Bitcoin Forum
May 03, 2024, 09:10:02 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: question: searching for long lasting antminers ?  (Read 191 times)
btc-algeria (OP)

Activity: 20
Merit: 8

View Profile
April 22, 2020, 07:47:10 PM
Last edit: April 22, 2020, 11:55:52 PM by btc-algeria

Hello everyone

as the subject speak for itself, I am searching for good long lasting antminers, I am new to the field of minning and i would like to know which of these brands (Bitmain /MicroBT / Avalon) have the best antminers quality-wise, that has good parts in it and lasts the longest possible , and i would like to add that electricity is not a problem as i have very low cost electricity so it doesn't matter if it very electricity consuming .
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
NotFuzzyWarm
Legendary

Activity: 3626
Merit: 2524

Evil beware: We have waffles!

View Profile
April 22, 2020, 08:37:42 PM
Last edit: April 22, 2020, 08:51:05 PM by NotFuzzyWarm

1st of all,  "antminer" refers ONLY to Bitmain's trademark name for their miners. It is not a generic term for all miners.

By far the most reliable miners are the Avalon's from Canaan and worst are Bitmain's Antminers.
I have had several dozen Avalon's running since 2016 with ZERO hard failures. The only faults were a dead fan on 2 of my oldest 721's.

The Whatsminers from microbt are #2. I have 5 of their M10's and all are solid as a rock. Some issues have been reported here but still very few failures.

Contrast that to an over 15% failure rate from dead hash boards and dead control boards on the 25 Bitmain s9's I had. Folks in the forum are saying that BM's newer S17 series are even worse... For one example, ref this post about BM's S17's
From my perspective, you are correct. Bitmain's overall 7nm units are far from robust or reliable. I have had the best luck with Pro's but they still exhibit a 15% attrition rate on my racks. 15 out of 100 have lost boards, burnt PSU's. Out of 200 S17's we are experiencing 20-25% attrition with many lost boards and plenty of burnt PSU's.

- For bitcoin to succeed the community must police itself -    My info useful? Donations welcome! 1FuzzyWc2J8TMqeUQZ8yjE43Rwr7K3cxs9
 -Sole remaining active developer of cgminer, Kano's repo is here
-Support Sidehacks miner development. Donations to:   1BURGERAXHH6Yi6LRybRJK7ybEm5m5HwTr
mikeywith
Legendary

Activity: 2226
Merit: 6367

be constructive or S.T.F.U

View Profile
April 22, 2020, 11:58:49 PM
Last edit: April 22, 2020, 11:59:37 PM by frodocooper

He should refer to them as ASIC miners instead, it's normal for the first/most famous brand name to be used as a generic term, which is pretty sad as far as mining is concerned.

OP, I second NotFuzzyWarm's input but since I got your PM regarding this topic, I don't mind receiving messages asking me to participate in certain topics, everyone, feel free to notify me via PM and ask my inputs, however, some other members might not like it and your PMs might be reported and that will get you banned, so be careful about whom you PM.

Back to the topic and since you asked for my input, I don't have enough experience with MicroBt, and I have no experience with Avalon but I can tell you that Bitmain aka Antminer quality is terrible, if you have the chance to buy any other brand, go ahead and don't bother with Bitmain, I do have to be fair and point out that Antminer S9 was pretty much robust compared to the new versions, but what I learned from other people on forum and off-forum is that Bitmain, in general, has the lowest quality and the shortest lifespan.

The one thing that Bitmain does best is the delivery, you get the gears in time as promised like 99% of the time, with MicorBt some people reported delays of a few months, but that was last year IIRC and things are good now I guess, wait for others to respond in regards to this point, anyway based on your question you do seem like you want a gear that will last for long and you don't seem to worry about efficiency, this means you will most likely be looking for old cheap gears, in that case, delivery doesn't matter since you are most likely going to be buying a gear that is ready to ship.

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████
███████████▄
████████████▄
██▄█████▀█████▄
▄█████████▀█████▀
███████████▀██▀
████▀█████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
c.h.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
▄██████▄▄▄
█████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███░░█████████
███▌▐█████████
█████████████
███████████▀
██████████▀
████████▀
▀██▀▀
btc-algeria (OP)

View Profile
April 23, 2020, 04:15:55 PM
Last edit: April 24, 2020, 12:35:17 AM by frodocooper

I didn't know for sure that they were called minners an begginer's mistake i guess thats why i've asked your opignion i know you guys are more experienced in this domain .

I have a french supplier that pointed to me Whatsminers M21S – Bitcoin 56Th/s and  Canaan Avalon 1066 and Canaan Avalon 1066 PRO  wich were at a price of 1060$ and 990$ and 840$ i find that there price was resonable except they were quality of course, so i would like your guys opignion on those on particular cause im really intersted in them.

thanks for your quick response and your advices .
NotFuzzyWarm
Legendary

Activity: 3626
Merit: 2524

Evil beware: We have waffles!

View Profile
April 23, 2020, 05:33:08 PM
Last edit: April 23, 2020, 07:44:47 PM by NotFuzzyWarm

re: Antminer name, no problem. It is very common for various posts, articles, and videos to mistakenly do the same thing because the authors just don't care about being correct. In my book that raises questions about what else they may get wrong Roll Eyes The other even more common error is calling every crypto coin "Bitcoin". Only BTC is Bitcoin. All others are generally called altcoins and in this part of the Forum, crapcoins...

Those are good prices you were quoted, just be sure that it is a reputable dealer you are working with. Personally I don't have any of the M21 series but I do talk with several miners in the pool I use who do have them - overall they are quite happy with them.

Given that both MicroBT (Whatsminers) and Canaan have very good products to me it would boil down to what happens if something breaks: Generally the Whatsminer's need to be sent to China for repairs. Canaan's Avalon miners on the other hand are modular with components that are easily replaceable by the user. After sales support from Canaan is excellent meaning once you work with them to diagnose a problem they will quickly send you the replacement part for you to install.

- For bitcoin to succeed the community must police itself -    My info useful? Donations welcome! 1FuzzyWc2J8TMqeUQZ8yjE43Rwr7K3cxs9
 -Sole remaining active developer of cgminer, Kano's repo is here
-Support Sidehacks miner development. Donations to:   1BURGERAXHH6Yi6LRybRJK7ybEm5m5HwTr
mikeywith
Legendary

Activity: 2226
Merit: 6367

be constructive or S.T.F.U

View Profile
April 23, 2020, 10:18:32 PM

I have a french supplier that pointed to me Whatsminers M21S – Bitcoin 56Th/s and  Canaan Avalon 1066 and Canaan Avalon 1066 PRO  wich were at a price of 1060$ and 990$ and 840$ i find that there price was resonableز

Those are good prices you were quoted

These prices are not reasonable by to me at least, below are the current prices in the Chinese market

M21s 56th > $650
Avalon 1066 > $670
1066 PRO > no clue.

** You could probably get them a little bit cheaper.

Taking M21s for an example, 1060 - 650 = $410, that's a lot for shipping and some profit, of course, I am totally unaware of the taxes and import fees where you live, so you got to do the maths for that.

I own M21s, it's a very reliable gear.

Edit: less than 19 days to the halving, I expect gear prices to fall by at least 30%, this is not financial advice, but I personally would not buy any gear now, next month-end is a good time to buy IMO.

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████
███████████▄
████████████▄
██▄█████▀█████▄
▄█████████▀█████▀
███████████▀██▀
████▀█████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
c.h.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
▄██████▄▄▄
█████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███░░█████████
███▌▐█████████
█████████████
███████████▀
██████████▀
████████▀
▀██▀▀
btc-algeria (OP)

View Profile
April 24, 2020, 04:43:22 PM
Last edit: April 25, 2020, 01:54:59 AM by frodocooper

[...]

thank you for the advice bro i've taking it in consideration , indeed it would be easier to repair it yourself than send it back to china.

[...]

I really was clueless bro thank you for the tip i've just quick searched on alibaba and i was astonished with the prices Whatminers M21S at 600$ and 700$ , because the supplier i've found was taking 1060 dollars for the unit only and about 100$ for shipping plus 20% VAT when you compare it its true that it costs a lot more ,but is it really reliable i would really like to have a reliable source if you could give me one , and thank you for the advice its true we should wait and see how it goes with the halving.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: