Bitcoin Forum
April 24, 2024, 02:03:16 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: The Jet Cash coffee lounge thread.  (Read 2397 times)
Jet Cash (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 2688
Merit: 2449

https://JetCash.com

View Profile WWW
February 05, 2019, 09:46:31 AM
Merited by suchmoon (10), hugeblack (1), friends1980 (1)

Following the suggestion by several members that I should start a general chat thread in the Ivory Tower, I thought I would do it. So here is the Jet Cash coffee lounge chat thread. Please use it for general discussion, and avoid bashing other members, extreme political or religious views.  Treat it as you would treat a respectable coffee lounge in a respectable part of town. Many of the members here have awesome abilities, and interesting life styles - it would be great to discuss topics related to their skills and interests.

At the moment I'm taking a break from watching the charts as I try to teach myself about short term trading. Bitcoin is moving sideways, and I'm only playing with £50 -£100 positions, and I'm not using gearing, so my profits are in pennies. At least I don't seem to be losing money, so I don't think it's a bad start.

Another task for today is to add a few pages to my new site to help people in countries like Venezuela. I started this to utilise one of my domain names that I've been ignoring. The site is Oil Drum, and I feel that that is a reasonable name for such a topic. I know a woman who is supporting her family in Venezuela by sending money from England. I suspect that she doesn't earn a great deal, and she send Sterling vi a bank transfer. The family then exchanges this on the black market. I bet that there is quite a drop between the amount she sends, and the money the family is able to spend. Hopefully, I can help her to find a better way to transfer funds.

I like the idea of a general chat thread, and I hope that a couple of the members who are more popular than I am will be able to start similar threads.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Whoever mines the block which ends up containing your transaction will get its fee.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
bitmover
Legendary

Activity: 2282
Merit: 5881

bitcoindata.science

View Profile WWW
February 05, 2019, 10:10:00 AM
Last edit: February 05, 2019, 10:48:22 AM by bitmover
Merited by The Sceptical Chymist (2), xhomerx10 (1)

Following the suggestion by several members that I should start a general chat thread in the Ivory Tower, I thought I would do it. So here is the Jet Cash coffee lounge chat thread. Please use it for general discussion, and avoid bashing other members, extreme political or religious views.  Treat it as you would treat a respectable coffee lounge in a respectable part of town.

Nice initiative. Let's hope we can get nice discussions.

At the moment I'm taking a break from watching the charts as I try to teach myself about short term trading. Bitcoin is moving sideways, and I'm only playing with £50 -£100 positions, and I'm not using gearing, so my profits are in pennies. At least I don't seem to be losing money, so I don't think it's a bad start.

Trading is certainly not my style, I am more focused on long term investing.
Recently I read a few pages of a nice book, Fooled by Randomness.

The author mentions some interesting statistics, which I will try to somehow summarize in a few lines :
He mentions that in the last 40 years, SP500 raised about 12% a year. (Average)

If you look at charts once a year, about 90% of the years the sp500 index was green, and 10% in red.
However, the more you look, the worst it is: if you look the charts every quarter , you will have about 70% green and 30% red.
If you look the charts daily, you will see 54% green and 46% red.

Additionally, our generation is now looking the charts every hour or even every minute. This is so crazy. If you do that, probably you will see 50% -50% , even if the long term is green.

This is how you are Fooled by Randomness.

After reading that I got more relaxed about charts..
Jet Cash (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
February 05, 2019, 10:30:21 AM

Thanks for looking in. I've got some nice Earl Grey tea here, and we really need to find a way for me to share it with you - that would be the really innovative block chain. Smiley

I agree about the TA charts, and the long term holding. My real interest is based on discovery to optimise my accumulation. It is also interesting to get a feel for the way the market is being manipulated. I'm starting to become aware that volume graphs, order book depth, and EMAs are useful considerations when deciding when to buy.
BitBustah

Activity: 1218
Merit: 534

View Profile
February 05, 2019, 02:30:40 PM
Last edit: February 05, 2019, 04:56:42 PM by BitBustah

I've never been much of a day trader, I'm just a holder.

I'm re-watching my favorite T.V. show The Office ( Us Version)

Eating some coconut and bananas right now Smiley, I've never been much of a tea drinker, only way I like iced tea is if its loaded with sugar.  IF i had to choose between water and no sugar tea I would choose water.
Foxpup
Legendary

Activity: 4340
Merit: 3042

Vile Vixen and Miss Bitcointalk 2021-2023

View Profile
February 05, 2019, 05:06:14 PM
Merited by The Sceptical Chymist (3)

I'm presently sipping an absinthe martini. Rinse cocktail glass with 1/12 oz Swiss absinthe (I'm using Duplais Balance), drain excess into shaker, add 2 oz London dry gin (Bombay Sapphire in this case) and ice, shake and double-strain. I don't normally shake martinis, but the absinthe benefits from the extra dilution. I also don't bother with garnishes, but if I did, a lemon twist would be appropriate. Duplais Balance, being a somewhat wormwood-forward absinthe, gives the drink a crisp bitterness that is strongly reminiscent of a Vesper, if you're familiar with the famous (and quite excellent) James Bond cocktail.

Speaking of martinis, do these drinks (the absinthe martini and Vesper) deserve to called such? What about vodka martinis? There are a number of people who feel that only gin and vermouth can properly be called a martini, but I feel these drinks are just slight variations on the same theme, so they're in the same category as far as I'm concerned. Certainly there are a number of drinks calling themselves "martinis" that aren't even in the same ballpark, but since we're trying to keep things civilised, we shall not discuss them.
Jet Cash (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
February 05, 2019, 05:28:01 PM
Last edit: February 05, 2019, 06:46:37 PM by Jet Cash

You guys are so decadent. I've got such simple tastes - a good single malt scotch, or a fine dry champagne. However, I've virtually stopped drinking alcohol, as I seem to be driving several times a day. I'm also drinking far too much coffee, and I've started to add a pinch of sodium bicarbonate to cut down on the acid.

My trading wallets are long on fiat, and contain no Bitcoin at all at the moment. I'm expecting the price to slip a bit over the next few days. I'm tempted to transfer some Bitcoin out of my savings vault, but I must resist the impulse to sell, and stay with the idea of keeping it as a long term investment.

>>>>>>>

I need to do some research into restaurant seating. I've got a bit of back ache at the moment, and I think it is the result of spending too much time in McDonalds. I don't particularly like the food, in fact I'm a bit apprehensive about it, so I drink a lot of coffee. They provide PG tips tea, and that is a globalist rip off tea, and not very good quality. The benches are not conducive to good posture, and that might be the cause of the problem. I spent this afternoon in KFC, and they use Twinings tea, and I think that is of a higher quality. They also have chairs that provide a bit of support for the lower back.

Breakfast was poached eggs on toast with Clipper organic Earl Grey tea, and that was in the Morrisons supermarket cafe. I sat in one of the club chairs in the lounge section, and I feel much more comfortable after my break from McDonalds.
jackg
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 2856
Merit: 3071

https://bit.ly/387FXHi lightning theory

View Profile
February 05, 2019, 07:32:43 PM

What does absinthe taste of? It's a thing I always get offered but never wanted to try...

I'm being bad also, I shouldn't have posted here without trying to key in the letters with one hand while the other is hiding a piping hot cup of tea that I'm drinking Grin (it's how a program Wink ).

I'm trying to accumulate mainly bitcoin also. I also have an interest in trying to improve the blockchain somewhat if I can...
Foxpup
Legendary

View Profile
February 05, 2019, 09:15:04 PM
Merited by paxmao (1)

What does absinthe taste of? It's a thing I always get offered but never wanted to try...
Real absinthe tastes primarily of anise/liquorice with varying degrees of bitter herbs - if you've tried other anise-flavoured spirits such as ouzo, sambuca, or pastis, you've got the basic idea. Fake absinthe tastes like cheap vodka mixed with Windex, and I'm not even exaggerating. It's worse than mixto tequila.

Real absinthe has recently been quietly legalised in many countries following the discovery in 2006 that its psychoactive properties are due to its extremely high alcohol content (typically 60-70% abv) rather than its supposedly hallucinogenic herbs (yes, drug laws really are that stupid). Given this, I don't understand why the nasty fake stuff still exists.
o_e_l_e_o
In memoriam
Legendary

Activity: 2268
Merit: 18507

View Profile
February 06, 2019, 09:08:46 AM

I'll definitely join you for a nice single malt there Jet Cash - anything from Islay would be my preference. Lagavulin 16 is an old favourite, as is a Laphroaig Quarter Cask.

I have a couple of nice whiskies at home, and I'd always toyed with the idea of somehow sharing them with the forum - decanting in to 50ml bottles and sending a sample to anyone who was interested. Not sure how much interest there would be in receiving a whisky from a random internet stranger, however.

There are lots of different lower back supports available - from belts you can wear to cushions that attach to the back of chairs. Might be worth making a small purchase for the good of your long term health. Chronic back pain is no joke.
Jet Cash (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
February 06, 2019, 09:27:35 AM

I think less time spent in McDonalds, and more exercise is the answer. When the weather improves, I'll spend some time clearing my garages. Here is a pic of one -

I've got eight like that.

A bit of swimming at Hayling Island will help as well.
BitBustah

Activity: 1218
Merit: 534

View Profile
February 06, 2019, 02:32:32 PM

Mcdonalds have gotten a lot nicer over the years.  The ones around me have updated their interiors and look quite modern.  Free wifi, so a lot of people write and do work here.

Not everything is unhealthy there, they have some decent menu options.  Sometimes you just want something quick and don't want to spend time cooking. Shocked
bitart

Activity: 1442
Merit: 629

Vires in Numeris

View Profile
February 06, 2019, 08:48:33 PM

I think less time spent in McDonalds, and more exercise is the answer. When the weather improves, I'll spend some time clearing my garages. Here is a pic of one -
I've got eight like that.
Wow, nice collection Tongue
What about putting the usable things on ebay? You can get rid of the unnecessary stuff and also gain a bit more capital to trade with Smiley win-win Cheesy
Jet Cash (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
February 08, 2019, 07:59:33 AM
Merited by paxmao (1)

Whatever you think of the Quadriga exchange situation, it has kicked some interesting topics into the public domain.
One id the fact that a single person had total control and access to the funds, and hopefully safeguards against this happening again will be built into the structure of other exchanges.

The other bit of information that has surfaced should have been obvious to me, but I hadn't really though about it. This is the death industry, and this seems to be fairly well established in parts of India. If you want to escape from a large debt liability, or run off with stolen assets, then a faked death is an obvious way to do this. In the past, people had to go through complex deceptions to arrange this. Car and aircraft crashes involving fire and alternative bodies were methods that have been tried. It seems to be a much simpler operation these days. All you need to do is to stay in a suitable town or village, and pay an arrangement fee. This covers a hospital visit, a terminal illness diagnosis, a death certificate, and the disposal of a non-existent body.
jackg
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 2856
Merit: 3071

https://bit.ly/387FXHi lightning theory

View Profile
February 08, 2019, 11:49:07 AM

He could've died though. One of the treasurers here died with what I think was a few thousand bitcoin... His family couldn't recover the funds so they were just gone from the forum.

This isn't something that will quickly be resolved there might not even be a solution or anything that becomes possible from it. Still, if you're given a terminal diagnosis one should expect you'd give at least someone else access to the funds, even if it's timelocked.
Jet Cash (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
February 08, 2019, 05:33:23 PM

I missed the £300 bull run today. I had the trading panel open, but it was in the background, and I was watching a couple of long political videos at the time. I completely misread the market, and I had a buy order open, but it was far too low to kick in. I'm still not sure that we are out of the bear market.
Jet Cash (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
February 15, 2019, 04:58:02 PM

Well this coffee lounge seems to have gone  bit quiet. I guess I need to switch brands, so lets move away from talking about boring stats, and talk about off grid mining. Now that summer is approaching, I really fancy parking a camper van on the beach, and running a small mining rig from a solar panel.

Ignoring the delightful company that one can find on the beaches, swimming in the sea is a great was to gain some iodine. Iodine was removed from bread as a raising agent in the 1970s, and it was replaced by bromine. Just another way that the global eugenics lot try to reduce fertility and the population. Swimming in the sea is a great way to do your bit for humanity, and supporting Bitcoin helps to cope with the depredations of the bankers.
bitart

Activity: 1442
Merit: 629

Vires in Numeris

View Profile
February 15, 2019, 06:42:29 PM

Well this coffee lounge seems to have gone  bit quiet. I guess I need to switch brands, so lets move away from talking about boring stats, and talk about off grid mining. Now that summer is approaching, I really fancy parking a camper van on the beach, and running a small mining rig from a solar panel.

Ignoring the delightful company that one can find on the beaches, swimming in the sea is a great was to gain some iodine. Iodine was removed from bread as a raising agent in the 1970s, and it was replaced by bromine. Just another way that the global eugenics lot try to reduce fertility and the population. Swimming in the sea is a great way to do your bit for humanity, and supporting Bitcoin helps to cope with the depredations of the bankers.
Could you recommend a small minig rig for off grid mining? What would you mine with that small rig? (I think you don't want to mine bitcoin with a solar powered small rig?)
Jet Cash (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
February 15, 2019, 06:50:28 PM

I'm only just starting to explore the topic. It was only this afternoon that I realised you could run an ASIC miner from leisure batteries charged by solar. I don't look on it as a business venture. I would expect it is more likely to earn enough for an ice cream rather than a Lambo. The interesting project would be to mine alts, and save them in the hope of future gains.  I'd need to understand more about mining alts before I could comment on that.
Foxpup
Legendary

View Profile
February 15, 2019, 06:52:28 PM
Merited by PowerGlove (1)

Iodine was removed from bread as a raising agent in the 1970s, and it was replaced by bromine.
I'm pretty sure that's not the case outside of the US. And inside of the US, people get more than enough salt in their diet to meet their iodine requirement, so there's nothing to worry about.

Pictured: Typical American cuisine. See? Perfectly healthy. Grin
Jet Cash (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
February 15, 2019, 06:57:09 PM

Iodine was removed from bread in the UK. I buy Himalayan pink salt because it contains traces of Iodine. most table salt is refined, and contains additives to ensure it is free flowing.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: