Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 08:14:10 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Paxful sent my BTC to a different address?  (Read 432 times)
AdolfinWolf
Legendary

Activity: 1946
Merit: 1427

View Profile
April 18, 2019, 01:43:15 PM

If bitcoins were sent into different address then you most likely do have that malware (clipboard) ones which have been known in the past.

Ive been asking too on the same thing on posting up some screenshots on where these funds being sent out so that everyone would compared on what part you went wrong.
This is most likely what happend. Maybe it wasn't exactly clipboard malware (since that is visible), but rather an addon on your browser which edited the input of the adress to theirs (1.. instead of the 3.. one), and modified the client side to make it look like you were still "sending" to your own adress.

They probably didn't care enough to also edit the data you received back from Paxful, (as that would require very specific headers to be changed(too much work for them)) hence why in the description the actual adress you were sending money to was shown.

If i were you, i'd at the very least run some virus scans, and check for malicious browser plugins?

Thank you, I have contacted support and they will have an admin inspect if anything went wrong on there part... if they find nothing then I guess I have some sort of malware? I don't know how I could possibly have something like that since I am very careful but I guess I could be wrong.
Yes. Please run some virus scans and check your browser plugins/addons.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The trust scores you see are subjective; they will change depending on who you have in your trust list.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
revv (OP)

Activity: 100
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 19, 2019, 04:14:04 AM

If bitcoins were sent into different address then you most likely do have that malware (clipboard) ones which have been known in the past.

Ive been asking too on the same thing on posting up some screenshots on where these funds being sent out so that everyone would compared on what part you went wrong.
This is most likely what happend. Maybe it wasn't exactly clipboard malware (since that is visible), but rather an addon on your browser which edited the input of the adress to theirs (1.. instead of the 3.. one), and modified the client side to make it look like you were still "sending" to your own adress.

They probably didn't care enough to also edit the data you received back from Paxful, (as that would require very specific headers to be changed(too much work for them)) hence why in the description the actual adress you were sending money to was shown.

If i were you, i'd at the very least run some virus scans, and check for malicious browser plugins?

Thank you, I have contacted support and they will have an admin inspect if anything went wrong on there part... if they find nothing then I guess I have some sort of malware? I don't know how I could possibly have something like that since I am very careful but I guess I could be wrong.
Yes. Please run some virus scans and check your browser plugins/addons.

Well after talking with support they told me to replicate what I did and record it, nothing happened this time, I also successfully bought and sent BTC again without this "malware" problem happening, its weird I am very careful what I look at on the web and links etc, I am very impressed if this is actually some kind of malware.
AdolfinWolf
Legendary

View Profile
April 19, 2019, 11:27:32 AM
Last edit: April 19, 2019, 11:41:20 AM by AdolfinWolf

Well after talking with support they told me to replicate what I did and record it, nothing happened this time, I also successfully bought and sent BTC again without this "malware" problem happening, its weird I am very careful what I look at on the web and links etc, I am very impressed if this is actually some kind of malware.
Wouldn't hurt to run some scans though, would it?

I don't really see what else it could be, other than a sloppy copy paste (which you already ruled out.)

Perhaps the malware only triggers on site X, for balance greater than y. I don't know.

but then after pressing send I noticed in the transaction description that it was sent to a totally different address... (1KsHQa735fPjZuYBeM713eHo7rGC3wAVuB),
You mean when you are about to make the transaction, and they ask you to look over the transaction once more because;
"All bitcoin transactions are final! Please double check receiver's bitcoin address before sending"
Or after you already made the transaction?
If it was before, i doubt Paxful made a mistake.

However, if it was after the fact, there might be a rare possibility that Paxful could've done something wrong? (Although i really doubt it.)

revv (OP)

View Profile
April 19, 2019, 11:53:24 AM

It just happened again! And this time I recorded it on video, here is the video... what do you think?

After getting this error message I close the window and refresh and my BTC are gone and sent to another address, rip :[

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FqOTtYOM3-k&feature=youtu.be

AdolfinWolf
Legendary

View Profile
April 19, 2019, 12:15:14 PM
Last edit: April 19, 2019, 12:43:58 PM by AdolfinWolf

It just happened again! And this time I recorded it on video, here is the video... what do you think?

After getting this error message I close the window and refresh and my BTC are gone and sent to another address, rip :[

Okay, now that i see this, it definitely looks like there's something wrong on Paxful's side of things.

You shouldn't be able to send the full amount of BTC in the first place, since paxful will need like 5% to pay the fees on your transaction, (atleast that's what happens always in my case. I'm always left with some arbitrary number like ~0.001 in dust. I've never had 0BTC on my account)

Which means that this transaction should've not even been possible in the first place, and is definitely some sort of internal tx...?

OR, after you entered your password and clicked send; it said the "Cannot send out less than X, excluding Y fees.", which means a transaction was already initiated?
Perhaps there is some sort malware which immediately initiated a transaction after you filled out your transaction/password, and was the 0.0000546 BTC what was left over.

But what's not explained is why your balance afterwards isn't 0.0000546, but 0.

It's kind of far-fetched.

revv (OP)

View Profile
April 19, 2019, 12:25:27 PM

Okay, now that i see this, it definitely looks like there's something wrong on Paxful's side of things.

You shouldn't be able to send the full amount of BTC in the first place, since paxful will need like 5% to pay the fees on your transaction, (atleast that's what happens always in my case. I'm always left with some arbitrary number like ~0.001 in dust. I've never had 0BTC on my account)

Which means that this transaction should've not even been possible in the first place, and is definitely some sort of internal tx...?

OR, after you entered your password and clicked send; it said the "Cannot send out less than X, excluding Y fees.", which means a transaction was already initiated?
Perhaps there is some sort malware which immediately initiated a transaction after you filled out your transaction, and was the 0.0000546 BTC what was left over.

But what's not explained is why your balance afterwards isn't 0.0000546, but 0.

It's kind of far-fetched.

Yea im not sure, I sent the video to support, well see what they have to say. I'l update when they do.
odolvlobo
Legendary

Activity: 4298
Merit: 3214

View Profile
April 20, 2019, 05:34:51 AM

That video explains a lot. It definitely looks like a bug in Paxful's software, but it could also be malware on your computer.

If it is a Paxful bug then perhaps it occurs when you try to send the full balance and there is not enough left over to pay the "network fee", and that confuses Paxful.

If it is malware, the malware is possibly intercepting your input and somehow inserting a request that sends the money to the scammer first, then Paxful gets your request and there is no money left, so it shows an error.

The wonky numbers in the error message ("Please add $-84.35 ...") lead me to believe that it is more likely to be a Paxful problem.

Join an anti-signature campaign: Click ignore on the members of signature campaigns.
PGP Fingerprint: 6B6BC26599EC24EF7E29A405EAF050539D0B2925 Signing address: 13GAVJo8YaAuenj6keiEykwxWUZ7jMoSLt
Patatas
Legendary

Activity: 1750
Merit: 1115

Providing AI/ChatGpt Services - PM!

View Profile
April 20, 2019, 06:43:20 AM

That video kinda explains it.. It definitely looks a bug from their side if whatever @Adolfin says about the 5% thing is correct. I'm afraid this could be a small portion of a big attack by a middleman. It's literally modifying the address on the server-side. This isn't supposed to happen for a reputed exchange like Paxful.

Watching this case.
FaucetKING

Activity: 1246
Merit: 306

C U

View Profile
April 21, 2019, 03:14:05 PM

I had an issue like this before.. I think that you might have a malware as some members have said.. This malware is somehow pasting another address when he detects a btc address. I don't think that paxful will ever think about scamming 80 usd.. Recheck your pc mate.. Hope that you will recover your lost funds.
revv (OP)

View Profile
April 21, 2019, 05:11:44 PM

I had an issue like this before.. I think that you might have a malware as some members have said.. This malware is somehow pasting another address when he detects a btc address. I don't think that paxful will ever think about scamming 80 usd.. Recheck your pc mate.. Hope that you will recover your lost funds.

Never said it had anything to do with Paxful trying to scam me for 80 usd.
revv (OP)

View Profile
April 22, 2019, 09:42:41 AM

Well apparently someone got access to my account and that's why, I still don't understand how having access to my account they where able to send my BTC to a different address like that?
Thirdspace

Activity: 1232
Merit: 738

Mixing reinvented for your privacy | chipmixer.com

View Profile
April 26, 2019, 11:15:40 PM

Well apparently someone got access to my account and that's why, I still don't understand how having access to my account they where able to send my BTC to a different address like that?
I think you have malware or rogue addon/extension on your computer
and the script steals your bitcoin by modifying withdraw request at the time you enter your password
that explains why the transaction happens only when you request withdraw not immediately after you made deposit
and this is why turning on 2FA email confirmation on withdrawal is important? doesn't Paxful have it?

revv (OP)

View Profile
June 01, 2019, 09:55:54 PM

I really doubt that I have some kind of malware but I could very well be wrong... could it also be that some of my usernames and passwords where sold or possibly hacked from a websites data base?

I use a lot of the same passwords/usernames for forums I browse etc...

Is that even a thing?

BTW an update on Paxful, since I changed my password I haven't had any problems.

And from looking at the logging on my Paxful account there was some foreign ip that did log in so that is probably what happened?
Mahanton

Activity: 2702
Merit: 626

View Profile
June 01, 2019, 11:30:10 PM

I really doubt that I have some kind of malware but I could very well be wrong... could it also be that some of my usernames and passwords where sold or possibly hacked from a websites data base?

I use a lot of the same passwords/usernames for forums I browse etc...

Is that even a thing?

BTW an update on Paxful, since I changed my password I haven't had any problems.

And from looking at the logging on my Paxful account there was some foreign ip that did log in so that is probably what happened?
Most likely the case if you do see some different ip address activity on your account then its definitely one of the reason why you have those indirect transactions on your account.
Good thing that you have changed up your password and just for an advise it is always been suggested on not to use the same passwords on any sites you are engage into.

R

▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██████▄▄
████████████████
▀▀▀▀█████▀▀▀█████
████████▌███▐████
▄▄▄▄█████▄▄▄█████
████████████████
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄██████▀▀
LLBIT|
4,000+ GAMES
███████████████████
██████████▀▄▀▀▀████