Bitcoin Forum
May 05, 2024, 02:35:50 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: What can I do about possible merit abuse?  (Read 1005 times)
mikeywith
Legendary

Activity: 2226
Merit: 6367

be constructive or S.T.F.U

View Profile
March 28, 2019, 12:09:23 AM
Merited by Hhampuz (1)

but with a balance of 10-20 merit at any given time I am very limited in what I can do.

maybe report them here > https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=5093271.0

I also usually have different requirements for different campaigns as if I were to set it at 50 I'd hardly get any applications as most people with 50 or more earned merits are already in some other Campaign.

OK maybe 50 is a bit too much, but you get the point.

you are right, it depends on the campaign, you can't have the same "strict" requirements for every campaign, but for those with high pay rate where you have more on the waiting list than what you can accept, it makes sense to be a bit more strict.

anyhow i think you are doing a great job, it's great to see some camping managers being open for community opinions ,and actually care about the overall performance of the forum. good luck.

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████
███████████▄
████████████▄
██▄█████▀█████▄
▄█████████▀█████▀
███████████▀██▀
████▀█████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
c.h.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
▄██████▄▄▄
█████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███░░█████████
███▌▐█████████
█████████████
███████████▀
██████████▀
████████▀
▀██▀▀

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The Bitcoin software, network, and concept is called "Bitcoin" with a capitalized "B". Bitcoin currency units are called "bitcoins" with a lowercase "b" -- this is often abbreviated BTC.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
suchmoon
Legendary

Activity: 3654
Merit: 8922

https://bpip.org

View Profile WWW
March 28, 2019, 12:25:44 AM
Merited by mikeywith (1)

I'm wishing that I'd be a merit source

Have  you applied? If not - do it, you have a good reason right there since you're reviewing posts as part of your job.
darklus123

Activity: 1246
Merit: 588

View Profile
March 28, 2019, 01:50:03 AM

For me, it is too easy to identify if that merit was given freely or abusively. As you have said you are a campaign manager and among others you should understand way more better what a constructive post to not and if it  deserves a merit.

Tho, finding proof that it is a purely abused is a different story. Even tho, that merit is given from the time they applied you can still identify it's authenticity by reviewing the post.

Hhampuz (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 2856
Merit: 5916

Meh.

View Profile
March 28, 2019, 01:54:42 AM

I'm wishing that I'd be a merit source

Have  you applied? If not - do it, you have a good reason right there since you're reviewing posts as part of your job.

I've been meaning to but then things just kept coming in the way. Is theymos actively adding new merit sources, if you know?

tbct_mt2

Activity: 2310
Merit: 835

View Profile WWW
March 28, 2019, 02:06:00 AM

I've been meaning to but then things just kept coming in the way. Is theymos actively adding new merit sources, if you know?
For those reasons mentioned below, I don't think theymos will add new merit sources in short- or medium-term.
I don't think theymos will consider to add more merit sources soon, maybe till the end of 2019, or even never consider about this.
Some potential reasons that led to theymos' hesitation are:
- Some abusements from limited merit sources.
- The admin don't want to generate more merits and sMerits to all merit sources  (both current sources and new ones). Because, more monthly generated merits and sMerits will in turn lead to higher sMerits circulations in the forum. That, in turn, gives forum users more chances to be promoted, much faster, and in other side might create more potential incorrect usages of allocated sMerits.
- Limited merit sources, and limited monthly generated merits and sMerits will force the general quality of posts/ topics, users higher than adding more of them. Because users have to fight hard each other with their posts, their contributions to get sMerits from merit sources.

In general, I think theymos has lack of interests in adding more merit sources.
The admin might only consider about this if more than 10% of current merit sources kicked out (due to abusements, for instance).

Two main things:
- Checking merited posts or topics to assess it's quality in your own perspective.
- Checking the whole post history, especially within last 120 days.
From those two essential checking steps, the overview on quality of posters as well as potential merit abusements will become clearer.
For me, it is too easy to identify if that merit was given freely or abusively. As you have said you are a campaign manager and among others you should understand way more better what a constructive post to not and if it  deserves a merit.

Tho, finding proof that it is a purely abused is a different story. Even tho, that merit is given from the time they applied you can still identify it's authenticity by reviewing the post. 
suchmoon
Legendary

Activity: 3654
Merit: 8922

https://bpip.org

View Profile WWW
March 28, 2019, 02:14:45 AM

He's been adding some and/or reshuffling merit allocations every 3-4 months. Last change was in January IIRC.
Hhampuz (OP)
Legendary

Meh.

View Profile
March 28, 2019, 02:17:59 AM

He's been adding some and/or reshuffling merit allocations every 3-4 months. Last change was in January IIRC.

Copy that, as soon as I'm back home from my vacation I'll stop dragging my feet and get to it. Thank you!

tbct_mt2

View Profile WWW
March 28, 2019, 03:40:04 AM

I have a news for you, manager Hhampuz.
Vod created new feature for BPIP site, that gives new tool to sort out received merits in last 120 days.
Please check it there:
You forgot about @Vod, who created the BPIP site for bitcointalk community months ago.
He can do it for sure if he want.

Thx.  Smiley

Already done:
https://bpip.org/smerit.aspx?to=&from=&start=&end=&min=&max=

Just put profile name after to= and 120 days ago in start=
For instance, your received merits in last 120 days
https://bpip.org/smerit.aspx?to=Hhampuz&from=&start=120&end=&min=&max=

Edited: Something works incorrectly, please wait for Vod's reply (I already asked him).
Hhampuz (OP)
Legendary

Meh.

View Profile
March 28, 2019, 03:46:02 AM

Thanks for the tools, but I just go to peoples profiles and press Merit and that shows me what they've sent and received in the last 120 days. Are those numbers not accurate?

The Cryptovator
Legendary

Activity: 2240
Merit: 2174

Need PR/CMC & CG? TG @The_Cryptovator

View Profile WWW
March 28, 2019, 03:50:26 AM

Thanks for the tools, but I just go to peoples profiles and press Merit and that shows me what they've sent and received in the last 120 days. Are those numbers not accurate?
Yes that's 100% accurate. External script or tools will give you total merit transaction details. I mean lifetime merit details. So I don't think you need to use any external script or tools in order to check only 120 days merit history.

.BEST..CHANGE.███████████████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
███████████████
..BUY/ SELL CRYPTO..
tbct_mt2

View Profile WWW
March 28, 2019, 04:08:07 AM
Last edit: March 28, 2019, 06:23:52 AM by tbct_mt2

There you go, @Vod already replied. More adjustments will come soon.
It's time to use the tool to help you more effectively check your campaigns' applicants.
120 days ago would be about this:
https://bpip.org/smerit.aspx?to=Hhampuz&from=&start=11/27/18&end=&min=&max=

I now show number of records on the bottom
still working on the summation.

Furthermore, DdmrDdmr gave another option with his Merit Dashboard.
I have not tried using it, but you can take a look at it.
The Merit Dashboard does that. Simply go to the "Received Merit" tab, and adjust the date range slider to the date interval required (i.e. between date x and date y), be it 120 days or other. By default it shows all history. Then enter the user name or user Id on the boxes on the right side of the screen.

You should see:
- the total amount of merits earned by the forum member in the timeframe (on the right side of the screen, under the name).
- the amount received per rank in that timeframe.
- a breakdown by month.
- a breakdown by day.
- a summary of the forum names that merited the profile, and amounts, in the timeframe.

To change the username or id, just click on the parameter box, press the "x’ to delete current parameter, and type in a new name.

Note that the software, Tableau Public will timeout after around four minutes of inactivity, so if that happens, the date range may need to be provided again.

You can also see (on the rankings tab) the most merited profiles in a given timeframe and board.
TheHas

Activity: 616
Merit: 167

View Profile
March 28, 2019, 11:39:25 AM

If you're concerned about possible merit abuse mainly for the purposes of choosing participants for a bounty campaign - couldn't you just add a catch all sentence along the lines of 'I can accept or decline any participant for any reason at my discretion at any time during the campaign, including for possible merit abuse' etc.

You probably already include something like that but if it's right there in black and white then you're good to decline someone who 'earned' 20 merit for any reason. Will also mean that any last minute merit abuse will be somewhat wasted on the person who is trying to sneak into your bounty campaign - so that's a small win. 
tbct_mt2

View Profile WWW
March 28, 2019, 12:06:29 PM

I don't think it is necessary, all rights to accept or deny applying participants made by manager.
If you're concerned about possible merit abuse mainly for the purposes of choosing participants for a bounty campaign - couldn't you just add a catch all sentence along the lines of 'I can accept or decline any participant for any reason at my discretion at any time during the campaign, including for possible merit abuse' etc.
'For any reason', really? Even posts or topics merited because they are really constructive.
I don't agree at this point.
You should adjust it like 'earn 20 merits for non-sense, low quality works (posts or topics).
You probably already include something like that but if it's right there in black and white then you're good to decline someone who 'earned' 20 merit for any reason.
Abusements, when founded should result in rejections on applications. I don't think that recently abusements should lead to rejections, whilst past abusements (weeks or months ago) should be ignored. Abusements are always abusements.  Huh
Will also mean that any last minute merit abuse will be somewhat wasted on the person who is trying to sneak into your bounty campaign - so that's a small win. 
tbct_mt2

View Profile WWW
March 28, 2019, 02:58:58 PM

Thanks for the tools
I hope that my topic can be helpful for you, manager.
I think I made a summary from all available solutions raised by some users, there:
Tools for managers to check quality of posts (both merited & unmerited posts)
Feel free to leave your comment if you think I should improve the topic's contents, please.
Alone055

Activity: 1050
Merit: 202

View Profile WWW
March 28, 2019, 04:09:51 PM

If they have met the Merit Requirement but the Merits they've received are all very new (it probably isn't an issue if they reached the requirement recently by earning a few Merits, legally), then simply open their post history, check if their posting behavior convinces you. If it doesn't, then you can outrightly reject them since you are the manager and you want constructive posters for the campaign (that is why the Merit requirement is added, right?), but if it does convince you, then you can open their Merit history, look for the post they've received the Merits for, and see if the post deserves to get that many Merits and they've not earned them in a wrong way. If they're all earned legitimately, it can be a coincidence and they don't deserve a rejection for it, and if they are not, you are the boss.  Wink

pawanjain

Activity: 2674
Merit: 713

Nothing lasts forever

View Profile
March 28, 2019, 04:52:58 PM
Merited by The Sceptical Chymist (3)

All the above replies are salutary and you have the choice to implement whatever you want. I also have an idea which could result in less merit abuse.
How about creating a list of people who are possible merit abusers ? Like how you think that some people are abusing merit, just adding them up to the list will do the job.
Few people like the Pharmacist, Lauda and few more who are too good in investigating accounts can find out if the person is a merit abuser or not.
Or lets say anybody who identifies and proves that the person is abusing merit will be rewarded with merits. If the person will actually be abusing the merit then it's his 'Endgame'  Tongue

Just a thought :-)

███████████████████████████
███████▄████████████▄██████
████████▄████████▄████████
███▀█████▀▄███▄▀█████▀███
█████▀█▀▄██▀▀▀██▄▀█▀█████
███████▄███████████▄███████
███████▀███████████▀███████
████▄██▄▀██▄▄▄██▀▄██▄████
████▄████▄▀███▀▄████▄████
██▄███▀▀█▀██████▀█▀███▄███
██▀█▀████████████████▀█▀███
.Duelbits.
..........UNLEASH..........
THE ULTIMATE
GAMING EXPERIENCE
DUELBITS
FANTASY
SPORTS
████▄▄█████▄▄
░▄████
███████████▄
▐███
███████████████▄
███
████████████████
███
████████████████▌
███
██████████████████
████████████████▀▀▀
███████████████▌
███████████████▌
████████████████
████████████████
████████████████
████▀▀███████▀▀
▬▬
VS
▬▬
████▄▄▄█████▄▄▄
░▄████████████████▄
▐██████████████████▄
████████████████████
████████████████████▌
█████████████████████
███████████████████
███████████████▌
███████████████▌
████████████████
████████████████
████████████████
████▀▀███████▀▀
/// PLAY FOR  FREE  ///
WIN FOR REAL
..PLAY NOW..
akamit

Activity: 1484
Merit: 595

View Profile
March 28, 2019, 05:04:29 PM

Now to the issue, more than once (both previously and right now), I have people applying in my Campaigns and when I go to check their merit received I can see that they just received enough merit to hit the requirement, in some cases it was done just minutes before they apply. Now, this is probably merit abuse as I don't buy that it happens as a coincidence. However, how can I prove it? Do I just deny these people due to the fact it's just assumption, do I take any other action against it? It happens with accounts in good standing too, green trust & very active users so I'm a bit torn.

In my opinion it's a clear abuse of merit system and I won't accept those members in my campaigns if I were a campaign manager.
You can't say it's coincident, because they are receiving merits right after you have announced the campaign. So its a clear sign of merit abuse in order to get into a campaign.

But the accounts with good standing must be checked with special care because I don't think they will take the risk to harm their rep.
From whom they received merit and for which posts it should be checked and you are no doubt an experienced one in this field.

All the above replies are salutary and you have the choice to implement whatever you want. I also have an idea which could result in less merit abuse.
How about creating a list of people who are possible merit abusers ? Like how you think that some people are abusing merit, just adding them up to the list will do the job.
Few people like the Pharmacist, Lauda and few more who are too good in investigating accounts can find out if the person is a merit abuser or not.
Or lets say anybody who identifies and proves that the person is abusing merit will be rewarded with merits. If the person will actually be abusing the merit then it's his 'Endgame'  Tongue

Just a thought :-)
I was abt to write the same suggestion, but you wrote it.
I think it will help campaign managers a lot in regards to time saving.
GreatOrchid
Legendary

Activity: 1092
Merit: 1001

View Profile
March 29, 2019, 06:17:32 AM

That really might be getting much challenging for you to even judge good standing accounts including green trust. You should simply go through the post on which they recieved merit and judge that post according to your point of view and see if it seems a genuine merit transfer. If you feel anything fishy then you can reject the application maybe.
Even i am confused what can be done against such merit abuse but you are well trained and wise enough to judge peoples so i really hope you undergo this much wisely. I would love to hear your results as it would be exciting for me..  Grin
Hhampuz (OP)
Legendary

Meh.

View Profile
March 31, 2019, 01:55:33 AM

I really appreciate all the feedback and insight everyone shared in this thread. From now on I'll take a few extra looks on the merit that my potential participants have earned and if I ever suspect they've abused the system by buying/trading merit I'll give them a neutral tag and send in to a few people that could look into it further.

I'll also get going on applying as a Merit Source shortly to start awarding good posts that participants in my campaigns are making. Hopefully this would also lead to me not having to enforce specific merit requirements when launching new Campaigns and instead look at their posts more (although I already look at it, but I'll get better at it in the future).

Will now lock this thread as I feel it served it's purpose, again thank you guys!

Pages: « 1 2 [3]  All
  Print  

Jump to: