Bitcoin Forum
April 18, 2024, 01:04:57 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: What about a non-violent forum protest over the Ponzis?  (Read 2634 times)
Micon (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1232
Merit: 1014

FPV Drone Pilot

View Profile WWW
March 11, 2014, 08:53:42 AM

like we make 20x threads of

"PONZI'S ARE NOT GAMBLING.  MODS PLEASE MAKE A NEW SUB.  LEGITIMATE BITCOIN GAMBLING SITES ARE BEING HURT"

and bump the everyliving nuts out of them and make intelligent discussion over in /meta and try and get the mods to see we are pissed and these ponzi sites, with so many threads, are doing nothing less than ruining what was once a very tightly run and important forum for legitimate bitcoin gambling sites.  A shame all those eyeballs see nothing but Ponzi scams for the past few weeks.  Prolly turned off a bunch of gamblers.  Legit sites are the big losers in this.  -1 bitcoin image too.

I'm flying FPV race drones these days. Check out my YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/MiconFPV

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
If you see garbage posts (off-topic, trolling, spam, no point, etc.), use the "report to moderator" links. All reports are investigated, though you will rarely be contacted about your reports.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
notserp
Legendary

Activity: 2240
Merit: 1001

View Profile
March 11, 2014, 09:28:37 AM

yep we got to do something
zolace

Activity: 364
Merit: 250

View Profile
March 11, 2014, 10:21:07 AM

Tried for weeks but The Mods dont care

⚂⚄ Pocket Dice — Real dice experienceProvably Fair
Free BTC Faucet
⚅⚁
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
FUR11

Activity: 378

FURring bitcoin up since 1762

View Profile
March 11, 2014, 10:35:40 AM

Perhaps then it's time to get new mods? 

Vortuarackne

Activity: 28
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 11, 2014, 10:46:00 AM

What's wrong with the current mods - they dont agree with you? Well that seems like a good reason to get new ones!

These are ponzi-type games, not ponzis. If you dont like that type of gambling, dont participate.
FUR11

View Profile
March 11, 2014, 10:59:36 AM

What's wrong with the current mods - they dont agree with you? Well that seems like a good reason to get new ones!

These are ponzi-type games, not ponzis. If you dont like that type of gambling, dont participate.

Anyone can see that having ponzis litter the gambling forum is detrimental to the community.  If people have been harassing the mods for weeks to try to help clean it up, and they are unwilling/unable to do so, then my suggestion would be that instead of asking them for the 15th time, maybe it needs to go higher?

And no, these are ponzi schemes.  Saying "this is a ponzi" doesn't not make it a ponzi.  Here's how you can tell that something is a ponzi scheme: IF THE PERSON RUNNING IT SAYS THAT IT IS A PONZI SCHEME!

flower1024
Legendary

Activity: 1428
Merit: 1000

View Profile
March 11, 2014, 11:04:30 AM

And no, these are ponzi schemes.  Saying "this is a ponzi" doesn't not make it a ponzi.  Here's how you can tell that something is a ponzi scheme: IF THE PERSON RUNNING IT SAYS THAT IT IS A PONZI SCHEME!

the definition of ponzi does not say anything about the customer knowing it is one or not.
but: i think ponzis which are advertising themselves as gambling are ok. i have a problem with ponzis marketed as an investment
spixel

Activity: 98
Merit: 10

View Profile
March 11, 2014, 11:09:09 AM

like we make 20x threads of

"PONZI'S ARE NOT GAMBLING.  MODS PLEASE MAKE A NEW SUB.  LEGITIMATE BITCOIN GAMBLING SITES ARE BEING HURT"

and bump the everyliving nuts out of them and make intelligent discussion over in /meta and try and get the mods to see we are pissed and these ponzi sites, with so many threads, are doing nothing less than ruining what was once a very tightly run and important forum for legitimate bitcoin gambling sites.  A shame all those eyeballs see nothing but Ponzi scams for the past few weeks.  Prolly turned off a bunch of gamblers.  Legit sites are the big losers in this.  -1 bitcoin image too.

Great, you're complaining about the gambling forum being flooded with ponzi threads.

Solution =

"20x threads of

"PONZI'S ARE NOT GAMBLING.  MODS PLEASE MAKE A NEW SUB.  LEGITIMATE BITCOIN GAMBLING SITES ARE BEING HURT"

and bump the everyliving nuts out of them

See the conflict?
Light

Activity: 742
Merit: 502

Circa 2010

View Profile
March 11, 2014, 11:19:15 AM

Great, you're complaining about the gambling forum being flooded with ponzi threads.

Solution =

"20x threads of

See the conflict?

Clearly you do not understand the irony of his post. This is exactly what is happening with the gambling forum, it's no longer gambling but the ponzi forum. I don't have a problem with idiots throwing money away - I do have a problem when they are flooding the board and making it hard to find actual gambling sites and news.
TheEmperor

Activity: 140
Merit: 100

View Profile
March 11, 2014, 11:20:16 AM

This is BS and you know it. Weather it's an actual ponzi or, as another one of you ponzi lovers put it, a 'skilled gambling game', so fucking what. The fact of the matter is the whole forum is spammed up with the word PONZI. Great advertisement for new members looking to get into Bitcoin. Your just fuelling the media's detrimental portrayal of Bitcoin and the community.

May as well just change the name to 'Last person in loses all their money with additional probability of getting scammed, game'.

1. Buy a sword.
2. Name it Kindness.
3. Kill people with Kindness.
spixel

View Profile
March 11, 2014, 11:25:04 AM

Solution =

"20x threads of

See the conflict?

Clearly you do not understand the irony of his post. This is exactly what is happening with the gambling forum, it's no longer gambling but the ponzi forum. I don't have a problem with idiots throwing money away - I do have a problem when they are flooding the board and making it hard to find actual gambling sites and news.

I looked on the 1st page of the gambling forum and I see 7 ponzi threads out of about 35 topics. And 2 threads of people complaining about ponzis.

Nobody is forcing you to use them, all the other threads are still there, and there's plenty of them. I guarantee you the ratio of those who dont mind the ponzi threads far outweights the 5 or 6 people who don't like them.

Flooding the forum with threads complaining about something you don't like is not a good idea though.
Light

Circa 2010

View Profile
March 11, 2014, 11:27:18 AM

This is BS and you know it. Weather it's an actual ponzi or, as another one of you ponzi lovers put it, a 'skilled gambling game', so fucking what. The fact of the matter is the whole forum is spammed up with the word PONZI. Great advertisement for new members looking to get into Bitcoin. Your just fuelling the media's detrimental portrayal of Bitcoin and the community.

May as well just change the name to 'Last person in loses all their money with additional probability of getting scammed, game'.

Of course it's just complete crap. That guy is a ponzi operator - what else did you expect a guy who is greedily greasing his pockets with schemes that are generally considered to be at least unethical if not illegal depending on what country your in to be saying.
Light

Circa 2010

View Profile
March 11, 2014, 11:34:46 AM

I looked on the 1st page of the gambling forum and I see 7 ponzi threads out of about 35 topics. And 2 threads of people complaining about ponzis.

Nobody is forcing you to use them, all the other threads are still there, and there's plenty of them. I guarantee you the ratio of those who dont mind the ponzi threads far outweights the 5 or 6 people who don't like them.

Flooding the forum with threads complaining about something you don't like is not a good idea though.

I'm going to refute your argument point by point.

1. It is irrelevant how many ponzi posts there are if they shouldn't be here. Having one piece of spam still deserves to be deleted just as a hundred posts of spam do. However, it is the extent of this ponzi spamming that has exacerbated the problem.

2. Doesn't mean they belong in this sub. Stick them in their own sub for all I care, just not in the actual gambling sub. If your willing to guarantee, put me up for a bet as to whether I can or cannot find 6 people who do not believe ponzis should be here.

3. Don't associate my dismissal of ponzis being in this sub, with the proposed actions of others. Let them speak for themselves, but I am not representative of them.
spixel

View Profile
March 11, 2014, 11:43:26 AM

I'm going to refute your argument point by point.

1. It is irrelevant how many ponzi posts there are if they shouldn't be here. Having one piece of spam still deserves to be deleted just as a hundred posts of spam do. However, it is the extent of this ponzi spamming that has exacerbated the problem.

2. Doesn't mean they belong in this sub. Stick them in their own sub for all I care, just not in the actual gambling sub. If your willing to guarantee, put me up for a bet as to whether I can or cannot find 6 people who do not believe ponzis should be here.

3. Don't associate my dismissal of ponzis being in this sub, with the proposed actions of others. Let them speak for themselves, but I am not representative of them.

1. You said this which is what prompted me to say how many ponzi threads are on the 1st page -  "I don't have a problem with idiots throwing money away - I do have a problem when they are flooding the board and making it hard to find actual gambling sites and news."

2. It's just your opinion they are not gambling. In my opinion (and many others) it is gambling and clearly the moderators of the gambling forum agree.

3. Okay Smiley I don't see you complaining about this thread though? Why is it in the gambling forum when its nothing but a complaint, taking up space where a legit gambling thread could be.
Light

Circa 2010

View Profile
March 11, 2014, 11:52:39 AM

1. Please learn to read.
However, it is the extent of this ponzi spamming that has exacerbated the problem.

2. Moot point. Truth is relative can be used for any argument you like. Does not prevent me from voicing my opinion. If you would be so kind as to provide an actual quote where the mods actually state that they think ponzi's belong in this forum. Inaction is not indicative of anything - for all you know they could be considering what options they have. Hence, once again moot point.

3. I'm more than happy for this thread to be moved, it's simply a place for me to express my views. I didn't create the topic so don't ask me why it's in the gambling forum.
BadBear
v2.0
Legendary

Activity: 1652
Merit: 1127

View Profile WWW
March 11, 2014, 12:00:51 PM

I don't really have much to say about the matter at hand, but for your idea specifically, spamming isn't a very appropriate reaction, you'll just get banned for it.

And yes, I've banned several of those operators for spamming as well, mostly the ones that continuously bump their threads or advertise in other threads. I added the bumping rules to the marketplace guidelines thread here (https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=3629.msg5541656#msg5541656).

1Kz25jm6pjNTaz8bFezEYUeBYfEtpjuKRG | PGP: B5797C4F

Tired of annoying signature ads? Ad block for signatures
FUR11

View Profile
March 11, 2014, 09:06:11 PM

I don't really have much to say about the matter at hand, but for your idea specifically, spamming isn't a very appropriate reaction, you'll just get banned for it.

And yes, I've banned several of those operators for spamming as well, mostly the ones that continuously bump their threads or advertise in other threads. I added the bumping rules to the marketplace guidelines thread here (https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=3629.msg5541656#msg5541656).

That's not what we're saying, though.  Ponzi's aren't gambling.  They shouldn't be allowed in the gambling section.  Because they aren't gambling. 

A perfect example is this thread.  This is a thread ABOUT the gambling forum.  It was removed from the gambling forum in ~ an hour.  I just checked and in the gambling forum, out of the top 17 posts 12 of them are pyramid schemes, poinzi schemes, or discussing pyramid/ponzi schemes.  How is this thread (which was moved quickly) different from those threads?  If this thread (about the gambling forum) was removed, how in the world could those threads (which are not related to gambling) be permitted to stay?

BadBear
v2.0
Legendary

View Profile WWW
March 11, 2014, 09:41:15 PM

I wasn't talking about that, I was just warning that spamming isn't a good way to bring up problems.

I've stayed out of these discussions until now because I hadn't really decided about it, but as far as I can tell they aren't even really ponzis, people just get mad when they see the word ponzi and dismiss it out of hand. It's just a game like any other. I don't remember people getting this mad about those bitgem or hot potato type games which are exactly the same thing. They also died off pretty fast, much like these will soon enough.

As for posts about gambling services (assuming I believe the "ponzis" to be gambling services) or sites, would you guys rather they all be moved to service discussion? To be honest IDGAF, but I'm not going to apply rules to one specific type of thread/service/game whatever that I don't apply to all. If threads talking about ponzis need to be moved to service discussion, then so does every thread talking about x gambling site that isn't started by the operator.  

If those games are to be moved, what's the criteria that separates them? Ideally it would be more general than just "ponzis go here", cause a board for less than a dozen threads is pretty worthless.

farlack
Legendary

Activity: 1311
Merit: 1000

View Profile
March 11, 2014, 09:45:10 PM

I wasn't talking about that, I was just warning that spamming isn't a good way to bring up problems.

I've stayed out of these discussions until now because I hadn't really decided about it, but as far as I can tell they aren't even really ponzis, people just get mad when they see the word ponzi and dismiss it out of hand. It's just a game like any other. I don't remember people getting this mad about those bitgem or hot potato type games which are exactly the same thing. They also died off pretty fast, much like these will soon enough.

As for posts about gambling services (assuming I believe the "ponzis" to be gambling services) or sites, would you guys rather they all be moved to service discussion? To be honest IDGAF, but I'm not going to apply rules to one specific type of thread/service/game whatever that I don't apply to all. If threads talking about ponzis need to be moved to service discussion, then so does every thread talking about x gambling site that isn't started by the operator.  

If those games are to be moved, what's the criteria that separates them? Ideally it would be more general than just "ponzis go here", cause a board for less than a dozen threads is pretty worthless.

The thing about ponzis are someone always loses. They're not fair games. As you said they 'died off' pretty fast, the last people to play will 100% lose.
BadBear
v2.0
Legendary

View Profile WWW
March 11, 2014, 09:49:30 PM

The thing about ponzis are someone always loses. They're not fair games. As you said they 'died off' pretty fast, the last people to play will 100% lose.

But they know that risk up front, if they want to take that risk who the fuck am I to tell them differently? Besides, doesn't somebody always lose? There's always a loser (usually multiple) in poker, should we stop those as well?

Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: