Bitcoin Forum
April 20, 2024, 08:01:45 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Warning: One or more bitcointalk.org users have reported that they strongly believe that the creator of this topic is a scammer. (Login to see the detailed trust ratings.) While the bitcointalk.org administration does not verify such claims, you should proceed with extreme caution.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 [15] 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 ... 417 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [BCN] Bytecoin. Secure, private, untraceable since 2012  (Read 1070025 times)
abit2slo

Activity: 80
Merit: 10

View Profile
April 09, 2014, 07:34:57 PM

New music on bytecoin.org, plus a shout-out to danteT!

For our good friend danteT

that's music danteT told yesterday about. rocky balboa.
i think it's a sign that they know about us and our discussion here
and that guy, godimtired, offered me to buy all my BCN again but with higher price. someone wants to hide bytecoin back, doesn't he?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
eizh

Activity: 560
Merit: 500

View Profile
April 09, 2014, 07:49:07 PM

and that guy, godimtired, offered me to buy all my BCN again but with higher price. someone wants to hide bytecoin back, doesn't he?

We should let them have it and support thankful's fork as a non-deepweb version of it.
danteT

Activity: 120
Merit: 100

View Profile
April 09, 2014, 07:53:54 PM

New music on bytecoin.org, plus a shout-out to danteT!

For our good friend danteT

that's music danteT told yesterday about. rocky balboa.

Yes, i think it is a sign that devs are watching us.

x0rcist

Activity: 238

View Profile
April 09, 2014, 08:00:27 PM
Last edit: April 09, 2014, 08:45:31 PM by x0rcist

Yes, i think it is a sign that devs are watching us.
or did you solve the puzzle and cannot tell?  Grin

anyway, great to see they are monitoring this thread.

I disagree 100%. The entire purpose of CryptoNight is to maintain decentralization within the network, something that bitcoin failed at miserably (and perhaps intentionally). CryptoNight is designed to have a linear cost/profit growth curve, so having better hardware is still advantageous, but the miners with the deepest pockets don't automatically get all the wealth.

I also fail to see how botnets are a greater issue than, say, large mining pools controlling more than 50% of the network. The biggest protection to botnets is lots and lots of miners, which should be much easier with an egalitarian pow algo like CryptoNight and easy, low-barrier mining tools that anyone can use.

I agree with keeping CryptoNight, would be pointless to switch back to scrypt or even x11 (which is nothing more then a changed quark protocol and without proper fix for the diff bug). I would even agree if there would be no stratum support at all so people have to solomine. This would make it even harder for the botnets because they would have to sync the whole blockchain. And tbh, i dont support botnets but they are a good thing when it comes to decentralization...

PS. i hope you guys all know that you can use different pc's to mine to 1 wallet.
abit2slo

Activity: 80
Merit: 10

View Profile
April 09, 2014, 08:06:10 PM

We should let them have it and support thankful's fork as a non-deepweb version of it.

i don't support this idea with forking. we are free to do it, but should we?
adam back said every cryptocoin "need a reason for existence; but to make you rich is not a reason"
the fact that we are a little bit late to this train is not a reason at all too. cause there will always be somebody who is late.

smooth
Legendary

Activity: 2968
Merit: 1198

View Profile
April 09, 2014, 08:15:09 PM

adam back said every cryptocoin "need a reason for existence; but to make you rich is not a reason"
the fact that we are a little bit late to this train is not a reason at all too. cause there will always be somebody who is late.

The question is whether there actually is a train.

If it is just a few people holding the existing coins but no real development of a market, that is nothing but a preminel which is the worst case of 'to make you rich.' If the coin actually has significant adoption, value and usage (even if not apparent right now), then I agree with what you said.

The other valid point in favor of a fork would be whether a design that promotes CPU mining is actually a good idea. I happen to personally reject the argument that botnets are a problem, but I see it as a valid argument.
x0rcist

View Profile
April 09, 2014, 08:15:59 PM

Another thing im struggling with for a few days. Did anyone managed to get the simpleminer working? I cant seem to find a way to pass credentials, even after generating key pairs etc. A dive in the source code to see what args can be passed leaded me to nothing as i cannot lock the deamon for using a key pair..
eizh

View Profile
April 09, 2014, 08:19:59 PM

Showing up late is one thing -- most people on this forum were "late" to BTC relative to its 5-year history. But this wasn't even made available to the general public until 80% of the supply was mined. That's qualitatively different and delegitimizes it in my eyes. It's also just plain bad for market confidence because the history is unknown. That said, I'm sure BCN can continue on successfully for whatever deepweb markets it serves. For us, it makes sense to start afresh for active development and transparency. The parameters could also have been better chosen (longer mining horizon) and I personally don't think CPU-only mining is secure.
smooth
Legendary

View Profile
April 09, 2014, 08:29:24 PM

Showing up late is one thing -- most people on this forum were "late" to BTC relative to its 5-year history. But this wasn't even made available to the general public until 80% of the supply was mined. That's qualitatively different and delegitimizes it in my eyes. It's also just plain bad for market confidence because the history is unknown. That said, I'm sure BCN can continue on successfully for whatever deepweb markets it serves. For us, it makes sense to start afresh for active development and transparency. The parameters could also have been better chosen (longer mining horizon) and I personally don't think CPU-only mining is secure.

There is a valid argument that bitcoin is still not available to "the general public" because it is too complicated and hard to use. In that sense we are all early adopters (i.e. insiders) who collectively own ~60% of the coins.

The dark net is a bit more obscure than the bitcoin community but from the point of view of the non-technical general public the difference is not so large.

Whether this alleged dark net adoption actually exists is another question. It may well be that the mining schedule is too fast, but I don't know.
x0rcist

View Profile
April 09, 2014, 08:30:51 PM

Im still a big supporter of the idea that PoW mining is the biggest flaw in the whole crypto industry. A technology like Proof of Time (TimeKoin does this in some sort of way) would be the most honest solution till date. Also CPU mining is as secure as other algo's, but when Quantum computers appear none of the current algo's are secure.
thankful_for_today

Activity: 126
Merit: 101

View Profile
April 09, 2014, 08:55:42 PM

Hi!

Here is an announcement of new currency based on CryptoNote with a list of things (still incomplete) I plan to change: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=563821.0

Welcome to discuss Wink

Vote for BitMonero on Comkort exchange: https://comkort.com/vote
BTC: 1F1Ryrc2gvJQsVNTS5xvCxKugMjvbFRzX4
graphfox

Activity: 57
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 09, 2014, 09:52:16 PM

I would like to know if maybe this 'premine' is somehow meant to be distributed to the international community. If they don't sell them cheap, they'll give them away for free? It would eliminate the stigma of Bitcoin being 95% owned by western, upper middle class men.
smooth
Legendary

View Profile
April 09, 2014, 09:58:05 PM

I would like to know if maybe this 'premine' is somehow meant to be distributed to the international community. If they don't sell them cheap, they'll give them away for free? It would eliminate the stigma of Bitcoin being 95% owned by western, upper middle class men.

I agree there could very well be legitimacy to it (and I have said so on several of these threads). But unless they come out and tell us or show us, we can only assume there isn't. Legitimacy doesn't work according to benefit of the doubt. Put up or shut up.

graphfox

Activity: 57

View Profile
April 09, 2014, 10:03:34 PM
Last edit: April 09, 2014, 10:48:13 PM by graphfox

I agree there could very well be legitimacy to it (and I have said so on several of these threads). But unless they come out and tell us or show us, we can only assume there isn't. Legitimacy doesn't work according to benefit of the doubt. Put up or shut up.

Yep. We can only hope they have secrets, never mind whether or not they will share them. The possibilities themselves are so compelling, though.
x0rcist

View Profile
April 09, 2014, 10:03:52 PM
Last edit: April 10, 2014, 09:36:07 AM by x0rcist

Interesting theory. It would be plausible because of the high number of total coins, the adoption and the final fairness of Bytecoin. But then again, why would they if they already have a economy running on it (ps. it can be distraction or just tests those tx's) and how would they distribute and make it available to less techie people on this planet? Some timeline about future plans from the Bytecoin Team would be nice, even if only some hints about their final direction.
lenam

Activity: 44

View Profile
April 10, 2014, 01:46:30 PM

First off, thanks for the coins  Wink

This coin is really easy to mine, especially with Minergate. Every newbee can do this within 3 minutes.
So the masses could do this without a problem.
I had to struggle much longer to get any other miner up and running. This quite explains itself.

Setting up the client is also not very difficult compared to bitcoin etc. Yet commandline is not meant for the masses.

It will be the "easy to use" software that will be adopted by ordinary people. The highly technical stuff where you have to put a lot of effort into "getting it" will not be used until there is a easy solution.

Yet easily minable is not most likely what makes a coin succeed ? Or is it ? Especially if most of the coins have already be mined.

How long does it take for an transaction to be confirmed ? How many transaction/s could be made with this ? Does it scale ?
Who did the premining ? (I mean those 2 years when only a few knew about bytecoin )

Already Top Ten Coin ?!
Market Cap at the moment: 37000 BTC ~ 15m $

[ Short calculation:
There are ~185 e9 coins
5m coins go for around 1 btc in the google exchange document
185e9 / 5e6 equals 37000 BTC ~ 15m $ ]

x0rcist

View Profile
April 10, 2014, 02:47:00 PM
Last edit: April 21, 2014, 09:52:29 PM by x0rcist

Secondly, and this is quite a bit of a reach by me, after taking a look at the mining hardware comparison and noting the layout of the white paper . . I see mainly Intel cpu's and technical writing format generally used in educational institutions. Yes, I'm saying that the lack of AMD cpu performance helped lead me to the conclusion.

There's a few more things, but nothing that I'd even feel like it would make a difference right now.

I mentioned this before but i guess it's somewhere lost in the thread and all exitement going on about the technology but:
eizh

View Profile
April 10, 2014, 03:18:32 PM

Secondly, and this is quite a bit of a reach by me, after taking a look at the mining hardware comparison and noting the layout of the white paper . . I see mainly Intel cpu's and technical writing format generally used in educational institutions. Yes, I'm saying that the lack of AMD cpu performance helped lead me to the conclusion.

There's a few more things, but nothing that I'd even feel like it would make a difference right now.

I mentioned this before but i guess it's somewhere lost in the thread and all exitement going on about the technology but:

The domain cryptonote.org was registered less then 1 year ago, in that time it hosted a encrypted message application called; CryptoNote. This application is developed by a member of the Stanford Bitcoin Group. Now it hosts the CryptoNote used in Bytecoin. So unless the domain was dropped, there wouldnt be a direct lead but this is not the fact, it looks like it was transferred internal. It would make sense for what we all think, there are academic people involved in this project Smiley I guess we will get our answers eventually. Also the onion site mentioned a mail address for emmergency's with a real name. So i guess its not as dark and deep as we all think and the devs of CN and BCN are really trying to make the world a better place with privacy as one of their biggest concerns (especially when you live in the US)

Interesting. I'm at Stanford and could go bug them for answers but they don't have an office listed.

By the way, are my only two options with this coin solo mining and that closed-source mingergate program? For all we know, minergate's sole purpose is to steal our wallet.bin and keep BCN confined to the deepweb. Tongue
x0rcist

View Profile
April 10, 2014, 03:31:45 PM
Last edit: April 10, 2014, 05:37:49 PM by x0rcist

Interesting. I'm at Stanford and could go bug them for answers but they don't have an office listed.

By the way, are my only two options with this coin solo mining and that closed-source mingergate program? For all we know, minergate's sole purpose is to steal our wallet.bin and keep BCN confined to the deepweb. Tongue

If they want to come out then let them do by themself, harresing people that are primarly focused on keeping low profile would only harm the project. Also there are much more people involved, i did some checking on peers from the past and they are from all around the world (germany, philiphines, china etc etc) so this project seems global and not local to some university.

About the mining; you know you can use the deamon to mine to another wallet? bytecoind --start-mining address, this way you can setup a personal pool (if you have enough resources like cloud mining etc)

Yeah, I tend to agree with you in that it seems legit. I'm sorry I didn't mention you thought the same about academics. Didn't you also guess the PW and find the message first too? Seems you're excellent at this.
I just like to know details with what im dealing with. It wasn't that hard to find out and maybe it was only used to create a little more mystery about the project. Mystery drives people Wink

What I'd really like information about most recently is MinerGate and why I get ignored every time I ask for source code. Assuming nothing weird is going on, maybe trying to prevent a botnet from taking root with a standalone miner and all?
Personally i think they are part of the team as they have a working stratum\getwork implementation for bytecoin. Also the miner seems based on the simpleminer included in the source. So the only thing that keeps us away from also setting up a working pool is the stratum\getwork implementation and proper share counting Roll Eyes i will try later tonight if i can get the included simpleminer working with minergate.

Code:
2014-Apr-10 17:30:10.478272 Connected 207.244.77.149:5555 OK
2014-Apr-10 17:30:10.487981 READ ENDS: Success. bytes_tr: 160
2014-Apr-10 17:30:10.488075 -->>http_stream_filter::parse_cached_header(*)
2014-Apr-10 17:30:10.488160 <<--http_stream_filter::parse_cached_header(*)
2014-Apr-10 17:30:10.490564 READ ENDS: Success. bytes_tr: 407
2014-Apr-10 17:30:17.943632 Share found: nonce=20226c6f for job=22903801-1137-4ddc-850b-c91db11452ae, submitting...
2014-Apr-10 17:30:18.073654 READ ENDS: Success. bytes_tr: 154
2014-Apr-10 17:30:18.073701 -->>http_stream_filter::parse_cached_header(*)
2014-Apr-10 17:30:18.073756 <<--http_stream_filter::parse_cached_header(*)
2014-Apr-10 17:30:18.075924 READ ENDS: Success. bytes_tr: 104
2014-Apr-10 17:30:18.075991 ERROR /root/bytecoin/contrib/epee/include/storages/http_abstract_invoke.h:112 RPC call of "submit" returned error: -19, message: Invalid share
2014-Apr-10 17:30:18.076021 Failed to submit share! disconnect and sleep....

Guess the error has something todo with the diff or share size, dunno. I guess we'll have to wait untill it gets implemented in the available code. Also the simple miner looks single threaded so not of much use.
thankful_for_today

Activity: 126
Merit: 101

View Profile
April 10, 2014, 05:37:55 PM

Hi!

Here is an announcement of new currency based on CryptoNote with a list of things (still incomplete) I plan to change: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=563821.0

Welcome to discuss Wink

Short news about second CryptoNote-based currency (i.e. Bytecoin fork):

1. An [ANN] topic is translated to Portuguese by anonimus: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=563927.0

This is a great start of translation compain. Let's translate it to other languages!

2. Bytecoin/CryptoNote team has updated API pages:
https://wiki.bytecoin.org/wiki/JSON_RPC_API and https://wiki.bytecoin.org/wiki/Category:High_level_API
This API will be supported also in the new blockchain.

3. A donation address for fork development is added to [ANN] post ( BCN: 27swAkuqXB2M2YNhxjP9qngei9iRdTsH6b2PX7K4ffpugpf3hqiuRUUQvKLxny2iE1hbUANgF81CXL2 v3AiB45v7SmRaPGd ). Donations will be spent to pay hosting and other similar expences.

Vote for BitMonero on Comkort exchange: https://comkort.com/vote
BTC: 1F1Ryrc2gvJQsVNTS5xvCxKugMjvbFRzX4
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 [15] 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 ... 417 »
  Print  

Jump to: