Bitcoin Forum
May 21, 2024, 05:10:14 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: [2018-12-23] Number of Reachable Bitcoin Nodes Fell 19% in 2018  (Read 402 times)
pixie85

Activity: 2142
Merit: 528

View Profile
December 26, 2018, 10:31:56 PM

Again, I wasn't talking about how people feel and what people want!
Cause people think Nigeria is a crypto hub and they want to think Argentina is the new US in terms of bitcoin usage but...reality is pretty different.
Reality shows us that the entire African Continent has fewer nodes ...than...Lithuania.
And I'm willing to bet that 90% of this forum are having real trouble pointing Lithuania on the map!!!!

And I'm pointing towards the technicalities. You can't expect someone with very limited Internet access to have a website. A norde requires much more than a stable Internet access which is something most of us in Europe or the US don't have. This doesn't mean that they wouldn't run nodes in Africa if they had the means to.
I know the facts are showing what they're showing but to me it's obvious that countries with very limited Internet penetration will run nodes.
vit05

Activity: 672
Merit: 526

View Profile
December 27, 2018, 02:58:37 AM

I guess it's all related to how stable a certain country is. In case of Nigeria and countries like that, it makes sense to run your site elsewhere because it significantly reduces the possibility of being raided by your local authorities.

Don't forget that another important factor is bandwidth. It's safe to say that African and certain South American countries can't provide you unlimited data combined with a reliable connection, and if they do, it's outrageously expensive.

There is too much risk and cost involved. By simply renting US or EU servers you work around all the problems effortlessly. Unstable governments are a problem so it's definitely not worth trying to push their buttons.

-stable country
-oppressive regime

-unstable government

The curious thing is that in my concept, people who use Bitcoins in countries with oppressive governments and that control the most diverse means of media should be much more paranoid and always try to run their nodes.
jeromix
Copper Member

Activity: 266
Merit: 2

Ako Bayot!

View Profile
December 27, 2018, 05:08:28 AM

And I'm pointing towards the technicalities. You can't expect someone with very limited Internet access to have a website. A norde requires much more than a stable Internet access which is something most of us in Europe or the US don't have. This doesn't mean that they wouldn't run nodes in Africa if they had the means to.
I know the facts are showing what they're showing but to me it's obvious that countries with very limited Internet penetration will run nodes.
I do not that the country you are taking as an example to have a limited internet access since these countries are relatively developed already and has a lot of resources to do it. I have known some of my countrymen working here locally developing a website that is being requested for these countries. They can hire people here since the labor is cheaper than hiring people living in their country.

BitHodler
Legendary

Activity: 1526
Merit: 1179

View Profile
December 27, 2018, 08:34:27 PM

Simply prove my point that none of the African countries are the new crypto hubs of the world and will never be till all the above and much more changes?
I never tried to prove you wrong on that. I was just pointing at how it doesn't say anything when a node is hosted in a certain country.

But yes, African countries are definitely no hotspots in terms of crypto adoption, neither are the south American countries such as Venezuela. It's more the result of hype coming from news outlets trying to make it look important.

I'm not denying that there might be increased volumes in these countries locally, but it's definitely not enough to hype up a tiny bit of increase in user adoption to the degree news outlets have been doing for almost a year now.

BSV is not the real Bcash. Bcash is the real Bcash.
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: