Bitcoin Forum
May 12, 2024, 10:52:51 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: [PTA] Petrachor | PoS Ariel Protocol | Smart Contract Platform | BLS | BLS12-381  (Read 1082 times)
Eika4 (OP)
Copper Member

Activity: 16
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 14, 2019, 06:33:51 PM

The Petrachor Telegram group is now open for general discussion:

https://t.me/petrachor
The network tries to produce one block per 10 minutes. It does this by automatically adjusting how difficult it is to produce blocks.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
sazzotone

Activity: 9

View Profile
May 15, 2019, 04:42:28 PM

Will Petrachor have layer 2 scaling or masternodes?
Eika4 (OP)
Copper Member

View Profile
May 15, 2019, 06:16:26 PM

Will Petrachor have layer 2 scaling or masternodes?

Petrachor will not have masternodes.

The Petrachor team is working on layer 2 solutions that enable instant, low-fee transactions.
Eika4 (OP)
Copper Member

View Profile
May 15, 2019, 09:04:28 PM

If you run into any problems compiling the source code and connecting to the Petrachor network, please reach out to us on our Telegram Group. We will be happy to answer any questions you may have.

https://t.me/petrachor
TimeTeller

Activity: 2716
Merit: 588

View Profile
May 15, 2019, 09:27:21 PM

What is your main use case for Petrachor?
I'm confused if this is just another PoS coin in the making.
A blockchain protocol integrated to a fork of the ethereum source code, is that the reason why I'm seeing like eth addresses in your explorer?
What does it really do to your advantage? Can you explain it in layman's terms?
Eika4 (OP)
Copper Member

View Profile
May 15, 2019, 11:02:54 PM
Last edit: May 16, 2019, 02:55:51 AM by Eika4

Petrachor has been developed over the past 2 years, and the mainnet was launched on March 13. Everything in the description has been implemented.

Petrachor does use a Proof-of-Stake consensus, the Ariel Protocol. This works differently from other Proof-of-Stake smart contract platforms like EOS or TRON, because it does not use delegates. Every Petrachor node is an equal peer, and eligible to earn block rewards for contributing to the security of the network.

Bitcoin's Proof-of-Work consensus is similar to the Ariel Protocol. With Bitcoin, your hashrate determines your probability of finding a block, while with Petrachor your wallet balance determines this probability. The main innovation here is that computers are bad at creating randomness, but by using BLS cryptography, we are able to provide a secure truly random beacon to mimic the hashrate war that Proof-of-Work is famous for, but in an energy-efficient manner.

A blockchain protocol integrated to a fork of the ethereum source code, is that the reason why I'm seeing like eth addresses in your explorer?

Petrachor and Ethereum have identical address lengths and both are hexadecimal, but otherwise they are completely different. Ethereum uses ECDSA cryptography to generate a public and private key, while Petrachor uses BLS cryptography. The two are not compatible, so if you generate an Ethereum address, and send Petra to that address on the Petrachor blockchain, those coins are gone forever.

Why did we replace the signature scheme with BLS?
Many reasons, but I won't go into all of them. One cool thing about BLS signatures is that you can aggregate an unlimited number of them into one single signature. This will allow us to compact the chain data, saving space, and opening up new possibilities for light-clients running on mobile and other storage restricted devices.

You can probably see by now that our main focus is minimizing hardware requirements, bandwidth, and energy, which enables more people to maintain a copy of the blockchain, and ultimately maximizes censorship resistance. With this in mind, we have also changed the target block time from 13 seconds (ETH) to 30 minutes. That may seem like a long time, but again this choice is to reduce storage requirements, in particular block headers, which over many years can cause a large amount of blockchain bloat. But don't fear, we will be adding a payment layer for instant and confidential transactions, so you can use Petrachor with the same speed, reliability, and privacy as cash.

Petrachor also has designs to replace the Ethereum Virtual Machine with a new smart contract platform that will simplify and improve our ability to run decentralized applications. We will let you know when the new upgrade has been deployed.
athupio

Activity: 4

View Profile
May 16, 2019, 03:44:59 AM

Wow, I can definitely see how Petrachor has fixed some of the major problems with Bitcoin and Ethereum. That's really cool!
Eika4 (OP)
Copper Member

View Profile
May 16, 2019, 02:50:04 PM

Is Petrachor listed on any exchanges?

Please be advised that an exchange listing has been announced for Petrachor.

https://help.hotbit.io/hc/en-us/articles/360023016234-Hotbit-will-launch-PTA-on-May-17th
TimeTeller

Activity: 2716
Merit: 588

View Profile
May 16, 2019, 09:55:09 PM

Petrachor has been developed over the past 2 years, and the mainnet was launched on March 13. Everything in the description has been implemented.

Petrachor does use a Proof-of-Stake consensus, the Ariel Protocol. This works differently from other Proof-of-Stake smart contract platforms like EOS or TRON, because it does not use delegates. Every Petrachor node is an equal peer, and eligible to earn block rewards for contributing to the security of the network.

Bitcoin's Proof-of-Work consensus is similar to the Ariel Protocol. With Bitcoin, your hashrate determines your probability of finding a block, while with Petrachor your wallet balance determines this probability. The main innovation here is that computers are bad at creating randomness, but by using BLS cryptography, we are able to provide a secure truly random beacon to mimic the hashrate war that Proof-of-Work is famous for, but in an energy-efficient manner.

Petrachor and Ethereum have identical address lengths and both are hexadecimal, but otherwise they are completely different. Ethereum uses ECDSA cryptography to generate a public and private key, while Petrachor uses BLS cryptography. The two are not compatible, so if you generate an Ethereum address, and send Petra to that address on the Petrachor blockchain, those coins are gone forever.

Why did we replace the signature scheme with BLS?
Many reasons, but I won't go into all of them. One cool thing about BLS signatures is that you can aggregate an unlimited number of them into one single signature. This will allow us to compact the chain data, saving space, and opening up new possibilities for light-clients running on mobile and other storage restricted devices.

You can probably see by now that our main focus is minimizing hardware requirements, bandwidth, and energy, which enables more people to maintain a copy of the blockchain, and ultimately maximizes censorship resistance. With this in mind, we have also changed the target block time from 13 seconds (ETH) to 30 minutes. That may seem like a long time, but again this choice is to reduce storage requirements, in particular block headers, which over many years can cause a large amount of blockchain bloat. But don't fear, we will be adding a payment layer for instant and confidential transactions, so you can use Petrachor with the same speed, reliability, and privacy as cash.

Petrachor also has designs to replace the Ethereum Virtual Machine with a new smart contract platform that will simplify and improve our ability to run decentralized applications. We will let you know when the new upgrade has been deployed.

Thank you very much for the detailed response.
The platform seems very promising. But one bottleneck that I'm seeing here is how you will get users on board?
Sure, you are making your blockchain light so more people can afford to have your app in their computers or phones, but you need long list of merchants to make your platform usable to them.
Otherwise, this is just another dormant app in their system.
Eika4 (OP)
Copper Member

View Profile
May 17, 2019, 04:11:08 PM
Last edit: May 25, 2019, 09:32:42 PM by Eika4

Thank you very much for the detailed response.
The platform seems very promising. But one bottleneck that I'm seeing here is how you will get users on board?
Sure, you are making your blockchain light so more people can afford to have your app in their computers or phones, but you need long list of merchants to make your platform usable to them.
Otherwise, this is just another dormant app in their system.

We agree with you. Merchant adoption and payroll services are key to the integration of a currency, eliminating the need for an exchange.

We plan to use a series of proof of concepts, to demonstrate the benefits of Petra, utility tokens, and low transaction fees.

These free apps will help demonstrate many benefits of using Petra over fiat, while also providing an immediate benefit to those using the app.

By releasing proof of concepts, we hope to show off the advanced functionality and usability of Petrachor, and work with other app developers to help integrate the same payment system.

Activity: 22

View Profile
May 18, 2019, 06:32:10 AM

I want to send PTA, I failed to send with this command.

curl -X POST --data '{"jsonrpc":"2.0","method":"eth_sendTransaction","params":[{"from": "0xf1714d1d16087b379a317b32019236337fa18661", "to": "0x7a9ee17c2221296adad0b4a1337d0d18b935f46c", "value": "100"}],"id":1}' 127.0.0.1:8545

The error message is as follows:curl: (7) Failed to connect to 127.0.0.1 port 8545: Connection refused

Please help me!
Eika4 (OP)
Copper Member

View Profile
May 18, 2019, 01:24:09 PM

I want to send PTA, I failed to send with this command.

curl -X POST --data '{"jsonrpc":"2.0","method":"eth_sendTransaction","params":[{"from": "0xf1714d1d16087b379a317b32019236337fa18661", "to": "0x7a9ee17c2221296adad0b4a1337d0d18b935f46c", "value": "100"}],"id":1}' 127.0.0.1:8545

The error message is as follows:curl: (7) Failed to connect to 127.0.0.1 port 8545: Connection refused

Please help me!

1. In order to broadcast your transaction, you must be running the Petrachor node, and it must be synced with the network. If your Petrachor node is not running, or you have not turned on the json RPC, then you cannot broadcast a transaction. Make sure your json RPC port is listening on the default port 8545 ./petrachor -j -v 8

2. Once your node is running and has imported all blocks, you can now broadcast a transaction. Make sure you do not close the terminal window that is running the Petrachor node, or else it will kill the program. One option for doing this is running the application "screen" (you can find instructions here). Another option is to open a second terminal window, so that you have the Petrachor node in one terminal and the command line in the second terminal. I would suggest using two terminal windows because if you are not mining, you will need to enter the master passphrase for your wallet, and your key passphrase if you created one, after you enter the sendTransaction command.

3. Make sure all values are in hexadecimal format. Your "value" must be converted to hexadecimal, so for sending 100 PTA you will use 0x56BC75E2D63100000

Your command should look like this:

curl -X POST --data '{"jsonrpc":"2.0","method":"eth_sendTransaction","params":[{"from": "0xf1714d1d16087b379a317b32019236337fa18661", "to": "0x7a9ee17c2221296adad0b4a1337d0d18b935f46c", "value": "0x56BC75E2D63100000"}],"id":1}' 127.0.0.1:8545
sazzotone

View Profile
May 18, 2019, 05:09:16 PM

I just made contribution to the auction. When do I receive payout?
Eika4 (OP)
Copper Member

View Profile
June 04, 2019, 06:03:16 PM

View our updated website: petrachor.com
sazzotone

View Profile
September 28, 2019, 02:18:08 PM

https://youtu.be/fDr8OnO3a9g

Nice to see the development team working hard on the project. Keep it up.
sazzotone

View Profile
January 16, 2021, 09:31:25 PM

New Telegram group?

https://t.me/officialpetrachor
Kang TB

Activity: 1050
Merit: 250

Revolutionizing Reward Points

View Profile