Bitcoin Forum
April 20, 2024, 04:47:04 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Cryptsy Trading Block Scam and possible Security Leak  (Read 1583 times)
mikenz (OP)

Activity: 215
Merit: 102

View Profile
March 12, 2014, 12:28:02 PM

Hi everyone,

I was Cryptsy-User for a few months now and never had a problem with them (except daylong deposit times for coins).

Last week I was trading Auroracoins at Cryptsy while they were shooting up to 0.149. I made some profit buying in at 0.122 and selling a few times around 0.133 and to 0.14. The hassles began a few hours later when I realized the coin was not going up anymore and therefore likely about to drop further. I intended to sell at 0.135 but my orders where not executed anymore - even below the listed buy price, and disappeared from the list. Instead the orders where deleted from the system and then kept reappearing, but were not executed. I checked my system for errors, disabled the API-Access, used another browser, another computer - without any effect. The next hours I had to watch the coin value going down and down while I desperately tried to place sell orders, but canceled orders kept vanishing and reappearing again in the system while new orders were not executed.  Since I was unable to do anything, I at least recorderd a clip with my smartphone:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zt38ypR5xRs&feature=youtu.be

After hours, one order was finally executed (dont know why) when the value already dropped down to 0.9..

Possible Security Leak: My canceled orders kept reappearing in the balance, adding the total amount of BTC to the double amount (value+held for orders value):

Since Im not a scammer, I didnt try to make a withdrawal - but I wonder If I had been able to withdraw 16+ BTC from my Acct with an actual true balance of 8 .3 BTC during that event. If that happened to other Cryptsy users too or hackers exploit this weakness...or it already happened and they suffered loss and are running a fractional reserve now, who knows.

I sent 3 Mails to them outlining the issue, including further proof, the last one wednesday last week:

Hi Cryptsy Team,

Attached you find a set of screenshots as further proof regarding my blocked trade at cryptsy yesterday, after I already sent you a short video of the event yesterday.

1. The screenshots 12,13 and 15 show the already cancelled orders reappearing, as you can already see it in the video I recorder with my smartphone (note the system time and time of order execution )

2. Screenshot 9 shows my correct Balance at 6.11 pm (CET) which is about 8.34 BTC (AUR + BTC, not involving  other coins I hold which I was not trading yesterday).

3. Screenshots 16 and 17 shows incorrect Balance of 16.3 BTC  (double value!) at 6.57pm , since canceled orders are apparently calculated within the Balance.

the whole bug occurred from yesterday afternoon and went on for hours. In the meantime,  trade value of AUR went down from 0.135 (where I was still in the profit zone since I bought in at 0.122-0.124)
to 0.09 (!) until a sell order was finally executed after hours (for whatever reason). Due to this bug, no sell order was executed before even when they were listed in the system below the buy price.

I was finally forced to sell for about 6.5 BTC, not only losing my gain but adding a loss. half lucky at least, since the loss would already be 50% at the coins value today. I find it appalling that this error never appeared all the months ago while I was trading other Coins with lower volume at Cryptsy. Also the error didn’t appear all the time while the AUR value shoot up to 0.149. It just started hours later when it sank back to below 0.12.

Please let me know how you will handle this event. I suffered a substantial loss due to this manipulation/bug and will fully cooperate with you in case of any further information requests/investigations.
In case I don’t hear anything from you within the next days, I will have to escalate this matter to the Bitcoin community.

Regards,

Until today, I didnt hear a word from them. I therefore declare myself being officially ripped off by Cryptsy, losing about 1.8 BTC due to fraud executed either by them or by a third party exploiting a security leak in their system with or without their knowledge.

Think twice before you trade your coins there.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"The nature of Bitcoin is such that once version 0.1 was released, the core design was set in stone for the rest of its lifetime." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Hippie Tech
aka Amenstop
Legendary

Activity: 1624
Merit: 1001

All cryptos are FIAT digital currency. Do not use.

View Profile WWW
March 14, 2014, 04:15:48 AM

My computer was idle when my deposit tripled.

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=246679.msg4651738#msg4651738

More and more it seems that they are working the books.

mikenz (OP)

Activity: 215
Merit: 102

View Profile
March 19, 2014, 10:24:41 AM

Man that looks scary. Looks like I am not the only one and this is going on for a long time already.

"I keep encountering a bug on cryptsy that won't let me cancel orders.  They get stuck on "this order is currently processing", even when the current price has moved far from the order price.  More often than not the price returns to that point eventually, but the wait is nerveracking in the meantime, and I have incurred losses a few times because of this bug (and it is a bug, which needs sorting)."

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=246679.3060

How come I never heard anything about this sh..t all the time?
TECSHARE
In memoriam
Legendary

Activity: 3318
Merit: 1958

First Exclusion Ever

View Profile WWW
June 22, 2014, 12:49:21 AM

BURNED BY CRYPTSY?

PUSH BACK
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=436149.0
Pages: [1]