Bitcoin Forum
May 05, 2024, 04:02:14 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitcoind requests  (Read 198 times)
MadGamer (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1568
Merit: 1031

View Profile
November 13, 2018, 12:57:04 PM

I've never made an application before but I'm planning to do that and I don't want to use external APIs. Instead, I want to run bitcoind and run commands myself

My question is this, If if ever make the app public, how many requests could my full node handle exactly? or it doesn't matter and It's just a matter of bandwidth of the hosting I'm using?
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
bob123
Legendary

Activity: 1624
Merit: 2481

View Profile WWW
November 13, 2018, 03:02:41 PM

The amount of request your personal core instance can handle depends on your hardware.

The CPU and Disk I/O are the main bottleneck. Your network bandwidth will probably allow more requests than your hardware can handle.

I can't give you an exact (or estimated) number since i haven't tried overwhelming my full node yet  Cheesy

MadGamer (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1568
Merit: 1031

View Profile
November 15, 2018, 11:59:33 AM

I thought that bitcoind is the right thing to use because I assumed that most of the exchanges, blockexplorer out there use it. If they don't use that and not bitcore either, what do they use then?
mocacinno
Legendary

Activity: 3388
Merit: 4919

https://merel.mobi => buy facemasks with BTC/LTC

View Profile WWW
November 15, 2018, 12:00:45 PM

I thought that bitcoind is the right thing to use because I assumed that most of the exchanges, blockexplorer out there use it. If they don't use that and not bitcore either, what do they use then?

I suppose most exchanges do use bitcoind (an educated guess based on reviewing leaked sourcecode of some exchanges in the past). I think the amount of calls is relative, and like others have said: a lot depends on your hardware... When you run an exchange, i don't think you'll be making dozens of json-rpc calls a second... You basically need to request new deposit addresses whenever a clients requests a new address manually, and let bitcoin core call an external command on incoming blocks and transactions funding one of it's monitored addresses...

If you're storing everything on SSD's in a proper raid config, setup a good cache, a decent CPU, fast ram,... I guess you should be able to run a decent size exchange on one or two nodes.

I have tried running a bitcore explorer a long time ago, and if i remember correctly, bitcore was actually using a fork of bitcoin core with only minor changes to the sourcecode (most changes were made in order to be able to build more indexes if i'm not mistaking)... So i guess you should also be able to run a decent size block explorer using bitcoin core.

EDIT: https://github.com/bitpay/bitcoin/tree/v1.15.1-nobig Smiley

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀