Bitcoin Forum
May 10, 2024, 06:10:47 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: ARK staking  (Read 410 times)
Poink (OP)

Activity: 350
Merit: 122

View Profile
March 01, 2018, 02:41:55 PM

Interesting, I did not know there was a new form of staking that did not require you to open you wallet (and leave your computer on). I had concluded my proof of stake experiments in 2017, with some profits and some losses, and overall a computer that was probably too old to run more than 5 wallets at a time. I felt it was not for me after all. ARK does seem like a good coin, in the sense of the positivity surrounding it. I am now a bit curious about this DPOS though.

I love DPOS...it is almost a hybrid of POS and POW.  The delegates do the POW portion w/o the POW miner power that seem to be abused nowadays (like in case of BTC).  Regular investors like you and me have a say by our choice of delegate.  In a way, we can vote out anyone if they are not acting to the communities interest.

The only POS coin I staked is NEO which works almost like DPOS in a sense that you do neither have to have an open wallet nor a running computer to stake.

My son do POW and I may set up a mining rig also in the future but for now, I am concentrating on coins/tokens.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
If you want to be a moderator, report many posts with accuracy. You will be noticed.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Poink (OP)

View Profile
March 01, 2018, 02:53:04 PM

how many coins do you need to be able to stake? to become a delegate? dont you need quite a high number?

I think there is no minimum to stake.

You can register as a delegate with as little as 25 coins...but you have to be in control of 1,343,557 coins (right now-this changes) to actually make money (forge).  This includes your actual coins and those held by your voters.

To be a forging delegate you have to be in control of the top 51 highest coin count.

Read this...  https://ark-guide.readme.io/docs/what-are-delegates
Febo
Legendary

Activity: 2730
Merit: 1288

View Profile
March 01, 2018, 05:43:16 PM

how many coins do you need to be able to stake? to become a delegate? dont you need quite a high number?

You can register as a delegate with as little as 25 coins...but you have to be in control of 1,343,557 coins (right now-this changes) to actually make money (forge).  This includes your actual coins and those held by your voters.

To be a forging delegate you have to be in control of the top 51 highest coin count.

Read this...  https://ark-guide.readme.io/docs/what-are-delegates

There is no minimum but there is some minimum number that it gets profitable. You pay 1 ARK for voting. so if you have only 1 ARK and you want to stake it, you will have nothing left to stake after you pay 1 ARK.  If you get 10% a year that means that you will get that 1 ARK back in one year so I would say that if you have less then 10 ARK you should not waste your time. If you have more then 100 you should.
Poink (OP)

View Profile
March 01, 2018, 05:46:20 PM
Last edit: March 01, 2018, 05:59:23 PM by Poink

Read this...  https://ark-guide.readme.io/docs/what-are-delegates

There is no minimum but there is some minimum number that it gets profitable. You pay 1 ARK for voting. so if you have only 1 ARK and you want to stake it, you will have nothing left to stake after you pay 1 ARK.  If you get 10% a year that means that you will get that 1 ARK back in one year so I would say that if you have less then 10 ARK you should not waste your time. If you have more then 100 you should.

It really depends on your situation and who you choose.
 As I kept repeating, read the delegate proposal and use the calculators.

Some delegate refund/return the vote fee.  Also I think the voting fee is now reduced to 0.02 ARK.
Poink (OP)

View Profile
March 01, 2018, 06:24:57 PM

https://github.com/ArkEcosystem/AIPs/blob/master/AIPS/aip-11.md#fees-calculation

Fees calculation

A new process will be used where the fee is related to:

Type of the transaction
    Size of the serialised transaction

The calculation formula is Fee = (T+S) * C

T: minimum offset byte depending on transaction type, defined by the network (byte)
    S: size of the serialised transaction (byte)
    C: constant (Ark/byte) defined by the delegate including the transaction in his forged block

For instance, for transfer we could have T = 0 byte, C = 0.0001 Ark/byte. For a classic transfer transaction with empty VendorField S = 80 bytes, hence the fee is 0.008 Ark.

For a vote we could have T = 100 bytes, C=0.0001 Ark/byte, S = 82 bytes, fee = 0.0182 Ark

T is here to account for extra processing power to process special transaction whose transfer value is null, and thus reducing economic interest to spam the network.
iminethereforeiam

Activity: 110
Merit: 10

View Profile
March 01, 2018, 06:31:30 PM

Just moved my ARKs off Bittrex into local wallet and started staking last week. Bought those last summer and was too lazy to look into the staking process till now.
Poink (OP)

View Profile
March 01, 2018, 06:44:26 PM

A very timely thread - I've been thinking of voting for a delegate but I hold a measly number of ARK and so always held off.

So if I understand this correctly:

Anyone who holds ARK can vote for a delegate, but we should ideally vote for someone among the top 51 delegates.
The top 51 delegates are the ones who have the right to forge new blocks (ie, get more ARK that is then shared with those who voted from them)

ROI depends on how many ARK we hold in our wallets, and not on how much we paid to vote for the delegate

My question is: If my wallet contains 200 ARK when I first vote for a delegate, but then I choose to sell 100 ARK down the line: do I lose my place with the delegate, and have to re-vote? Or will my return be automatically recalculated to reflect the new balance?

Sorry, I missed this.

If you sell some of your coins (or if you buy more), your payout will just be adjusted/calculated (down or up) based on the new balance.  I think some calculate this daily though pay-out may be weekly. 

No need to re-vote unless you want to change your delegate.
Poink (OP)

View Profile
March 01, 2018, 06:50:56 PM

Is dpos the only thing they got going or are is there more planned. Is there a roadmap?

https://ark.io/roadmap
neatworld

Activity: 293
Merit: 12

View Profile
March 01, 2018, 09:00:48 PM

A very timely thread - I've been thinking of voting for a delegate but I hold a measly number of ARK and so always held off.

So if I understand this correctly:

Anyone who holds ARK can vote for a delegate, but we should ideally vote for someone among the top 51 delegates.
The top 51 delegates are the ones who have the right to forge new blocks (ie, get more ARK that is then shared with those who voted from them)

ROI depends on how many ARK we hold in our wallets, and not on how much we paid to vote for the delegate

My question is: If my wallet contains 200 ARK when I first vote for a delegate, but then I choose to sell 100 ARK down the line: do I lose my place with the delegate, and have to re-vote? Or will my return be automatically recalculated to reflect the new balance?

Sorry, I missed this.

If you sell some of your coins (or if you buy more), your payout will just be adjusted/calculated (down or up) based on the new balance.  I think some calculate this daily though pay-out may be weekly. 

No need to re-vote unless you want to change your delegate.

Thanks, Poink, for your answer. I'm happy to be holding some ARK at least and am excited to see where it goes this year!
jwrent34

Activity: 86
Merit: 10

View Profile
March 01, 2018, 09:24:55 PM

It was the case that 1ARK for voting for a delegate was a bit expensive but now the price dropped its not so much  Tongue

★ ★ ★ ★ ★   DeepOnion  ✔  Anonymous and Untraceable Cryptocurrency  ✔  TOR INTEGRATED & SECURED   ★ ★ ★ ★ ★
› › › › ›  JOIN THE NEW AIRDROP ✈️    ★    ✔ VERIFIED WITH DEEPVAULT  ‹ ‹ ‹ ‹ ‹
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬   ANN  WHITEPAPER  FACEBOOK  TWITTER  YOUTUBE  FORUM   ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
Poink (OP)

View Profile
March 01, 2018, 09:33:34 PM

Isn't ARK a fork of Lisk? ARK and RISE all do delegate staking is this correct? Why would you want to hold or stake ARK, and not buy LISK? I see bigger potential and price break out with LISK than ARK.

Yes it is a fork but they have different goals now and I happened to like ARK's project more.

LISK is a good coin and I think both are good to invest on, I just see better return with ARK...I could be mistaken.

Also, because LISK core code cannot support ARK team's vision, they are replacing it and rewrote everything from the ground up.  ARK ACES team is finished and will be releasing the new Core V2 to DevNet soon for public testing.
Poink (OP)

View Profile
March 01, 2018, 09:35:02 PM

It was the case that 1ARK for voting for a delegate was a bit expensive but now the price dropped its not so much  Tongue

Read post #24 and #25 above.

Apparently, voting fee is now just 0.02 ARK. Wink
Febo
Legendary

View Profile
March 03, 2018, 08:00:07 PM

Some delegate refund/return the vote fee. Also I think the voting fee is now reduced to 0.02 ARK.

That's a huge change. It was 1 ARK only few months ago.  0.02 ARK voting fee means that it is worth you to stake even 1 ARK.
Turocik

Activity: 34
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 11, 2019, 07:31:17 PM

does this still work? tried to vote now and all i am getting "Couldn't be registered" error
Febo
Legendary

View Profile
February 12, 2019, 10:52:19 PM

does this still work? tried to vote now and all i am getting "Couldn't be registered" error

I believe it should. Do you have the latest wallet?   I did not voted again but I instead new wallet and saw my old vote is still staking so did not bother to change anything.   If you have most latest wallet and still have problems for sure ask in ARK ANN.
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: