Bitcoin Forum
April 28, 2024, 04:00:49 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: S9 MOTHERBOARD DAMAGED  (Read 249 times)
CarlosBTCS9 (OP)

Activity: 3
Merit: 0

View Profile
November 09, 2018, 12:55:24 PM
Last edit: November 09, 2018, 11:14:00 PM by frodocooper

Hello All,

I bought a new S9 machine from bitmain. It worked fine for three months but then the machine shut down.

Checking the motherboard, we found that one transistor was damaged.

Does anyone know what the transistor model is in order to replace it?

The transistor is located next to the three capacitors blue and grey?

Thank in advance for your help.
BitcoinCleanup.com: Learn why Bitcoin isn't bad for the environment
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
fanatic26_

Activity: 294
Merit: 129

View Profile
November 09, 2018, 05:22:16 PM

This is one of those cases where a picture is worth a thousand words...
CarlosBTCS9 (OP)

View Profile
November 09, 2018, 05:33:29 PM
Last edit: November 09, 2018, 11:14:18 PM by frodocooper

Here you go! Smiley

https://imgur.com/a/vNKdbvh

I'm pointing with the pen the damaged component.
sohail289

Activity: 9

View Profile
November 09, 2018, 06:51:30 PM

buy removing this damage hashboard machine will turn on?? other two boards are working??? and warranty??
NotFuzzyWarm
Legendary

Activity: 3612
Merit: 2507

Evil beware: We have waffles!

View Profile
November 09, 2018, 07:10:26 PM

Is not a transistor. Is either a resistor or capacitor. Look at the same part on a good board and you will see a very tiny component number on the PCB next to the part, something like R123 or C123. If 'R' then is a resistor, if 'C' then is a capacitor. Then look at the good component itself and you should see a tiny number on it identifying the actual mfg part number. Search for the number on Google using  "resistor (or capacitor) <number>"  to find a supplier for it.

Just disconnect the ribbon cable and power from bad board and miner will run just fine with just 2 and even 1 hash board.

- For bitcoin to succeed the community must police itself -    My info useful? Donations welcome! 1FuzzyWc2J8TMqeUQZ8yjE43Rwr7K3cxs9
 -Sole remaining active developer of cgminer, Kano's repo is here
-Support Sidehacks miner development. Donations to:   1BURGERAXHH6Yi6LRybRJK7ybEm5m5HwTr
CarlosBTCS9 (OP)

View Profile
November 09, 2018, 07:18:33 PM

Thanks very much for your help.

I'm going to remove the hashboard and try to turn the machine on.

I'll keep you all posted.

Thanks again
tim-bc

Activity: 538
Merit: 175

View Profile
November 12, 2018, 04:59:14 PM

If you have any other dead / scrap boards you can take the part you need from there instead of buying it online.

Ignore scammers on Skype, Telegram, etc. I will only ever contact you via forum PMs. See profile for fingerprint.
BitMaxz
Legendary

Activity: 3234
Merit: 2943

Block halving is coming.

View Profile WWW
November 12, 2018, 11:55:29 PM
Last edit: November 13, 2018, 11:27:04 PM by frodocooper

Is not a transistor. Is either a resistor or capacitor. Look at the same part on a good board and you will see a very tiny component number on the PCB next to the part, something like R123 or C123. If 'R' then is a resistor, if 'C' then is a capacitor. Then look at the good component itself and you should see a tiny number on it identifying the actual mfg part number. Search for the number on Google using  "resistor (or capacitor) <number>"  to find a supplier for it.

Just disconnect the ribbon cable and power from bad board and miner will run just fine with just 2 and even 1 hash board.

Honestly, the color of the part is brown or orange so it is not a resistor if you can check the hashboard circuit diagram it should be a C123.
Resistor color is black, you can check the image below as a sample of resistor and capacitor.

According to OP's image, I don't see any name under the capacitor unless if you have hashboard schematic diagram?

@OP I think if you don't have scrap hashboard you can try to find capacitor in other devices like mobile phones just make sure its the same color and size and you must have a multitester to check if the board is shorted or not after you change the capacitor just to make sure no other components can be damaged due to shorted capacitor.

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████
███████████▄
████████████▄
██▄█████▀█████▄
▄█████████▀█████▀
███████████▀██▀
████▀█████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
c.h.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
▄██████▄▄▄
█████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███░░█████████
███▌▐█████████
█████████████
███████████▀
██████████▀
████████▀
▀██▀▀
lightfoot
Legendary

Activity: 3094
Merit: 2239

I fix broken miners. And make holes in teeth :-)

View Profile
November 13, 2018, 12:11:39 PM
Last edit: November 13, 2018, 11:27:36 PM by frodocooper

It's a capacitor, and based on the location, size, and big connection to the ground plane I'm guessing it's a filter/noise capacitor and not a part of the RC current sensing system. If you're good with a soldering iron and some chip-quik I'd say try removing it, then see if the board works. If it does replace it with a 3.3-4.7uf capacitor, that should provide enough filtering to reduce noise on the board.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: