Bitcoin Forum
May 12, 2024, 08:33:02 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Can coins be destroyed in a more 'polite' way?  (Read 4112 times)
Mikez (OP)

Activity: 508
Merit: 500

View Profile
March 12, 2014, 03:29:05 PM

Say someone wanted to 'destroy' a sum of coins. He could for instance send them to the 1BitcoinEater address, basically no one would ever gain access to those coins(without the priv key), hence... he destroys that sum of coins.

Wouldn't sending those coins as a(possibly huge) fee be a better approach? That way, those coins get back to the miners and not sent into oblivion to a valid, but onowned, address.

The Bitcoin software, network, and concept is called "Bitcoin" with a capitalized "B". Bitcoin currency units are called "bitcoins" with a lowercase "b" -- this is often abbreviated BTC.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
byt411

Activity: 798
Merit: 1000

View Profile
March 12, 2014, 04:40:28 PM

That is also a good idea.
They could also simply donate it to charity, whether BTC directly or convert into USD first.
Then it's not a waste.
cooldgamer
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1003

We are the champions of the night

View Profile WWW
March 12, 2014, 04:41:48 PM

If you ever need to 'destroy' some coins you can send them to me Cheesy

BitDice.CC

Activity: 41
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 12, 2014, 04:47:22 PM

If you want to destroy, just send to this address :

1A1zP1eP5QGefi2DMPTfTL5SLmv7DivfNa

https://blockchain.info/tr/address/1A1zP1eP5QGefi2DMPTfTL5SLmv7DivfNa
Joshuar

Activity: 504

eidoo wallet

View Profile
March 12, 2014, 05:15:04 PM

If anyone wants to destroy coins. This wallet is available 1MYpNKj25HRBFpv22YpuZsuz2zZHKBLUu and will dispose of those coins  immediately(Bitcoins only)

██
█║█
║║║
║║║
█║█
██

▄██▄
                  ▄██████▄
                ▄██████████
              ▄██████████▀   ▄▄
            ▄██████████▀   ▄████▄
          ▄██████████▀    ████████▄
         ██████████▀      ▀████████
         ▀███████▀   ▄███▄  ▀████▀   ▄█▄
    ▄███▄  ▀███▀   ▄███████▄  ▀▀   ▄█████▄
  ▄███████▄      ▄██████████     ▄█████████
  █████████    ▄██████████▀    ▄██████████▀
   ▀█████▀   ▄██████████▀    ▄██████████▀
     ▀▀▀   ▄██████████▀    ▄██████████▀
          ██████████▀    ▄██████████▀
          ▀███████▀      █████████▀
            ▀███▀   ▄██▄  ▀█████▀
                  ▄██████▄  ▀▀▀
                  █████████
                   ▀█████▀
                     ▀▀▀
e i d o o
██

▄██▄
                  ▄██████▄
                ▄██████████
              ▄██████████▀   ▄▄
            ▄██████████▀   ▄████▄
          ▄██████████▀    ████████▄
         ██████████▀      ▀████████
         ▀███████▀   ▄███▄  ▀████▀   ▄█▄
    ▄███▄  ▀███▀   ▄███████▄  ▀▀   ▄█████▄
  ▄███████▄      ▄██████████     ▄█████████
  █████████    ▄██████████▀    ▄██████████▀
   ▀█████▀   ▄██████████▀    ▄██████████▀
     ▀▀▀   ▄██████████▀    ▄██████████▀
          ██████████▀    ▄██████████▀
          ▀███████▀      █████████▀
            ▀███▀   ▄██▄  ▀█████▀
                  ▄██████▄  ▀▀▀
                  █████████
                   ▀█████▀
                     ▀▀▀
██
█║█
║║║
║║║
█║█
██
lemfuture

Activity: 686

View Profile
March 12, 2014, 05:16:49 PM

by saying ..please

1ADLcfwTofFXb95pKhebpeRkJ4WTWsvQXB
DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Merit: 1079

Gerald Davis

View Profile
March 12, 2014, 05:21:39 PM

Wouldn't sending those coins as a(possibly huge) fee be a better approach? That way, those coins get back to the miners and not sent into oblivion to a valid, but onowned, address.

That wouldn't be destroyed.
byt411

View Profile
March 12, 2014, 05:25:08 PM

That wouldn't be destroyed.

There is no actual way of "destroying coins". Even sending to an address with a private key that isn't known, a person can also get a lot (and i mean a real lot) amount of hashpower to bruteforce the key. Although it would be difficult, the coins are still recoverable.
chrisLG

Activity: 126
Merit: 100

View Profile
March 12, 2014, 05:26:59 PM

There is no actual way of "destroying coins". Even sending to an address with a private key that isn't known, a person can also get a lot (and i mean a real lot) amount of hashpower to bruteforce the key. Although it would be difficult, the coins are still recoverable.

No they are not.

DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Merit: 1079

Gerald Davis

View Profile
March 12, 2014, 05:28:45 PM

Coins can be mined out of existence (miner selects a reward less than the max allowed).

Still coins sent to addresses with no known private key are effectively lost.  No you can't brute force it with a lot of hashing power (not even all the computing power on the planet).  If you could then Bitcoin would be worthless.
chrisLG

View Profile
March 12, 2014, 05:35:30 PM

Coins can be mined out of existence (miner selects a reward less than the max allowed).

Oh nice - I did not know that. Is the miner able to take "up to" the block reward? I was under the impressum the miner gets credited the reward and that was it.
byt411

View Profile
March 12, 2014, 05:39:24 PM

Still coins sent to addresses with no known private key are effectively lost.  No you can't brute force it with a lot of hashing power (not even all the computing power on the planet).  If you could then Bitcoin would be worthless.

As far as I know, you can perfectly try and bruteforce a bitcoin address. By simply using VanityGen. Your odds will be next to zero, but that DOES NOT mean it is impossible. Also, how do you know that in the near future there won't be asics capable of doing so?
chrisLG

View Profile
March 12, 2014, 05:50:32 PM

As far as I know, you can perfectly try and bruteforce a bitcoin address. By simply using VanityGen. Your odds will be next to zero, but that DOES NOT mean it is impossible. Also, how do you know that in the near future there won't be asics capable of doing so?

See my post. It is also possible to be struck by lightning every minute for the next 14 Billion years. It's just so unlikely that you might say it is impossible.
Nancarrow

Activity: 492

View Profile
March 12, 2014, 06:54:48 PM

Still coins sent to addresses with no known private key are effectively lost.  No you can't brute force it with a lot of hashing power (not even all the computing power on the planet).  If you could then Bitcoin would be worthless.

D&T knows that ASICs won't be capable of doing so because, like everyone else who assures you of that, he has done the maths. There's nothing more to add to that (by now cliched, but for good reason) sun pic. When a non-zero probability becomes sufficiently small, it becomes foolish and obscurantist to continue to treat it as "0.0000001". What part of "made of something other than matter or occupying something other than space" is relevant to ASIC design? The argument presented in that sun pic is dependent ONLY upon very well tested deep laws of physics. Nobody is going to design an ASIC that breaks the laws of thermodynamics until some time well AFTER a theoretical physicist has shown those laws don't hold, which is a remote and non-quantifiable possibility.

If I've said anything amusing and/or informative and you're feeling generous:
1GNJq39NYtf7cn2QFZZuP5vmC1mTs63rEW
kjj
Legendary

Activity: 1302
Merit: 1025

View Profile
March 12, 2014, 07:29:40 PM

Since we are all repeating what always is said in these threads, I'll add my 2 cents.

We have no promise that each possible outputs of our hashing algorithms are reachable by some valid input.  So, addresses where the private key has been lost are fundamentally different from addresses that never had a private key to begin with.  Thus, coins sent to the bitcoin eater are "more lost" than coins sent to bitomat depost addresses.

Physics won't let us iterate all possible private keys, but if we could, we are sure to find the bitomat coins.  We aren't sure at all that we'll find the bitcoin eater coins.

17Np17BSrpnHCZ2pgtiMNnhjnsWJ2TMqq8
I routinely ignore posters with paid advertising in their sigs.  You should too.
fbueller

Activity: 412
Merit: 275

View Profile
March 12, 2014, 08:15:06 PM

https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Script#Provably_Unspendable.2FPrunable_Outputs

There is a way in the protocol to 'destroy' coins. By setting your scriptPubKey in your raw transaction to OP_RETURN then the people will never be able to create an acceptable transaction to redeem these funds.

Bitwasp Developer.
teukon
Legendary

Activity: 1246
Merit: 1004

View Profile
March 12, 2014, 10:05:37 PM

Since we are all repeating what always is said in these threads, I'll add my 2 cents.

I want to play too.

Lost coins only make everyone else's coins worth slightly more.  Think of it as a donation to everyone.
Amitabh S
Legendary

Activity: 1001
Merit: 1003

View Profile
March 13, 2014, 02:12:54 AM

An even more guaranteed way to destroy coins:

Mine a block. Make sure the sum of fee and reward is less than the output of the coinbase tx.
 The difference is effectively destroyed.

Coinsecure referral ID: https://coinsecure.in/signup/refamit (use this link to signup)
ning

Activity: 173

View Profile
March 13, 2014, 01:28:38 PM

Sending the coins as a large fee benefits one lucky miner; sending the coins to a "black hole" address benefits all the people who use Bitcoin, because by deflating the currency, the value of everyone's coin increases slightly.
cbeast
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1736
Merit: 1006

Let's talk governance, lipstick, and pigs.

View Profile
March 13, 2014, 01:33:02 PM

"Bitcoin, we need to talk. It's not you, it's me. We need to take a break and see other people. Excuse me, I have a date with Litecoin."

Any significantly advanced cryptocurrency is indistinguishable from Ponzi Tulips.
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: