Bitcoin Forum
May 02, 2024, 05:04:51 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Our bitcoin private key will be in danger, sometime in the future  (Read 534 times)
MakeMoneyBtc

Activity: 1092
Merit: 117

View Profile
May 06, 2019, 08:51:46 AM

A privat key is formed out of 256 characters and the combinations of numbers you can optain is a number you cant even imagine(because it's a number that's 78 digits long). A person couldn't possibly find out your private key even if they would try their whole life. If we are talking about supercomputers, I don't think there is any computer that could crack a combination of this kind. Maybe in the future something will be invented, but we are talking about a future that's far away from us.
"If you don't want people to know you're a scumbag then don't be a scumbag." -- margaritahuyan
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
goodday886 (OP)

Activity: 210
Merit: 5

The Future of Security Tokens

View Profile
May 06, 2019, 12:15:40 PM

i think the private key of Bitcoin should not be a fixed 256 bit. it should be able to change in an interval. the user can select the number of digits of its private key. For example: between 500 characters and 256 characters.

Why is it a public number: 256 bits?
The character of the private key is a privacy. The number of digits in the private key should also be a privacy.

First, you should know that cryptography is a very-very serious field, many computer scientists and mathematicians have devoted their lives to study it. There are huge incentives to break cryptography, so if someone will indeed find a flaw, it won't be an amateur like you. You should relax about the fundamentals and instead spend your time how to secure other things.

And to answer your questions, zero bits are still bits. According to Bitcoin wiki, keys starting from 0x01 are valid, so they don't have to literally be 256 non-zero bits. And your proposal of "varying key length" would do absolutely nothing, because for all purposes keys would just be padded with zeroes to maximum key length.

Many people don't fully understand my post. Maybe my expression is not clear enough. You

read my post. I am not very proficient in encryption.

However, I think: the length of the password should be a password. The length of the

encrypted private key should also be a secret. If the user can set a 257-bit private key

or a 358-bit private key. It will be safer.

If : Quantity of Bitcoin accounts = X  , 256 numbers and letters all possible combinations = Y  .

X is always growing, and Y is constant. When X approaches Y, our private key will be in

danger. People enter any combination of 256 numbers and letters, which may be a private

key.
izanagi narukami
Legendary

Activity: 2030
Merit: 1028

View Profile
May 06, 2019, 12:23:00 PM

When everything is on internet, it is hackable.
So the protection must being made on both side.

From user side, they need to update the devide or website with newer version
From the developer side, they need to upgrade everytime because system that made by human can be hacked by human

Smiley
uray

Activity: 1400
Merit: 505

View Profile
May 06, 2019, 02:09:42 PM

When everything is on internet, it is hackable.
So the protection must being made on both side.
Everything that is not secured can be hacked but that cannot be the case with everything and certainly not bitcoin, bitcoin is also a virtual platform and there is no way that anyone could hack them, at least with the technology we have now  Wink.

@OP The private key is no way in danger in the near future and in the distant future if there is a technology that could penetrate we will see a major upgrade and it is near impossible to predict the private keys just like that. The possibility of collision is much greater than having a good guess and even if collision happens you wont be able to empty the wallet of the other person.
hatshepsut93
Legendary

Activity: 2954
Merit: 2145

View Profile
May 06, 2019, 02:58:01 PM
Merited by ABCbits (1)

I am not very proficient in encryption.

However, I think: the length of the password should be a password. The length of the

encrypted private key should also be a secret. If the user can set a 257-bit private key

Sorry, but if you don't know anything about cryptography, you shouldn't be allowed to have any strong opinions on what's safe and what's not. This not to insult you, but to protect you from yourself - it's quite common for people to start rolling their own crypto because they don't understand crypto in the first place, and they think that their solutions are safer than industry standards. You should really read a few books about cryptography and read some quality discussions on the Internet (crypto stackexchange and /r/crypto are great places, for starters).

.BEST.CHANGE..███████████████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
███████████████
..BUY/ SELL CRYPTO..
goodday886 (OP)

Activity: 210

The Future of Security Tokens

View Profile
May 06, 2019, 03:10:27 PM

I am not very proficient in encryption.

Sorry, but if you don't know anything about cryptography, you shouldn't be allowed to have any strong opinions on what's safe and what's not. This not to insult you, but to protect you from yourself - it's quite common for people to start rolling their own crypto because they don't understand crypto in the first place, and they think that their solutions are safer than industry standards. You should really read a few books about cryptography and read some quality discussions on the Internet (crypto stackexchange and /r/crypto are great places, for starters).

Maybe I am wrong. Thank you for your answer
Mrsparks

Activity: 406

I-CHAIN - The Revolution of Digital Advertising

View Profile WWW
May 06, 2019, 08:45:10 PM

We all know that Bitcoin's private key consists of 256 numbers or letters. However, with the adoption of bitcoin on a large scale. BTC accounts will be more and more. When the number of Bitcoin accounts is large enough, any 256 numbers and combinations of letters may be a private key. People can rely on guesswork to get bitcoin in their account.

i think the private key of Bitcoin should not be a fixed 256 bit. it should be able to change in an interval. the user can select the number of digits of its private key. For example: between 500 characters and 256 characters.

Why is it a public number: 256 bits?
The character of the private key is a privacy. The number of digits in the private key should also be a privacy.
Well to an extent your opinion are true... I  think more needs to be done to secure the use of bitcoin.. The devices and mechanisms of hackers/scammers is getting better by the day.. Even emerging technologies pose a threat to blockchain technology in general.. I think we shouldnt wait for this hackers to strike by manufacturing and jail breaking bitcoin private keys before we seek improved means of securing the privacy,  consistency and integrity of the blockchain.

[     I C A      |      icacoin.com      |      IEO is live on Sept 2019     ]
━ ━━━   The Revolution of Digital Advertising   ━━━ ━
Adriano2010

Activity: 1414
Merit: 516

View Profile WWW
May 06, 2019, 08:54:16 PM

I want also to know, i think will be hard to brute forced private key even with super computer, but if that will be possible that will also affect hardware wallets right?
Pages: « 1 2 [3]  All
  Print  

Jump to: