Bitcoin Forum
May 12, 2024, 12:29:45 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Semi-Full Bitcoin Node. Downloading from ONLY pruned nodes.  (Read 448 times)
aliashraf
Legendary

Activity: 1456
Merit: 1174

Always remember the cause!

View Profile WWW
December 24, 2018, 09:31:03 PM
Last edit: December 25, 2018, 09:12:54 AM by aliashraf

Discussing HashCash-like improvement for bitcoin I  brought it up as a necessary step:
...  I'm thinking of a hybrid approach by giving space to wallets for participating in consensus without eliminating block miners. So many radical changes would be necessary for this to happen, on top of them getting rid of blockchain bloat and spv wallets,  interchangeability of fee and work, defining total work of a block in a more general way, ....
SPV wallets constitute the most stupid part of bitcoin. They should be eliminated completely and unlike op I don't believe in a "semi-full node" replacement either. What he suggests, snapshotting the UTXO, is the key to this agenda.

Using such a snapshot, has been proposed by many people earlier and ignored mostly because it was considered to be one of those "dangerous" proposals that need a hard fork to be implemented and in this weird community, bitcoin, had forking is cursed, ... long story.

@eurekafag AFAIK is the first person who said something about it, july 2010(!), he used the term snapshotting (it is why I used it above, to show my respect). The topic got no attention but another user, @Bytecoin rephrased it two days later and posted a more comprehensive proposal.

Satoshi Nakamoto was still around and he never made a comment regarding this, Gavin Andersen didn't get it, neither @Theymos, ... just 2 and a half pages of non-productive discussions. Obviously in mid 2010 there were few blocks, few UTXOs and so many other problems and priorities.

Almost one year later, july 2011, Gregory Maxwell, made a contribution to this subject he basically proposed something that later was termed, UTXO Commitment, it was Merkle era, people were excited about the magical power of Merkle Trees and Maxwell proposed maintaining a Merkle Hash Tree of UTXO by full nodes that enables them to spot an unspent output efficiently while miners include the root of such a tree in coinbase transaction (later others proposed including it directly in block header) this way, 'lite clients' would be able to ask for proof of any tx input as being committed to the UTXO Merkle root included in latest blocks.  

Basically, Maxwell's proposal needs a hard fork because full nodes MUST validate the UTXO Merkle root once  it is provided:
What if the coinbase TXN included the merkle root for a tree over all open transactions, and this was required by the network to be accurate if it is provided.
'A hard fork?! Better to forget about it or at most put it, with all due respects, in the long list of hard-fork-wish-list', it was and still is how proposals could be handled in bitcoin community. Few replies, again non-productive and Maxwell's proposal got no more stem.

In August 2012, Andrew Miller published a concrete proposal (and reference implementation) for a Merkle-tree of unspent-outputs (UTXOs)  in bitcointalk: again no serious discussion.
Andrew explicitly mentioned his proposal as the one which "belongs to Hardfork Wishlist".

Peter Todd went further and proposed TXO Commitment by which he meant committing the Merkle hash root of the state to each transaction, he also introduced a new concept 'delayed commitment' which is a key feature, imo.

I hate this hradfork fobia in bitcoin, bcash was not bad because of it being a hard fork it was bad because of the wrong technical direction they chose, imo. But I agree that a hardfork is not the decision a community should make very frequently and if there is a way to avoid it without too many sacrifices, it is better to be avoided.

So, the question is not whether op's idea is good (of course it is), the question is whether it could be implemented without a hardfork?
This is a bump for this thread, for a special purpose:
proving Gregory Maxwell wrong here:
I'm preparing a draft for this, but I'm really sick of doing work on problems that you guys in the team are not interested in.
And I'm really sick of your insulting lectures when you can't even bother to keep up on the state of the art in what's already been proposed. Tongue Please spare me the excuses about how its other people's fault that you're not doing other things. You seem to have plenty of time to throw mud...

There are already existing designs for an assumevalid 'pruned sync'...  but not enough hours in a day to implement everything immediately, and there are many components that have needed their own research (e.g. rolling hashes like the ecmh, erasure codes to avoid having snapshots multiplying storage requirements, etc.).

If you want to help--great! But no one needs the drama.  It's hard enough balancing all the trade-offs, considerations, and boring engineering without having to worry about someone being bent that other people aren't going out of their way to make them feel important. It's hard even to just understanding all the considerations that other engineers express: So on one has time for people who come in like a bull in a china shop and don't put in that effort towards other people's work. It doesn't matter who you are, no one can guarantee that any engineering effort will work out or that its results will be used even if it does.  The history of Bitcoin (as is the case in all other engineering fields) is littered with ideas that never (yet) made it to widespread use-- vastly more of them from the very people you think aren't listening to you than from you. That's just how engineering goes in the real world. Don't take it personally.

And it is the drama, usual Greg Maxwell ...
I don't think it is relevant to accuse people of not having done enough research when they are asking such a question, but the above quote and this whole thread tell everything about Maxwell's claim, I've been contributing to the subject for a while and nobody would ever accuse me about being noob here.

Speaking of software engineering ...  a system that takes like an age to boot, is a natural candidate for practicing engineering principles, imo, I understand consensus based, decentralized, public protocols are hell of a new domain, but why should we stick with 'how engineering goes in the real world' of bitcoin when it has led us here?

Now, to be more on-rail with topic I was just wondering how would it look like a proper answer to my question Huh
How do you think about the importance of bootstrap problem in bitcoin? Do you think a hypothetical safe approach to it, could ever exist and if so, how do you think about the importance and priority of upgrading bitcoin to support the new fast-sync feature?

For Gregory Maxwell as a prominent figure and a pro, it looks just more professional to say, I presume:
"Yes, we do agree that a hypothetical solid solution to the bootstrap nightmare in bitcoin is of much interest and deserves to be considered as an implementation priority". No, really, doesn't it look more professional?

But how do you think about my highlighted question?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"Governments are good at cutting off the heads of a centrally controlled networks like Napster, but pure P2P networks like Gnutella and Tor seem to be holding their own." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
BitcoinPy

Activity: 7
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
December 25, 2018, 08:59:29 AM
Last edit: December 25, 2018, 09:19:22 AM by BitcoinPy

1) It is possible to print money in a 51% attack if other users don't have the full history. 51% Attacker outruns the whole chain by more than the month that everyone does store, so that NO-ONE has the history. Then you can do what you like. not very likely I agree.. (Outrunning a month with 51% takes Years)

Oh really?
I don't believe that. In particular, I do not believe that he could spend my coins in case that was included in the subset of things "that he liked to do".

Furthermore, it is also not true that outrunning a month with 51% of the total hash power takes years. If prepared correctly (and not script kiddy style) it takes exactly one month + a few minutes.

Think of it this way. We both keep tossing coins, every day each of us tosses once and we count the number of heads that each of us accumulates.
So when will I, for the first time after a month, have more heads than you?

Well, after one month, on average each of us is expected to have 15 heads. But when will I have more heads than you? It isn't that hard:
- Within 1 month and 1 day: I have more heads than you with 50% chance
- Within 1 month and 2 days: same story! Every other day I have (on average) a new 50% chance to revert the full month, considering that the numbers of heads we both got will converge towards the same value over time. You just need to be longer once for a very brief period of time to pull it off.

When you look at the maths, your advantage might be even higher with 51% (as opposed to 49%).
Since it's not the "longest" chain (as frequently claimed) but the chain with the most work that survives, you will have a lower difficulty drop on retargets than the 49% of the network, meaning that your chain might be heavier without you mining noticably less blocks. So even when your chain is not longer, it might still win! I am just too tired to do the math now.
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: