Bitcoin Forum
May 15, 2024, 07:25:41 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: without regulation of those exchanges, btc will never be in a high price  (Read 3496 times)
~Coinseeker~

Activity: 56
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 13, 2014, 06:45:36 PM

A poor regulatory framework is one of the big things holding the entire space back by preventing wonderful new startups, from building the much needed infrastructure.  People can say they don't want it and we should find different solutions but I don't see any solutions being proposed.  I just see a "lets do nothing and hope for the best" approach.  That's just not realistic if the digital currency space is ever going to see the masses jump on board.  
bananas

Activity: 364
Merit: 257

View Profile
March 13, 2014, 06:53:07 PM

high price is bad, always
rohnearner

Activity: 350
Merit: 252

REAL-EYES || REAL-IZE || REAL-LIES||

View Profile WWW
March 13, 2014, 06:55:52 PM

In favor of forced regulation, or voluntary? Your POV will not be respected if you force 2 people to follow a set of rules which they ordinarily wouldn't agree to.
there is a lot that we can do to improve bitcoins and make it better without compromising on the key features of bitcoin protocol ..! voluntary regulation gets my vote here..! but this is not the only concern we are surrounded with as BB[Bitcoin Believers]

bananas

Activity: 364
Merit: 257

View Profile
March 13, 2014, 07:37:33 PM

regulation is also bad, always
FelixOliver

Activity: 163
Merit: 100

View Profile
March 13, 2014, 08:07:20 PM

Regulation is why we are all subject to this draconian financial system... Same thing with the Oil industry... They use regulation to squash innovators who invented new means of powering cars i.e using water... We certainly don't need regulation at all...

I will vote yes for decentralization though, so that every part of the network can be truly peer-to-peer
Lauda
Legendary

Activity: 2674
Merit: 2965

Terminated.

View Profile WWW
March 13, 2014, 08:13:02 PM

You're waiting for the ETF?

"The Times 03/Jan/2009 Chancellor on brink of second bailout for banks"
😼 Bitcoin Core (onion)
~Coinseeker~

View Profile
March 13, 2014, 08:19:24 PM

Right because clean drinking water and safe food is highly overrated.  Who needs such things?   Roll Eyes
teukon
Legendary

Activity: 1246
Merit: 1004

View Profile
March 13, 2014, 08:34:04 PM

A poor regulatory framework is one of the big things holding the entire space back by preventing wonderful new startups, from building the much needed infrastructure.  People can say they don't want it and we should find different solutions but I don't see any solutions being proposed.  I just see a "lets do nothing and hope for the best" approach.

You have that entirely backwards.  Mandatory regulations inhibit startups and consequently retard competition.  They can be a boon in the short term, but are a curse in the long term.

Meanwhile, market forces are addressing the problem, to the extent that people want, as efficiently as possible, with no coercion.
~Coinseeker~

View Profile
March 13, 2014, 08:47:06 PM

A poor regulatory framework is one of the big things holding the entire space back by preventing wonderful new startups, from building the much needed infrastructure.  People can say they don't want it and we should find different solutions but I don't see any solutions being proposed.  I just see a "lets do nothing and hope for the best" approach.

You have that entirely backwards.  Mandatory regulations inhibit startups and consequently retard competition.  They can be a boon in the short term, but are a curse in the long term.

Meanwhile, market forces are addressing the problem, to the extent that people want, as efficiently as possible, with no coercion.

Bitcoin can't grow without access to fiat and that legal access is through regulations.  So as much as anyone may not like it, it's going to happen regardless.  Actually, it's already happening so, I guess these debates are really just for the fun of it because no one here has a say in the matter. 
rohnearner

Activity: 350
Merit: 252

REAL-EYES || REAL-IZE || REAL-LIES||

View Profile WWW
March 13, 2014, 08:47:32 PM

not always , may be in this case yes, but no regulation has its own down side too, ..! but we have to look for some solution, i mean if someone can come up  with an idea like bitcoin them some other can certainly come up with an strong Idea to make it better , there are already few good idea developed or in development to  make bitcoins better. .

teukon
Legendary

View Profile
March 13, 2014, 09:37:13 PM

Bitcoin can't grow without access to fiat and that legal access is through regulations.  So as much as anyone may not like it, it's going to happen regardless.  Actually, it's already happening so, I guess these debates are really just for the fun of it because no one here has a say in the matter. 

Sorry, I didn't see what you were getting at at first.  But still, it's not the inevitable regulations that will make it easier for new Bitcoin startups, it's the uncertainly about exactly how the use of Bitcoin will be regulated in various jurisdictions that is hindering startups.  The tougher the regulations are, the more competition will be stifled.
~Coinseeker~

View Profile
March 13, 2014, 09:42:32 PM

Sorry, I didn't see what you were getting at at first.  But still, it's not the inevitable regulations that will make it easier for new Bitcoin startups, it's the uncertainly about exactly how the use of Bitcoin will be regulated in various jurisdictions that is hindering startups.  The tougher the regulations are, the more competition will be stifled.

I certainly don't argue with any of that and there is much uncertainty and no real clarity other than "guidelines", so that indeed is making it tough. We need something sensible, concrete and based around this new tech.  Trying to force it into obsolete frameworks, just isn't going to work and if they continue to try that, that too will hinder startups because very few can afford the current regulatory requirements.  

teukon
Legendary

View Profile
March 13, 2014, 10:16:30 PM

Trying to force it into obsolete frameworks, just isn't going to work and if they continue to try that, that too will hinder startups because very few can afford the current regulatory requirements.  

+1

I concede that for most governments, issuing clear, light regulation would benefit the Bitcoin economy more than trying to shoehorn Bitcoin into current regulatory frameworks.  All I'm arguing is the lighter, the better, with no mandatory regulations being best of all.
corebob

Activity: 238

View Profile
March 13, 2014, 10:42:34 PM

How about this:

Govt will regulate certain exchanges.

And Bitcoin will continue to operate outside of Government as well.

I basically see both happening.

How?

Decentralized exchanges.

Folks - you must not be up to date on the latest news.   Please listen to Lets Talk Bitcoin podcast daily if you can.

There are Decentralized exchanges on the way which are not run by any human being.

They will operate outside of regulation.   People will have the choice to use regulated exchanges, or decentralized ones, I assume.

And because the decentralized ones are decentralized, they can't be shut down.

I think both will exist side by side.

Even if Bitcoin gets fully regulated, it will still operate underground on some level.

-B-

I can see a decentralized exchange doing coin2coin transfers, but are you saying we will see a decentralized exchange doing coin2fiat and fiat2coin (other than localbitcoins) as well?
~Coinseeker~

View Profile
March 14, 2014, 12:47:39 AM

Trying to force it into obsolete frameworks, just isn't going to work and if they continue to try that, that too will hinder startups because very few can afford the current regulatory requirements.  

+1

I concede that for most governments, issuing clear, light regulation would benefit the Bitcoin economy more than trying to shoehorn Bitcoin into current regulatory frameworks.  All I'm arguing is the lighter, the better, with no mandatory regulations being best of all.

Agreed.
subSTRATA
Legendary

Activity: 1288
Merit: 1043

:^)

View Profile
March 14, 2014, 02:14:16 AM

Wsup with this horde of noobs out of nowhere attempting to derail Bitcoin, make it and us bow to government will and similar bullshits? GTFO, fucks!

theres nothing here. message me if you want to put something here.
Cryddit
Legendary

Activity: 924
Merit: 1129

View Profile
March 14, 2014, 03:50:04 AM

Op has a point,although I don't think he's jumping to the right conclusion.  The best of all possible worlds is where we don't need political help to enforce anything we can get mathematics to enforce for us. 

The question is whether we can get mathematics to do the enforcement on the rules we actually want and whether the rules we can get mathematics to enforce are adequate to create a safe environment for doing business. 

I believe in the fairness of mathematics.  It's the same no matter who you are.  It doesn't cut deals, it doesn't break promises, and it never stops paying attention.  Whatever rules we need math is the best possible way to enforce them.

But the op is right that we need some additional kind of rules to prevent stuff like Gox.  I consider it a question of protocol and individual choices, not a question of law enforcement.

We need protocol to prevent exchanges from doing what Gox did.  And that's going to be more complicated than just digital cash.

If we can't figure out how to get math to do this enforcement,  then we will get stuck with police and politics,  or cryptocurrencies will fail completely.
cryptoanarchist
Legendary

Activity: 1120
Merit: 1003

View Profile
March 14, 2014, 04:59:30 AM

Right because clean drinking water and safe food is highly overrated.  Who needs such things?   Roll Eyes

So you would drink dirty water if it wasn't for the city supply? (which isn't very clean btw).

You sir, are obviously an idiot.

I'm grumpy!!
corebob

Activity: 238

View Profile
March 14, 2014, 07:41:00 AM

@OP

You talk about banks, but with the central bank gone, modern banks doesn't make much sense in my opinion.
If you mean "bank" as an entity that provides account, security and payment services for people and companies, those definitely needs to be "regulated", as in adhering to a set of rules.
Loans is an absurdity that our societies should not be based on, so that is out of the question as far as I am concerned.

Personally I think people and companies should educate them self to be their own bank, but I admit that may not work for everyone.
Elwar
Legendary

Activity: 3598
Merit: 2386

Viva Ut Vivas

View Profile WWW
March 14, 2014, 07:49:50 AM

Regulation = men with guns telling you what to do.

I could just as easily tell you what to do without a gun, will that appease you?

Why do you like being told what to do? Are you a masochist?

Or is it that you think other people should be told what to do at the point of a gun?

So you like to play God with other people's lives?

Here is a suggestion. How about if you spend less time worrying about how other people run their lives and focus on living your own.

First seastead company actually selling sea homes: Ocean Builders https://ocean.builders  Of course we accept bitcoin.
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: