Bitcoin Forum
May 10, 2024, 03:58:37 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Deleted my APPDATA (Regarding XP Wallet, Not BTC)  (Read 109 times)
zelosSC (OP)

Activity: 5
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 15, 2019, 11:21:42 AM

Hi everyone!,

I think I deleted my Appdata\roaming files
Now my balance is showing 0.

It is regarding my Experience Point wallet. But I think it has a lot in common with the BTC wallet.

My wallet is currently synchronizing. (Which still takes a very long time)
The weird thing is I still have all my recent transactions/addresses (and more stuff) when I started the .exe

I do have  several .dat backup wallets. But they are from pretty far back.

The transactions showing. Is that a sign of my wallet not being deleted at all?
What steps are smart to take from this point?
I am scared and hope someone can provide me some info so I can sleep the upcoming days!  Smiley

Cheers,
Zelos

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"With e-currency based on cryptographic proof, without the need to trust a third party middleman, money can be secure and transactions effortless." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
mocacinno
Legendary

Activity: 3388
Merit: 4922

https://merel.mobi => buy facemasks with BTC/LTC

View Profile WWW
April 15, 2019, 11:28:08 AM
Merited by bones261 (3), ABCbits (1)

I have never heared about the "experience point" altcoin, but if you say the wallet has a lot in common with the BTC wallet, i assume you mean bitcoin core?

If so, it's normal not to see your balance while you're synchronising. During this phase, your client downloads, verifies and parses all blocks in the altcoin's blockchain. As long as the block(s) containing the transaction(s) funding the addresses managed by your wallet are not downloaded/verified/parsed, your balance will remain 0...

If "experience point's" reference client was forked from an old version of bitcoin core, it might be a non-HD wallet. In this case, you'll need a recent backup of your wallet.dat since all private keys are randomly generated and stored in the wallet.dat (there's a gap limit tough, IIRC, usually 100 private keys are pre-generated). If "experience point" was forked from a more recent bitcoin core version, there's a big chance the wallet is HD. In this case it doesn't matter how old the backup of the wallet.dat is, since a HD wallet only stores the master private key, and from this master private key all other private keys can be derived (so it doesn't matter how old the backup of the wallet.dat is, any backup will do...).

Some good advice? Well, backup your wallet.dat onto several media... If you're unsure wether your wallet is HD or non-HD: stop syncing and use a file recovery tool to attempt to restore the most recent version of your wallet.dat. The more recent the wallet.dat version, the bigger the odds the wallet contains as much potentially randomly generated private keys as humanly possible.

So basically: stop what you're doing, backup the wallet.dat, find out wether or not the wallet you're using is HD or not...
If it's HD and you're sure you have a backup of the correct wallet.dat: continue syncing and don't panick before the blockchain is completely sync'd
If it's not HD or you're not 100% sure you have a backup of the correct wallet.dat: use a file recovery tool and try to recover the last version of the wallet.dat

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████
███████████▄
████████████▄
██▄█████▀█████▄
▄█████████▀█████▀
███████████▀██▀
████▀█████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
c.h.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
▄██████▄▄▄
█████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███░░█████████
███▌▐█████████
█████████████
███████████▀
██████████▀
████████▀
▀██▀▀
zelosSC (OP)

Activity: 5
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 15, 2019, 11:55:17 AM

Thank you for taking the time and answering my questions!
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: