Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 04:24:01 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Why are the Occulus rift sales stalling?  (Read 197 times)
JealousCup (OP)

Activity: 28
Merit: 1

View Profile
November 08, 2018, 11:35:18 PM
Merited by Vod (1)

Despite the fact that prices for OR headsets and compatible hardware have been decreasing since their first launch and the constant developments in the technology used to build them, it appears that their sales and usage stats are still struggling to go up when compared with other tech products.
What would be the improvements needed to make the OR more mainstream?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Remember that Bitcoin is still beta software. Don't put all of your money into BTC!
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Vod
Legendary

Activity: 3682
Merit: 3050

Licking my boob since 1970

View Profile WWW
November 08, 2018, 11:43:14 PM

Despite the fact that prices for OR headsets and compatible hardware have been decreasing since their first launch and the constant developments in the technology used to build them, it appears that their sales and usage stats are still struggling to go up when compared with other tech products.

I prefer augmented reality over virtual.  And I think a lot of people do too.  Smiley

https://nastyscam.com - landing page up     https://vod.fan - advanced image hosting - coming soon!
OGNasty has early onset dementia; keep this in mind when discussing his past actions.
JealousCup (OP)

View Profile
November 09, 2018, 12:12:23 AM

I prefer augmented reality over virtual.  And I think a lot of people do too.  Smiley

Well can't the two technologies be combined? Don't you think that it would be more successful and provide more opportunities for the companies which have already started integrating immersive technologies in their business models?
Vod
Legendary

Activity: 3682
Merit: 3050

Licking my boob since 1970

View Profile WWW
November 09, 2018, 12:14:57 AM

Well can't the two technologies be combined? Don't you think that it would be more successful and provide more opportunities for the companies which have already started integrating immersive technologies in their business models?

I don't think they can be combined.  VR immerses you in an alternate visual reality, while AR enhances what you see.

Both are useful (VR for training for example) but I think eventually AR will win.

https://bigthink.com/mike-colagrossi/gamifying-reality-how-ar-and-vr-will-combine-to-transform-experience

https://nastyscam.com - landing page up     https://vod.fan - advanced image hosting - coming soon!
OGNasty has early onset dementia; keep this in mind when discussing his past actions.
samescrew235

Merit: 0

View Profile
November 09, 2018, 01:03:08 AM

Maybe people are just waiting for the Quest or the Rift S next year. Some say that will help VR go mainstream.
JealousCup (OP)

View Profile
November 09, 2018, 09:45:31 PM

I still think that both technologies can be combined. Mixed reality is currently beingdeveloped and seems like a promising technology for gaming/working/traveling, you name it!
axel20

View Profile
November 11, 2018, 01:24:30 PM

Wait, is this still under development?  I thought the project was abondoned?
JealousCup (OP)

View Profile
November 17, 2018, 01:02:16 AM

Wait, is this still under development?  I thought the project was abondoned?

No, it's still ongoing and Facebook has even already planned the launch of its new AR glasses. But we don't know what will come out of it yet because of the lack of confidence in the company because of the data leak scandals.
MaJes-ty

Merit: 0

View Profile
November 26, 2018, 01:11:22 AM

Oculus Quest which is labeled as the first VR console will be launching next year. Maybe people are waiting for that? Some say it could help push VR towards going mainstream. What do you think?
JealousCup (OP)

View Profile
November 28, 2018, 11:21:45 PM

Oculus Quest which is labeled as the first VR console will be launching next year. Maybe people are waiting for that? Some say it could help push VR towards going mainstream. What do you think?
It might, but let's not forget that the tech sector is basically a monopoly so we should expect the firms like FB/Google not to be too transparent about the data they collect in virtual spaces.
baldmonk

Activity: 42

View Profile
January 14, 2019, 11:28:56 AM

The headsets are a bit clumsy and a lot of people complain that their head hurts after using it for a while.
It just needs some improvements. But still pretty cool to play in VR.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: