Bitcoin Forum
May 08, 2024, 01:28:06 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Attention! KYC data sold on the Dark Web! Proofs!  (Read 533 times)
This is a self-moderated topic. If you do not want to be moderated by the person who started this topic, create a new topic.
Polizei (OP)

Activity: 123
Merit: 3

View Profile
February 14, 2019, 05:55:48 AM
Last edit: February 15, 2019, 08:33:06 AM by Polizei

Hacked Customer Data From World Leading Cryptocurrency Exchanges For Sale On The Dark Web

On a darknet market called “Dread,” a vendor going by “ExploitDOT” is attempting to sell user data from the know-your-customer (KYC) data top cryptocurrency exchanges ask for, required by most jurisdictions.

According to data shared with CCN, the hacker has an ad that has been online since July 2018, in which he claims to have hacked documents used in KYC checks – including identity cards and drivers’ licenses – from users of top exchanges like Bittrex, Poloniex, Bitfinex, and Binance.

The data is seemingly for sale for $10 per 100 documents or more, with discounts applying for those who buy in bulk, all the way up to $1 per 1,000 for an order of over 25,000. CCN was able to independently verify the ad on the dark web, which is still online. No links to it will be added to avoid promoting the service.

https://www.ccn.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/01/exchanges-kyc-sale.png

A cybersecurity expert who contacted CCN and chose to remain anonymous has detailed that after contacting the individual posing as a buyer, he was able to get three free samples out of him as proof that the leaked documents are legitimate.

As proof, the cybersecurity expert got pictures of individuals holding up a piece of paper with the word “Binance” and the date the picture was taken at. In these pictures, their faces are visible, as well as their identity cards or drivers’ licenses.

CCN had access to these images, which appear to be legitimate. Although the sample was small, the vendor selling the hacked data claims it has documents from people in every country cryptocurrency exchanges serve.

An exchange the security expert allegedly had with Binance via email, which couldn’t be independently verified, seems to show the latter found “some inconsistencies” between the data it was presented with and the “samples provided” – presumably the KYC images.

The exchange’s spokesperson allegedly further noted they have their “theories in regards to how this information may have been obtained,” detailing that no signs of unauthorized access to their system had been found. CCN has reached out to Binance to clarify the situation but hasn’t heard back at the present time.

Binance is notably an exchange praised in the cryptocurrency community for its security practices. Recently, It foiled the plans of the Cryptopia hacker by freezing the stolen cryptocurrency, and last year thwarted a large-scale attack that saw Syscoin (SYS) surge on its platform.

Whether the leaked documents are connected to the recent ‘Collection #1’ 87 GB database leak, which includes over 700 million email addresses and 21 million passwords, isn’t clear.

Original article is here: https://www.ccn.com/hacked-customer-data-from-world-leading-cryptocurrency-exchanges-for-sale-on-the-dark-web
The grue lurks in the darkest places of the earth. Its favorite diet is adventurers, but its insatiable appetite is tempered by its fear of light. No grue has ever been seen by the light of day, and few have survived its fearsome jaws to tell the tale.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Anti-Bitcoin

Activity: 112
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 14, 2019, 05:58:40 AM

KYC - is an evil
Polizei (OP)

Activity: 123
Merit: 3

View Profile
February 14, 2019, 06:15:46 AM

Most of popular exchanges - is a scam. All personal data is leaking
ERC-223

Activity: 140

View Profile
February 14, 2019, 09:49:27 AM

Do not send a personal data to scammers (Binance, Huobi, etc)
ERC-223

Activity: 140

View Profile
February 15, 2019, 11:08:13 AM

Use an exchanges without KYC
Like what, for example?
icalical

Activity: 1372
Merit: 268

Graphic & Motion Designer

View Profile WWW
February 18, 2019, 12:50:46 PM

This is why many people move to decentralize exchange, like IDEX, Etherdelta and so on. However, those exchanges are far behind the Centralized exchanges in term of features, UI/UX, and stability. There also some centralized exchanges that is not require KYC, but most of them don't provide any customer support, so it is more risky to put your money there.
I think the best option is register in a local exchange, that limit their user to certain nationality, so it is not too hard for handling user and the KYC data, so it is not easy to get hacked. 

gerobakcrypto

Activity: 89

View Profile
February 23, 2019, 03:12:06 AM

10$ for 100 Document is too cheap for any exchange. If that document from KYC any exchange/market. Why they sell with cheap price? Why that exchange not steal more assets from their member? Why must their document?
examplens
Legendary

Activity: 3276
Merit: 3169

Crypto Swap Exchange

View Profile WWW
February 25, 2019, 07:05:04 PM

KYC it is not good at all in any exchange. Also, the meaning of anonymity is lost with KYC. I think all exchanges need to use external KYC service, then will reduce the risk of a hacker attack and they can bring only to funds safe. Everybody to do their part of the job.

This is why many people move to decentralize exchange, like IDEX, Etherdelta and so on. However, those exchanges are far behind the Centralized exchanges in term of features, UI/UX, and stability. There also some centralized exchanges that is not require KYC, but most of them don't provide any customer support, so it is more risky to put your money there.
I think the best option is register in a local exchange, that limit their user to certain nationality, so it is not too hard for handling user and the KYC data, so it is not easy to get hacked. 

Etherdelta, Forkdelta etc ... it was worst exchanges ever. there are many complaints about them, especially on the security issue.

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████
███████████▄
████████████▄
██▄█████▀█████▄
▄█████████▀█████▀
███████████▀██▀
████▀█████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
c.h.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
▄██████▄▄▄
█████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███░░█████████
███▌▐█████████
█████████████
███████████▀
██████████▀
████████▀
▀██▀▀
korner

Activity: 98
Merit: 101

View Profile
April 06, 2019, 11:11:45 PM

Be aware! KYC is always leaks
Crypto Girl

Activity: 980
Merit: 294

View Profile
April 09, 2019, 09:10:39 AM

10$ for 100 Document is too cheap for any exchange. If that document from KYC any exchange/market. Why they sell with cheap price? Why that exchange not steal more assets from their member? Why must their document?
That wasn't cheap if you sell all over 700 million email addresses, technically that will be $70 million, is that what you call cheap?
Yet, binance won't take any action to this hence their only serious concern is that no funds were stolen. That's it.

Whether the leaked documents are connected to the recent ‘Collection #1’ 87 GB database leak, which includes over 700 million email addresses and 21 million passwords, isn’t clear.

I use this provider to trade Cryptos : Bitcoin Revolution
milewilda
Legendary

Activity: 3108
Merit: 1127

View Profile
April 09, 2019, 12:27:44 PM

That wasn't cheap if you sell all over 700 million email addresses, technically that will be $70 million, is that what you call cheap?
Yet, binance won't take any action to this hence their only serious concern is that no funds were stolen. That's it.

$1 for 1000 and it do have discounts for bulk orders but well we cant really make fix calculations but sure thing that these info's been leaked out and been sell off on dark web which isnt
really a surprising thing thats why even upto these days im still hesitant to leak or give out documentations due to this issue.Info can be used into other illegal means
which will put out your name into problem.

Netnox
Legendary

Activity: 2044
Merit: 1008

View Profile
April 10, 2019, 06:10:39 AM

Horrible... In the past I went through KYC for at least a dozen crypto exchanges and now I am afraid of someone stealing my identity for criminal purposes. I am never again going through this process, but it looks like the damage has been done already.
sunsilk

Activity: 2912
Merit: 620

View Profile
April 10, 2019, 11:24:30 PM

Horrible... In the past I went through KYC for at least a dozen crypto exchanges and now I am afraid of someone stealing my identity for criminal purposes. I am never again going through this process, but it looks like the damage has been done already.
Mostly everybody complied to KYC especially those local exchanges that forced their customers to avail a levelled up service by passing on our IDs.

This is why many doesnt like sending KYCs anymore although there were gimmicks that you might get a free token after passing on the requirement. I'm not sending mine again as well.

leowonderful
Legendary

Activity: 1624
Merit: 1129

Bitcoin FTW!

View Profile
April 11, 2019, 12:07:24 AM

I typically don't register, use or submit KYC documents for smaller exchanges as I mostly trade on bigger exchanges like Bitstamp, hope these leaked docs aren't from the ones I signed up for. This is also why you shouldn't ever submit KYC for giveaways, even from sites like Blockchain and their Stellar giveaway right now. The potential damages that can be caused from your documents being leaked can be much more than what you gain from submitting documents in the first place.

DEXes currently have very low volume compared to centralized exchanges and many flaws compared to centralized exchanges, but I'm keeping an eye on most of 'em for the future as I'm sure things will improve in the future. I've used several like Forkdelta and the Waves DEX in the past and things weren't the greatest, especially the volume for the pairs offered.
Crypto Girl

Activity: 980
Merit: 294

View Profile
April 11, 2019, 06:32:24 AM

Mostly everybody complied to KYC especially those local exchanges that forced their customers to avail a levelled up service by passing on our IDs.
That is sort of black mail and we leave no choice than to comply to it or else we can't use their platform and the worst they will hold our funds.

I'm not sending mine again as well.
Let just hope that our documents aren't there. lol!

I use this provider to trade Cryptos : Bitcoin Revolution
sunsilk

Activity: 2912
Merit: 620

View Profile
April 11, 2019, 08:07:21 PM

That is sort of black mail and we leave no choice than to comply to it or else we can't use their platform and the worst they will hold our funds.
If we want to cash out and use their service, because of the convenience they offer, we have to comply but it's our choice if you will look for another exchange that offers same convenience or stay to that exchange that you used to use before. I experienced it before when they have held my funds and they want to me comply, if that is not for my balance, I wouldn't comply.

I'm not sending mine again as well.
Let just hope that our documents aren't there. lol!
Yeah, I hope so too and that would be the last time to comply with KYC.

stadus
Legendary

Activity: 3094
Merit: 1292

Hhampuz for Campaign management

View Profile
May 24, 2019, 05:29:26 AM

These data are from crypto exchanges and we trust them with our information.
I think it's riskier in the ICO market as there are projects who requires KYC to participate in the token sale and the bounty campaign.

Let's be careful, our information at risk, could also mean our life are at risk then.

███████████████████████████
███████▄████████████▄██████
████████▄████████▄████████
███▀█████▀▄███▄▀█████▀███
█████▀█▀▄██▀▀▀██▄▀█▀█████
███████▄███████████▄███████
███████▀███████████▀███████
████▄██▄▀██▄▄▄██▀▄██▄████
████▄████▄▀███▀▄████▄████
██▄███▀▀█▀██████▀█▀███▄███
██▀█▀████████████████▀█▀███
.Duelbits.
▄▄█▄▄░░▄▄█▄▄░░▄▄█▄▄
███░░░░███░░░░███
░░░░░░░░░░░░░
░░░░░░░░░░░░
▀██████████
░░░░░███░░░░
░░░░░███▄█░░░
░░██▌░░███░▀░░██▌
█░██░░███░░░██
█▀▀▀█▌░███░░█▀▀▀█▌
▄█▄░░░██▄███▄█▄░░▄██▄
▄███▄
░░░░▀██▄▀
REGIONAL
SPONSOR
███▀██▀███▀█▀▀▀▀██▀▀▀██
██░▀░██░█░███░▀██░███▄█
█▄███▄██▄████▄████▄▄▄██
██▀ ▀███▀▀░▀██▀▀▀██████
███▄███░▄▀██████▀█▀█▀▀█
████▀▀██▄▀█████▄█▀███▄█
███▄▄▄████████▄█▄▀█████
███▀▀▀████████████▄▀███
███▄░▄█▀▀▀██████▀▀▀▄███
███████▄██▄▌████▀▀█████
▀██▄█████▄█▄▄▄██▄████▀
▀▀██████████▄▄███▀▀
▀▀▀▀█▀▀▀▀
EUROPEAN
BETTING
PARTNER
Yoshinoya

Activity: 335

View Profile
May 25, 2019, 08:02:50 AM

be more careful in sending KYC forms, monitoring sites and teams within them.
indeed, many who advocate KYC are new exchanges, and one of the conditions is KYC so that we can make transactions safely. actually I agree with this program, but many do not agree, maybe the reason for the security of information about their personal data.
korner

Activity: 98

View Profile
May 26, 2019, 12:11:38 PM

Binance - SCAM. These scammers steals money
Sorbent

Activity: 28

View Profile
July 08, 2019, 05:46:22 AM

Binance - SCAM. These scammers steals money