Bitcoin Forum
May 01, 2024, 05:19:48 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: All USD routed through USA?  (Read 3737 times)
jago25_98 (OP)

Activity: 900
Merit: 1000

Crypto Geek

View Profile WWW
November 16, 2011, 07:56:00 AM

I just read a rumour that all international USD payments get routed with an additional hop through the USA, even if it's going from (for example) an USD denominated account in say, Panama to a USD account in Bermuda.

Is this true? I think it's relevant for anyone trying to cash out BTC.

I guess changing currency would avoid this right? It might explain some unexpected higher fees.

edit:

"Intermediary instructions

An intermediary bank is required when sending a payment in a currency that is not the domestic currency for the destination country. For example a USD payment to HSBC in Hong Kong will need to be routed via a US Bank.

Do not worry if you have not been provided with an intermediary bank for a payment. Our dealers are able to locate the correct intermediary using their banking directories"

^ I wonder who Gox use and how stable the intermediary is.

Bitcoiner since the early days. Crypto YouTube Channel: Trading Nomads | Analyst | News Reporter | Bitcoin Hodler | Support Freedom of Speech!

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"If you don't want people to know you're a scumbag then don't be a scumbag." -- margaritahuyan
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Meni Rosenfeld
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 2058
Merit: 1054

View Profile WWW
November 16, 2011, 08:38:59 AM

I have no idea what is "required", I can only speak of my experiences wiring to mtgox. Sometimes an intermediary was used, sometimes it wasn't. The fees for the intermediary were in the range $25-$33. For at least one of the transfers, I think the intermediary was "HSBC BANK USA NA GEN REM A/C HK NEW CASTLE".

1EofoZNBhWQ3kxfKnvWkhtMns4AivZArhr   |   Who am I?   |   bitcoin-otc WoT
Bitcoil - Exchange bitcoins for ILS (thread)   |   Israel Bitcoin community homepage (thread)
Analysis of Bitcoin Pooled Mining Reward Systems (thread, summary)  |   PureMining - Infinite-term, deterministic mining bond
repentance

Activity: 868

View Profile
November 16, 2011, 04:29:11 PM

I just read a rumour that all international USD payments get routed with an additional hop through the USA, even if it's going from (for example) an USD denominated account in say, Panama to a USD account in Bermuda.

I guess changing currency would avoid this right? It might explain some unexpected higher fees.

edit:

An intermediary bank is required when sending a payment in a currency that is not the domestic currency for the destination country. For example a USD payment to HSBC in Hong Kong will need to be routed via a US Bank.

Do not worry if you have not been provided with an intermediary bank for a payment. Our dealers are able to locate the correct intermediary using their banking directories"

Where does the quote in your edit come from?

All I can say is that this is Bitcoin. I don't believe it until I see six confirmations.
Yankee (BitInstant)
Legendary

Activity: 1078

Charlie 'Van Bitcoin' Shrem

View Profile WWW
November 16, 2011, 05:12:48 PM

edit:

HSBC HK uses HSBC USA for their intermediary bank. Same thing with most banks that have branches in other countries.

Bitcoin pioneer. An apostle of Satoshi Nakamoto. A crusader for a new, better, tech-driven society. A dreamer.

More about me: http://CharlieShrem.com
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: