Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 01:37:45 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Warning: One or more bitcointalk.org users have reported that they strongly believe that the creator of this topic is a scammer. (Login to see the detailed trust ratings.) While the bitcointalk.org administration does not verify such claims, you should proceed with extreme caution.
Pages: « 1 ... 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 [67] 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 ... 417 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [BCN] Bytecoin. Secure, private, untraceable since 2012  (Read 1070028 times)
Rias

Activity: 373
Merit: 250

View Profile
May 19, 2014, 01:25:47 PM

Also if you want to work out the age of the chain, this might not be exact for actual age in years, but its timed in years as that is how much has been mined, to give you an idea.

Please let me know if I screw up the calculation.

Bytecoin height: 483532

Target: 120 seconds.

Chain age = (120 seconds * 483,532 blocks) = 58,023,840 seconds.

58,023,840 seconds = 967,064 minutes.

967,064 minutes = 16,117.733 hours.

16,117.733 hours = 671.5 days.

671.5 = 1.83 years.

1.83 years old block chain is something, which is very close to the launch date of July 4, 2012.

I have no idea why people are supporting this one over a fairer release (Monero)

I have an idea on that. I support the coin because Bytecoin was developed by someone who is capable of creating breakthrough innovations. The coin is alive, the devs are still contributing. I prefer supporting the team, which has the expertise to push this technology forward. After all, there wouldn't be Monero at all if there was no Bytecoin.

The word "fair" is highly subjective. Fair for whom? It's the information asymmetry that drives our world. If nobody bothered to notify you personally on the release of a brilliant new technology, it doesn't make the launch unfair. I've been writing already that there was something in Monero's backyard, so here we have QCN. This story will always be recursive as there're always be those that are dissatisfied with distribution of wealth, resources, or knowledge.

And you know, it doesn't really bother me which CryptoNote coin succeeds. The more significant thing is to keep innovative track. I hope Monero will join this real race, not the imaginary one.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The forum strives to allow free discussion of any ideas. All policies are built around this principle. This doesn't mean you can post garbage, though: posts should actually contain ideas, and these ideas should be argued reasonably.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Edgecrusher

Activity: 10
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 19, 2014, 01:34:18 PM

Please vote BCN on MintPal so it can make it to that exchange!

https://www.mintpal.com/voting#BCN
Rias

View Profile
May 19, 2014, 02:02:58 PM

./minerd  -a cryptonight -o http://bcn.extremepool.org:5555 -u <address> -p x -t <# of threads>

Thank you, 33zer0w0lf, mining does work! Although I had to google some dependencies in order to compile the miner.

Code:
sudo apt-get install -y build-essential automake libcurl4-openssl-dev pkg-config
git clone https://github.com/LucasJones/cpuminer-multi.git
cd cpuminer-multi
./autogen.sh
./configure CFLAGS="-O3"
make

and after the compilation, just like you've said:

Code:
./minerd  -a cryptonight -o http://bcn.extremepool.org:5555 -u <BCN-address> -p x -t <#-of-threads>
sgk
Legendary

Activity: 1470
Merit: 1002

!! HODL !!

View Profile
May 19, 2014, 02:03:39 PM

I have no idea why people are supporting this one over a fairer release (Monero)

I have an idea on that. I support the coin because Bytecoin was developed by someone who is capable of creating breakthrough innovations. The coin is alive, the devs are still contributing. I prefer supporting the team, which has the expertise to push this technology forward. After all, there wouldn't be Monero at all if there was no Bytecoin.

The word "fair" is highly subjective. Fair for whom? It's the information asymmetry that drives our world. If nobody bothered to notify you personally on the release of a brilliant new technology, it doesn't make the launch unfair. I've been writing already that there was something in Monero's backyard, so here we have QCN. This story will always be recursive as there're always be those that are dissatisfied with distribution of wealth, resources, or knowledge.

And you know, it doesn't really bother me which CryptoNote coin succeeds. The more significant thing is to keep innovative track. I hope Monero will join this real race, not the imaginary one.

NOW WE'RE TALKING!! Smiley

This thread is full of posts that suggest people to mine Monero over BCN, but I have always steered clear of them and have told them to leave this thread alone.
I don't support BCN clones for the same reason I don't support Bitcoin clones.

Creating a clone and brag about 'fair distribution' is easy. Come to me when you 'innovate' something and you've got my hash power.
drawingthesun
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1015

View Profile
May 19, 2014, 02:12:35 PM

This thread is full of posts that suggest people to mine Monero over BCN, but I have always steered clear of them and have told them to leave this thread alone.

Creating a clone and brag about 'fair distribution' is easy. Come to me when you 'innovate' something and you've got my hash power.

Sure thing, and what you're doing is ok. (as long as you don't deceive people)

I just want people to know what they are getting into.

If a newcomer is ok mining a coin with 80% pre-mine then cool, but please don't deceive them!

If you guys add to the Bytecoin homepage and the front page of this thread:

"Bytecoin has been mined for 1.8 years but was only made known to the world a few months ago. Enjoy the ride"

Then I will leave your thread alone!
Brilliantrocket

Activity: 826
Merit: 500

View Profile
May 19, 2014, 02:15:51 PM

Is there any development going on for this coin?
fr0wn3r

Activity: 75
Merit: 10

View Profile
May 19, 2014, 02:23:31 PM

pooler cpuminer 2.3.3 is the latest for Win7 x64, right?
Rias

View Profile
May 19, 2014, 02:27:29 PM

Sure thing, and what you're doing is ok. (as long as you don't deceive people)

I just want people to know what they are getting into.

If a newcomer is ok mining a coin with 80% pre-mine then cool, but please don't deceive them!

If you guys add to the Bytecoin homepage and the front page of this thread:

"Bytecoin has been mined for 1.8 years but was only made known to the world a few months ago. Enjoy the ride"

Then I will leave your thread alone!

Lol.

I'm not sure anybody in this thread controls the website. Moreover, it has "2 years" on the very top. And speaking about "known to the world", it is not equal to "known to me", right?
BoscoMurray

Activity: 450

View Profile
May 19, 2014, 02:29:00 PM

And after Monero was supposedly instamined they switched to Quazarcoin
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=600658.0

And the story goes on and on and on, just like with hundreds of forks.

This is not an official announcement, the coin existed prior to March when DStrange started this topic. The coins were mined in almost already 2 years.

Where does your information on pre-mine of Monero come from? Please cite a source.
Rias

View Profile
May 19, 2014, 02:31:31 PM

33zer0w0lf,
I've got something very weird going on BCN's new pool: http://bcn.extremepool.org

My hash rate jumps up and down from 20 h/s to median 200-300 h/s and even sometimes up to 900 h/s.

I also see that the pool's total hash rate is also jumping up and down. Is it a bug? What could be the reason? Thank you!
surfer43

Activity: 560

"Trading Platform of The Future!"

View Profile
May 19, 2014, 02:33:16 PM

33zer0w0lf,
I've got something very weird going on BCN's new pool: http://bcn.extremepool.org

My hash rate jumps up and down from 20 h/s to median 200-300 h/s and even sometimes up to 900 h/s.

I also see that the pool's total hash rate is also jumping up and down. Is it a bug? What could be the reason? Thank you!
It is a bug in the pool software where sometimes the same share is submitted many times. That causes individual and pool hashrate to fluctuate a lot. A stratum pool is being worked on which will fix these bugs.
drawingthesun
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1015

View Profile
May 19, 2014, 02:36:26 PM

This is not an official announcement, the coin existed prior to March when DStrange started this topic. The coins were mined in almost already 2 years.

Where does your information on pre-mine of Monero come from? Please cite a source.

Not sure where his source is, this is my calculation:

Monero block height is 46,000 with 1 min blocks.

46,000 min / hours / days = 32 days.

Not sure how much of a pre-mine that is, the coin has been out for 3 weeks.

Look at Bytecoin though, they have been out in the clear for 9 weeks yet have over 1.8 years worth of blocks.
smooth
Legendary

Activity: 2968
Merit: 1198

View Profile
May 19, 2014, 02:37:07 PM

There is no source. There was no premine or instamine.

The issue involved someone, apparently in Russia (Russian language forum site), who discovered that the bytecoin miner (subsequently cloned to MRO) had apparently been de-optimized prior to public release and could be made several times faster with relatively simple changes. It was one of the MRO developers (NoodleDoodle) who promptly released an un-deoptmized miner (subsequently back ported to bytecoin), and later released additional optimizations.

You won't find a more fair launch of any coin no will you find team behind a coin with more integrity than the Monero team in my opinion (though as a minor disclaimer, I don't know all of them outside of our work on Monero -- the work on Monero has been 100% above board and community-focused).

smooth
Legendary

View Profile
May 19, 2014, 02:41:23 PM

Not sure where his source is, this is my calculation:

Monero block height is 46,000 with 1 min blocks.

46,000 min / hours / days = 32 days.

Not sure how much of a pre-mine that is, the coin has been out for 3 weeks.

The coin launched on April 18, so 32 days is almost exactly on the nose.

There was a public announcement a week before.

Look at Bytecoin though, they have been out in the clear for 9 weeks yet have over 1.8 years worth of blocks.
Rias

View Profile
May 19, 2014, 02:46:27 PM

My concern with Monero is that optimized miner was always closed-source until a week in production. It happened each time the optimization takes place.

However, this is not a Monero thread, as far as I know.
BitRock

Activity: 137
Merit: 100

View Profile
May 19, 2014, 02:57:20 PM

The issue involved someone, apparently in Russia (Russian language forum site), who discovered that the bytecoin miner (subsequently cloned to MRO) had apparently been de-optimized prior to public release and could be made several times faster with relatively simple changes. It was one of the MRO developers (NoodleDoodle) who promptly released an un-deoptmized miner (subsequently back ported to bytecoin), and later released additional optimizations.

You won't find a more fair launch of any coin no will you find team behind a coin with more integrity than the Monero team in my opinion (though as a minor disclaimer, I don't know all of them outside of our work on Monero -- the work on Monero has been 100% above board and community-focused).

What is the reason that the bytecoin miner had been de-optimized prior to public release?
smooth
Legendary

View Profile
May 19, 2014, 02:59:13 PM

What is the reason that the bytecoin miner had been de-optimized prior to public release?

Ask the bytecoin developers. Oh wait, they're hiding somewhere.

We can't prove this 100%, but several highly qualified programmers (including at least one not associated in any way with the Monero project) have looked at the code and found it difficult to accept any other explanation. Draw your own conclusions.

Rias

View Profile
May 19, 2014, 03:00:58 PM

Ask the devs. All I know is that there was no "public release" as you see it.
Rias

View Profile
May 19, 2014, 03:01:52 PM

I have a problem with the Mac version. Each time I try to start simplewallet it returns this error:

Code:
Error: wallet failed to connect to daemon (http://localhost:8081). Daemon either is not started or passed wrong port. Please, make sure that daemon is running or restart the wallet with correct daemon address.

Why is it so?

Obvious question: do you have dytecoind running (Bytecoin daemon) and synchronized?
smooth
Legendary

View Profile
May 19, 2014, 03:03:10 PM

My concern with Monero is that optimized miner was always closed-source until a week in production. It happened each time the optimization takes place.

There was no closed source release of anything from the Monero project. It has all been released on github, when practical with accompanying Windows, Mac and Linux binaries. We can't control what everyone else does, but we have certainly encouraged optimized miner developers to share them, in one case offering a bounty (though it turned out not to be necessary as we independently developed comparable optimizations).

We're released two rounds of miner optimizations in open source, improving on the original bytecoin miner by approximately 10x (hardware dependent).

Pages: « 1 ... 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 [67] 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 ... 417 »
  Print  

Jump to: