Bitcoin Forum
April 27, 2024, 09:43:17 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Warning: One or more bitcointalk.org users have reported that they strongly believe that the creator of this topic is a scammer. (Login to see the detailed trust ratings.) While the bitcointalk.org administration does not verify such claims, you should proceed with extreme caution.
Pages: « 1 2 [3]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Three days out, and network hashrate unaffected?  (Read 7157 times)
Luno

Activity: 504
Merit: 250

View Profile
December 06, 2012, 10:14:57 PM

The price on used GPU's in this forum should be a good measure of the perception of future difficulty / price levels,

The market for used GPU's are existing miners and new entry miners.

So either people are believing that price is going to the 20-25$ range soon, or they are expecting a crash that will make difficuty go down to a level that compensate for the block reward halving.

If I was serious about mining now I would buy all FPGA's I could get my hands on, as they are priced favourable now MH/$ vise. That would still be a gamble that asic's will not take over (either because of delays or a smaller market than people think).

So everybody are waiting a little longer and running their GPU's while the price is still rising. If we see a serious price drop, people will shut their rigs off and their will be a fire sale of GPU's

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Unlike traditional banking where clients have only a few account numbers, with Bitcoin people can create an unlimited number of accounts (addresses). This can be used to easily track payments, and it improves anonymity.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
organofcorti
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 2058
Merit: 1007

Poor impulse control.

View Profile WWW
December 06, 2012, 10:17:53 PM

Sigh.

Variance.

Spend some time looking at a network hashrate chart on a log scale and you'll figure it out. Or just read the posts of mine above.

Bitcoin network and pool analysis 12QxPHEuxDrs7mCyGSx1iVSozTwtquDB3r
follow @oocBlog for new post notifications
kwoody

Activity: 454
Merit: 250

Technology and Women. Amazing.

View Profile
December 07, 2012, 12:13:57 AM

7xxx cards are still profitable as they use less wattage per hash, it's the 5xxx and 6xxx cards that have a razor thin profit margin, if any at all.
plenty of 7970's making money though.
rupy

Activity: 725
Merit: 500

View Profile
December 07, 2012, 11:21:27 AM

Sigh.

Variance.

Spend some time looking at a network hashrate chart on a log scale and you'll figure it out. Or just read the posts of mine above.

I wish the difficulty would drop quicker, since that would squeeze more out of FPGAs before ASICs...

BANKBOOK GWT Wallet & no-FIAT Billing API
chewie

Activity: 75
Merit: 10

View Profile
December 08, 2012, 01:47:40 AM

Looks like a temporary weekend upsurge in total network hashrate.  More likely, than not, it'll go back to upper teens by Monday.
organofcorti
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 2058
Merit: 1007

Poor impulse control.

View Profile WWW
December 08, 2012, 01:55:55 AM

Looks like a temporary weekend upsurge in total network hashrate.  More likely, than not, it'll go back to upper teens by Monday.

I don't think the estimated network hashrate is what you think it is.

Bitcoin network and pool analysis 12QxPHEuxDrs7mCyGSx1iVSozTwtquDB3r
follow @oocBlog for new post notifications
Gatorhex

Activity: 126
Merit: 100

View Profile
December 08, 2012, 02:46:28 AM
Last edit: December 10, 2012, 03:35:01 PM by Gatorhex

7xxx cards are still profitable as they use less wattage per hash, it's the 5xxx and 6xxx cards that have a razor thin profit margin, if any at all.
plenty of 7970's making money though.

5xxx and 6xxx are not profitable at all
7970 is razor thin like $0.33c per day right now, that's a long time to get payback on a card.
rupy

View Profile
December 10, 2012, 12:18:26 AM

Finally we see hashrate drop! Now if it could just go down enough for ROI on my FPGAs before ASICs hit that would be very welcome!

Please turn your "environmentally unfriendly" heater GPUs off! Wink

Stephen Gornick
Legendary

Activity: 2506
Merit: 1010

View Profile
December 10, 2012, 03:12:15 AM

If I was serious about mining now I would buy all FPGA's I could get my hands on, as they are priced favourable now MH/$ vise. That would still be a gamble that asic's will not take over (either because of delays or a smaller market than people think).

You probably aren't following this thread then:

If the foundry keeps up 4 layers a week from now on, it means ASICMINEr should receive the chips just before Christmas, so we could theoretically (hopefully) have something online before the end of the year....hashing the first ASIC mined block ever

then following that:

(~2-3 weeks)
First 6TH/s online
(~2-3 weeks)
Second 6TH/s online
(~0-4 weeks)
50TH/s of chips out
(~2-3 weeks, ~2-5 weeks if location changes)
Part or all of the 50TH/s online

Unichange.me

█
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █

rupy

View Profile
December 12, 2012, 01:36:05 PM

wtf, now it's going back up again?!

EDIT: Ah of course, price went up 1 $... GPUs are back online...

Stephen Gornick
Legendary

Activity: 2506
Merit: 1010

View Profile
December 12, 2012, 11:50:26 PM

wtf, now it's going back up again?!

EDIT: Ah of course, price went up 1 $... GPUs are back online...

And because of those coming back to BTC mining after giving LTC mining a try.

But yes, with the exchange rate up 10% and difficulty dropped by a small amount ... today it is marginally better than it was two weeks ago.

Though the ASIC onslaught continues unabated.   Not every promised ASIC design needs to ship to finish off GPUs, ... just one actually shipping will do that.

Or even some souped up FPGA monster.  Such as what yohan says they've got.  From another thread:

Before we ask for money you will be able to see the inital small system results in the network hash rate. It will be big enough to be noticed.

Unichange.me

█
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █

joshv06

Activity: 991

View Profile
December 13, 2012, 04:17:34 PM

There seems to be a decent drop in difficulty, I hope it keeps going down to get more GPU profits before the Asics come in!

D A I L Y -  C R Y P T O  -  G I V E W A Y S
▬▬ ●●     Your source for daily free giveaways !    ●● ▬▬
DISCORD    -    TWITTER    -    WEBSITE
runeks
Legendary

Activity: 980
Merit: 1008

View Profile WWW
January 08, 2013, 09:23:47 AM

What makes people think that GPU miners will quit all at once, and no one will replace them? This isn't an orchestrated event. It's thousands of individuals discovering slowly that they might be unprofitable, and others acquiring FPGAs and replacing the computing power. There are also miners who have paid-for electricity. They have no incentive to stop mining now - especially not with all the GPUs from the miners who quit because they do have to pay their electricity bill hitting the markets and decreasing the price of used GPUs.
Pages: « 1 2 [3]  All
  Print  

Jump to: