Bitcoin Forum
March 28, 2024, 11:59:15 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Looking for someone to create/modify software for this forum [5500+ BTC]  (Read 165563 times)
R-

Activity: 238
Merit: 100

Pasta

View Profile WWW
April 19, 2012, 06:04:25 AM

Who ever ends up winning this thing should go with a facebook messaging system, where your PMs are always in conversation format i dunno how many times ive replied to people or recieved replies from people not knowing wtf we are talk ing about all becuase they didnt quote my last message im sure im not the only with this problem.
+1. I suggest you contact Paul Taulborg. He created D2Jsp forums which is easily the most feature packed forum I've encountered.

+1 vote for approaching the D2Jsp guy and buying/renting his software. He specifically designed it for online trading between users have to say it's the best out there, and fast.

Thanks for the vouch. His contact details are here:
http://forums.d2jsp.org/contact.php

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The forum was founded in 2009 by Satoshi and Sirius. It replaced a SourceForge forum.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
GroundRod

Activity: 206
Merit: 100

View Profile
April 20, 2012, 06:23:40 AM

Interesting offer, yet indeed a complex proposal.

@BitAvenue - Know nothing about the software you've used, but if trading is the #1 detail here, perhaps you've found something that is the way go.

However, do know some things about the Xenforo software, thought it might interest you involved in this decision, what I know is only a small fraction compared to the 2 guys that put together the site now running that platform here:
http://timemonkradio.com/

Both good friends, both likely to be happy to talk to you via Skype with that purchase decision & it's good/bad points from a backside operations standpoint, both want to do anything they can to help out the BitCoin community.  All I've heard from them is nothing but great stuff about how the Xenforo platform is 1000x better than what we're running over on the old closed vBulletin forum where I hang out most, got to say though, this place has really got me addicted at the moment!

Anyway, the Xenforo beta software was purchased last year, while still in beta & TMR really only got launched in a working fashion this last January, the site is still a work in progress, all of us work full time with day jobs, but it has come along fast since that launch, in a big way thanks to the software.

Yes, I've heard of the cat fight involved between the two company's, not sure it's slowing down the development team's product development though, if anything it's been spurring them on to greater levels of innovation.

Foxx, Neo and myself, we've been a team together, going on 5 years.  If we can be of any service, please don't hesitate to ask, everything we've been working on up until now, has been for free.

You can contact both directly from the site, just tell them GroundRod sent you or PM me here for direct contact details.

For my part, know very little about it, only on the audio backup, editor and sometimes interviewer tasks team.  Haven't worked with forum code since closing down my 10 node CPM-86 based PCBoard/FidoNet machines back in '96.

It's only been since March that BitCoin's came to our attention in a major a way, now we're doing everything we can to bring the first 1K people into the BitCoin world, some kicking and screaming all the way....
Stephen Gornick
Legendary

Activity: 2506
Merit: 1010

View Profile
April 20, 2012, 08:23:10 AM

There's now 1700+ BTC in the forum fund, and I'm still accepting bids.

That was over a month ago now with that total.  Sometimes using a big round number like "2, 000 BTC worth over $10,000 USD" is something that can generate a  higher level of interest by prospective bidders.

In Ed McMahon's voice ...  "Tympani"!

Unichange.me

█
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █

brendio

Activity: 518
Merit: 500

View Profile
April 20, 2012, 01:05:27 PM

So, what is a status of this?

If there is wisdom in the crowd, then see:
 - http://betsofbitco.in/item?id=179

(hint: These prediction markets work in this manner -- if someone "knows something" better than the rest ... then generally the odds will change as wagers from those with access to that information are made.  Currently these odds are about 30:1 that there won't be new  software running by Jan 1st.)
I think it's the other way around.

disagree if you thing they WILL.

Negative statements in bets always mean you have to stop and think for a bit about which is which. The majority of the bets are on the double negative, that is, a positive outcome.

Stephen Gornick
Legendary

Activity: 2506
Merit: 1010

View Profile
April 20, 2012, 09:04:21 PM

Currently these odds are about 30:1 that there won't be new  software running by Jan 1st.)
I think it's the other way around.

Speed reading fail on my part.  Great, so 30:1 odds saying that in about 8 months this WILL BE running on new software.

...  "Tympani"!

At $5.30 current that 2,200 BTC is $11.6K USD for this project.  

This is by far now the biggest open project, in terms of both bitcoins and the value once converted to USDs ever.

Unichange.me

█
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █

Xenland
Legendary

Activity: 980
Merit: 1003

I'm not just any shaman, I'm a Sha256man

View Profile
May 02, 2012, 07:51:16 AM

I think it's official some entity needs to make a forums software that satisfies the requested requirements instead of presenting proposal/offers/mock up code or anything of the like.

Who gonna man up?
Request

Activity: 34
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
May 02, 2012, 04:13:10 PM
Last edit: May 22, 2012, 12:09:03 AM by Request

We have objectively compared different forum platforms available in the global market against requirements on this topic. We wanted to know is there any ready platform available that could fulfill these requirements with some modifications or could it be better to build a new platform from the scratch.

We made a deeper investigation to four (4) different forum platforms: Vanilla, IPB, phpBB3 and SMF2 (we dropped vBulletin out because of poor support for PostgreSQL database). There is over one hundred pages of documentation intended to the administrators of this forum sent privately to theymos.

Our summary is that SMF2 with modifications is the best solution for bitcointalk.org. All required and optional features can be included.

Our offer is still active. We have upgraded downgraded it to BTC700 BTC400 but still we are ready to discuss about the final price. We have in-house team ready to start work.

Who ever ends up winning this thing should go with a facebook messaging system, where your PMs are always in conversation format i dunno how many times ive replied to people or recieved replies from people not knowing wtf we are talk ing about all becuase they didnt quote my last message im sure im not the only with this problem.

This is included to the default installation of SMF2 platform.

Thanks,
Request
mc_lovin
Legendary

Activity: 1190
Merit: 1000

www.bitcointrading.com

View Profile WWW
May 12, 2012, 01:16:40 AM

We have objectively compared different forum platforms available in the global market against requirements on this topic. We wanted to know is there any ready platform available that could fulfill these requirements with some modifications or could it be better to build a new platform from the scratch.

We made a deeper investigation to four (4) different forum platforms: Vanilla, IPB, phpBB3 and SMF2 (we dropped vBulletin out because of poor support for PostgreSQL database). There is over one hundred pages of documentation intended to the administrators of this forum sent privately to theymos.

Our summary is that SMF2 with modifications is the best solution for bitcointalk.org. All required and optional features can be included.

Our offer is still active. We have upgraded it to 700 BTC but still we are ready to discuss about the final price. We have in-house team ready to start work.

This is included to the default installation of SMF2 platform.

Thanks,
Request
SMF2 platform is free, bitcointalk should just upgrade to 2.0.2 and be done with it...
Kris
Donator

Activity: 640
Merit: 500

View Profile
May 13, 2012, 05:45:39 PM

I did sent a PM asking to create a new forum from scratch, I think it was around d. 2 May. So just say the word, and I'll start cooking.
Garr255
Legendary

Activity: 938

What's a GPU?

View Profile
May 18, 2012, 04:31:44 AM

I saw this and thought it was amusing... http://betsofbitco.in/item?id=179

“First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win.”  -- Mahatma Gandhi

Average time between signing on to bitcointalk: Two weeks. Please don't expect responses any faster than that!
lulzplzkthx

Activity: 322
Merit: 251

View Profile WWW
May 19, 2012, 02:35:36 PM
Merited by PrimeNumber7 (1)

You would not consider Python / Django? It's really good for making quick, strong, scalable apps, easily modifiable, and "comes with" an awesome admin panel.

Request

View Profile WWW
May 21, 2012, 10:53:44 AM
Last edit: May 22, 2012, 12:07:45 AM by Request

SMF2 platform is free, bitcointalk should just upgrade to 2.0.2 and be done with it...

You're right, SMF2 is free. But please notice that there is some feature requirements which are not included to default installation of SMF2, and that's why there is need to develop those features. Also comparison of feature requirements vs. forums on the market, and especially documentation of that, toke several work days.

EDIT: There is some forum demo from us available at http://feuer.viuhka.fi/SMFDemo/

EDIT2: Good news: We have downgraded our bid to BTC400. Forum could save BTC1800 for other purposes! What do you think of that? Smiley
mc_lovin
Legendary

Activity: 1190

www.bitcointrading.com

View Profile WWW
May 25, 2012, 01:20:11 AM

You're right, SMF2 is free. But please notice that there is some feature requirements which are not included to default installation of SMF2, and that's why there is need to develop those features. Also comparison of feature requirements vs. forums on the market, and especially documentation of that, toke several work days.

EDIT: There is some forum demo from us available at http://feuer.viuhka.fi/SMFDemo/

EDIT2: Good news: We have downgraded our bid to BTC400. Forum could save BTC1800 for other purposes! What do you think of that? Smiley

So your demo site is.. SMF default? 
perplexes

Activity: 3

View Profile
May 25, 2012, 07:59:23 PM

Hi theymos,

I've been a long time lurker on this board, but more active just trading bitcoins and spreading the word. Most people can't get me to shut up about bitcoins.

I run a consulting company with my business partner, Masha. I would like to put ourselves out here as a candidate for building your new forum.

Here are our resumes:
Me (Colin): http://bit.ly/ccres
Masha: http://mashalifshin.com/cv

To make a somewhat accurate estimate will take some time, but I'd be happy to discuss either here or in PM. Please let me know which you'd prefer.

Thanks a lot,
Colin
Request

View Profile WWW
May 28, 2012, 05:15:38 PM

So your demo site is.. SMF default?  

No, it's includes several code changes. I will specify those on this topic a little bit later.

We haven't change the default template or designed our own. Of course, with some outsourcing we could do that.
isis

Activity: 154
Merit: 102

View Profile
June 01, 2012, 07:38:56 AM

I just found this topic, sorry if I'm a bit late to the show.

I do professional IT Consulting & Systems Analysis as my day job.  I also have more than a decade of professional software development experience. 
I have a resume I can send to you upon request, just PM me.

I wanted to let you know that there is already a plan to implement a forum with most of the features you are asking for.  It's a functional component of another project I'm planning (see my original post https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=83752.0 for more details on that project although no mention of a forum is made there).  I plan to deliver the forum portion of the product by the first week of August and there would be no cost for bitcointalk.org to use it. 
Nothing would be expected on your part, you would also have full source code etc so that you may make your own modifications/customizations in the future.
If you decide to run with it and would like further modifications the rate is a 20BTC per hour in consulting fees for the design stage and a flat fee contract for delivery.

I am willing to do this for two reasons, first off it's being done anyways we may as well re-use it, and secondly bitcointalk provides a valuable service to the community and I want a chance to be part of that.

PM me if you are interested.

Interested in OpenPay?
https://github.com/openpay
Donate to show your appreciation and support the effort!

1LMDCSAwjhT2Vp1sSf62dybEYW3MYpsoZj

Pyramining Links - Help OpenPay and get a 10% bonus on your funds.
http://pyramining.com/referral/zre9ysgqt
http://pyramining.com/referral/ans9km72g
http://pyramining.com/referral/f3k4xebzp
http://pyramining.com/referral/nc3ag2sdb
rapeghost

Activity: 419
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 11, 2012, 06:01:30 PM

this will never happen.

ever
thechevalier

Activity: 40

View Profile
June 11, 2012, 11:54:52 PM

How was Vanilla found lacking? Seems like a solid piece of software to me.

I think it makes sense to tackle the problem in small increments. Start with an well crafted, easy to modify platform like Vanilla and add functionality via plugins. Pay bounties for each piece of needed functionality in the requirements gap. The overall requirements list is too overwhelming for any firm or individual to commit to.
rhino56

Activity: 35

View Profile
June 14, 2012, 12:12:44 AM

any reason not to use vbulletin?
thechevalier

Activity: 40

View Profile
June 14, 2012, 10:08:26 PM

any reason not to use vbulletin?

Well, it's not open source for one thing. It also seems kinda over-built and old fashioned. Sort of like SMF.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: