Bitcoin Forum
April 18, 2024, 08:06:40 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Disscussion: Innovation(technology) that changed the world.  (Read 203 times)
CryptopreneurBrainboss (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 2226
Merit: 4130

eXch.cx - Automatic crypto Swap Exchange.

View Profile WWW
January 25, 2019, 04:27:39 AM

Few days back I was having a discussion that turned into a debate with my peers.  We were arguing on the innovations that changed our planet as we have today. Some suggested improvements on healthcare others suggested, improvement on transportation (faster transportations)etc but the three suggestions that was gaining ground were electricity, radio frequency and the internet. The debate didn't come to a conclusion to produce a winner because we all got exaulted  and decided to call it a day.  I have decided to seek the suggestions of the ivory tower users because this is a very serious disscussion. So what do you guys think,  which technology (innovation) changed our world the most?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The forum was founded in 2009 by Satoshi and Sirius. It replaced a SourceForge forum.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
bitmover
Legendary

Activity: 2282
Merit: 5876

bitcoindata.science

View Profile WWW
January 25, 2019, 01:14:10 PM
Merited by suchmoon (4), Welsh (3), CryptopreneurBrainboss (1)

We were arguing on the innovations that changed our planet as we have today.
-snip-
So what do you guys think,  which technology (innovation) changed our world the most?

It is very hard to think of one technology without setting specific parameters, such as last 30 years, 100 years, 1000 years...

Recently the most recent innovation that changed our lives was the smartphone.

Yesterday I was thinking that I spend too much time using my smartphone, so I would try to keep it at home tomorrow. But I use my smartphone to unlock a public bike that I have been using daily, so I cannot leave my house without my smartphone! The whole mankind is just staring at smartphones now.... that´s so crazy.

Smartphone wouldn't be anything without the internet, so I believe internet is really the "innovation" behind smartphones.

And of course, there would not be internet without electricity....

Certainly electricity changed humanity a lot, it even changed our sleeping habits, as people were then able to easily stay awake at night.
Jet Cash
Legendary

Activity: 2688
Merit: 2449

https://JetCash.com

View Profile WWW
January 25, 2019, 01:26:58 PM
Merited by suchmoon (4)

Farming was the invention that had the greatest effect. Without farming man would have remained a hunter/gather, and would never have had the time to reflect on potential changes, discuss them, and then implement them.
bitmover
Legendary

Activity: 2282
Merit: 5876

bitcoindata.science

View Profile WWW
January 25, 2019, 03:17:39 PM

Farming was the invention that had the greatest effect. Without farming man would have remained a hunter/gather, and would never have had the time to reflect on potential changes, discuss them, and then implement them.

Certainly. I was talking about this book, Sapiens,  where the authors talks about history of mankind since before Homo Sapiens.
He talks in much detail about the Agriculture Revolution. It changed mankind forever, as we were nomadic before that (hunters and gathers).

the agricultural revolution is what allowed the humanity form towns and cities. Having houses and a fixed location allowed us to develop lots of different tools, technologies, philosophy, political institutions...

however at the same time plagues became more common and our diet changed a lot. Hunters and gathers had a more diversified diet, with different fruits, seed, cereals, meat, fish, etc... 
with the advent of agriculture humanity began to consume little variety of food (too much corn for example). And plagues became more common.

Before the agriculture revolution, he talks about other revolution: The Cognitive revolution. When mankind began to form larger groups of people and some kind of organization, different from the other homo species.
BitBustah

Activity: 1218
Merit: 534

View Profile
January 25, 2019, 05:48:19 PM

Agree, agriculture has had the greatest effect on humanity.  Before farming humans only lived in small tribes and were hunter gatherers.  We didn't have large civilizations until humans were able to harvest and store grains in mass quantities. 
CryptopreneurBrainboss (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 2226
Merit: 4130

eXch.cx - Automatic crypto Swap Exchange.

View Profile WWW
February 17, 2019, 08:00:30 PM

Lets fast forward to the 70's, 80's and 90's looking at the innovations that shaped our world as we have it today. We all know farming was a major motivation but it doesn't stop there, what other innovation or technology changed the world more?.
_Miracle

Activity: 904
Merit: 655

Do due diligence

View Profile WWW
February 18, 2019, 06:27:00 AM

Fire
agriculture
----Money---
shelter (homes)
 channeling water (from aqueducts to toilets)
The Printing Press
   electricity (and of course then A/C)---    lol ---also  air conditioning :-)
telecommunications
Automobiles

Computers ---> networked information  --->  world wide connectivity and shared information

Us talking to each other right now
Jet Cash
Legendary

Activity: 2688
Merit: 2449

https://JetCash.com

View Profile WWW
February 18, 2019, 08:50:37 AM

The unicorn is one invention that is changing the world as we know it today. Unicorns were created to lead free spirited wild horses into slavery and captivity. If you take a domestically bred stallion, and fit a horn on its head, and then you release it close to a herd of wild horses, it will join the herd, and become the alha male. Then you can return to the herd and summon the alpha male, who will then lead the whole herd into captivity. It beats spending days trying to catch the horses individually.

Most of the world politicians are unicorns in modern society. They are leading nations into captivity, and stripping their savings and national assets.
MakeMoneyBtc

Activity: 1092
Merit: 117

View Profile
February 28, 2019, 12:12:42 AM

In my opinion electricity is one of the most important innovation ever created and that's because since it was created and until the end of humanity, people are always going to use it in almost anything they do. Lets think about this seriously, if electricity wouldn't have been invented could we live the same life we are living today? Obviously not. So much things have changed because of electricity that you can't even make a list of it.
vapourminer
Legendary

Activity: 4298
Merit: 3505

what is this "brake pedal" you speak of?

View Profile
February 28, 2019, 08:17:13 PM

not the most important but optics changed the way we view things, opening the world to the very small and the very distant. as well as correcting peoples vision.
CristianOff

Activity: 421
Merit: 97

View Profile
March 01, 2019, 01:11:26 AM

Problem is that innovation is reliant on previous innovation.

Smartphones changed the way we interact, we think, etc. but smartphones could not exist without electricity. Does that
make electricity the most important innovation?

In my opinion, the technology that changed the world most is tomorrow's technology
Pmalek
Legendary

Activity: 2744
Merit: 7068

View Profile
March 01, 2019, 09:44:07 PM

It doesn't fit into the technology sphere but don't forget medicine. My grandmother is over 90 years old. Two of her brothers died as infants after getting a cold. There was no medicine, drugs or doctors nearby to help them. 90 years ago isn't that long if you think about it. We went from that to body part transplants and in 50 years or less those who can afford it will probably be able to grow there own body parts in a lab.   
TeQuiero

Activity: 120
Merit: 38

View Profile
March 02, 2019, 02:24:24 AM

We were arguing on the innovations that changed our planet as we have today.
-snip-
So what do you guys think,  which technology (innovation) changed our world the most?

It is very hard to think of one technology without setting specific parameters, such as last 30 years, 100 years, 1000 years...

Recently the most recent innovation that changed our lives was the smartphone.

IMO, smartphone is not exactly a "technology innovation" as the OP stated. It's just a product behind a lot of other innovation, including "Semiconductor Technology". Semiconductor has a lot of irreplaceable application in producing flash memories, DRAM, sensor, OLED panel and the most important: chipsets. Virtually all of our daily life used devices contain those things, from smartphones, tablets, smart TVs, laptops to cars. Imagine, if we didn't achieve many important advancement in semiconductor technology, a smartphone would be as big as a brick and a smart TV would be as thick as a ball...

Economics wise, semiconductor technology helped transform South Korea, leading by Samsung Electronics - the world's largest semiconductor supplier, from a war zone to a sub top 10 economy.
MakeMoneyBtc

Activity: 1092
Merit: 117

View Profile
March 04, 2019, 06:12:00 PM

It doesn't fit into the technology sphere but don't forget medicine. My grandmother is over 90 years old. Two of her brothers died as infants after getting a cold. There was no medicine, drugs or doctors nearby to help them. 90 years ago isn't that long if you think about it. We went from that to body part transplants and in 50 years or less those who can afford it will probably be able to grow there own body parts in a lab.   
That's right, medicine is probably in top 3 most important innovation. In the past people were dying from a simple flu, because there was literally no cure for that and our body could not fight with the viruses alone. At the end if you think every innovation was extremely important for us and we couldn't live without any of it so it is useless to talk about wich is better.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: