Bitcoin Forum
May 05, 2024, 07:28:13 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: A BitCoin StackExchange - please follow it!  (Read 6507 times)
nereer

Activity: 84
Merit: 10

Why settle for the lesser evil?

View Profile
May 15, 2011, 11:21:18 AM

*bump*

We are pretty close, all that remains is:

1 on-topic question
2 off-topic questions

The thing is, there are a lot of votes in there on duplicate questions etc. There are easily enough voters to complete this stage but not enough people voting on the same questions. (I guess that is just bitcoiners Wink )

people who have already signed up, if you have the time can you go back in and vote strategically?

If you agree that Bitcoin needs a dedicated Q & A site please sign up for the Bitcoin StackExchange site!

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The grue lurks in the darkest places of the earth. Its favorite diet is adventurers, but its insatiable appetite is tempered by its fear of light. No grue has ever been seen by the light of day, and few have survived its fearsome jaws to tell the tale.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
nereer

Activity: 84
Merit: 10

Why settle for the lesser evil?

View Profile
May 23, 2011, 05:00:43 PM

For anyone following this thread, we have reached the commit phase:

This proposal is in:
Commitment

Before the site is created, it needs people to commit to use it. Right now, it's
6%

complete. When it reaches 100%, the beta will begin.

please go over there and commit for the beta to move forward. thanks

If you agree that Bitcoin needs a dedicated Q & A site please sign up for the Bitcoin StackExchange site!
k

Activity: 451
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 11, 2011, 02:06:15 AM

bump.

getting more necessary day by day.
D.H.

Activity: 311

Bitcoin.se site owner

View Profile WWW
June 11, 2011, 10:44:53 AM

Commited!

Bitcoin needs a good Q&A site. These forums are useful for discussions but it's hard to find the good answers buried in a pile of not-so-good answers.

25% complete

www.bitcoin.se - Forum, nyheter och information på svenska! (Forum, news and information in Swedish)
k

View Profile
June 11, 2011, 11:16:48 AM

I've changed my forum sig to promote this. Others could maybe do the same to try to get the word out. Part of the problem is that with so many threads most people don't know about this thread or the proposed stack exchange.
ripper234 (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1358
Merit: 1003

Ron Gross

View Profile WWW
June 11, 2011, 11:22:39 AM

Good idea, I updated mine as well.
Note that a lot of people don't know what a "Stack Exchange" is, and will confuse it with a stock exchange.

Please do not pm me, use ron@bitcoin.org.il instead
Mastercoin Executive Director
Co-founder of the Israeli Bitcoin Association
k

View Profile
June 11, 2011, 11:26:42 AM

You're right. Edited the sig again.
herzmeister
Legendary

Activity: 1764
Merit: 1007

View Profile WWW
July 07, 2011, 11:04:14 PM

Just signed up as well. http://area51.stackexchange.com/proposals/30763/bitcoin-crypto-currency?referrer=GkbdCjnWh3E1

https://localbitcoins.com/?ch=80k | BTC: 1LJvmd1iLi199eY7EVKtNQRW3LqZi8ZmmB
davux

Activity: 288
Merit: 263

Firstbits.com/1davux

View Profile WWW
July 07, 2011, 11:19:48 PM

I committed a while ago on participating on that Q&A website whenever it launches.

However, I think it would be better to give OSQA a try. It works nearly exactly like StackExchange, except it's decentralized and the engine is open source.

1DavuxH9tLqU4c7zvG387aTG4mA7BcRpp2
México (Oaxaca) – France - Leeds
D.H.

Activity: 311

Bitcoin.se site owner

View Profile WWW
July 10, 2011, 09:40:08 AM

I committed a while ago on participating on that Q&A website whenever it launches.

However, I think it would be better to give OSQA a try. It works nearly exactly like StackExchange, except it's decentralized and the engine is open source.

OSQA looks nice, almost too much like StackExchange, feels a bit like a ripoff. What did you mean by decentralized by the way? It's a regular web app that someone will have to host, right?

www.bitcoin.se - Forum, nyheter och information på svenska! (Forum, news and information in Swedish)
ripper234 (OP)
Legendary

Ron Gross

View Profile WWW
July 10, 2011, 11:22:45 AM

OSQA looks nice, almost too much like StackExchange, feels a bit like a ripoff. What did you mean by decentralized by the way? It's a regular web app that someone will have to host, right?

OSQA is indeed very nice (I ran an OSQA site).

It's two major pros:
1. You don't need to attract a large core group, you can start it immediately without asking anyone for permission.
2. It's open source, so you can tweak it.

A few disadvantages:
1. You don't get to enjoy the branding/traffic influx of Stack Exchange.
2. You have to set it up and maintain it by yourself.
3. It is inferior to stack exchange, feature wise. I won't go into details, but having used both platforms a lot this is a significant advantage to Stack Exchange over any other Q&A platform (e.g. Shapado, AskBot).

I think at the current rate, the stack exchange site will open in a few months. If anyone thinks this is too far in the future, you're invited to open site based on some other alternative. IMO Stack Exchange is a better long-term solution.

davux

Activity: 288
Merit: 263

Firstbits.com/1davux

View Profile WWW
July 10, 2011, 04:38:34 PM

What did you mean by decentralized by the way? It's a regular web app that someone will have to host, right?

I mean that AFAIK, all StackExchange sites are hosted at the same place, because only they have the software. And it's a lot of StackExchange sites over there.

I can't compare OSQA (or other Q&A software) and StackExchange feature-wise because I don't use them enough, but at a structure level I wouldn't like Bitcoin (which is a decentralized currency btw) to base its Q&A resources on a centralized architecture.

1DavuxH9tLqU4c7zvG387aTG4mA7BcRpp2
México (Oaxaca) – France - Leeds
ripper234 (OP)
Legendary

Ron Gross

View Profile WWW
July 10, 2011, 04:49:25 PM

I can't compare OSQA (or other Q&A software) and StackExchange feature-wise because I don't use them enough, but at a structure level I wouldn't like Bitcoin (which is a decentralized currency btw) to base its Q&A resources on a centralized architecture.

Even if Stack Exchange would one day decide they have to take Bitcoin Q&A site down, they would allow us to import the data into another Q&A site.
I've been a follower of Stack Exchange / Overflow for a long time, and they are not evil (and they support data freedom).

kloinko1n

Activity: 406
Merit: 100

View Profile
July 10, 2011, 06:03:05 PM

I think the best forum to discuss or Q&A bitcoin is still usenet!
Chris Acheson

Activity: 266
Merit: 251

View Profile
July 12, 2011, 10:06:26 PM

Just committed to this.  It looks like we're a little behind on high-rep users: we've got 113/200 total users, but only 45/100 high-rep.  Unfortunately I wasn't registered on Stack Exchange before this.
ripper234 (OP)
Legendary

Ron Gross

View Profile WWW
July 13, 2011, 05:47:41 AM

Just committed to this.  It looks like we're a little behind on high-rep users: we've got 113/200 total users, but only 45/100 high-rep.  Unfortunately I wasn't registered on Stack Exchange before this.

Well, here's your chance to explore Stack Exchange, and get to the "high rep" status.. I'm sure you'll find one of the SE sites interesting.

herzmeister
Legendary

View Profile WWW
August 30, 2011, 09:28:24 PM

Hooray, it just went into private beta. Smiley

http://bitcoin.stackexchange.com/

k

View Profile
August 30, 2011, 10:15:04 PM

got my invite too.  Smiley

herzmeister
Legendary

View Profile WWW
September 04, 2011, 05:24:00 PM

It seems the private beta is going along very well. A serious, sober and factual site is just what the Bitcoin technology needs after all that recent drama.

herzmeister
Legendary

View Profile WWW
September 07, 2011, 11:27:14 PM

It's in public beta now, available for everyone.  Cool

Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: