Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 11:09:18 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: US Department Of Justice Goes After Bitfinex And Tether (USDT)  (Read 199 times)
tuthienloc92bk (OP)

Activity: 364
Merit: 34

Fast, Smart, Trustworthy

View Profile
November 25, 2018, 10:19:59 AM

I have noticed this article from Cryptocoin.News. I think this is one of the reasons why the market has fallen in recent days. That time is really hard for the crypto market.

US Department Of Justice Goes After Bitfinex And Tether (USDT)

According to Bloomberg, the United States Department of Justice has opened an investigation against Bitfinex and its stablecoin, Tether (USDT), for alleged market manipulation during the Bitcoin (BTC) rally that occurred last year, which led BTC to reach $20,000 at the time.

Although charges have not been made against the cryptocurrency exchange, the authorities are investigating the matter further to settle claims for multiple community members and financial experts that have led to the particular conclusion of market manipulation.

The investigation could not come at a worse time, especially with the bear trend the market is experiencing right now and the drop in prices. In less than a week, Bitcoin (BTC) experienced a drop in prices of about 15%, reaching new lots and hanging around the $4,000 – $4,500 mark, a price that had not been seen since last year. The rest of the market has also been affected by this major drop.

I just quoted some main points. More details in source link.

What do you think if Bitfinex And Tether is convicted?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Unlike traditional banking where clients have only a few account numbers, with Bitcoin people can create an unlimited number of accounts (addresses). This can be used to easily track payments, and it improves anonymity.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
damberg

Activity: 658
Merit: 108

View Profile
November 25, 2018, 10:36:32 AM

I have noticed this article from Cryptocoin.News. I think this is one of the reasons why the market has fallen in recent days. That time is really hard for the crypto market.

According to Bloomberg, the United States Department of Justice has opened an investigation against Bitfinex and its stablecoin, Tether (USDT), for alleged market manipulation during the Bitcoin (BTC) rally that occurred last year, which led BTC to reach $20,000 at the time.

Although charges have not been made against the cryptocurrency exchange, the authorities are investigating the matter further to settle claims for multiple community members and financial experts that have led to the particular conclusion of market manipulation.

The investigation could not come at a worse time, especially with the bear trend the market is experiencing right now and the drop in prices. In less than a week, Bitcoin (BTC) experienced a drop in prices of about 15%, reaching new lots and hanging around the $4,000 – $4,500 mark, a price that had not been seen since last year. The rest of the market has also been affected by this major drop.

I guess Bitfinex will not be found guilty of market manipulation. If there were any evidence of such manipulation, I bet they are already gone and destroyed. However, DoJ might find something shady ...
Ghebung Masam

Activity: 280
Merit: 10

Bcnex - The Ultimate Blockchain Trading Platform

View Profile
November 25, 2018, 10:46:04 AM

I guess Bitfinex will not be found guilty of market manipulation. If there were any evidence of such manipulation, I bet they are already gone and destroyed. However, DoJ might find something shady ...
yes, that's what I thought, why are they too late to do it, because this incident almost 1 year has passed. has this been planned to worsen the market? very suspicious?

Yaddady

Activity: 112
Merit: 1

View Profile
November 25, 2018, 12:00:08 PM

Seems to me like a well coordinated and planned set of events with all these SEC and DoJ probes and sanctions. This to me are intended to crash the market in its entirety and destroy the crypto space. Bitcoin and cryptos in general are a threat their fiat and they'll do all in their power to suppress it.
Cryptomilz
Copper Member

Activity: 182
Merit: 2

View Profile
November 25, 2018, 12:22:20 PM

Becoming sick and tired of waking up to one negative press or the other. And it seems to me as though the SEC and the Department of Justice are on a mission to further distress the market and make it unattractive to investors and players. Should Bitfinex go under as a result of this, it would be a major blow to the space.
bgpsq

Activity: 238
Merit: 100

View Profile
November 25, 2018, 12:25:22 PM

This is pretty old news, recent (yesterday) drop was caused by? There was some bad news yesterday? Because yesterday market dropped again and lost around 15% and I cant find the reason why.
kingvirtus09

Activity: 826
Merit: 108

View Profile WWW
November 25, 2018, 01:52:33 PM

That's not a big news though. Market drops definitely when miners got engaged on forks and they had alot of controversy that will led to a marketselloff and ofcourse people in crypto space is waiting for a bull run in upcoming season.

jakiro.hovard

Activity: 504
Merit: 100

View Profile
November 25, 2018, 01:58:01 PM

To be honest, very different conversations have been going on for a very long time about what happens to the USDT and how the government reacts to this project, why there are so many fears that this project behaves very vaguely and there is no transparency for sure.
kamar25

Activity: 161
Merit: 1

View Profile
November 25, 2018, 02:02:12 PM

my opinion about Bitfinex and Thether if they really did make a mistake, clearly must be punished. but I am still confused about what law they deserve

IRONX         
 THE BEST IN TRADING     |     THE BEST IN CRYPTO
Fully Regulated
rickadone
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1024

View Profile
November 27, 2018, 02:03:39 PM

It was already known that tether is a criminal organization and bitfinex was the base of operations for it. This is not interesting because department of justice is basically looking into something that looks criminal to begin with so it is not shocking to anyone.

There will be a lot of FUD news that we will see these days because price is low and there are people who want it lower so there will be bad news going on in order to keep it low without spending too much money on it. However, they should realize that bitcoin and crypto people already done with tether and no one trusts it anymore. They have an offshore account that confirms how much money they have and if they were so honest they would have moved their money into a more trustworthy bank already but they didn't. They keep working with some offshore shady bank instead.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: