Bitcoin Forum
April 19, 2024, 03:31:02 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 [92] 93 94 95 96 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [ANNOUNCE] Electrum - Lightweight Bitcoin Client  (Read 274466 times)
HPt

Activity: 70
Merit: 15

View Profile
July 31, 2015, 10:18:24 AM

I just realized that the Master Public Keys of the three wallets I just created with Electrum 2.3.2 all start with "xpub661MyMwAqRbc...".
"xpub" certainly is a marker for identifying the String as a Master Public Key. However, do the other coinciding letters have to be always the same or do they result from a lack of entropy in the generation process?
Check the private keys to be sure.
Where do I find the private master key?
In any case: Either every master public key has to begin with "xpub661MyMwAqRbc..." or there is some lack of entropy when generating the seed. In the latter case this would be an issue with Electrum. Other programs require the user to move the mouse or hit keys on the keyboard in order to supply entropy; Electrum on the other hand generates the seed without user interaction. So, I wonder how Electrum ensures a truly random seed.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
ColderThanIce

Activity: 373
Merit: 252

View Profile
August 03, 2015, 07:41:46 PM

I just realized that the Master Public Keys of the three wallets I just created with Electrum 2.3.2 all start with "xpub661MyMwAqRbc...".
"xpub" certainly is a marker for identifying the String as a Master Public Key. However, do the other coinciding letters have to be always the same or do they result from a lack of entropy in the generation process?
In any case: Either every master public key has to begin with "xpub661MyMwAqRbc..." or there is some lack of entropy when generating the seed. In the latter case this would be an issue with Electrum. Other programs require the user to move the mouse or hit keys on the keyboard in order to supply entropy; Electrum on the other hand generates the seed without user interaction. So, I wonder how Electrum ensures a truly random seed.
To my knowledge, you can't export the master private key from Electrum. You can always recover from the seed generated when you created the wallet though.

Also, about the master public key bit, mine doesn't start with "xpub661MyMwAqRbc", but it was created in an older Electrum version so that could be why.

ROLLIN.IO  BITCOIN   DICE   GAME
   ⚁    ⚂    ⚃    ⚄   ⚅   ⚁   ⚂
                                        ███████████████████    
                                      ██                                    ██
      ██████████████████                                    ██
      ██                            ██                                    ██
      ██                            ██                                    ██  
      ██                            ██                                    ██
      ██                            ██████████            ██████
      ██                            ██              ██          ██
      ██                            ██                 ██       ██
      ██                            ██                    ██    ██
      ███████        ███████                        ████
                ██     ██
                ██  ██
                ████

███████████
S  O  C  I  A  L
C H A T T I N G
                    ██
                  ████
                ██████
              ████████
            ██████████
          ████████████
        ██████████████
      ████████████████
    ██████████████████
  ████████████████████ 
              ████████
              ████████

████████

████████
██████████████
LEVEL UP SYSTEM
   WITH REWADS
                ██████
              ████████
            ██████████
          ████████████
        ██████████████
    ██████████████████
  ████████████████████
█         ████████████████
   ██████████████████ 
     ████████████████
        █████████████
           ██████████
                █████
██████████████
 FREE BITCOINS
BadAss.Sx
Legendary

Activity: 1526
Merit: 1002

Bulletproof VPS/VPN/Email @ BadAss.Sx

View Profile WWW
August 03, 2015, 08:32:09 PM

Wallet - Master Public keys gives you the MPK (mac that is)
ColderThanIce

View Profile
August 03, 2015, 08:34:32 PM

It does as well on Windows, but HPt was asking how to get the master private key. At first I thought he was asking about the pub key and thought the same as you.  Wink

███████████████████    
                ██     ██
                ██  ██
                ████

███████████
S  O  C  I  A  L
C H A T T I N G
                    ██
                  ████
                ██████
              ████████
            ██████████
          ████████████
        ██████████████
      ████████████████
    ██████████████████
  ████████████████████ 
              ████████
              ████████

████████

████████
██████████████
LEVEL UP SYSTEM
   WITH REWADS
                ██████
              ████████
            ██████████
          ████████████
        ██████████████
    ██████████████████
  ████████████████████
   ██████████████████ 
     ████████████████
        █████████████
           ██████████
                █████
██████████████
 FREE BITCOINS
HPt

Activity: 70
Merit: 15

View Profile
August 04, 2015, 11:16:37 AM

It does as well on Windows, but HPt was asking how to get the master private key. At first I thought he was asking about the pub key and thought the same as you.  Wink
I asked for the private master key, because mustyoshi suggested to check it. But, as I wrote, my concern is about the fact that the master public keys that I generated start all the same. I would be happy if someone could clarify which part of the master master public key string ought to be random and which part contains some other information (such as the "xpub" part). If the part that starts the same actually should be random then electrum has an entropy issue. Another (unlikely) possibility would be that my electrum version is compromised. (I use the Windows version 2.3.2 which I downloaded from the official website as version 2.4; as OmegaStarScream pointed out this is a bit strange.)
ColderThanIce

View Profile
August 04, 2015, 12:57:22 PM

It does as well on Windows, but HPt was asking how to get the master private key. At first I thought he was asking about the pub key and thought the same as you.  Wink
I asked for the private master key, because mustyoshi suggested to check it. But, as I wrote, my concern is about the fact that the master public keys that I generated start all the same. I would be happy if someone could clarify which part of the master master public key string ought to be random and which part contains some other information (such as the "xpub" part). If the part that starts the same actually should be random then electrum has an entropy issue. Another (unlikely) possibility would be that my electrum version is compromised. (I use the Windows version 2.3.2 which I downloaded from the official website as version 2.4; as OmegaStarScream pointed out this is a bit strange.)

I generated a couple of new wallets and here are their master public keys:

xpub661MyMwAqRbcGEUSdYvF2MDjcfdm79asccSYHq3jMAPWwkJiLbRtv4rWAS4St6cjupyh72iH85GggEPuRuA5ifA7UE1 KJz9r6sobkqzNZBa

xpub661MyMwAqRbcFKQySfiyDSpZ72zjry4WEbSDpXek7ADXFcS5oSExMku4z4FhX7sQEyJgaUeN48xMCpuTtRvBHH2cr8N TaL6fBHkrFeNryEV

Both begin with xpub661MyMwAqRbc but after that they're completely randomized. So the first 16 characters are always the same, but the last 95 characters should be random.

As for your Electrum install being potentially compromised: The reason that you downloaded 2.3.2 when the site says that the latest release was version 2.4 is because there currently isn't a compiled 2.4 version of Electrum for Windows, or OSX. Only Linux offers an easy install of 2.4. If you want to be extra sure that your Electrum install isn't compromised, then you can verify the checksum of the installer with what ThomasV has signed with his PGP as what the checksum should be. If ThomasV's PGP signed message of the checksum is valid, and the checksum matches that of the file you downloaded, then you can be sure you aren't using a compromised version of Electrum.

███████████████████    
                ██     ██
                ██  ██
                ████

███████████
S  O  C  I  A  L
C H A T T I N G
                    ██
                  ████
                ██████
              ████████
            ██████████
          ████████████
        ██████████████
      ████████████████
    ██████████████████
  ████████████████████ 
              ████████
              ████████

████████

████████
██████████████
LEVEL UP SYSTEM
   WITH REWADS
                ██████
              ████████
            ██████████
          ████████████
        ██████████████
    ██████████████████
  ████████████████████
   ██████████████████ 
     ████████████████
        █████████████
           ██████████
                █████
██████████████
 FREE BITCOINS
ThomasV (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1896
Merit: 1353

View Profile WWW
August 05, 2015, 04:09:49 PM

As for your Electrum install being potentially compromised: The reason that you downloaded 2.3.2 when the site says that the latest release was version 2.4 is because there currently isn't a compiled 2.4 version of Electrum for Windows, or OSX. Only Linux offers an easy install of 2.4. If you want to be extra sure that your Electrum install isn't compromised, then you can verify the checksum of the installer with what ThomasV has signed with his PGP as what the checksum should be. If ThomasV's PGP signed message of the checksum is valid, and the checksum matches that of the file you downloaded, then you can be sure you aren't using a compromised version of Electrum.

Indeed. We are currently experiencing problems with binaries, that's why 2.4 binaries are not available yet.

Electrum: the convenience of a web wallet, without the risks
SebastianJu
Legendary

Activity: 2674
Merit: 1082

Legendary Escrow Service - Tip Jar in Profile

View Profile WWW
August 06, 2015, 10:05:08 AM

I think it might be correct that the current server software gets performance problems when it comes to blockchain spamming. Since the actual spamming goes on i have problems with the servers. For example while being connected electrum gets stuck in synchronizing often. And it often happens that it is a number of blocks behind.

Might be that some servers have a heavier load because many users connect to them though.

Only a feedback. Smiley

By the way... for electrum user this is a great website: http://www.cointape.com/

It tells you when spamming goes on and can tell you which fee to chose so that you are not affected by it. I save 300% fee now than i paid before since i now know exactly which fee i should use.

Please ALWAYS contact me through bitcointalk pm before sending someone coins.
RustyNomad

Activity: 336
Merit: 250

View Profile WWW
August 07, 2015, 03:32:37 PM

Any idea when we can expect the Windows binaries for version 2.4?

Also, anybody on 2.4 who have made use of the feature to send/receive bitcoins via the email plugin?

I tried it in Electrum 2.4.0.2 for litecoin but could not get it to work or rather do not understand how its supposed to work. Checked the documentation but cannot find any mention of this plugin.
OmegaStarScream
Staff
Legendary

Activity: 3458
Merit: 6090

View Profile
August 07, 2015, 03:41:15 PM

Also, anybody on 2.4 who have made use of the feature to send/receive bitcoins via the email plugin?

I tried it in Electrum 2.4.0.2 for litecoin but could not get it to work or rather do not understand how its supposed to work. Checked the documentation but cannot find any mention of this plugin.

I contacted ThomasV about this matter because I wanted this new version aswell and this what he told me :
we are currently experiencing problems with the windows builds. I have no ETA (Estimated Time of Arrival)

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████
███████████▄
████████████▄
██▄█████▀█████▄
▄█████████▀█████▀
███████████▀██▀
████▀█████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
c.h.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
▄██████▄▄▄
█████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███░░█████████
███▌▐█████████
█████████████
███████████▀
██████████▀
████████▀
▀██▀▀
RustyNomad

View Profile WWW
August 07, 2015, 03:51:26 PM

I contacted ThomasV about this matter because I wanted this new version aswell and this what he told me :
we are currently experiencing problems with the windows builds. I have no ETA (Estimated Time of Arrival)

Thanks for sharing that, will check back again next week.
OmegaStarScream
Staff
Legendary

View Profile
August 11, 2015, 10:07:39 AM

Hi , I have a quick question here .
How to upgrade from a version to another new version (of Electrum) ? I simply install the other or I should unistall the old one , also does the seed works on different wallets , I mean a seed of 2.3 version should work fine on the 2.4 version ?

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████
███████████▄
████████████▄
██▄█████▀█████▄
▄█████████▀█████▀
███████████▀██▀
████▀█████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
c.h.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
▄██████▄▄▄
█████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███░░█████████
███▌▐█████████
█████████████
███████████▀
██████████▀
████████▀
▀██▀▀
Muhammed Zakir

Activity: 560
Merit: 506

I prefer Zakir over Muhammed when mentioning me!

View Profile WWW
August 11, 2015, 12:32:20 PM

Hi , I have a quick question here .
How to upgrade from a version to another new version (of Electrum) ? I simply install the other or I should unistall the old one , also does the seed works on different wallets , I mean a seed of 2.3 version should work fine on the 2.4 version ?

Yes, it works! Backup your Electrum wallet file(s) and install latest version.

-snip-

Should I uninstall the old wallet before installing a new version?

It's not necessary, but it doesn't hurt either.

(I will do multiple local and remote backups of my wallet before doing any installs or upgrades.)

That's always a good idea, but it also shouldn't be necessary. The only thing to be aware of is that Electrum 2.x will upgrade your wallet format. In order to downgrade to a 1.x version (not that you ever should need to), you'll either need to restore your wallet from it's seed or use a backup from before you upgrade.

Side note: if you do remote backups, be sure you've got a strong password on the wallet, or use a zero-knowledge backup provider such as SpiderOak (and a strong password with them).

-snip-

Finally, once the installation on the 10.9.5 system is completed and confirmed, is there any point of keeping the 1.9.8 wallet?

nerioseole alluded to one above—Electrum 2.x uses a different wallet format. If you give it a 1.9.8 wallet file, it will upgrade it to the new format behind the scenes (the seed remains the same). If you ever want to copy this 2.x wallet file to a machine that has Electrum 1.x on it, you'll need to instead either:
  • Use a backup from Electrum 1.x, or
  • simply restore from the seed.

OmegaStarScream
Staff
Legendary

View Profile
August 11, 2015, 12:44:11 PM

Wait , what Shocked
I'am speaking about the seed only , in case I don't take backup files at all . it should still work right ? (same question for Multibit HD if you could answer) because it asks to take backup and I'am not sure what the seed is for if you have to take backup of files

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████
███████████▄
████████████▄
██▄█████▀█████▄
▄█████████▀█████▀
███████████▀██▀
████▀█████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
c.h.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
▄██████▄▄▄
█████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███░░█████████
███▌▐█████████
█████████████
███████████▀
██████████▀
████████▀
▀██▀▀
Muhammed Zakir

Activity: 560
Merit: 506

I prefer Zakir over Muhammed when mentioning me!

View Profile WWW
August 11, 2015, 01:03:26 PM

Wait , what Shocked
I'am speaking about the seed only , in case I don't take backup files at all . it should still work right ? (same question for Multibit HD if you could answer) because it asks to take backup and I'am not sure what the seed is for if you have to take backup of files

Sorry! I thought you were talking about backup in general.

Yes, you only need to backup the seed in order to recover Bitcoins or to restore a wallet. A seed is compatible with all versions of that wallet.

SebastianJu
Legendary

View Profile WWW
August 15, 2015, 06:12:20 PM

When exporting the private keys then it would be good when a sort of some form would be there. For example i wanted to delete all unused change addresses or the addresses not yet used or still in use. So that only the used ones remain. But the addresses seems to be in no order at all so that it's hard to delete them. I need to search them one by one after sorting them.

But while sorting them i found that some of the addresses have a space before the 1. I could not see that something is special about these addresses.

SebastianJu
Legendary

View Profile WWW
August 15, 2015, 06:50:07 PM

And it would be a nice feature when you could chose certain addresses in the addresslist and let you show the privkeys of these addresses. At the moment the rightclick only allows to block or free multiple addresses then.

RustyNomad

View Profile WWW
August 17, 2015, 06:55:52 AM

Any update on the Windows binaries for version 2.4 ?
OmegaStarScream
Staff
Legendary

View Profile
August 17, 2015, 07:04:15 AM

Any update on the Windows binaries for version 2.4 ?

Still nothing , check here they got updated to 2.4.1 https://github.com/spesmilo/electrum/blob/master/RELEASE-NOTES versions should work fine on Ubuntu and other operating systems however windows .. nothing yet

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████
███████████▄
████████████▄
██▄█████▀█████▄
▄█████████▀█████▀
███████████▀██▀
████▀█████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
c.h.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
▄██████▄▄▄
█████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███░░█████████
███▌▐█████████
█████████████
███████████▀
██████████▀
████████▀
▀██▀▀
RustyNomad

View Profile WWW
August 17, 2015, 09:05:16 AM
Last edit: August 17, 2015, 09:59:38 AM by RustyNomad

Guess we Windows users will get 2.4 when 2.5 is released  Grin

I see on the download site that there is a 2.4.1 zip file for Windows [https://electrum.org/#download]

Anybody care to share how I can get that to run on my Windows PC. Running Win 8.1 and have Python 3.4 installed.

No to worry, got it running  Wink

Edit: Managed to get Electrum 2.4.1 running on my Win 8.1 pc. I'm however unable to make use of it as it does not pickup the Trezor plugin. I can see the Trezor plugin file in the plugin folder but when going to Plugin's on the Electrum menu there is no Trezor option so unable to use this version as all my wallets are on a Trezor.
Pages: « 1 ... 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 [92] 93 94 95 96 »
  Print  

Jump to: