Bitcoin Forum
April 30, 2024, 07:51:09 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Heatsink Kits for Antminer S1, Has anyone used these?  (Read 7485 times)
faxfan2002

Activity: 83
Merit: 10

View Profile
March 18, 2014, 04:47:26 PM

I really doubt those heatsinks do anything.  I added a second fan to pull air out the back and that really helped a lot.  I tried a couple diffrent fans and this one really is da shit:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835553002

Get some #8-32 x 1-1/4" machine screws and #8-32 hex nut for a spacer and your golden.  Without the spacer the fan blades will hit the rivets and I broke a fan blade that way... pissed, it was a brand new fan!!!

These fans work fine (slightly intended) -

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0026ZPFCK/ref=oh_details_o01_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
If you see garbage posts (off-topic, trolling, spam, no point, etc.), use the "report to moderator" links. All reports are investigated, though you will rarely be contacted about your reports.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
tripppn

Activity: 756
Merit: 500

View Profile WWW
March 18, 2014, 05:04:41 PM

I haven't OCed yet. what do you guys find to be a good tolerable temp for these things?

Right now my ants are runnning at 45 with 2k fan speed.

“You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline - it helps if you have some kind of football team, or some nuclear weapons, but in the very least you need a beer.”
― Frank Zappa
AussieHash

Activity: 692

View Profile
March 18, 2014, 06:14:56 PM

I really doubt those heatsinks do anything.

Don't know if they help, but the bare ASIC and DCDC chips are too hot to touch normally. With the heatsinks the nearest DCDC and first 3 rows of ASICs are much cooler. When 2 ants are nearby the air leak "wind tunnel" cools a few more rows of ASIC chips with the heatsinks.

I have still seen one of my ants develop XXXX with the cougar fan and heatsinks, without a fall in mining performance.
googlemaster1 (OP)

Activity: 280
Merit: 250

View Profile
March 19, 2014, 11:01:17 PM

I really doubt those heatsinks do anything.  I added a second fan to pull air out the back and that really helped a lot.  I tried a couple diffrent fans and this one really is da shit:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835553002

Get some #8-32 x 1-1/4" machine screws and #8-32 hex nut for a spacer and your golden.  Without the spacer the fan blades will hit the rivets and I broke a fan blade that way... pissed, it was a brand new fan!!!

I have several of those same fans. They really are nice.

We ended up getting a rosewill fan that came with a grill, so we put the grill between the ant and the fan, and the grill presses into the screws sticking out enough to gap the fan. Not the nicest thing, but it works, is solid, and no broken blades!  Cheesy Cheesy

What the hell!  I was able to get those fans at half the price.... check TigerDirect Tongue.  Woof

BTC: 15565dcUp4LEWe6KYT7tawMHFRL4cBbFGN
jermwerty

Activity: 472

View Profile
March 19, 2014, 11:45:02 PM
Last edit: March 19, 2014, 11:56:17 PM by jermwerty

Why is everyone buying 1500 RPM max fans and putting them on the rear of ANTMINERs and think they do ANYTHING?     Huh

The fans that come WITH ANTMiners are good for almost 4000 RPM!  I would just trust a datacenter-intended fan any day over this "enthusiast" crap made to OC your i7...

I've just been buying the same model my Avalons had for $8:  (and honestly, if you compare an Avalon "module" to an ANTMiner "module" you can tell where the basic layout came from!)

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=201054730658

Not the right power connector but the fan is comparable to the "OEM" ANTMiner fan...  

Think about it this way, that Cougar fan is 60CFM.  That fan I linked to is 130CFM.  WANT COOLING?  GAME OVER.

Aussie - have you tried getting a molex to fan adapter and running the ANTMINER fan @ 100%?  If you are having overheating issues, thats one way to fix it!

(and yes, it will be LOUD)

precrime3

Activity: 84
Merit: 10

PM for journalist,typing,and data entry services.

View Profile WWW
March 20, 2014, 01:55:25 AM

Thats the problem, its loud. At least for me it is xD

AussieHash

View Profile
March 20, 2014, 07:32:02 AM

Why is everyone buying 1500 RPM max fans and putting them on the rear of ANTMINERs and think they do ANYTHING?     Huh

The fans that come WITH ANTMiners are good for almost 4000 RPM!  I would just trust a datacenter-intended fan any day over this "enthusiast" crap made to OC your i7...

Aussie - have you tried getting a molex to fan adapter and running the ANTMINER fan @ 100%?  If you are having overheating issues, thats one way to fix it!

My Jupiters are in a datacentre, but my 1TH of ants are at home, hence noise pollution is a consideration.  Even in hot weather I don't think i've seen the OEM ant fans go much above 3000RPM.  At that speed I agree the PWM cougar fan is interfering with the air output from the OEM fan (when it was running at 3000RPM).

I originally had all of my ants sitting on the foam base they were shipping on (with the 1" strips torn off).  This stops airflow under the ASIC boards.  

Since adding the heatsinks and Cougar fans, placing them flat on the table 5cm apart, I see Antminer temps of around 41-42 degrees and fan speeds of 2200-2400RPM at 400MHz with =< 1% errors.  (my newest ant only has heatsinks, no exhaust fan, and at 400MHz, is 43 degrees with 2220 RPM).

The Cougars came with optional  molex connectors and I am aware of a OEM fan wire mod to set the fan speed to max.   I've not explored either option.

Overall (in Aussie summer), I think i can keep my ants <47degrees without more than the above (Cougar fans + heatsinks), plus an open window.  Just make sure you don't sit your ants on the packing foam like I did !
sudoku

Activity: 126
Merit: 100

View Profile
March 20, 2014, 08:41:53 AM

Thats the problem, its loud. At least for me it is xD

The loudness doesn't bother as much as the whine which a couple of the fans has developed.

1SudokuNgdzsYuANDinxUBwKgfyv5cptW
aztecminer
Legendary

Activity: 1092
Merit: 1000

View Profile
March 21, 2014, 07:25:52 PM

so ... the overall consensus is that these heatsinks will add additional cooling of about 3 degrees ??

and i was wondering if anyone can tell me if there is a curing time for the heatsinks before the ant can be used again for hashing ??
AussieHash

View Profile
March 21, 2014, 08:16:09 PM

so ... the overall consensus is that these heatsinks will add additional cooling of about 3 degrees ??

and i was wondering if anyone can tell me if there is a curing time for the heatsinks before the ant can be used again for hashing ??

I put the heatsinks on whilst hashing. However just be careful not to touch the surrounding capacitors?/resistors or you'll see your Antminer short out and reboot.
crazyates
Legendary

Activity: 952
Merit: 1000

View Profile
March 21, 2014, 09:47:25 PM

I want to know if anyone measured a power drop from running the VRMs at a cooler temp? Ya? Anyone?  Grin Grin

Tips? 1crazy8pMqgwJ7tX7ZPZmyPwFbc6xZKM9
Previous Trade History - Sale Thread
GiLa

Activity: 44
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 24, 2014, 03:17:04 PM

If memory serves me well, copper is better for transferring the heat, while aluminium is better to dissipate the heat.

So therefore wouldn't copper heat sinks be better for this sort of applications?

I also live in Australia and fark me its been BS hot. So upon ordering my Antminer S1, I've been looking on ways on how to cool these beasts down.

All the forged copper heat sinks sizes that I can purchase within Australia are:

6.5mm x 6.5mm
10mm x 10mm
and 14mm x 14mm

http://lib.store.yahoo.net/lib/sidewindercomputers/bmrc1.jpg

now according to the specification listed, the physical dimensions are as follows:

The BM1380 chip is a QFN 56 with an overall dimension of 8mm x 8mm
The VRM is using IHLP5050 which according to Vishay is 12.9mm x 13.2mm

The main question I ask to other owners

Is there enough spacing between the asic chip and the capacitors to fit a 10mm x 10mm (given the copper ones are 0.6mm overall bigger than those ebay ones), hopefully this can be rectified by using 1.5mm Phobya Thermal Pad

Is there enough spacing between the VRM and the F12 capacitor to fit a 14mm x 14mm as it is overall 1.5mm bigger.

jomant

Activity: 39

View Profile
April 13, 2014, 06:32:29 AM

I worked on Z10 IBM Server Racks and I can tell you this. Exhaust fan always faster then the Intake for best performance. This is not a cute PC tower. Cool that thing like a Server. So try it out. Here the outcomes!

Stock fan intake with Mickey Mouse 1000 rpm fan as exhaust= Fast fan goes to 2-3000 rpm 1000 rpm fan can keep up and gets speed up by stronger air flow. There we have back-pressure and heat stays longer in place + pressure resistance for the faster fan. Just give it a shot and try it out. Use a external thermometer for the measurements.

2 the same fans can work great but on the long run the exhaust will work harder due to Pressure turbulence from the first fan (thats why ships have there propeller offset.) Due to previews sentence is the Lifespan of the fan lower, when the exhaust slows down due to that fact you will have the same issue in example 1

So I am new to the Bitcoin world but I needed to tell Business owners that they need a new rack due to overheating caused by a know it all programmer (I can't programmXD btw) replacing a exhaust fan what looks like the oem fan but was a 2000 instead a 4000 inside a closed IBM Z10 Paraboard Server Housing. The replacement cost $24.000  (that's the insurgence price. So you guys teach me overclocking stuff and I help u to keep ur Hardware alive Wink

ohhh I like the heatsink idea btw. Notice to at the first pictures that he aligned the fins towards the flow. I seen some nutcases putting them up.
I received my s1 in the mail couple  days ago. Still run the stock fan no OC work don't to it. I have the German designed Cougar fans as well but they blow from the side in a 45 degree angle from the main fan side aganst the blades. I ordered some Alu heat sinks (cooper is better but heavier as well and i dont trust the thermal glue stuff that much.) My future setup (in the next 3 weeks) is 2 Delta Fan's (they are very LOUD!!!). 2 the same fans but intake speed reduced by 25% where the Exhaust is hauling full power.

That will be a 60 dBA Setup but its the best cooling u can get (besides water or liquid nitrogen XD)
So don't put that in your bedroom. http://www.cwc-group.com/pfc1212de.html
I put mine in the storage room (almost empty with ac vent, live in super humid hot Florida)

jomant

View Profile
April 18, 2014, 05:07:21 PM
Last edit: April 19, 2014, 04:28:27 AM by jomant

Here the Update after overclocking and adding Heatsink's to the ASCI Chips (64) and the Converter chips ( 8 )

http://s26.postimg.org/9o51g751x/Antminer_Status.jpg
http://s26.postimg.org/fb1edo7kl/CAM00448.jpg

Due to my config I only get 0.69% Hardware errors and stay @42 Degrees C  

Here again the Error rate Formula: Error % = HW / ( HW + DiffA + DiffR) * 100

PS: Not a Delta Fan connected wait for my 50W controller Wink but with the stock fan and a cheap 120mm out of a old Tower I get down to 42. Guess for -3 degree with the delta it's not worth it when I see people OC temp of close to 50

googlemaster1 (OP)

Activity: 280

View Profile
April 19, 2014, 01:05:12 AM

Man Jomant, now I really want to get these again... I almost forgot about them.  I am about to overclock my Ants since they are out of warranty now anyway Smiley

BTC: 15565dcUp4LEWe6KYT7tawMHFRL4cBbFGN
jomant

View Profile
April 19, 2014, 02:02:09 AM

As I said. DON'T go full 400Hz. Look at mine it hits 200GH/s but low Hardware Error % and good Temp and don't for get the Heatsinks for the Converters (Total of 8 )
tranzsport

View Profile
April 19, 2014, 08:42:42 AM

As I said. DON'T go full 400Hz. Look at mine it hits 200GH/s but low Hardware Error % and good Temp and don't for get the Heatsinks for the Converters (Total of 8 )

may I ask what hex code you're using for 393 MHZ ?
I tried '5f82' but got 2.5% on many of my machines, but going for 387MHZ using hex code '5e82' seems to give me 0.5% error with 3 Ghz less total hash output. This seems to be consistent across atleast 10 of my S1 ants
jomant

View Profile
April 19, 2014, 05:57:40 PM

I tried '5f82' but got 2.5% on many of my machines, but going for 387MHZ using hex code '5e82' seems to give me 0.5% error with 3 Ghz less total hash output. This seems to be consistent across atleast 10 of my S1 ants

I am still a noob XD but I played around alot. Those settings are the best for speed and low HW Error % Rate
Maybe as a return you can help me to find a fan. 120mm 100-130 cfm by a lower then 50 dBA with max 1.05 Amp Put my Delta on the unit via direct power-supply gets the antminer down to 37 C.......but plus 4 Amps @65dBA. That is the noise level of a industrial floor cleaner.
BTW NEVER EVER put that thing on the Blade....EVER 4Amps pulls 45 Watt. So I assume the blade will burn off. Just a guess never tryed it.     

Jomant's Magic Settings for 200 GH/s and a Hardware Error Rate of 0.69 %
Tip me some BTC if it works for you Wink

option ‘freq_value’ ’5f05′
option ‘chip_freq’ ’393.75′
option ‘timeout’ ’36′
tranzsport

View Profile
April 19, 2014, 06:56:26 PM

I am still a noob XD but I played around alot. Those settings are the best for speed and low HW Error % Rate
Maybe as a return you can help me to find a fan. 120mm 100-130 cfm by a lower then 50 dBA with max 1.05 Amp Put my Delta on the unit via direct power-supply gets the antminer down to 37 C.......but plus 4 Amps @65dBA. That is the noise level of a industrial floor cleaner.
BTW NEVER EVER put that thing on the Blade....EVER 4Amps pulls 45 Watt. So I assume the blade will burn off. Just a guess never tryed it.     

option ‘timeout’ ’36′

tried these settings and got the same error rate as my previos hex settings Sad
maybe its my miners.

but regarding the fan,
I use the stock fan as intake and a delta AFC1212DE as an exhuast on the other end.
you get the same results if you use the stock fan as exhaust and the delta as intake.
Just make sure to cut the blue wire on the additional fan you buy so it runs at full speed the whole time, otherwise it wont properly sense the voltage coming from the miner to adjust rpm.

the delta is 51 dB with 200 CFM and uses 1.3A @12vdc so no big deal taking that power from the board. I have 25 ants with these fans as exhaust running for at least a month with no problems.

you can find it for $8 shipped on ebay just type in AFC1212DE
jomant

View Profile
April 19, 2014, 07:03:35 PM

option ‘timeout’ ’36′

tried these settings and got the same error rate as my previos hex settings Sad
maybe its my miners.

but regarding the fan,
I use the stock fan as intake and a delta AFC1212DE as an exhuast on the other end.
you get the same results if you use the stock fan as exhaust and the delta as intake.
Just make sure to cut the blue wire on the additional fan you buy so it runs at full speed the whole time, otherwise it wont properly sense the voltage coming from the miner to adjust rpm.

the delta is 51 dB with 200 CFM and uses 1.3A @12vdc so no big deal taking that power from the board. I have 25 ants with these fans as exhaust running for at least a month with no problems.

you can find it for $8 shipped on ebay just type in AFC1212DE

Ahh ok I got the TFC1212DE @3.90A yours pulls only 1.6A what is awesome due to that it produces good pressure. Cool
About your issue:
I use a 650W power supply and got the heatsinks for ASIC and Converter on as seen above. What is ur temp?

Ohh PS do me a favor and unplug ur delta and hook it up to direct power from ur power supply just to see if the 1 extra amp less fixes the issue.

If you have TeamSpeak and a headset let me know. I am not to shy to talk to people !!!
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: