Bitcoin Forum
May 12, 2024, 12:49:48 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: What is the INCENTIVE to work for the the Proof-of-Stake system?  (Read 125 times)
jimhash (OP)

Activity: 11
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
May 06, 2019, 11:47:33 PM
Last edit: October 06, 2023, 06:59:47 PM by jimhash

Smiley

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Adriano2010

Activity: 1414
Merit: 516

View Profile WWW
May 07, 2019, 12:23:36 AM

Hi everyone!

I feel like I have a pretty firm grasp of Proof-of-Work (POW) and am trying to understand Proof-of-Stake (POS) to the same degree.

Boiling down both of these different types of validations, I feel like it is fair to say:

• With POW, security is predicated on the incentive to work for the system (as honest nodes). Aka "The race to reward"
  • With POS security is predicated on the disincentive to work against the system (as dishonest nodes).

What I'm wondering about POS is:

What is the incentive in POS to work for the system as an honest node and lock up a signifiant amount of native funds (for 30 or more days potentially) in hopes of being selected as a validator sometime in the (near?) future?

Thanks in advance for any guidance on this question.

If you reffer to crypto coins then the PoS altgorithm is giving rewards, new coin every day depending how many coins you hold on wallet and the coins are not locked for 30 days and you can use all coins when you want.
Tipstar

Activity: 1764
Merit: 280

Smart World Global Token

View Profile
May 11, 2019, 08:54:36 AM

Hi everyone!

I feel like I have a pretty firm grasp of Proof-of-Work (POW) and am trying to understand Proof-of-Stake (POS) to the same degree.

Boiling down both of these different types of validations, I feel like it is fair to say:

• With POW, security is predicated on the incentive to work for the system (as honest nodes). Aka "The race to reward"
  • With POS security is predicated on the disincentive to work against the system (as dishonest nodes).

What is the incentive in POS to work for the system as an honest node and lock up a signifiant amount of native funds (for 30 or more days potentially) in hopes of being selected as a validator sometime in the (near?) future?

https://cointelegraph.com/news/casper-what-is-known-about-the-new-ethereums-network-upgrade

The validator node that solves a block would get the transaction fees of the block as a reward. Though the reward would be lesser, so would be the energy consumption and effort made in solving it.

.SWG.io.

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄

▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄

▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█

``█████████████████▄▄
``````▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄████▄
````````````````````▀██▄
```▀▀▀▀``▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▄███
``````▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄``▄███
``▄▄▄▄▄▄▄```▄▄▄▄▄``▄███
``````````````````▄██▀
```````````████████████▄
````````````````````▀▀███
`````````▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▄████
```▄▄▄``▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄`````███
`▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄``▄▄▄▄▄▄`````███
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▀████
```````````````````▄▄████
``▀▀▀▀▀``▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀█████
██``███████████████▀▀

FIRST LISTING
CONFIRMED

semes

Activity: 713
Merit: 31

View Profile
May 11, 2019, 09:13:10 AM

Hi everyone!

If you reffer to crypto coins then the PoS altgorithm is giving rewards, new coin every day depending how many coins you hold on wallet and the coins are not locked for 30 days and you can use all coins when you want.

Actually some staking poll lock your tokens for a while. Some of them locks 2 days, some other more than 2 days. For example can you give me how can you get back your IOST tokens when you want?
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: