Bitcoin Forum
May 06, 2024, 04:46:46 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Awesome Miners Antminer S9 firmware  (Read 977 times)
Artemis3
Legendary

Activity: 2030
Merit: 1563

CLEAN non GPL infringing code made in Rust lang

View Profile WWW
September 10, 2019, 02:23:32 PM

As we cannot make the mining fee lower, the only option left that I can see would be to make Awesome Miner not consuming any licenses as long as you are running Antminers with our firmware. We would have to investigate this more, but it might be either license + 2% mining fee or no license requirements + 2.5% mining fee for example. Everyone may not like the concept, but it's an option - just like using this firmware is an option.

Please note that my comments in the section above is just about exploring possibilities based on the topic we discuss - it's not something we have in the pipeline or decided to go for. Please consider this point when reading the statements above. Thanks!

This sounds like a more fair compromise, i was thinking the exact same thing...

Thanks for the very accurate answer; honestly I’m surprised that your developer staff doesn’t have the skills and resources to develop a custom firmare based on original BM source side!

I could do it even by myself with my limited programming experience if only I wish to invest some time on a project like that; however it would be a nonsense for the limited miners I have to manage and most of all, the  wide availability of free open source solution currently available for free.

I think that Awesome Miner (that is definitely not a cheap product...) should have had to offer his his solution to their customers for free as did by SlushPool with Brains OS, that is neither restricted to run in their pool!

A matter of style before any other economic or technical onside consideration, but again, it’s just my humble opinion.
You are correct that there are some older source code available for S9, but it's not up-to-date and lacks features. And going forward, it's way more complicated on S15 and S17 where there is nothing to start from. As we need to maintain focus on delivering good solutions for monitoring and management of mining operations, we see firmware as something where we need partnerships and integrations rather than investing in the development ourselves. It would of course be nice if we could do all this on our own, but it's unfortunately not realistic for us based on our observations.

It's very nice of the Braiins team to release BraiinsOS free of charge, open source and with full flexibility. I fully agree with your point here. But as we don't have the other income sources as I assume they have with Slushpool, we don't have the luxury of giving away the solutions we develop. We always try to be as nice and flexible as possible to make our customers happy, but at the end of the day we also need to run a sustainable business in order to support our customers long term.

Perhaps you are already aware of the Slushpool next endeavor: Replacing cgminer with their own fork (also open source) made in the rust language. They are calling it bOSminer i think, and is about to be presented publicly. It was needed among other reasons due to the need to integrate newer hardware, and the lack of interest to update or maintain cgminer from their own developers.

With this it is expected they will add support for more asic miners beyond the S9 and T1. For newer miners i think it will be a matter of time before they get dissected and better understood. I wouldn't expect api compatibility, they will probably change things, but its fully open so you can adjust your monitor for it (again). Yeah i know, but remember it was Bitmain that changed cgminer, not the other way around lol.

██████
███████
███████
████████
BRAIINS OS+|AUTOTUNING
MINING FIRMWARE
|
Increase hashrate on your Bitcoin ASICs,
improve efficiency as much as 25%, and
get 0% pool fees on Braiins Pool
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print