Bitcoin Forum
July 16, 2019, 05:45:35 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 0.18.0 [Torrent] (New!)

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Blockchain-Based MMO for Desktop + Mobile  (Read 119 times)
Vt100

Activity: 28
Merit: 2

View Profile
January 30, 2019, 08:38:18 PM
Last edit: February 21, 2019, 01:43:22 AM by Vt100
Merited by eternalgloom (2)

The project in question is a minimalist science fiction game called Apsis Online that has been in development for about four years.  Having recently released both V1 and V2 as a classic roguelike for Linux, this is just an extended prototype.

My goal is to port this over to mobile with a graphical skin and allow players to mine resources in-game in exchange for the games native currency. Which can then be converted to Bitcoin. The platform that the game runs on is a derivative of a small command-line social network and crypto exchange and interactive bitcoin wallet that I’ve kept to myself mostly due to lack of time since finishing.

My biggest roadblock at current is financing servers and contracting out some 2D art for the mobile port. The vast majority of the technical work is done so at this point hoping to raise some cash and bring on a few people for the long haul. There is a potential for an ICO based on the default in-game currency but it may be unnecessary.  Monetization opportunities range from selling ad space within the forum (also baked into the engine) to establishing a premium storefront to allowing crypto trading as a feature.

If you’d like to talk feel free to get in touch via vt1000 on Telegram.  I personally have about 7 years experience in the games industry and have run a few major crypto projects up until late last year. Looking forward to hearing from you.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction. Advertise here.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
harizen
Legendary

Activity: 1582
Merit: 1134

View Profile
January 30, 2019, 08:50:31 PM

Since then, I have noticed that crypto based games or such games with touch or involvement to blockchain isn't really fascinating to lots of users. There are lots of crypto based games where I looked on but unfortunately some of them are now closed. In-game currency that can be exchange to btc or any other crypto is one of the best features that I want to implemented on a certain game.

Funding and finding a team is not an issue I believed. It's just that there is no good return after spending funds and time.

Im a game enthusiast myself and currently playing some MMO and MMORPG games so I really like the idea of a blockchain based games.

Well then, story short, I just want to say goodluck on the project and hoping that it will have a good output in the future.

eternalgloom
Legendary

Activity: 1638
Merit: 1210

View Profile WWW
January 31, 2019, 11:33:35 AM

I'd say that your alpha version already looks good enough to start a Kickstarter for example.
That would be a better option than doing an ICO for this, in my opinion at least.

When you're comparing the cost of setting up a Kickstarter to the cost of launching a successful ICO, I think you'll get more out of a decently presented Kickstarter campaign.

I think you'll reach more of your target audience/investors on Kickstarter, just because a game like this is a very nostalgic experience for most people.
Those sorts of games usually do pretty good on Kickstarter.

If you're doing an ICO, you'll have to spend a lot on advertising and it's going to be more difficult to reach an audience that's interested in a game like this.

Vt100

View Profile
January 31, 2019, 03:26:23 PM
Last edit: January 31, 2019, 03:41:07 PM by Vt100

Well then, story short, I just want to say goodluck on the project and hoping that it will have a good output in the future.

Thanks a lot!

Since then, I have noticed that crypto based games or such games with touch or involvement to blockchain isn't really fascinating to lots of users. There are lots of crypto based games where I looked on but unfortunately some of them are now closed. In-game currency that can be exchange to btc or any other crypto is one of the best features that I want to implemented on a certain game.

Funding and finding a team is not an issue I believed. It's just that there is no good return after spending funds and time.

Im a game enthusiast myself and currently playing some MMO and MMORPG games so I really like the idea of a blockchain based games.

I suppose my long term goal is to make the blockchain aspect a feature and not the purpose.  To be honest I didn’t really want to emphasize that part much at all but the overall market environment makes new MMOs grasp at straws in order to find a real place and most importantly, an audience. Who for me at the moment is Linux users.

I also realized that I completely goofed in my pitch here.  Another aspect of that game that I think serves the crypto community is the engines focus on anonymity. There is no email required to register and all chat logs are kept and left on the wire. As in, they are sent, relayed and received but not saved locally or otherwise. And the reason for this is because I’m just one guy with no business storing that stuff in the first place. I plan to add some kind of 2-factor as well as allowing people to opt-in to email registration in order to receive perks. But we’ll see. Thanks for the merit friend!

Latest news: MassivelyOP article on obscure mmorpgs.

In terms of crowdfunding, I’m a bit hesitant only because I only need to raise around $1400 for a reskin since I don’t plan on paying myself. And despite roguelikes being fairly popular as far as small niches go the overall market is taken up by larger players making it a bit harder for small scope mmos especially in the scifi genre.  Signups are growing but the broader the appeal I think the better. And given the size, I think mobile would be an excellent fit over the long term.
Vt100

View Profile
February 05, 2019, 06:59:40 PM

Friendly bump, just wanted to say that I am looking for ICO partners for a game token.  People who also know the space, can post photos and participate in social media etc.
Vt100

View Profile
February 21, 2019, 01:41:56 AM

Last bump, the game is now available for Windows. I’m also looking for designers who are familiar with classic roguelikes and bitcoin.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Sponsored by , a Bitcoin-accepting VPN.