Bitcoin Forum
May 02, 2024, 02:39:25 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: The Reality of a Virtual World is Closer Than We Think  (Read 209 times)
IndigoRed (OP)

Activity: 196
Merit: 1

View Profile
October 16, 2018, 01:29:44 AM
Last edit: October 16, 2018, 05:40:20 AM by IndigoRed

Virternity Project was launched this week. What is it? It aims to explore immortality via a virtual realm using technologies such as virtual and augmented realities, as well as blockchain. According to the website, it has two main goals:  Immortality of human identity and halting the race for resources (human immortality and saving Planet Earth). I'm sure you have lots of questions, but the website is pretty comprehensive in tackling the details.

https://virternity.com/virternity

Wow. So digital immortality really is possible? What do you think?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"Bitcoin: mining our own business since 2009" -- Pieter Wuille
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
CarTrick

Activity: 34
Merit: 0

View Profile
October 16, 2018, 07:50:30 AM

So our consciousness gets to be digitized in order to live forever? Interesting. Something to consider when we're old and gray? haha... I wonder how much it costs though. And I guess this will be competing with Elon Musk's projects?
CreamIce

Activity: 126

View Profile
November 14, 2018, 05:37:10 AM

Virternity Project was launched this week. What is it? It aims to explore immortality via a virtual realm using technologies such as virtual and augmented realities, as well as blockchain. According to the website, it has two main goals:  Immortality of human identity and halting the race for resources (human immortality and saving Planet Earth). I'm sure you have lots of questions, but the website is pretty comprehensive in tackling the details.

As far as I know, there's a comprehensive research going on to find the links and codes to human brain. Whether we will be able to understand consciousness is something time will tell. But it certainly is mind boggling and almost always believe that if a human brain can think of an idea, it may sound unrealistic and complex to achieve but we can definitely achieve it.
trust09man

Activity: 15

View Profile
November 14, 2018, 06:50:38 AM

I am not sure if this would happen in my lifetime but I do hope it does. Even if its not a complete transformation and we just get to feel how it would be to live in a virtual world, I am up for it. Just imagining it so amazing.
Vod
Legendary

Activity: 3682
Merit: 3056

Licking my boob since 1970

View Profile WWW
November 14, 2018, 03:44:22 PM

So, we live forever in a virtual reality?  You would still need physical bodies to maintain the equipment creating this virtual world.

How are these people supposed to live when the air becomes toxic in a few decades?

VR will not save the human race.  Only real action, starting about twenty years ago, could have.

https://nastyscam.com - landing page up     https://vod.fan - advanced image hosting - coming soon!
OGNasty has early onset dementia; keep this in mind when discussing his past actions.
SneakyLady

Activity: 114
Merit: 2

View Profile
November 14, 2018, 04:11:04 PM

Yeah that's their long-term goal to attract attention, but you have to look at the problems they're solving or are attempting to solve right now.

In their case it appears to be a distributed exchange network/escrow system.

I've seen the interface of the network. It does look very user-friendly, but I find it lacks image capability to see what the hell you're buying. Maybe they'll somehow integrate VR into this?

Anyways, I do like the idea of being forced to succeed at each step of the way. (Each development is supposed to pay for the financing of the next.)
IndigoRed (OP)

View Profile
November 14, 2018, 11:25:38 PM

I am not sure if this would happen in my lifetime but I do hope it does. Even if its not a complete transformation and we just get to feel how it would be to live in a virtual world, I am up for it. Just imagining it so amazing.

Although the technology already exists according to the website, all may come to fruition decades from now. ☹ Quite unfortunate for us, huh? We’ll still be part of the journey though, I’d like to believe. What excites you about being in a virtual world? The endless possibilities? The possibility of immortality?
IndigoRed (OP)

View Profile
November 14, 2018, 11:31:57 PM

So, we live forever in a virtual reality?  You would still need physical bodies to maintain the equipment creating this virtual world.

How are these people supposed to live when the air becomes toxic in a few decades?

VR will not save the human race.  Only real action, starting about twenty years ago, could have.

Well, according to the website, part of the project's goal is to help save the earth. How? By having a virtual world, society won't need to use up the earth's resources anymore and thus, the planet could start to heal itself.
It is also indicated that one could go back and forth from virtual to physical. But for such a huge project, of course a lot of research and testing still needs to be done. But the technology for it already exists.
IndigoRed (OP)

View Profile
November 16, 2018, 12:25:28 AM

Yeah that's their long-term goal to attract attention, but you have to look at the problems they're solving or are attempting to solve right now.

In their case it appears to be a distributed exchange network/escrow system.

I've seen the interface of the network. It does look very user-friendly, but I find it lacks image capability to see what the hell you're buying. Maybe they'll somehow integrate VR into this?

Anyways, I do like the idea of being forced to succeed at each step of the way. (Each development is supposed to pay for the financing of the next.)

Right, their crowdfunding project. Makes sense to have one for such a large project right? I think it's clever to have this product that not only serves as a financial instrument and investment, but will also serve as the economic cornerstone for Virtnernity.
trust09man

Activity: 15

View Profile
November 16, 2018, 08:11:47 AM

Although the technology already exists according to the website, all may come to fruition decades from now. ☹ Quite unfortunate for us, huh? We’ll still be part of the journey though, I’d like to believe. What excites you about being in a virtual world? The endless possibilities? The possibility of immortality?

It fascinates me. I mean immortality is great and all but a Virtual world gives you an opportunity to explore beyond your physical limitations. This in itself is intriguing.
What do you think, will virtual world be similar to real world? Or will we unlearn what we know and learn the ways of the new world?
coinexplorer1

Activity: 14

View Profile
November 16, 2018, 11:48:24 AM

I think we live in an era when this will become a reality and maybe even to the point of being dangerous. Already at the moment people can have access to virtual reality from their own homes and for some people it's definitely more interesting than their own lives...  What happens if one day they decide not to ever leave their house anymore as the alternative world offers limitless possibilities.
St_3179

Activity: 45

View Profile
November 16, 2018, 11:49:55 AM

In some sense we already have digital immortality - take a look at FB with all the accounts of the deceased... Well obviously noone manages them or is active. But that already is like a graveyard. What feel will digital immortality give. Quite eerie thought really.
IndigoRed (OP)

View Profile
November 20, 2018, 12:13:30 AM

It fascinates me. I mean immortality is great and all but a Virtual world gives you an opportunity to explore beyond your physical limitations. This in itself is intriguing.
What do you think, will virtual world be similar to real world? Or will we unlearn what we know and learn the ways of the new world?

It really is a fascinating concept. In my opinion, the virtual world will be very much similar to our own. I guess it will help if things looked familiar? But a better version for sure. That way we won’t need to unlearn what we know, but we simply enhance what we know or what we’ve been accustomed to.
MaJes-ty

Activity: 28

View Profile
November 23, 2018, 01:22:34 AM

In some sense we already have digital immortality - take a look at FB with all the accounts of the deceased... Well obviously noone manages them or is active. But that already is like a graveyard. What feel will digital immortality give. Quite eerie thought really.

But it's sort of comforting to know that in some way, we can use technology to save both the planet and humanity.
Agnatez

Activity: 33

View Profile
November 23, 2018, 08:58:49 AM

Honestly, I wouldn’t really like, that AI would enter our life. I believe, that this will destroy the world and human's relations.
Blanca_Gregory

Activity: 72

View Profile
November 23, 2018, 12:24:00 PM

If what the website claims is true and possible, they will be saving the planet AND achieve digital immortality at the same time. The question, however, is how are they planning to achieve that? Because we all know how virtual reality works, and for it to work, we still need our bodies functioning. Are we going to be put in some pods with VR headsets plugged into our heads? Or do we have to give up our lives and have our minds/consciousness synced into a computer? If this works, it could change our lives, but for now... it's a bit hard to believe it true and possible, right?
IndigoRed (OP)

View Profile
November 27, 2018, 12:19:16 AM

If what the website claims is true and possible, they will be saving the planet AND achieve digital immortality at the same time. The question, however, is how are they planning to achieve that? Because we all know how virtual reality works, and for it to work, we still need our bodies functioning. Are we going to be put in some pods with VR headsets plugged into our heads? Or do we have to give up our lives and have our minds/consciousness synced into a computer? If this works, it could change our lives, but for now... it's a bit hard to believe it true and possible, right?

According the Virternity’s roadmap as indicated on the website, “The power and capabilities of modern computers by this time will allow the upload of a digitized consciousness generated by a mixed reality sensor system. Technology will enable sharing of memories with others.”
Extensive experimentation will enable the creation of “digital copies” of human personalities in the virtual world. Experimentation with copies will protect original human personalities from possible damage in this early phase.
What is the process exactly? I guess we’ll just have to wait and see. Would the possibility of being digitize sound appealing to you if it guarantees immortality?

https://api.virternity.com/uploads/Virternity%20Roadmap.pdf

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: