Bitcoin Forum
April 19, 2024, 11:26:46 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitcoin Sentiment Analysis  (Read 988 times)
SeaofBTC (OP)

Activity: 43
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
March 12, 2014, 04:14:48 PM

I do this mostly for stocks, but started doing it for bitcoin a bit ago out of fun/curiosity. I am pretty happy with how well it has turned out so far.

It takes a bit to load. It's a lot of data and I am not the best front-end dev, nor do I know someone who is. Expect to wait about a minute for it to load the actual chart.

It is the price on top, sentiment analysis on bottom. With bitcoin, a lot of times you'll see price actually lead sentiment. With stocks, as well as what appears to be with bitcoin, many of the price reductions are called in advance by sentiment, where the rises are usually lead by price...or insiders.

http://sentdex.com/bitcoin/

To save loading if you'd like, here's just an image of the current graph:
https://i.imgur.com/2or1qyo.png

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The Bitcoin network protocol was designed to be extremely flexible. It can be used to create timed transactions, escrow transactions, multi-signature transactions, etc. The current features of the client only hint at what will be possible in the future.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
bitjoint

Activity: 333
Merit: 250

Commander of the Hodl Legions

View Profile
March 12, 2014, 04:23:01 PM

Nice one... I started doing something similar using twitter's real-time stream API and Python's NLTK but never had the time to finish it and fine-tune the classifier...
SeaofBTC (OP)

View Profile WWW
March 12, 2014, 04:27:15 PM

Nice one... I started doing something similar using twitter's real-time stream API and Python's NLTK but never had the time to finish it and fine-tune the classifier...

Awesome, you should keep going! I've only seen one other sentiment analysis of bitcoin so far, boring market!

I also use python, though I don't use NLTK. I learned python with the NLTK book though. I knew I wanted to do this with stocks, and didn't know which language to use. I eventually had a friend show me that book so python became the language.
~Coinseeker~

Activity: 56

View Profile
March 12, 2014, 04:29:00 PM

Yeah it loads slow but it is really cool.
davidpbrown

Activity: 531
Merit: 260

Vires in Numeris

View Profile WWW
March 12, 2014, 04:35:44 PM

erm.. I want to see a correlation but I only see an idea?..

฿://12vxXHdmurFP3tpPk7bt6YrM3XPiftA82s
bitjoint

Activity: 333
Merit: 250

Commander of the Hodl Legions

View Profile
March 12, 2014, 04:49:41 PM

Awesome, you should keep going! I've only seen one other sentiment analysis of bitcoin so far, boring market!

I also use python, though I don't use NLTK. I learned python with the NLTK book though. I knew I wanted to do this with stocks, and didn't know which language to use. I eventually had a friend show me that book so python became the language.

Certainly this field will be further explored in the coming months/years. I also did it just out of curiosity. I'm not a trader, just a webdev with some python background, but I clearly see room for profit here. I mean, you just have to look to Google trends to see that 'bitcoin interest' = 'market response'.

http://www.google.com/trends/explore#q=bitcoin&date=today%2012-m&cmpt=q

erm.. I want to see a correlation but I only see an idea?..

Yeah, the idea is not new, what is most difficult is to fine-tune the Bayesian Classifier, you need to train your bots properly and separate the market sentiment. I bet with more time someone will come up with fine-tuned bots that predict the market with an astonishing accuracy, and in real-time...

http://glowingpython.blogspot.com.es/2013/04/real-time-twitter-analysis.html
SeaofBTC (OP)

View Profile WWW
March 14, 2014, 02:28:28 PM

Certainly this field will be further explored in the coming months/years. I also did it just out of curiosity. I'm not a trader, just a webdev with some python background, but I clearly see room for profit here. I mean, you just have to look to Google trends to see that 'bitcoin interest' = 'market response'.

http://www.google.com/trends/explore#q=bitcoin&date=today%2012-m&cmpt=q

Haha, yep. Some of the best indicators are the simplest. That one is good, I also measure chatter amount on Twitter and Stocktwits on bitcoin.

It doesn't seem to matter too much what the chatter is, barring very bad events like Gox. If there's a lot of discussion price is going up, at least so far. Eventually that will change once it is mainstream. For now, all press is good press, seems to be spreading curiosity for bitcoin. I know that's what brought me in.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: