW█
          ██▀▀▀████████=  Y██▀▀██W ,gm███████
      g█████▄▄▄██   █A~`_WW Y█  ██!,████████
   g▀▀▀███   ████▀▀`_m████i!████P W███  ██
 _███▄▄▄██▀▀▀███Af`_m███   █W ███A ]███  ██
__ ~~~▀▀▀▀▄▄▄█*f_m██████   ██i!██!i███████
Y█████▄▄▄▄__. i██▀▀▀██████████ █!,██████
 8█  █▀▀█████.!██   ██████████i! █████
 '█  █  █   █W M█▄▄▄██████   ██ !██
  !███▄▄█   ██i'██████████   ██
   Y███████████.]██████████████
   █   ███████b ███   ██████
   Y   █   █▀▀█i!██   ████
    V███   █  █W Y█████
      ~~▀███▄▄▄█['███
            ~~*██

Play

│
    │      ███
    │      ███
    │      ███
    │   │  ███
   ███  │  ███
   ███ ███ ███
 │  ███ ███ ███
███ ███ ███ ███
███ ███  │   │
███ ███  │   │
 │   │
 │

Trade

__▄▄████▄▄
     __▄▄███████████████▄▄▄
 _▄▄█████████▀▀~`,▄████████████▄▄▄
 ~▀▀████▀▀~`,_▄▄███████████████▀▀▀
   d█~  =▀███████████████▀▀
   ]█! m▄▄ '~▀▀▀████▀▀~~ ,_▄▄
  ,W█. *████▄▄__ '  __▄▄█████
  !██P  █████████████████████
   W█. - ██████████████████▀
  i██[   ~ ▀▀█████████▀▀▀
 g███!
Y███

Learn
[/tabl
Raoul Duke
aka psy
Legendary

View Profile
October 28, 2012, 05:04:52 PM

So you want bigger text for page links and "new reply", etc.?

I've never used a smartphone, so I'm not sure what's needed...

Not the post new reply link, if that was what you were thinking, as you said "bigger text". I meant the image that opens unread replies on a thread.
Pagination and clicking that image are the biggest difficulties, at least for me, and I use a tablet. I can only imagine how much pinching to zoom people will have to do on a smartphone lol
cedivad
Legendary

View Profile
October 28, 2012, 05:08:06 PM

You guys having problems pressing buttons use android, correct?

Raoul Duke
aka psy
Legendary

View Profile
October 28, 2012, 05:09:34 PM

Yes, I use Android.
The iPads and iPhones have a kind of a magnifying glass, isn't it?
cedivad
Legendary

View Profile
October 28, 2012, 05:13:49 PM

Yes, I use Android.
No, they simply autocorrect you. It's some kind of magic feature, but i have no problems at all at pressing the 5-pixel-height "new" button, nor the reply to this thread link.
And i have big fingers, it's just that somehow something fix it for me.

Raoul Duke
aka psy
Legendary

View Profile
October 28, 2012, 05:21:15 PM

Yes, I use Android.
No, they simply autocorrect you. It's some kind of magic feature, but i have no problems at all at pressing the 5-pixel-height "new" button, nor the reply to this thread link.

What about the pagination numbers at the bottom or top of the threads?
I can't even press the forward arrow (») as somehow it always presses the last page number or the All link lol
cedivad
Legendary

View Profile
October 28, 2012, 05:23:58 PM

Yes, I use Android.

What about the pagination numbers at the bottom or top of the threads?
I can't even press the forward arrow (») as somehow it always presses the last page number or the All link lol
It works for me. In the worst case you do a double tap = auto zoom, than go with precision on the page you want.

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: