Bitcoin Forum
May 05, 2024, 03:25:00 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: 1 2 [All]
  Print  
Author Topic: When will old mining rigs become collectable?  (Read 385 times)
Jet Cash (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 2702
Merit: 2456

https://JetCash.com

View Profile WWW
February 15, 2019, 06:29:58 PM

So many historic items become collectable - coins, computers, cars, stationary engines, and I'm sure you can think of many others. It seems that old ASIC miners and other rigs are being scrapped in large numbers.  This usually happens just before the items start to be collected by nostalgic enthusiasts. I've started to get interested, and I'm sure there are a few other members here who are keeping their old miners as topics of interest.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"Your bitcoin is secured in a way that is physically impossible for others to access, no matter for what reason, no matter how good the excuse, no matter a majority of miners, no matter what." -- Greg Maxwell
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
sheenshane
Legendary

Activity: 2394
Merit: 1215

Cashback 15%

View Profile WWW
February 16, 2019, 05:57:48 PM

Well, mate as of now mining rigs will still be able to use as a part of a PC.
But sooner and later the miners will become something that will remain history. Hash is getting hard to solve and miners are now unprofitable. That is the thing we need to accept and I feel sad for those former miners. Ain't know if how much the percentage in miner has stopped as of now. Speaking of collective items, I currently enjoyed collecting Hello Kitty related stuff. Cheesy
BestSSS

Activity: 434
Merit: 4

View Profile WWW
February 17, 2019, 03:52:31 PM

So many historic items become collectable - coins, computers, cars, stationary engines, and I'm sure you can think of many others. It seems that old ASIC miners and other rigs are being scrapped in large numbers.  This usually happens just before the items start to be collected by nostalgic enthusiasts. I've started to get interested, and I'm sure there are a few other members here who are keeping their old miners as topics of interest.

If Asik miners can not be converted to the work of an ordinary computer, it would be nice to make a Museum of all kinds of mining Asiks and put them in any room or exhibition hall for display with a description of its characteristics and year of manufacture.
I think you could do a whole themed room in the exhibition samples of mining Asimov on their varieties and led tours there in ten or twenty years))

I think it is quite possible if bitcoin in another 10 years will be used in life much more effectively and where there will be museums that will be collected machines for bitcoin mining from the very first. And it would be good to find the first machine which in 2009 was producing the first units!!!
theskillzdatklls

Activity: 1328
Merit: 563

MintDice.com | TG: t.me/MintDice

View Profile WWW
February 18, 2019, 02:44:36 AM

Never
_Miracle

Activity: 906
Merit: 659

Do due diligence

View Profile WWW
February 18, 2019, 05:33:12 AM

I gave one of my undervolted S1s to a friend ---The S1s didn't have cases: I loved how they looked
and one of my usb erupters
P.S. Hello Kitty is one of my favorites
vapourminer
Legendary

Activity: 4326
Merit: 3519

what is this "brake pedal" you speak of?

View Profile
February 28, 2019, 08:11:16 PM

it would be ironic if my butterfly labs FPGA and original jalapino actually did become collector items and could be sold to a collector in the future. they would finally hit their ROI! even if it took 20 or 30 years..
Flying Hellfish
Legendary

Activity: 1764
Merit: 1754

Verified Bernie Bro - Feel The Bern!

View Profile
March 03, 2019, 10:10:36 PM

it would be ironic if my butterfly labs FPGA and original jalapino actually did become collector items and could be sold to a collector in the future. they would finally hit their ROI! even if it took 20 or 30 years..

BFL miners might become collectible faster than a lot of the others as they have a story and notoriety so to speak. A lot of Jalepeno's ended up getting into the wild eventually.  If in the future I was collecting hardware the BFL mini-rig would be something I would want, not many reported to have made it into the wild, people paid thousands of BTC for vapour hardware or the ones that did get delivered were fucking garbage!

The famous BFL foam pitch fork would be so much more appealing to me than their old miners.

So many miners were built and sold and so few people would actually pay anything for them as collectibles that it will likely be a really really long time before old mining hardware is worth much more than it's scrap value!
vapourminer
Legendary

View Profile
March 03, 2019, 10:41:42 PM

The famous BFL foam pitch fork would be so much more appealing to me than their old miners.

yup for sure i would want one of those.

i value my BFL coffee mug more than the FPGA/jally.

would be cool to find an original avalon.
Flying Hellfish
Legendary

View Profile
March 04, 2019, 04:15:44 PM

yup for sure i would want one of those.

i value my BFL coffee mug more than the FPGA/jally.

would be cool to find an original avalon.

Batch one  1st gen avalons are a part of history for sure, I just couldn't imagine displaying it, and personally I like to have my collectibles out on view at home or in my office!  I can't see myself wanting a big aluminium box with a couple fans on my wall or desk etc lol!  I'm sure there will eventually be a collector's market for some items but I don't think it will be a big thing for most collectors.
Ciscopro2000

Activity: 495
Merit: 10

View Profile
March 05, 2019, 09:40:52 AM

These miners would be collectible in 30 years or so.  There will always be a market for them.  Those who remember the beginning of the crypto craze will collect and hold onto them for sentimental reasons.  I don’t think there will be much monetary profit. 
Jet Cash (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
March 05, 2019, 11:59:05 AM

Well I still want to try that old Butterfly Labs one that I picked up. There doen't seem to be much support for it though, and all the references to the old manuals and software don't resolve any more. Maybe the software and the manuals will become more collectable.
vapourminer
Legendary

View Profile
March 05, 2019, 01:37:47 PM

^

afaik the asics all used cgminer by -ck and any docs to run it would be in cgminers readme. pretty sure the latest cgminer still can run them. now im curious and will probably fire the jally up.

if its their fpga i might still have the flasher and bitstreams kicking around.
Flying Hellfish
Legendary

View Profile
March 10, 2019, 03:10:25 AM

^

afaik the asics all used cgminer by -ck and any docs to run it would be in cgminers readme. pretty sure the latest cgminer still can run them. now im curious and will probably fire the jally up.

I don't remember BFL using cgminer, I thought the BFL crew had Luke do the mining software, wasn't it just a branded BFGminer?  I never owned a BFL miner so maybe my brain is playing tricks on me.
_Miracle

Do due diligence

View Profile WWW
March 10, 2019, 04:10:18 AM

Well I still want to try that old Butterfly Labs one that I picked up. There doen't seem to be much support for it though, and all the references to the old manuals and software don't resolve any more. Maybe the software and the manuals will become more collectable.

LOL I've owned quite a few mining rigs...none came with manuals.
I read the forums (mining--hardware---pools) and every now and then would have to ask a stupid question (usually received well)

lightfoot still posts from time to time

Yes a Jalapeno should be collectible!

My twitter page has a couple of my S1's with my favorite pocket knife (Camillus Cuda CY1 Circuit Board Cyber Folder)

@cryptobitchicks
vapourminer
Legendary

View Profile
March 10, 2019, 09:54:54 AM
Merited by Flying Hellfish (5)

I don't remember BFL using cgminer, I thought the BFL crew had Luke do the mining software, wasn't it just a branded BFGminer?  I never owned a BFL miner so maybe my brain is playing tricks on me.

now that you mention it they (BFL ASICS) were supported by both cgminer (-ck) and bfgminer (luke-jr). one is a fork of the other. i always used cgminer though.

there was (maybe still is) quite the war as to who forked who.

cant remember what the FPGA used, but i think that was cgminer too. the only software i remember for thier FPGA was a program to load different bitstreams.. i ran the second to highest speed one but needed to run it with no case and a 120mm blowing on it or it throttled.

now that i have fpgas again (sqrl acorns and bcu1525) i feel the strange urge to get the bfl fpga running again just for the lulz.

MikeMike
Legendary

Activity: 2254
Merit: 1020

★ Ⓚ KORE TEAM Ⓚ ★

View Profile
March 13, 2019, 02:32:52 PM

now that you mention it they (BFL ASICS) were supported by both cgminer (-ck) and bfgminer (luke-jr). one is a fork of the other. i always used cgminer though.

there was (maybe still is) quite the war as to who forked who.

cant remember what the FPGA used, but i think that was cgminer too. the only software i remember for thier FPGA was a program to load different bitstreams.. i ran the second to highest speed one but needed to run it with no case and a 120mm blowing on it or it throttled.

now that i have fpgas again (sqrl acorns and bcu1525) i feel the strange urge to get the bfl fpga running again just for the lulz.

I have a few hundred BFLabs chips.
Can't wait till they are a collectible.
Also have a few of the USB miners in original boxes.

_Miracle

Do due diligence

View Profile WWW
March 13, 2019, 06:45:58 PM

Miner software

Luke Jr BFGMiner

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=28402.0

-ck CGMiner

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=28402.0

wheelz1200
Legendary

Activity: 3612
Merit: 1406

View Profile
March 17, 2019, 05:17:53 PM

Some of the original asics will be collectable.  Might not be for decades but a lot of collectables become that because of nostalgia.  I know some 20-30 years from now I would like to still have mine, just something to reflect back on a cool little conversation piece.  Asics usually get to the point of not even worth selling, would rather keep my old clunkers than sell them for pennies.
Jet Cash (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
March 17, 2019, 05:52:07 PM

I'm a bit miffed because I've decided to experiment with BitBlocks, and I think that needs a scrypt miner. I might try with the small computer that I revived, but I don't think I can change the graphics in that.
wheelz1200
Legendary

Activity: 3612
Merit: 1406

View Profile
March 18, 2019, 04:35:27 PM

I'm a bit miffed because I've decided to experiment with BitBlocks, and I think that needs a scrypt miner. I might try with the small computer that I revived, but I don't think I can change the graphics in that.

I dont know what bitblocks are but scrypt miners are a dime a dozen you can get one with a psu for real cheap right now.
philipma1957
Legendary

Activity: 4116
Merit: 7850

'The right to privacy matters'

View Profile WWW
March 18, 2019, 04:43:30 PM

ebay has L3+ with a psu for under 175

https : // www . ebay .  com / itm /Antminer-L3-with-AW3-Power-Supply-Large-Quanity-Available/113660230216?

https : // www . ebay . com / itm /Bitmain-Antminer-L3-504MH-s-Dual-Voltage-110V-220V-PSU/143148825786?

checked above both are under 175 including shipping

I think I may not be allowed to link them

so I disabled links.

I have no idea who the sellers are
Jet Cash (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
March 18, 2019, 04:49:48 PM

Thanks for the suggestion, but I've just discovered that BitBlocks has disabled PoW, and they only allow PoS. I need to do a bit more reading, and it may be better to run a masternode - it's fairly cheap at the moment. I used the faucet to test my wallet, and to see how fast a transfer was. I'm impressed with that bit, but the faucet is not a way to pick up coins. I made half a dozen claims, and I think it has only given me about a penny.
linenoise

Activity: 304
Merit: 290

View Profile WWW
April 13, 2019, 07:38:14 AM

In the near future when the blockchain achieves skynet level sentience we can hope that someone, somewhere, can pull out enough old miners to save us all.  Grin

Until that happens they probably have more value as scrap. Although the bare board USB miners were at least neat looking.
yeosaga

Activity: 223
Merit: 14

View Profile
April 15, 2019, 06:21:02 PM

I still have several of the cubes I first bought on here back when I was a miner. I especially liked the way Block Erupters fit together.
Pages: 1 2 [All]
  Print  

Jump to: