Bitcoin Forum
April 24, 2024, 05:01:22 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Facilities with $0.02/kWh in Seattle or Washington State  (Read 7035 times)
johny08
Legendary

Activity: 1045
Merit: 1000

View Profile
August 14, 2014, 08:32:44 PM

http://www.eia.gov/state/print.cfm?sid=WA

Nov-13

Electricity    Washington
Residential    8.70 cents/kWh    
Commercial    7.95 cents/kWh
Industrial    4.49 cents/kWh    

Still no clue where to find the $0.02/kWh that has been mentioned here so many times.

here in europe in Austria its at least double as expensive. And we are getting 80% of the energy from water energy plants, which were build centuries ago. Thats a deal!

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
There are several different types of Bitcoin clients. The most secure are full nodes like Bitcoin Core, but full nodes are more resource-heavy, and they must do a lengthy initial syncing process. As a result, lightweight clients with somewhat less security are commonly used.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Bitsaurus

Activity: 873
Merit: 1007

View Profile
August 14, 2014, 09:11:43 PM

You won't be able to get $0.02 in Seattle unless you have a large manufacturing business and a contract.  The low income housing rate is $0.042 KWH by Seattle Lights.

You need to go to Eastern Washington in the middle of nowhere to get close to $0.02.
Sophokles

Activity: 1204
Merit: 516

Eloncoin.org - Mars, here we come!

View Profile WWW
August 14, 2014, 09:35:09 PM

You won't be able to get $0.02 in Seattle unless you have a large manufacturing business and a contract.  The low income housing rate is $0.042 KWH by Seattle Lights.

You need to go to Eastern Washington in the middle of nowhere to get close to $0.02.

I guess 'Moses Lake' counts as 'in the middle of nowhere.

▄▄████████▄▄
▄▄████████████████▄▄
▄██
████████████████████▄
▄███
██████████████████████▄
▄████
███████████████████████▄
███████████████████████▄
█████████████████▄███████
████████████████▄███████▀
██████████▄▄███▄██████▀
████████▄████▄█████▀▀
██████▄██████████▀
███▄▄█████
███████▄
██▄██████████████
░▄██████████████▀
▄█████████████▀
████████████
███████████▀
███████▀▀
▄▄███████▄▄
▄███████████████▄
▄███████████████████▄
▄██████████
███████████
▄███████████████████████▄
█████████████████████████
▀█
██████████████████████▀
▀██
███████████████████▀
▀███████████████████▀
▀█████████
██████▀
▀▀███████▀▀
 ElonCoin.org 
████████▄▄███████▄▄
███████▄████████████▌
██████▐██▀███████▀▀██
███████████████████▐█▌
████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄██▄▄▄▄▄
███▐███▀▄█▄█▀▀█▄█▄▀
███████████████████
█████████████▄████
█████████▀░▄▄▄▄▄
███████▄█▄░▀█▄▄░▀
███▄██▄▀███▄█████▄▀
▄██████▄▀███████▀
████████▄▀████▀
█████▄▄
"I could either watch it
happen or be a part of it"
▬▬▬▬▬
bobcaticus

Activity: 553
Merit: 500

View Profile
August 14, 2014, 09:40:08 PM

Location, Location, Location.

Cheapest power in the USA is in Wenatchee, supplied by the Rocky Beach and Rock Island dams.

The major issue is that it is over 100 degrees now, and keeping them cool is a major battle.

Source: I used to work for one.
Bitsaurus

View Profile
August 14, 2014, 09:48:31 PM

Yep.  You're about 100 miles from Seattle.  Do you have a Starbuck in town?  Grin  Google maps doesn't show an airport.  Farthest out that way on the 90 I went was Snowsquammie Falls.
Sophokles

Activity: 1204
Merit: 516

Eloncoin.org - Mars, here we come!

View Profile WWW
August 14, 2014, 10:11:50 PM

Yep.  You're about 100 miles from Seattle.  Do you have a Starbuck in town?  Grin  Google maps doesn't show an airport.  Farthest out that way on the 90 I went was Snowsquammie Falls.

No, not me living there.
Whoops, got the threads mixed up.
I was talking about these guys, they plan on setting up a facility in Moses Lake:
 https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=570941.msg7912048#msg7912048

▄▄████████▄▄
▄▄████████████████▄▄
▄██
████████████████████▄
▄███
██████████████████████▄
▄████
███████████████████████▄
███████████████████████▄
█████████████████▄███████
████████████████▄███████▀
██████████▄▄███▄██████▀
████████▄████▄█████▀▀
██████▄██████████▀
███▄▄█████
███████▄
██▄██████████████
░▄██████████████▀
▄█████████████▀
████████████
███████████▀
███████▀▀
▄▄███████▄▄
▄███████████████▄
▄███████████████████▄
▄██████████
███████████
▄███████████████████████▄
▀█
██████████████████████▀
▀██
███████████████████▀
▀███████████████████▀
▀█████████
██████▀
▀▀███████▀▀
 ElonCoin.org 
████████▄▄███████▄▄
███████▄████████████▌
██████▐██▀███████▀▀██
███████████████████▐█▌
████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄██▄▄▄▄▄
███▐███▀▄█▄█▀▀█▄█▄▀
███████████████████
█████████████▄████
█████████▀░▄▄▄▄▄
███████▄█▄░▀█▄▄░▀
███▄██▄▀███▄█████▄▀
▄██████▄▀███████▀
████████▄▀████▀
█████▄▄
"I could either watch it
happen or be a part of it"
▬▬▬▬▬
bobcaticus

View Profile
August 14, 2014, 10:19:14 PM

No, not me living there.
Whoops, got the threads mixed up.
I was talking about these guys, they plan on setting up a facility in Moses Lake:
 https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=570941.msg7912048#msg7912048

Anyone who sends their rigs to someone with 1 post here has to be out of their minds.
Digital Fortress

Activity: 3
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 14, 2014, 11:36:46 PM

We pull a little over 4MW of electricity form Seattle City Light and Pay $0.068kWh. The only business that gets it cheaper that i'm aware of is Seattle's largest power customer Nucor Steel near West Seattle. Moses Lake, Wenatchee the going rate is $0.026kWh and technically is the least expensive electricity in North America. Another fact about Seattle, besides having Starbucks across the street from Starbucks is it's the greenest utility in the nation. Seattle City Light is 97% hydo and wind renewable resources as it's energy mixture. This is great as natural resources like coal and natural gas rise in price your electric bill should stay the same. 
bobcaticus

View Profile
August 15, 2014, 03:42:04 AM

We pull a little over 4MW of electricity form Seattle City Light and Pay $0.068kWh. The only business that gets it cheaper that i'm aware of is Seattle's largest power customer Nucor Steel near West Seattle. Moses Lake, Wenatchee the going rate is $0.026kWh and technically is the least expensive electricity in North America. Another fact about Seattle, besides having Starbucks across the street from Starbucks is it's the greenest utility in the nation. Seattle City Light is 97% hydo and wind renewable resources as it's energy mixture. This is great as natural resources like coal and natural gas rise in price your electric bill should stay the same.  

only if you are a medium or large business.  resi users (such as myself) have not been able to hit ROI over the last month since it is 3 times the amount of commercial rates.
Bitsaurus

View Profile
August 15, 2014, 07:10:30 AM

only if you are a medium or large business.  resi users (such as myself) have not been able to hit ROI over the last month since it is 3 times the amount of commercial rates.

Well 4MW has to be a business.  The would be like 180 homes running 200A panels to the max  Shocked

Do you have a farm with that 4MW Digital Fortress or is that some other business?

Compare that to Southern California Edison who charges $0.35 KWH once you go into Tier 4 at around 700KWH/month.  I have to keep my AC use down to a minimum just to stay in Tier 3.  And this is using pretty much all gas and natural gas fuel sources, barely any renewable.  If SCE used renewable power I would be putting a generator/battery on a bicycle and riding to work so I could sell my battery power  Grin
WeMineCoins

Activity: 63
Merit: 10

View Profile WWW
August 15, 2014, 06:05:55 PM

You should all understand that these super low rates being quoted ignore different fee's that commercial and industrial accounts see (for example demand charges) That being said the rate I pay for our operation is "Energy Charge per kWh: $0.02910"

The Technical Founder of WeMineCoins
Flattire

Activity: 7
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 15, 2014, 06:32:06 PM

Look here at Grant County rates:

http://www.grantpud.org/customer-service/payments-billing/rates-and-fees

specifically, 'Large General Service Rate 7 '.
200kW minimum load is a bunch of Bitcoin miners.

200kW * 24 * 30 * $0.021 = $3024 / month minimum

You better be mining on a huge scale!

Also as others have said, even on this scale the dreaded words are still there "TAX ADJUSTMENT: The amounts of any tax levied by any city or town, in accordance with RCW 54.28.070, of the Laws of the State of Washington, will be added to the above charges. "

At my place that is over 3 cents/kwh
WeMineCoins

Activity: 63
Merit: 10

View Profile WWW
August 15, 2014, 06:42:26 PM

Can somebody please enlighten me how companies in Washington, or specifically in Seattle, are only paying $0.02/kWh for electricity?

Or is that just the unit of kWh, without demand charges etc?

Does this also scale, say 1MW, 2MW, 5MW etc?

You get rates that low when you consume enough power and that number is what it comes out to AFTER additional charges. Essentially buying electricity in bulk makes it cheaper and you need to learn to understand the rates, charges, and fees then apply scale to them. Also I know that some datacenters / people can buy power super cheap through deals with power suppliers.

The Technical Founder of WeMineCoins
jermwerty

Activity: 472
Merit: 250

View Profile
August 15, 2014, 08:03:54 PM

As others have said you have to be in an area with cheap power.  There are 3 counties in central WA that have their own dams, and thus very cheap power.  (Chelan, Douglas,  Grant)

For example :

Electric rates
Beginning Jan. 1, 2012, Chelan County PUD moved to a flat residential rate for electricity of just 2.7 cents per kilowatt hour. That's one of the lowest rates in the nation. This new approach to rates will lower bills for most residential customers. Read more about the new rate structure.

Residential monthly energy charge per kWh: 2.7 cents
Monthly basic charge: $7.70

Unfortunately Benton County is just 1 county too far south and my local PUD charges $0.06/KWH   Sad
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: