Bitcoin Forum
May 06, 2024, 10:59:15 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Single slot 5770s - anyone have them?  (Read 2287 times)
rjk (OP)

Activity: 448
Merit: 250

1ngldh

View Profile
February 10, 2012, 08:42:07 PM

I would be interested in whether anyone is using the (rarer) single slot 5770s, and what kind of hash rate and temperature to expect at stock clocks. In addition, can you estimate the power usage for them?

If you have a bunch to sell, name your price too. And no, I don't want dual slot ones, thanks.

Mining Rig Extraordinaire - the Trenton BPX6806 18-slot PCIe backplane [PICS] Dead project is dead, all hail the coming of the mighty ASIC!

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"In a nutshell, the network works like a distributed timestamp server, stamping the first transaction to spend a coin. It takes advantage of the nature of information being easy to spread but hard to stifle." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Joshwaa

Activity: 497
Merit: 500

View Profile
February 10, 2012, 08:43:35 PM

He is selling some.

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=63398.msg741962#msg741962

Like what I said : 1JosHWaA2GywdZo9pmGLNJ5XSt8j7nzNiF
Don't like what I said : 1FuckU1u89U9nBKQu4rCHz16uF4RhpSTV
rjk (OP)

1ngldh

View Profile
February 10, 2012, 08:45:17 PM

Cool, I didn't notice that they were single slot versions. Thanks.

Mining Rig Extraordinaire - the Trenton BPX6806 18-slot PCIe backplane [PICS] Dead project is dead, all hail the coming of the mighty ASIC!
Danijel Habek

Activity: 189
Merit: 100

View Profile
February 10, 2012, 09:23:16 PM

I've got one of those XFX single slot 5770s. I didn't pay attention to the reviews of the card prior to buying it, and I bought it before I've got bitcoined, and paid the full price on it, like it was a performer. I wouldn't give more than 20$ for this card today.

Using Phoenix at 950/1200 the card is achieving 210-218Mhash. I've tried using it at 950/300, no changes at performance or temperature. I didn't try to measure it's power draw.

Temperature wise, it is one of the hottest I've got, right now it is at 71C, and the room temperature is around 10-15C, and 12cm fan blowing cold air at it from the top of the card.
Card is on an custom open-air case, with enough spacing and with riser cables.
I think I'll tear it apart one of these days when it gets too hot, get rid of the plastic enclosure and factory fan, and bolt an standard 8cm fan or two to it's heat sink.

Another egg-shaped enclosure XFX 5770 I've got, I've fitted with mentioned 8cm ElCheapo fan is mining at 34C. I had to do this as I've broke two or three fan fins on the factory one. I'm glad that I did this, as ever since this is the coolest card I have.
I'm scared it could catch a cold though, and I'm thinking of wrapping a piece of an old wool scarf around it's voltage regulators, right next to it's power input connector.

Quote from: TraderTimm
For me, bitcoin is freedom that I never thought I'd see in my lifetime.
rjk (OP)

1ngldh

View Profile
February 10, 2012, 09:35:38 PM

Yeah the heatsink looks lame, with its circular design. I want to blow air in the back and across the heatsink, and then up and out thru a vent. Its a shame it isn't a well designed heatsink like this:

Ooooo, this looks cool, like what I wanna do:

From here: http://www.kingfung.com.cn/KFweb/Schi/goods.php?id=211

Wonder how much a large enterprise would pay me to build boxes with 18 of those suckers each. Probably a lot more than the miners would pay me Grin

TheHarbinger

Activity: 378

Why is it so damn hot in here?

View Profile
February 11, 2012, 02:24:02 AM

Yeah the heatsink looks lame, with its circular design. I want to blow air in the back and across the heatsink, and then up and out thru a vent. Its a shame it isn't a well designed heatsink like this:

Wonder how much a large enterprise would pay me to build boxes with 18 of those suckers each. Probably a lot more than the miners would pay me Grin

Here is a good fan to cool that with...

12Um6jfDE7q6crm1s6tSksMvda8s1hZ3Vj
Joshwaa

Activity: 497

View Profile
February 11, 2012, 05:13:18 AM

lol. That might just work.

Like what I said : 1JosHWaA2GywdZo9pmGLNJ5XSt8j7nzNiF
Don't like what I said : 1FuckU1u89U9nBKQu4rCHz16uF4RhpSTV
rjk (OP)

1ngldh

View Profile
February 11, 2012, 05:22:00 AM

lol. That might just work.
Heh, yeah. AMD recommends 20 CFM of airflow per card (!)

bangra

Activity: 43
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 11, 2012, 11:51:17 AM

Why not a single slot 6850?

http://www.ebuyer.com/319993-powercolor-hd-6850-graphics-card-ax6850-1gbd5-i2dhg?utm_source=google&utm_medium=products
rjk (OP)

1ngldh

View Profile
February 11, 2012, 05:23:22 PM

I guess I've always avoided the 6000 series since they use a lot more power for less output, and the 5000 series is just that much better. I guess I should look into the 6000 series cost and hashrate.

bitlane
Internet detective

Activity: 462

I heart thebaron

View Profile
February 11, 2012, 09:57:54 PM

I guess I've always avoided the 6000 series since they use a lot more power for less output, and the 5000 series is just that much better. I guess I should look into the 6000 series cost and hashrate.

By the time you overclock a 5830 to get 300+MH/s (960+Mhz Clock speeds).....power requirements are quite similar to a 6870 that does similar speeds with similar power requirements, as most are clocked 900+Mhz out of the box and do 300Mh/s at approx 930Mhz.
I have both and even mix them together in one of my miners.

kjlimo
Legendary

Activity: 2086
Merit: 1031

View Profile WWW
February 11, 2012, 10:13:58 PM

I'm guessing this will still suck 10 times the power of the FPGA stuff...

But it sounds like you can get these cards cheap?

What's your total costs for putting together a rig and how much mhash are you targetting?

Coinbase for selling BTCs
Fold for spending BTCs
PM me with any questions on these sites/apps!  http://www.montybitcoin.com

or Vircurex for trading alt cryptocurrencies like DOGEs
CoinNinja for exploring the blockchain.
rjk (OP)

1ngldh

View Profile
February 12, 2012, 04:40:19 AM

I'm guessing this will still suck 10 times the power of the FPGA stuff...

But it sounds like you can get these cards cheap?

What's your total costs for putting together a rig and how much mhash are you targetting?
No I haven't found them anywhere cheap, mostly just pie-in-the-sky dreaming. Like, what if I could interest a large corp or government in such a thing - would be totally crazy, but they would probably pay quite a lot. For instance, here is a picture of a custom 4-card nvidia box that was commissioned by some people:

According to the company that makes it, they are charging the customer ~$46k, for 4 Tesla cards. Even if I was forced to use dual slot cards (9 slots instead of 18), that would be pretty epic density. The only comparison is the Dell C410x box, and I have no idea how much that even costs. Linky: http://www.dell.com/us/business/p/poweredge-c410x/pd?~ck=anav The Dell has 16 double-wide cards, but to achieve that some of them are in the front and some are in the rear, which means hot air from the front GPUs is blown over the rear GPUs, which seems lame and prone to overheats.

Single slot air cooled cards would be cool because I could then fit 18 of them in per chassis. But even better would be dual slot monsters with waterblocks bolted on, because then they would only take up 1 slot Grin Grin
Water cooling would be the most epic challenge ever. PCIe slots are on 0.8" inch centers, and the closest I have found to that for a manifold is the following, with 10 ports on 1.5" inch centers:

So I would have to have 2 of them stacked next to each other, offset by about 3/4 of an inch. They are 16.5" inches wide, which just barely fits into a rackmount case. Would need 2 on the supply side and 2 on the output side, and a pump and reservoir that could handle some serious flow.

If I estimate 375 watts maximum from all the cards, a radiator with a 10 HP rating would be enough to cool them, but it would take up at least 8 U. If I ganged the systems together, and had 1 or 2 rads for several systems, I could probably squeeze the important bits into 5 or 6 U per system, and then have an external reservoir, pump(s), and rad(s). WC'ed Tesla cards would be epic, but would require a graphics-class backplane. The BP that I have is "server-class" - e.g., it doesn't have 16 PCIe lanes per slot, only 4 or 8. Obviously in the context of mining (or even password cracking and shit like that) we don't need much PCIe bandwidth, but on that note we don't need "pro" graphics cards either! I based most of my calculations on stuffing this full of WC'ed 6990s or 5970s, and came up with 7KW real power draw (14KW PSU rating for efficiency), 20ish Ghash/s, and a little more than $2/mhash/s. Total cost close to $25k. Obviously, it would be cheaper to build several aircooled rigs, but the idea here is DENSITY DENSITY DENSITY, and maybe a little bit of efficiency too if the server PSUs are 91% or better.

Should I put it up on GLBSE? Grin

tarrant_01

Activity: 546

View Profile
February 12, 2012, 10:31:50 AM

I bought two of these back in August.  Been running them at stock since then.  I've got them in between two 6950's and their temp is sitting at about 80 degrees celcius.  This is with a box fan on low blowing in on the open case.  They've pretty much maintained a constant 190 mhash/sec.  I can't really help you with the power draw at the moment.  But when I get home I can get you the difference from a system idle and one of them running.

1P95gCUCw3Tjb7yyoYtW3ARZZQyTpFgk6H
tarrant_01

Activity: 546

View Profile
February 12, 2012, 08:39:56 PM

Ok I ran one alone and at start the watt usage changed about 90 watts and after a few minutes went down to a 60-70 watt difference. I hope that helps.

1P95gCUCw3Tjb7yyoYtW3ARZZQyTpFgk6H
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: