Bitcoin Forum
June 20, 2019, 10:21:22 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 0.18.0 [Torrent] (New!)

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Electrum long term viability  (Read 244 times)
tezza123

Activity: 8
Merit: 2

View Profile
March 12, 2019, 12:20:52 AM

• [3] If ever, I will be useful for natively exporting the keys but can't be used to send out since if the development and support had ended, "good" servers might vanish as well (but that's a far-fetched scenario).

I didn't think about that, very good point.  And thanks for the explanation on the other points as well.

Another question, if I may paint a hypothetical;  If (god forbid) Electrum dev team gave up, and eventually servers stopped supporting the software, one could still install a version of Electrum which is compatible with his seed phrase and extract the private keys, correct?[/list]

that is correct because servers have nothing to do with your seed and deriving private keys from your seed. everything is happening inside your software which will be usable forever and even if you couldn't or didn't want to use the Electrum version you could always ask someone who is familiar with Electrum code to write you a simple script that you then run offline to generate your keys from your seed. (it is an easy thing to write). that is the beauty of open source applications.
    then you can use the private keys (which are universal and work in any bitcoin implementation) to import in another wallet and have access to your funds.

You would also need to make sure that the version of Electrum was still compatible with the OS in the future. So I assume you would need the current version of Electrum and the OS to be on the safe side or a working virtual machine with the correct version of the OS ?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
    Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
    Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
    Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction. Advertise here.

Ignore
    Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
    pooya87
    Legendary

Activity: 1680
    Merit: 1702

View Profile
    March 12, 2019, 04:26:54 AM

~
    You would also need to make sure that the version of Electrum was still compatible with the OS in the future. So I assume you would need the current version of Electrum and the OS to be on the safe side or a working virtual machine with the correct version of the OS ?

well that is a very rare case, nearly all the times any application that can be run on an older version of an operating system can also be run on the new versions of it because they always keep backward compatibility. i'd say it is a far fetched possibility but it is possible still.

Pages: « 1 [2]  All
      Print  

Jump to:  

Sponsored by , a Bitcoin-accepting VPN.