Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 03:37:13 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 [82] 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [ANNOUNCE] Electrum - Lightweight Bitcoin Client  (Read 274472 times)
dillpicklechips

Activity: 994
Merit: 507

View Profile
January 27, 2014, 02:26:04 AM

It is possible to import a private key into an offline computer using electrum? Or does it only do offline signing for keys derived from it's seed?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Even in the event that an attacker gains more than 50% of the network's computational power, only transactions sent by the attacker could be reversed or double-spent. The network would not be destroyed.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Abdussamad
Legendary

Activity: 3598
Merit: 1560

View Profile
January 27, 2014, 02:36:00 AM

It is possible to import a private key into an offline computer using electrum? Or does it only do offline signing for keys derived from it's seed?

Yes you can do this. Once you've imported the private key you have to create a seedless version of the wallet. This can only be done via the command line:

Code:
electrum deseed

Or with a specific wallet file:

Code:
electrum -w my_wallet deseed

The it will create a .seedless file that will be a watching only wallet for use on your online system.
dillpicklechips

Activity: 994
Merit: 507

View Profile
January 27, 2014, 03:19:18 AM

Yes you can do this. Once you've imported the private key you have to create a seedless version of the wallet. This can only be done via the command line:

Code:
electrum deseed

Code:

The it will create a .seedless file that will be a watching only wallet for use on your online system.
Thank you so much! So every time I import a key I have to re-create the wallet for the online computer? Is there a way to just import the address on the online computer that matches the private key to the offline one?

btcven

Activity: 715
Merit: 500

Bitcoin Venezuela

View Profile WWW
January 27, 2014, 11:15:52 AM

Code:
electrum deseed

Code:

Thank you so much! So every time I import a key I have to re-create the wallet for the online computer? Is there a way to just import the address on the online computer that matches the private key to the offline one?

BE CAREFUL

https://github.com/spesmilo/electrum/issues/225#issuecomment-32087172

Admin: rdymac (PGP) | contacto@bitcoinvenezuela.com | @cafebitcoin | Electrum, lightweight bitcoin client
If I've been helpful tip me a coffee! Cheesy1rdymachKZpA9pTYHYHMYZjfjnoBW6B3k Bitrated user: rdymac.
Abdussamad
Legendary

View Profile
January 28, 2014, 05:18:57 AM

Code:
electrum deseed

Code:

BE CAREFUL

https://github.com/spesmilo/electrum/issues/225#issuecomment-32087172

An easier way. Switch to console tab and do this:

Code:
wallet.storage.put( 'imported_keys', {'1933phfhK3ZgFQNLGSDXvqCn32k2buXY8a' : '',  '17ewBhK712mY2E4uPAbinThibdY2LRyabd' : '', '1FeexV6bAHb8ybZjqQMjJrcCrHGW9sb6uF' : '' } )
ThomasV (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1896
Merit: 1353

View Profile WWW
March 16, 2014, 01:28:29 PM

Electrum 1.9.8 is released.
please use this thread: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=518133.0

Electrum: the convenience of a web wallet, without the risks
Jouke

Activity: 426
Merit: 250

View Profile WWW
March 16, 2014, 02:12:35 PM

I didn't find it in any documentation, but does electrum support bip70?

Koop en verkoop snel en veilig bitcoins via iDeal op Bitonic.nl
btcven

Activity: 715
Merit: 500

Bitcoin Venezuela

View Profile WWW
March 20, 2014, 12:15:19 AM

I didn't find it in any documentation, but does electrum support bip70?

Don't think so

Admin: rdymac (PGP) | contacto@bitcoinvenezuela.com | @cafebitcoin | Electrum, lightweight bitcoin client
If I've been helpful tip me a coffee! Cheesy1rdymachKZpA9pTYHYHMYZjfjnoBW6B3k Bitrated user: rdymac.
3KyNoX

Activity: 81
Merit: 10

View Profile
April 02, 2014, 04:22:37 PM

Hello Electrum.

I set my electrum.dat to an external drive, but about file blockchain, electrum persist at keeping it at ~/.electrum, is it possible to set datadir on the external drive also ?

Thanks anyway.

Donate : 1MmSvVtcZMLtCbk6RcEXRei91K8VrgPxoC
dabura667

Activity: 475
Merit: 252

View Profile
April 02, 2014, 05:34:26 PM

Hello Electrum.

I set my electrum.dat to an external drive, but about file blockchain, electrum persist at keeping it at ~/.electrum, is it possible to set datadir on the external drive also ?

Thanks anyway.

Try the "Portable Version" on the Download page. All files will be stored in the same folder as the executable. You can place everything on a USB etc.

My Tip Address:
1DXcHTJS2DJ3xDoxw22wCt11FeAsgfzdBU
nioc
Legendary

Activity: 1624
Merit: 1008

View Profile
April 09, 2014, 10:06:51 PM

XP

Seems like you are giving me instruction on how to use "command line" to set up another wallet within Electrum.  I have never used command line as suggested by my preface.  

I understand but there is always a first time. I promise you it won't bite Smiley

I assume using File>Open does the same thing?  

File open opens an existing wallet. Once you've created a new wallet you can indeed use file open to open it. You could also create a shortcut (right click shortcut > properties > target) like this to directly access a specific wallet:

electrum -w c:\path\to\wallet

That still leaves the main question of what would be best to do.  Is it correct to assume that it is better not to have all your btc in one place?  If so, is there any difference in safety or security between having multiple wallets in Electrum as opposed to having multiple versions of Electrum?

Multiple wallets are fun and useful if you are a power user. You can isolate coins from different sources under different wallets. You can setup offline wallets and online watch only wallets. Offline wallets are considered safer than online wallets.

Multiple versions of electrum on the same system are not useful.

Thank you for your help and encouragement.  I was unable to get command prompt working properly in XP.  I now have 8.1 and I can now get command prompt to respond to simple commands.  I just did some searching and all I could find was that command prompts for Electrum were unavailable for windows as of March 2013.  Are they presently available?  I would really like to setup an additional wallet.
Abdussamad
Legendary

View Profile
April 10, 2014, 12:36:09 AM

Thank you for your help and encouragement.  I was unable to get command prompt working properly in XP.  I now have 8.1 and I can now get command prompt to respond to simple commands.  I just did some searching and all I could find was that command prompts for Electrum were unavailable for windows as of March 2013.  Are they presently available?  I would really like to setup an additional wallet.

Update to the latest version of electrum. The run it and choose file menu > new/restore. Navigate to a suitable location on your hard drive and enter a suitable name for your new wallet. Click save and then follow the on-screen instructions to create a new wallet. In future when you want to open this wallet either create a shortcut, as I mentioned in my last post, or use file > open.
nioc
Legendary

View Profile
April 10, 2014, 06:06:22 AM

Update to the latest version of electrum. The run it and choose file menu > new/restore. Navigate to a suitable location on your hard drive and enter a suitable name for your new wallet. Click save and then follow the on-screen instructions to create a new wallet. In future when you want to open this wallet either create a shortcut, as I mentioned in my last post, or use file > open.

So yes I have the latest version.  The help button just directs you to the electrum site which has no info on setting up an additional wallet with this version.

I assume a suitable name for my wallet would be placed at the bottom where it says file name and I would input
C:\Users\(me)\AppData\Roaming\Electrum\wallets\anyname_wallet

I have no idea what navigating to a suitable location on my hard drive means.  What is a suitable location, how do I get there and what do I do with that info?
magarto

Activity: 140
Merit: 100

View Profile
April 10, 2014, 10:02:09 AM

Is 1.9.8 safe from the SSL bug?
ThomasV (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
April 10, 2014, 12:07:17 PM

Is 1.9.8 safe from the SSL bug?

see https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=562263.msg6143561#msg6143561

Abdussamad
Legendary

View Profile
April 10, 2014, 01:04:50 PM

So yes I have the latest version.  The help button just directs you to the electrum site which has no info on setting up an additional wallet with this version.

I assume a suitable name for my wallet would be placed at the bottom where it says file name and I would input
C:\Users\(me)\AppData\Roaming\Electrum\wallets\anyname_wallet

I have no idea what navigating to a suitable location on my hard drive means.  What is a suitable location, how do I get there and what do I do with that info?

When you use file > new/restore you are creating a new wallet so you need to choose a folder on your hard drive to save that new wallet file. You also need to choose a name for that wallet file. The name and location you've given above sounds fine.

Later when you want to open the wallet using file > open you will navigate to the folder where you saved the wallet file and select it.
nioc
Legendary

View Profile
April 10, 2014, 07:43:48 PM

Thank you Abdussamad, success!  I thought maybe I had to choose a suitable location from the many folders displayed on the left side.  Why are they there? 

Anyway when you know what you're doing it is very simple.  I don't remember if it is the same as when I set up my first wallet but I like that you have to confirm your seed.  Time to test it.  Again thanks for all your help.
SebastianJu
Legendary

Activity: 2674
Merit: 1082

Legendary Escrow Service - Tip Jar in Profile

View Profile WWW
April 16, 2014, 10:27:23 AM

I like and use Electrum often but now i nearly made a big error that partly is because of Electrum's behaviour to redraw the lists and put you on the first line again. (Breaking label writing and so on in the same step.)

I wanted to send 4 bitcoins to my smartphone. I had a contact with a label in my electrum. I searched the contact, only one label to see on the screen, and must have looked away shortly, i clicked the only address that had a label on the screen and sent since i believed when i used "send to" it has to be the correct address.

Unfortunately it didnt reach the target. I checked the transaction and did not find out what address i sent to. I thought maybe i had a virus that changed an address in clipboard but when i checked blockchain i sent a transaction to it a year ago. Luckily it was the address of a friend that had a label "Friend Test". So i could get the 4BTC back now.

I know its my fault too to not check more carefully though i didnt thought in that moment about the possibility that electrum could change the screen i see. So i used the address that was the only one with a label like the page was where i searched the address before.

I really would like to see Electrum mature here and have a more user friendly updating procedure. Its the first time it could have done harm now but it was work before too often enough. Writing labels... update... searching the address again, writing label again. Or when checking transactions to find anything. I have thousands of transactions and its extremely annoying to go through the list and... youre at the start again. Now try to find where you were and hope that it not updates before you can search a bit more.

Please ALWAYS contact me through bitcointalk pm before sending someone coins.
ThomasV (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
April 16, 2014, 10:45:57 AM

I like and use Electrum often but now i nearly made a big error that partly is because of Electrum's behaviour to redraw the lists and put you on the first line again. (Breaking label writing and so on in the same step.)

I wanted to send 4 bitcoins to my smartphone. I had a contact with a label in my electrum. I searched the contact, only one label to see on the screen, and must have looked away shortly, i clicked the only address that had a label on the screen and sent since i believed when i used "send to" it has to be the correct address.

Unfortunately it didnt reach the target. I checked the transaction and did not find out what address i sent to. I thought maybe i had a virus that changed an address in clipboard but when i checked blockchain i sent a transaction to it a year ago. Luckily it was the address of a friend that had a label "Friend Test". So i could get the 4BTC back now.

I know its my fault too to not check more carefully though i didnt thought in that moment about the possibility that electrum could change the screen i see. So i used the address that was the only one with a label like the page was where i searched the address before.

I really would like to see Electrum mature here and have a more user friendly updating procedure. Its the first time it could have done harm now but it was work before too often enough. Writing labels... update... searching the address again, writing label again. Or when checking transactions to find anything. I have thousands of transactions and its extremely annoying to go through the list and... youre at the start again. Now try to find where you were and hope that it not updates before you can search a bit more.

I understand; I will try to fix this soon.

SebastianJu
Legendary

Activity: 2674
Merit: 1082

Legendary Escrow Service - Tip Jar in Profile

View Profile WWW
April 16, 2014, 09:34:16 PM

I understand; I will try to fix this soon.

Thanks a lot!

Please ALWAYS contact me through bitcointalk pm before sending someone coins.
Pages: « 1 ... 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 [82] 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 »
  Print  

Jump to: