Bitcoin Forum
May 10, 2024, 03:34:40 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Should PGP keys be made mandatory for high ranks?  (Read 520 times)
Carlton Banks (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 3430
Merit: 3074

View Profile
March 03, 2019, 11:45:38 AM
Last edit: March 03, 2019, 01:09:58 PM by Carlton Banks

This is a bitcoin forum, so it is guaranteed that (at least) every legendary member has a bitcoin wallet and is capable of signing a message with his private key. Security of that digital signature (ECDSA) is no less than security of PGP signatures (RSA or DSA). But the problem is most members don't have any use for PGP so you would be forcing them to use something they don't need.

Sure, but email clients don't have plugins to decrypt messages encrypted using Bitcoin keys. And the software to sign and decrypt messages in a browser via PGP keys exists, and is mature. No such thing exists for Bitcoin, namely because Bitcoin keys aren't intended for the that purpose.

There's no good reason to be sending unencrypted email in 1999, let alone 2019. Especially a forum concerning leading cryptography tools.

P.S. BIP322 exists for signing standard.

Ok, but it's not yet accepted. We at least need to wait for that, then we have to wait for the majority of Bitcoin wallets to roll that standard out. Meanwhile, all PGP clients can already do the job in a standard way, all that's needed is to avoid relying on fingerprints (which is not so hard). And PGP has interfaces with alot of other types of software.

Vires in numeris

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"Bitcoin: the cutting edge of begging technology." -- Giraffe.BTC
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
asche
Legendary

Activity: 1484
Merit: 1489

I forgot more than you will ever know.

View Profile
March 03, 2019, 11:47:34 AM

Meanwhile, all PGP clients can already do the job in a standard way, all that's needed is to avoid relying on fingerprints (which is not so hard).

You are repeating yourself.

So can all legacy bitcoin clients with any legacy addy.
Carlton Banks (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
March 03, 2019, 11:53:37 AM

Meanwhile, all PGP clients can already do the job in a standard way, all that's needed is to avoid relying on fingerprints (which is not so hard).

You are repeating yourself.

So can all legacy bitcoin clients with any legacy addy.

I'm gonna repeat myself again then: there's no reason why Bitcoin addresses can't be used to recover accounts, PGP is just useful for different reasons as well as that

Vires in numeris
asche
Legendary

View Profile
March 03, 2019, 11:55:24 AM

I'm gonna repeat myself again then: there's no reason why Bitcoin addresses can't be used to recover accounts, PGP is just useful for different reasons as well as that

But PGP is already accepted for that purpose as well!

There is exactly no point in making it mandatory.
LTU_btc
Legendary

Activity: 3052
Merit: 1330

Slava Ukraini!

View Profile WWW
March 03, 2019, 12:34:22 PM
Merited by cabalism13 (1)

I don't see need to make PGP keys mandatory for high ranked members. Even staked Bitcoin addresses with signed message isn't mandatory. It's optional thing for users who want to secure their accounts and recover it in case if it will be hacked. Same thing with PGP keys. For other reasons, I just don't see how it would be beneficial for every high ranked member to have PGP key. If you want - let's do it, but we don't need to force everyone to have PGP key.

Carlton Banks (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
March 03, 2019, 12:46:49 PM

I don't see need to make PGP keys mandatory for high ranked members. Even staked Bitcoin addresses with signed message isn't mandatory. It's optional thing for users who want to secure their accounts and recover it in case if it will be hacked. Same thing with PGP keys. For other reasons, I just don't see how it would be beneficial for every high ranked member to have PGP key. If you want - let's do it, but we don't need to force everyone to have PGP key.

Any account would be more secure if it had a 2nd factor to authenticate it. Why not make it mandatory to be eligible for the higher ranks? Why not promote using cryptography standards that have other benefits too? If we design a system to make it secure by default, then the value will increase. Right now, I have email alerts turned off, because they get sent to me unencrypted.

Vires in numeris
asche
Legendary

View Profile
March 03, 2019, 12:52:54 PM

For the 2FA part, theymos adressed it multiple times.

Including this in SMF is a too big challenge. It is included in the new version of the forum however (Epochtalk).
Carlton Banks (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
March 03, 2019, 01:08:52 PM

For the 2FA part, theymos adressed it multiple times.

Including this in SMF is a too big challenge. It is included in the new version of the forum however (Epochtalk).

That's interesting. So now I'm pretty enthusiastic about the Epochtalk migration.

Vires in numeris
LTU_btc
Legendary

Activity: 3052
Merit: 1330

Slava Ukraini!

View Profile WWW
March 03, 2019, 01:45:31 PM

Any account would be more secure if it had a 2nd factor to authenticate it. Why not make it mandatory to be eligible for the higher ranks? Why not promote using cryptography standards that have other benefits too? If we design a system to make it secure by default, then the value will increase. Right now, I have email alerts turned off, because they get sent to me unencrypted.
2FA thing was discussed so many times in past that I don't see reasons to repeat.
Extra security is always good thing - better safe than sorry. But in general, it's enough to have signed message from staked address to secure your account and be able to recover it. Offcourse, you can use both if you want - staked address and PGP key, because both things are accepted as proof of ownership. But both things are optional and I don't see theymos going to force every user to have these things.

TECSHARE
In memoriam
Legendary

Activity: 3318
Merit: 1958

First Exclusion Ever

View Profile WWW
March 03, 2019, 10:15:40 PM

You people never learn. Have fun destroying what is left of this place.
Welsh
Staff
Legendary

Activity: 3262
Merit: 4110

View Profile
March 03, 2019, 11:57:59 PM
Merited by Carlton Banks (3)

Tying in with the badges that are suppose to be coming out soon we could encourage users to register their PGP signature by rewarding a aesthetically pleasing badge. It's been proven to encourage in other sectors of the world. Rather than forcing current users to do it though, I think making it a requirement to progress to a certain rank is probably a good idea. Legendary would be ideal, as true legendary should know how to sign a key!
Carlton Banks (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
March 04, 2019, 10:11:28 AM

Tying in with the badges that are suppose to be coming out soon we could encourage users to register their PGP signature by rewarding a aesthetically pleasing badge.

Right. If there was a "verified" badge for users, and a "confirmed authentic" badge per message, that might be a good enough incentive to drive adoption.

Vires in numeris
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: