Bitcoin Forum
May 05, 2024, 03:42:52 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Help, restoring my wallet. Do i lose my btc?  (Read 2256 times)
DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1079

Gerald Davis

View Profile
November 15, 2011, 03:00:45 PM

I see now so beat this dead horse deader and to clarify ...

The client will only grab a new address from the keypool if you receive a payment on the address listed as "my address".  It will then change the "my address" to a new address from the keypool.

Seems like the client could be more efficient by flagging addresses in the wallet as "unused" and simply using those before getting new address from keypool but likely you are right it is a small edge case.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Even if you use Bitcoin through Tor, the way transactions are handled by the network makes anonymity difficult to achieve. Do not expect your transactions to be anonymous unless you really know what you're doing.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Meni Rosenfeld
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 2058
Merit: 1054

View Profile WWW
November 15, 2011, 03:28:02 PM

The client will only grab a new address from the keypool if you receive a payment on the address listed as "my address".  It will then change the "my address" to a new address from the keypool.
Right.

Seems like the client could be more efficient by flagging addresses in the wallet as "unused" and simply using those before getting new address from keypool but likely you are right it is a small edge case.
This won't work. Just because an address never received coins, doesn't mean it's unused. I could have posted it somewhere. If the client picks this address when I expect a fresh address, I'll be using the same address for two purposes.

1EofoZNBhWQ3kxfKnvWkhtMns4AivZArhr   |   Who am I?   |   bitcoin-otc WoT
Bitcoil - Exchange bitcoins for ILS (thread)   |   Israel Bitcoin community homepage (thread)
Analysis of Bitcoin Pooled Mining Reward Systems (thread, summary)  |   PureMining - Infinite-term, deterministic mining bond
DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1079

Gerald Davis

View Profile
November 15, 2011, 04:33:16 PM

Right.

This won't work. Just because an address never received coins, doesn't mean it's unused. I could have posted it somewhere. If the client picks this address when I expect a fresh address, I'll be using the same address for two purposes.

Good point.  I will try to update my post.
tlhonmey

Activity: 37
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 19, 2012, 09:05:56 PM

It sounds like your backup is going to be fine and have all your coins in it.  If it doesn't, and you haven't monkeyed with the corrupted disk too much, it is sometimes possible to recover files and data from a messed up disk.  Let us know if you need help with that.
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: