Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 09:30:35 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 5 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitcoin shortage - Is it Possible?  (Read 15783 times)
steampunkz

Activity: 1162
Merit: 268

50% bonus on your First Topup

View Profile
March 07, 2019, 08:36:28 AM

I think the 21 Million supply is more than enough for bitcoin user and investors. Even some of miners and companies hold and hides their coins, It will only make its price to increase and that way the whales again will sell there BTC for a higher price. Vice versa.

The block chain is the main innovation of Bitcoin. It is the first distributed timestamping system.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Stac

Activity: 419
Merit: 100

View Profile
March 07, 2019, 08:44:45 AM

When the entire world will be using Bitcoin and the demand is rising due to all the people in the world is using Bitcoin there naturally arise a possibility in shortage but in Bitcoin there is a limited amount of Bitcoin available that is an amount of  only 21 million Bitcoins are there and not more is been produced .The reality is there will not be a shortage since when there comes a shortage there will be difficulties to mine more Bitcoins so we can assume that there will never arise a shortage in Bitcoin over the world Bitcoin will lead to an expensive market as the demand increases and the supply will remain the same .

Zadicar
Legendary

Activity: 1330
Merit: 1020

View Profile
March 08, 2019, 02:26:39 PM

I personally don’t think it would ever come to that point, since the value of bitcoin adjusts to satisfy the demand. I’d like to hear other opinions?
When full adoption do happens there would be shortage, imagine 21M total overall supply of BTC excluding for those coins lost forever then it wont really
be enough to circulate basing on total population worldwide which would use btc as a payment.There are alternatives though but if we do talk BTC supply then there would be shortage.

Legendary / Hero Member

EPSILOAN ██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
▄▄████████████████████▄▄
██████████████████████████
██████ ▄▀██████████  ███████
███████▄▀▄▀██████  █████████
█████████▄▀▄▀██  ███████████
███████████▄▀▄ █████████████
███████████  ▄▀▄▀███████████
█████████  ████▄▀▄▀█████████
███████  ████████▄▀ ████████
████████████████████████████
▀▀████████████████████▀▀
▄▄████████████████████▄▄
█████████████████▀▀  ███████
█████████████▀▀      ███████
█████████▀▀   ▄▄     ███████
█████▀▀    ▄█▀▀     ████████
█████████ █▀        ████████
█████████ █ ▄███▄   ████████
██████████████████▄▄████████
▀▀████████████████████▀▀
▄▄████████████████████▄▄
█████▄     ███████    ▄█████
███████     █████    ███████
███████ ▄    ███     ███████
███████ █▄    █ █    ███████
███████ ██▄    ██    ███████
███████ ███▄  ███    ███████
█████▀   ▀██▄███▀     ▀█████
▀▀████████████████████▀▀
Bitmore1

Activity: 57
Merit: 4

View Profile
March 08, 2019, 04:10:55 PM

No it is not possible.

The very nature of your question, "is it possible to have a shortage" , reveals a lack of understanding in the free market.
- If price is free to adjust to demand as is the fundamental characteristic in a free market, there can never be a shortage.  

Even if all but one Bitcoin were lost it would/could be adjusted through a fork to allow infinite division, allowing everyone in the world to use it.  But the price for that last whole Bitcoin would represent the total capital value of the whole Bitcoin market.  

And if some family descendent of yours 100 years from now found the recovery seed key in a long lost safety deposit box you put your backup for a dozen BTC, ---they would own the world.
Huskarls

Activity: 364
Merit: 10

View Profile
March 08, 2019, 11:18:08 PM

I personally don’t think it would ever come to that point, since the value of bitcoin adjusts to satisfy the demand. I’d like to hear other opinions?

most of this will work in conditions like now, although only having a potential increase of only tens of dollars, I think it is still considered good. The only thing to do shortage is BTC should be stable, when that conditions doesn't meet, then you should avoid that
pushups44

Activity: 854
Merit: 281

View Profile
March 09, 2019, 04:00:34 AM

No, there will technically not be a shortage given that the price is reached when supply and demand are at equilibrium, but as a practical matter if bitcoin reaches $50,000 or higher we can say there is a shortage for most people at a price they can afford, so they will have to resort to accumulating satoshis.
adzino
Copper Member

Activity: 2968
Merit: 574

www.Crypto.Games: Multiple coins, multiple games

View Profile
March 09, 2019, 04:05:30 AM

You mean shortage of the coins? Nope, i don't think it will happen. First of all, there is a maximum supply of 21 million coins. Assuming 20 million of the coins are lost, there will still be 1 million of those coins. The price of those will be extremely high (or very low due to people losing faith after the 20 million of those coins are lost) and the coins will be can be further divided into smaller values than 1 satoshi. We might even consider 1 satoshi as 1 whole coin too.

█████████████████████████
███████▄▄▀▀███▀▀▄▄███████
████████▄███▄████████
█████▄▄█▀▀███▀▀█▄▄█████
████▀▀██▀██████▀██▀▀████
████▄█████████████▄████
███████▀███████▀███████
████▀█████████████▀████
████▄▄██▄████▄██▄▄████
█████▀▀███▀▄████▀▀█████
████████▀███▀████████
███████▀▀▄▄███▄▄▀▀███████
█████████████████████████
 CRYPTOGAMES 
 Catch the winning spirit! 
█▄░▀███▌░▄
███▄░▀█░▐██▄
▀▀▀▀▀░░░▀▀▀▀▀
████▌░▐█████▀
████░░█████
███▌░▐███▀
███░░███
██▌░▐█▀
PROGRESSIVE
      JACKPOT      
██░░▄▄
▀▀░░████▄
▄▄▄▄██▀░░▄▄
░░░▀▀█░░▀██▄
███▄░░▀▄░█▀▀
█████░░█░░▄▄█
█████░░██████
█████░░█░░▀▀█
LOW HOUSE
         EDGE         
██▄
███░░░░░░░▄▄
█▀░░░░░░░████
█▄░░░░░░░░█▀
██▄░░░░░░▄█
███▄▄░░▄██▌
██████████
█████████▌
PREMIUM VIP
 MEMBERSHIP 
DICE   ROULETTE   BLACKJACK   KENO   MINESWEEPER   VIDEO POKER   PLINKO   SLOT   LOTTERY
Ucy

Activity: 2576
Merit: 401

View Profile
March 09, 2019, 04:44:16 PM

There are 100,000,000 Satoshi in one Bitcoin and more than enough for everyone, if the demand outweigh the supply. So most people will not be able to afford 1 whole bitcoin, but they will be able to own a number of Satoshis.  Wink 

Bitcoin was developed to mimic Gold and the scarcity and price of the commodity, determine the value of the smaller units of that commodity. <Not a lot of people own Gold bars, but they do own rings and jewellery that was made of Gold.>  Wink

You think this is still possible with Bitcoin gradually becoming a stablecoin? We all know the original goal was to make Bitcoin mimic gold with its scarcity but some believe this is no longer important
Argoo

Activity: 2268
Merit: 225

#SWGT PRE-SALE IS LIVE

View Profile
March 22, 2019, 07:52:55 PM

There can be no shortage of bitcoin or other specific cryptocurrency in cryptocurrency. If demand for cryptocurrency rises, and supply cannot meet demand, the price for this cryptocurrency rises and buyers and sellers come to an agreement based on the increased price of cryptocurrency.
In addition, the cryptocurrency market will always contain many homogeneous coins and tokens with similar functionality in the future. Therefore, the choice should always be large and diverse.

SWG.ioPre-Sale is LIVE at $0.15
║〘 Available On BINANCE 〙•〘 FIRST LISTING CONFIRMED 〙•〘 ✅ Certik Audited 〙║
╙ ›››››››››››››››››››››››››››››› BUY NOW ‹‹‹‹‹‹‹‹‹‹‹‹‹‹‹‹‹‹‹‹‹‹‹‹‹‹‹‹‹‹ ╜
Pattart

Activity: 1190
Merit: 500

View Profile
March 23, 2019, 05:50:20 AM

most of this will work in conditions like now, although only having a potential increase of only tens of dollars, I think it is still considered good. The only thing to do shortage is BTC should be stable, when that conditions doesn't meet, then you should avoid that
I dont think all investors agree to the price of bitcoin to be stable, and not all investors agree that fluctuations are shortages? many people take advantage of fluctuations for profit, so I don't think that the price of bitcoin should continue to be stable? and after all the price can't be dictated to be stable right?
Digitalbitcoin

Activity: 1540
Merit: 502

View Profile WWW
March 23, 2019, 06:20:23 AM

Quite Impossible.

As Bitcoin is made with a specific specification which has given more potential to Bitcoin to maintain its distribution according to demand by controlling its price against fiat currency. As well as Bitcoin Bitcoin has a great feature to get divided into 100000000 parts which can be individually identified on a network and it's called Satoshi.

Bitcoin has a great future considering the technology behind it. The blockchain is really innovative and revolutionary technology can bring more flexibility, mobility, and transparency along with security for businesses in the coming future.

Bitcoin rates are based on increasing use and demand for the world and supplies available. If the world accepts this new technology, then definitely the price of bitcoin will be a skyrocket in the coming future.
TheCoinGrabber

Activity: 994
Merit: 302

View Profile
March 23, 2019, 06:31:47 AM

I'm not saying impossible but it's highly unlikely. We have a huge amount of bitcoins lost in forgotten wallets etc true, but bitcoin is very divisible as many here already mentioned. Even if the value of a bitcoin goes to 1M, there's still enough satoshi to go around.
romero121
Legendary

Activity: 3164
Merit: 1213

View Profile
March 23, 2019, 06:41:58 AM

Bitcoin becomes more stable if there is more bitcoin into circulation beyond the supply limit. As the demand to supply is the major factor making the price of bitcoin, automatically the demand for Satoshi keeps increasing same as that people now speculate about bitcoin. In this way to the population the 21 million bitcoin is more than enough.
jonas5222000

Activity: 476
Merit: 10

Student Coin

View Profile
March 23, 2019, 07:33:31 AM

I dont think so,because bitcoin was continuing it rotation and the supply of its own was fitted for many people ,so the chance for the bitcoin shortage was so small,just remember everything was always move when you say cryptocurrencies.

► StudentCoin◄ ♦ Platform to create personal, DeFi and NFT Tokens ♦ ► StudentCoin◄
───●✦●───●✦●───●✦●───●✦●───●✦●─[   Bounty Detective   ]─●✦●───●✦●───●✦●───●✦●───●✦●───
Website◂ | ▸Twitter◂ | ▸Facebook◂ | ▸LinkedIn◂ | ▸Telegram◂ | ▸Reddit◂ | ▸Instagram
cizatext

Activity: 952
Merit: 41

View Profile
March 23, 2019, 07:51:40 AM

The 21 million supply of bitcoin is not just number but a deflating commodity if the demand get higher the total supply the the price become the determining factor.
cryptjh

Activity: 532
Merit: 185

View Profile
March 23, 2019, 07:57:07 AM

If needed, we cut just keep adding more zeros after the one satoshi level.  So shortages of fractions of bitcoins are impossible, but we might one day see shortages of sellers who want to sell a whole bitcoin.

We can already see exchanges that offer trades in fractions of satoshis. I think It would make good sense if the bitcoin blockchain added a fraction of satoshi level also, we already now see the lowest transactions payment for one bytes is down on 1 Satoshi, so we already now need a lower amount than 1 satoshi for byte transactions.
lyks15

Activity: 546
Merit: 100

View Profile
March 23, 2019, 09:40:49 AM

If we are looking at the bitcoin's value today we are clearly say that bitcoin shortage is impossible. It is like a demand and supply and in current situation is supply of bitcoin is more than demand of market. And I think bitcoin shortage will never happen because it is not a image form and it is a digital generated.

▼                          NΛTURΛL8       MAKING POKER FUN AGAIN                        ▼
►          $500k Rush & Cash Monthly   |   200% First Deposit   |   $150k Short Deck Hold'em          ◄
▲          [   ● FACEBOOK   ]     Download The App Here     [     ● TWITTER     ]          ▲
imstillthebest

Activity: 1638
Merit: 122

View Profile
March 23, 2019, 09:48:30 AM

If we are looking at the bitcoin's value today we are clearly say that bitcoin shortage is impossible. It is like a demand and supply and in current situation is supply of bitcoin is more than demand of market. And I think bitcoin shortage will never happen because it is not a image form and it is a digital generated.

today maybe but in the future its possible . just so you know bitcoin total max supply is only at 21 million   . the time will come that all 21 million supply will be mined out and that can cause a shortage  but that's  good i think because they said that once the supply runs out the value of bitcoin can also become expensive  .  yet im still scared if shortage happens because whenever i hear the word shortage the first thing that comes to my mind is bad news or something bad will happen   .
creeps

Activity: 742
Merit: 144

View Profile
March 23, 2019, 10:14:42 AM

Even if the demand increases i think the supply is still enough to satisfies the needs of the public. If there’s a buyer for sure there is sellers and the cycle will continue. The currenc supply can last for the next 30years, but its hard to be sure in the future. We are still on the good side and too far for this one so don’t panic.
DreamStage

Activity: 625
Merit: 258

View Profile
March 23, 2019, 10:24:56 AM

At the moment that's not something anyone is being worried about as Bitcoin shortage involves multiple parties selling their Bitcoins at a full scale.
I still think its likely to happen ONLY if government requests so which again i do seriously think it will happen...

The way the market is heading with Bitcoin is so green that it's very unlikely

Nothing to see here
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 5 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: