Bitcoin Forum
May 17, 2024, 02:46:43 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: GPU mining= profitability going down the drain.  (Read 10240 times)
B2BigAl

Activity: 68
Merit: 10

View Profile
April 04, 2014, 04:04:47 AM

It isn't just GPU profitability that's way down, its everything.  Asics are a terrible investment too.  If you're a student of history, you'll know that the people who got rich during the California gold rush weren't the miners, it was the people selling the mining equipment.  Same is true for crypto.  Unless you manage to get ahold of the latest and greatest asics before everyone else, and get real lucky mining, you're playing a losing game too if your angle is to mine and dump.

That said, I'm not a big time miner by any stretch, I have ~5Mh.  I knew the bubble would pop in dramatic fashion, and it is, so I didn't go overextend myself buying gpus or delude myself into thinking I would keep making huge profits.  What I am doing is continuing to mine what I think has a future and diversifying my portfolio.  Sure, I'm not making any money atm, but it may pay off in the future.  I want to get my hands on as much btc, ltc, etc as I can while the diff and prices are down.  I'm in this for the long haul, not a quick buck. 
wasamata (OP)

Activity: 210
Merit: 100

View Profile
April 04, 2014, 04:17:54 AM

Well I tried mining new coins on day 1 and just had nothing but troubles. Especially scrypt n coins, total shite.
My CGwatcher has about 125 different coin options and about the same amount of wallets have been unzipped-most are just absolute garbage.
I have on more than one occaision stayed up all night for a coin launch only to fund either the coin died, the wallet farked, the pool was useless, "add numerous other problems here".
I find the X11 is a nice algo to mine as it lowers my costs and risk. Also POS is a nice way to get invest if your sick of mining at a loss.
paulcipher

Activity: 19
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 04, 2014, 04:21:33 AM

What I am doing is continuing to mine what I think has a future and diversifying my portfolio. 

What other than BTC has a future? You can't do anything with any other "coin", they're all hot air and none of them offer anything different. The whole altruistic idea of pre-allocating for a certain population is stupid too because the ONLY thing anyone will do with it (IF they can figure out how) is cash out. NO ONE is going to offer any legit goods or services for any other than BTC and even that is pretty sketchball. All this shit is smoke and mirrors. You were correct that the people making the money are the ones selling the mining equipment but even that has had a short-lived bubble as that is no longer profitable because the market was flooded with these extremely over-priced and uncomplicated specialized computers. The general populace was interested for about 30 seconds but no longer cares. Pretty much there is no money nor any future in any of this. If you want "coins" then just buy BTC, sit on it and sell it when the bubble inflates again or just buy shit with it. Either way any other "coin" doesn't DO anything and isn't good for anything more than a cheap yet fading rush when you mine a few thousand and for about a milisecond you think oh man this might blow up! Then you realize that's not happening nor is it going to ever happen. Waste of money, all of it. So many better things to invest in... short or LONG term.

SpeedDemon13

Activity: 518
Merit: 500

View Profile WWW
April 04, 2014, 04:28:44 AM
Last edit: April 04, 2014, 05:26:56 AM by SpeedDemon13

It isn't just GPU profitability that's way down, its everything.  Asics are a terrible investment too.  If you're a student of history, you'll know that the people who got rich during the California gold rush weren't the miners, it was the people selling the mining equipment.  Same is true for crypto.  Unless you manage to get ahold of the latest and greatest asics before everyone else, and get real lucky mining, you're playing a losing game too if your angle is to mine and dump.

That said, I'm not a big time miner by any stretch, I have ~5Mh.  I knew the bubble would pop in dramatic fashion, and it is, so I didn't go overextend myself buying gpus or delude myself into thinking I would keep making huge profits.  What I am doing is continuing to mine what I think has a future and diversifying my portfolio.  Sure, I'm not making any money atm, but it may pay off in the future.  I want to get my hands on as much btc, ltc, etc as I can while the diff and prices are down.  I'm in this for the long haul, not a quick buck.  

Nicely put, with the gold rush example. Levi's did totally great in that era of the US history. LOL

Unless your a hardware/software production company, mining pool, coin dev and/or crypto exchange owner, you truly are not going to get rich in general. Think of a crypto miner being an independ contractor/work for a major company.

I see alot of people not treat Crypto like stocks, when they seem to act in a similar way. Both are volatile and have huge swings. You have to do you due diligence in researching trends of crypto, like in stocks for companies.

I personally stop buying gpu's at the moment, keeping most of my equipment. Waiting to see how the AMD HBM(High Bandwidth Memory) technology pans out. I usually buy my gpu's used off of Craigslist, saves me a tons of cash. LOL

CRYPTSY exchange: https://www.cryptsy.com/users/register?refid=9017 BURST= BURST-TE3W-CFGH-7343-6VM6R BTC=1CNsqGUR9YJNrhydQZnUPbaDv6h4uaYCHv ETH=0x144bc9fe471d3c71d8e09d58060d78661b1d4f32 SHF=0x13a0a2cb0d55eca975cf2d97015f7d580ce52d85 EXP=0xd71921dca837e415a58ca0d6dd2223cc84e0ea2f SC=6bdf9d12a983fed6723abad91a39be4f95d227f9bdb0490de3b8e5d45357f63d564638b1bd71 CLAMS=xGVTdM9EJpNBCYAjHFVxuZGcqvoL22nP6f SOIL=0x8b5c989bc931c0769a50ecaf9ffe490c67cb5911
silamb

Activity: 36
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 04, 2014, 05:18:31 AM

I completely stopped my rigs. I am getting only 1000kh hashrate. It is not profitable at all for me after power cost.
stokecrypto

Activity: 154

View Profile
April 04, 2014, 06:09:33 AM

mine darkcoin 60% more profitability over script and script-n due to 60% less power consumption.

good btc a day rate aswell
Joerii
Legendary

Activity: 1274
Merit: 1050

View Profile WWW
April 04, 2014, 05:53:27 PM

X11. Hirocoin or Darkcoin.

Hypercube - get the attention you deserve
gpools

Activity: 364
Merit: 250

View Profile
April 04, 2014, 06:15:08 PM

Mine HVC 50% less power consumption.
softron

Activity: 210

View Profile
April 04, 2014, 06:24:06 PM

Try hirocoin. X11 algorithm

efc17

Activity: 68
Merit: 10

View Profile
April 04, 2014, 11:10:05 PM

Pool fee is 0% ! GHash.IO SCRYPT Multi Pool is open for beta testing, if anyone is interested.(invite required)

I'm trying it out atm, looks good.

some nice user defined settings, such as:
  • Convert mined coins to BTC
  • Convert mined coins to LTC
  • Do not convert LTC, DOGE, FTC, AUR
  • Drop miner jobs when switching coins

The most active testers will be rewarded with GHS!

If anyone would like to sign up feel free to use referral ghash.

Much appreciated

3KNSWuue88Rtn9GY6XV3tQTQUd3MwaDuKW
MFqZJ2YQzuFMKSNqmu8uh6xoqqM3FDFrwt
https://www.gate.io/hodl?ref=3553
azhago

Activity: 182

View Profile
April 05, 2014, 01:28:45 PM

You can try GroestlCoin, wich use the most power efficient algo out there (a little more than X11).
Not really profitable, as all altcoin today, but you will lose less power cost and it has a future
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=525926.0

Svener

Activity: 502
Merit: 500

View Profile
April 05, 2014, 01:53:56 PM

I saw something happen with a currency recently on Poloniex(1st April) that made me think that this one can go up a shitload if even a few big buyers had to come in.

I am not going to give the coins name but it's by far the most undervalued coin and it's a coin you can buy stuff with already. I think if things turn around certain coins will jump in price and you just have to be patient for now.

Pages: « 1 2 3 [4]  All
  Print  

Jump to: