Bitcoin Forum
May 06, 2024, 09:21:37 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: guidance "recovering" bitcoin.  (Read 295 times)
kevinnem (OP)

Activity: 18
Merit: 1

View Profile
January 28, 2019, 06:16:19 PM
Merited by LoyceV (1)

Hello Everyone, bit of a odd, embarrassing, question here.

I got some bit coin a while ago, and I plan to hold on to it for a while. I didn't forget that I have it , I just kinda lost touch with the technology. and I am not sure how to access the coins now.

While I don't want to sell it today , I want to make sure I still "have" access to it, and can sell it when I want, or use it to buy stuff.
I stored it on a computer, that I no longer use, but I can still access the files( for now). I might have a wallet address.

The original program I was using required a large download, I think it was like 5 gig at the time, it was the block chain I think.

How do I go about "finding", and regaiing contorll of my coins ( I have some lite coin as well to )  - you can assume I am as noob as it comes.

Links to help guides are also appreciated.
Cheers.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"With e-currency based on cryptographic proof, without the need to trust a third party middleman, money can be secure and transactions effortless." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
LoyceV
Legendary

Activity: 3304
Merit: 16609

Thick-Skinned Gang Leader and Golden Feather 2021

View Profile WWW
January 28, 2019, 06:43:37 PM

Short version: You probably need Bitcoin Core (now 200 GB), and the file you're looking for is wallet.dat.
Make safe offline backups before doing anything else!

Long version: [overview] Recover Bitcoin from any old storage format.

If the blockchain was 5Gb, then the coins you have got in the wallet will probably buy you a Lambo. Smiley
Judging by his post history:
Mine is : 1QCvEe6xU6Dsh83bxEaEsh8ftGnoqUvgoH
He's looking at at least 2BTC ($7000). And that brings me to the next point: Don't trust any PMs you receive!

Jet Cash
Legendary

Activity: 2702
Merit: 2456

https://JetCash.com

View Profile WWW
January 28, 2019, 06:49:35 PM

If the blockchain was 5Gb, then the coins you have got in the wallet will probably buy you a Lambo. Smiley

Offgrid campers allow you to enjoy life and preserve your health and wealth.
Save old Cars - my project to save old cars from scrapage schemes, and to reduce the sale of new cars.
My new Bitcoin transfer address is - bc1q9gtz8e40en6glgxwk4eujuau2fk5wxrprs6fys
kevinnem (OP)

View Profile
January 28, 2019, 07:07:25 PM

no , not buy a long shot .. I wish though. (maybe it was 50 gig?). It not appropriate to talk about how much I hav eI don't think . but converted, less then 10000 Cnd.
Chandu141

Activity: 385
Merit: 251

Your Campaign Manager!

View Profile
January 28, 2019, 07:16:31 PM

blockchain size has got nothing to do with total funds on wallet imo   Huh

Jet Cash
Legendary

Activity: 2702
Merit: 2456

https://JetCash.com

View Profile WWW
January 28, 2019, 07:36:13 PM

blockchain size has got nothing to do with total funds on wallet imo   Huh

Not directly - but what was the value of a single Bitcoin when the blockchain was just 5Gb?

Offgrid campers allow you to enjoy life and preserve your health and wealth.
Save old Cars - my project to save old cars from scrapage schemes, and to reduce the sale of new cars.
My new Bitcoin transfer address is - bc1q9gtz8e40en6glgxwk4eujuau2fk5wxrprs6fys
kevinnem (OP)

View Profile
January 28, 2019, 07:48:43 PM

read through that ,, .. I think I might have the wallet.dat files.. just not sure what to "DO" with them ...

certainly appreciate the theme of that post  of "first do no harm"!

Short version: You probably need Bitcoin Core (now 200 GB), and the file you're looking for is wallet.dat.
Make safe offline backups before doing anything else!

Long version: [overview] Recover Bitcoin from any old storage format.

Judging by his post history:
Mine is : 1QCvEe6xU6Dsh83bxEaEsh8ftGnoqUvgoH
He's looking at at least 2BTC ($7000). And that brings me to the next point: Don't trust any PMs you receive!
KingZee

Activity: 910
Merit: 452

Check your coin privilege

View Profile
January 28, 2019, 08:34:23 PM

You could scan your whole drive for bitcoin core wallets. (Bitcoin core was one of the very few wallets back in the day, so there is a huge change it's the one you had)

I made this a few months ago : https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=5071775

I bumped it so you/other future people could see it, since this problem seems to be recurring every month.

The latest version also dumps your private keys in a text file wherever it found the wallet, so you can easily import them in a new wallet if you prefer, instead of downloading the full blockchain again / upgrading bitcoin core.

Beep boop beep boop
keychainX

Activity: 374
Merit: 53

Telegram @keychainX

View Profile WWW
January 29, 2019, 04:59:40 PM

Hello Everyone, bit of a odd, embarrassing, question here.

I got some bit coin a while ago, and I plan to hold on to it for a while. I didn't forget that I have it , I just kinda lost touch with the technology. and I am not sure how to access the coins now.

While I don't want to sell it today , I want to make sure I still "have" access to it, and can sell it when I want, or use it to buy stuff.
I stored it on a computer, that I no longer use, but I can still access the files( for now). I might have a wallet address.

The original program I was using required a large download, I think it was like 5 gig at the time, it was the block chain I think.

How do I go about "finding", and regaiing contorll of my coins ( I have some lite coin as well to )  - you can assume I am as noob as it comes.

Links to help guides are also appreciated.
Cheers.

Maybe you should clarify WHAT you have,

1) Is it a wallet.dat file?
2) is it a blockchain.com online wallet login or backup file?
3) Do you have a 12/24 word backup mnemonic phrase?
4) When was the coins purchased and when was the last time you accessed them?

/KX

Abdussamad
Legendary

Activity: 3612
Merit: 1564

View Profile
January 29, 2019, 09:07:13 PM
Merited by ABCbits (1), bones261 (1)

To use your wallet.dat file you place it in an empty directory. Then simply download and install bitcoin core from bitcoincore.org and the first time you run it it'll ask you for the location of the data directory. Point it to the directory with the wallet.dat file. It'll then load your wallet file and start synching the blockchain. The blockchain is some 200GB so if you wish to continue using bitcoin core you will have to wait for it to download and verify all that. It'll take a few days. Note that you don't have to store all 200GB. You can enable disk space usage limits in the software settings (look for the settings option in the menus).  However you will have to download it all.

Alternatively if you want to bail you can go to help > debug window > console and then type "dumpwallet </path/to/dump/file>" to dump your private keys. If you have a password set you may have to do "walletpassphrase <password> 600" first. Then you can open your wallet dump file using a plaintext editor like notepad and sweep your private keys into electrum. Your private keys are the long strings beginning with 5,K, or L.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: