Bitcoin Forum
April 23, 2024, 02:30:07 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 [94] 95 96 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [ANNOUNCE] Electrum - Lightweight Bitcoin Client  (Read 274471 times)
ThomasV (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1896
Merit: 1353

View Profile WWW
October 17, 2015, 02:02:10 PM

Its called the 'Standalone executable' but its not working properly. Just tested the latest version 2.5 which was released a couple of hours ago and the standalone still forces the files onto the main drive of the PC

I will have a look at that. that issue should be easier to fix than hardware wallets.

Electrum: the convenience of a web wallet, without the risks

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
OmegaStarScream
Staff
Legendary

Activity: 3458
Merit: 6099

View Profile
October 17, 2015, 02:21:58 PM

Its called the 'Standalone executable' but its not working properly. Just tested the latest version 2.5 which was released a couple of hours ago and the standalone still forces the files onto the main drive of the PC

I will have a look at that. that issue should be easier to fix than hardware wallets.

Thomas you didn't answer me on the other topic please , in case you missed it I want to know what I'm supposed to do to upgrade to the new version ? I'm using 2.4.4 at the moment , should I install 2.5 over (using Linux btw) or I unistall the old version , Install the new version and use the seed to restore my wallet ?

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████
███████████▄
████████████▄
██▄█████▀█████▄
▄█████████▀█████▀
███████████▀██▀
████▀█████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
c.h.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
▄██████▄▄▄
█████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███░░█████████
███▌▐█████████
█████████████
███████████▀
██████████▀
████████▀
▀██▀▀
kama

Activity: 140
Merit: 100

View Profile
October 17, 2015, 02:27:22 PM

electrum 2.5 standalone executable doesn't work on my pc
os is win 8.1 x64

RustyNomad

Activity: 336
Merit: 250

View Profile WWW
October 17, 2015, 03:05:14 PM

Thanks, that would help but in my case not really as all my wallets are on a Trezor and without the Trezor support it would mean I'm still stuck on version 2.3.2

What is funny is that Electrum-LTC works perfectly. I'm running version 2.4.3.1 and in that version everything works. The labels for the various wallets work, this still does not work in the BTC version, as well as all the hardware wallets.

Not sure what the difference between the two is but surely the Electrum-BTC version should have the same capabilities as the LTC. Is the LTC version not supposed to be based on the BTC version? From the looks of things however it seems like the LTC version is miles ahead of the BTC version while they should actually be on par.

I'm running the standalone version of the LTC version and have no issues with it running from a USB drive.
xgtele

Activity: 288

View Profile
October 17, 2015, 03:39:54 PM

Where is the portable version?

I just cannot find it in the download page: https://electrum.org/#download

Its called the 'Standalone executable' but its not working properly. Just tested the latest version 2.5 which was released a couple of hours ago and the standalone still forces the files onto the main drive of the PC so it cannot function as a true standalone.

Last proper version which works as it should in standalone mode is version 2.3.2 which can be downloaded from here: https://download.electrum.org/

Just scroll almost all the way down and look for 'electrum-2.3.2-portable.exe'. This version can be placed on a USB drive and run from there. It will also create all folders and files in the same location so its 'truly' portable.

Why portable version development is frozen on 2.3.2?
RustyNomad

Activity: 336

View Profile WWW
October 17, 2015, 03:56:11 PM

Where is the portable version?

I just cannot find it in the download page: https://electrum.org/#download

Its called the 'Standalone executable' but its not working properly. Just tested the latest version 2.5 which was released a couple of hours ago and the standalone still forces the files onto the main drive of the PC so it cannot function as a true standalone.

Last proper version which works as it should in standalone mode is version 2.3.2 which can be downloaded from here: https://download.electrum.org/

Just scroll almost all the way down and look for 'electrum-2.3.2-portable.exe'. This version can be placed on a USB drive and run from there. It will also create all folders and files in the same location so its 'truly' portable.

Why portable version development is frozen on 2.3.2?

The whole aim of a portable or standalone version is to be able to place the file on a USB drive and to be able to run it from a USB drive. In order to do that it means that all the data files need to be on the USB drive as well. A portable version will be pretty pointless if it required files which were not on the USB drive.

So this means you need all the Electrum files compacted into a single exe file i.e. the portable version. This version then needs to be able to work with data files residing in the same location i.e. on the USb drive. This means you can unplug your USB and take it to another PC and still be able to run Electrum from there as if you were on your own pc.

Up to version 2.3.2 this was the case. A single exe file which when fired up looked for the data files in the same location as where the exe file is and if there is none to create them. So all folders and files are created right there on the USB drive. So everything is on the USB drive.

Versions later than 2.3.2 does not work like this. They are all single exe files but they create all their files in the AppsData folder on your C drive when running Windows. That means you have the exe file on the USb but all your data files on the C drive which is pointless as it's anything but portable.

I have a Trezor and all my wallets are on there. I use Electrum together with the Trezor so all my Trezor wallets are also on Electrum as watch only wallets. So its easy for me to plug my USB drive and Trezor into any pc and to be able to do transactions. Does not matter whether the pc is compromised or not.

I'm however stuck on version 2.3.2 as that was the last portable version which was truly portable BUT ALSO the last version which had proper support for Trezor. This last release, version 2.5, also has no Trezor support. At this rate Trezor should remove Electrum as a compatible wallet as the last three or four versions has not been compatible.

I'm in the process of looking for alternatives but think I might just go with MyCelium on my phone and leave it at that. Electrum is starting to fall to far behind now, at least the versions that work for me.

EDIT: What's funny is if you look at Electrum-LTC, the LiteCoin version. Latest version is 2.4.3.1 and everythign works. Full Trezor support in all versions and a proper standalone version that works as it should. Electrum-LTC is supposed to be based on Electrum-BTC but it seems like the LTC version is actually the leader here as its miles ahead of the BTC version. Seems rather like the BTC version was based on the LTC version. There are several bugs still in the BTC version which has already been resolved in the LTC version which is what makes it funny. The LTC version should be the copy and not the leader.

SebastianJu
Legendary

Activity: 2674
Merit: 1082

Legendary Escrow Service - Tip Jar in Profile

View Profile WWW
October 19, 2015, 01:50:14 AM

I'm a bit confused why everyone speaks about the standalone version as the portable version. It is not as far as i know. The last portable version is 2.3.2 and it has a number of bugs, but works portable at least.

The standalone version was there all the time, beneath the portable version. I sometimes, accidentally, downloaded that version and had to realize that it is not the portable one.

So if i remember correctly, there normally was always a standalone AND a portable version with the same version number. And the standalone version acted the way, with drive C, since all the times because it was not portable.

I only hope the portable version comes back. It's no real fun having to drop my security only because that version forgets that i use proxies with each restart. Roll Eyes

Please ALWAYS contact me through bitcointalk pm before sending someone coins.
jackcalvert

Activity: 1
Merit: 0

View Profile
October 26, 2015, 01:02:22 PM

I d/loaded Electrum, and it seemed simple enough, until I got to the part about configuring it to accept bitcoin through our website. (sound of cartoon tires screeching to a halt)
My partners were already leery of bitcoin, so it was a tough sell to begin with; the first time they try to set up an Electrum wallet to accept payments through the site, it's gonna scare the sh*t out of them, and they're gonna run like hell. I won't be able to uninstall it fast enough.

There's gotta be a simpler way to do this, fellas. Huh
OmegaStarScream
Staff
Legendary

Activity: 3458
Merit: 6099

View Profile
October 26, 2015, 01:45:44 PM

I d/loaded Electrum, and it seemed simple enough, until I got to the part about configuring it to accept bitcoin through our website. (sound of cartoon tires screeching to a halt)
My partners were already leery of bitcoin, so it was a tough sell to begin with; the first time they try to set up an Electrum wallet to accept payments through the site, it's gonna scare the sh*t out of them, and they're gonna run like hell. I won't be able to uninstall it fast enough.

There's gotta be a simpler way to do this, fellas. Huh

This is all you need to know probably , all explained with details and everything I hope it helps : http://docs.electrum.org/en/latest/merchant.html

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████
███████████▄
████████████▄
██▄█████▀█████▄
▄█████████▀█████▀
███████████▀██▀
████▀█████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
c.h.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
▄██████▄▄▄
█████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███░░█████████
███▌▐█████████
█████████████
███████████▀
██████████▀
████████▀
▀██▀▀
SebastianJu
Legendary

View Profile WWW
October 31, 2015, 12:00:00 AM

The portable version 2.5.2 works fine and doesn't forget the socks settings anymore. Though the worst problem now are the servers. I finally found a good server i can always connect to. That's not so easy. But when iam connected then the server gives me outdated data. I have 4 transactions unconfirmed since days, though in fact they have over couple hundred confirmations already.

I think the server software is the most pressing thing to mod on since it invalidates all work on the backend software for me at the moment.

Another thing is the error message at the start that doesn't vanish. Not problematic though still annoying.

It says: Caption:
Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime Library

Text:
Runtime Error!
Program: MyPath/electrum-2.5.2-portable.exe

R6034
An application has made an attempt to load the C runtime library incorrectly.
Please contact the application's support team for more information.

Which i did now. Tongue

ThomasV (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
October 31, 2015, 05:39:29 AM

The portable version 2.5.2 works fine and doesn't forget the socks settings anymore. Though the worst problem now are the servers. I finally found a good server i can always connect to. That's not so easy. But when iam connected then the server gives me outdated data. I have 4 transactions unconfirmed since days, though in fact they have over couple hundred confirmations already.

sounds like the malleability attack.
can you post the server, and the transaction id?

japerry

Activity: 306

View Profile WWW
October 31, 2015, 08:24:09 AM

Another thing is the error message at the start that doesn't vanish. Not problematic though still annoying.

It says: Caption:
Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime Library

Text:
Runtime Error!
Program: MyPath/electrum-2.5.2-portable.exe

R6034
An application has made an attempt to load the C runtime library incorrectly.
Please contact the application's support team for more information.

Which i did now. Tongue

You can make the error go away by renaming the executable to "electrum.exe"

ThomasV (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
October 31, 2015, 08:33:42 AM

interesting. does anybody know why? (I am no Windows expert)

japerry

View Profile WWW
October 31, 2015, 08:38:58 AM

I don't know why myself. I read it on another discussion thread thread a while back and tried it. Ans sure enough renaming the executable to electrum.exe makes the error disappear.

While I'm at it, I got a custom 2.5.2 binary from the Ledger Wallet people that works with my Ledger! So I'm on Electrum with my HW.1 at last!

ThomasV (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
October 31, 2015, 09:30:48 AM

While I'm at it, I got a custom 2.5.2 binary from the Ledger Wallet people that works with my Ledger! So I'm on Electrum with my HW.1 at last!

the official binaries have been updated yesterday, they should work with ledger too. (there was a bug in the initial binaries)

japerry

View Profile WWW
October 31, 2015, 09:42:49 AM

the official binaries have been updated yesterday, they should work with ledger too. (there was a bug in the initial binaries)

Great! I just tried the standalone version from electrum.org and it worked flawlessly! Thanks Thomas!

SebastianJu
Legendary

View Profile WWW
October 31, 2015, 12:28:07 PM

sounds like the malleability attack.
can you post the server, and the transaction id?

No, these are not malleated ones since when i copy the transaction id and check it on blockchain.info then the blockchain knows the transaction and it was confirmed already hundred of blocks before.

The server i use momentarely is btc.mustyoshi.com. I can see new transactions coming in and i can send transactions but they show up unverified after showing up as pending even though the blockchain already knows they are out. And there is no notification of the server being behind in blocks. Example 86cc3798c7b849be58475d3045b7d77c090bb27f2e6b184bd529ff2fabb33413 It shows up unconfirmed but has 7 confirmations as of now. I have way older transactions too.

And i saw that you implemented a fee feature that adjust to the network load of the blockchain. That works great. Nice feature!

SebastianJu
Legendary

View Profile WWW
October 31, 2015, 12:30:22 PM

Hey, it works... Smiley

I guess in the code it was only referenced as electrum.exe and it doesn't understand that the exe is then something with portable.

ThomasV (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
October 31, 2015, 01:32:57 PM

It shows up unconfirmed but has 7 confirmations as of now. I have way older transactions too.

where does it show "unconfirmed" ?
In your history, these transaction should be either "pending" or "unveriifed"

SebastianJu
Legendary

View Profile WWW
October 31, 2015, 02:11:26 PM

It shows up unconfirmed but has 7 confirmations as of now. I have way older transactions too.

where does it show "unconfirmed" ?
In your history, these transaction should be either "pending" or "unveriifed"

Yes, that's right. The show up as unverified, before they were pending. But they don't change to confirmed since days yet. Some of it.

Pages: « 1 ... 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 [94] 95 96 »
  Print  

Jump to: