Bitcoin Forum
May 21, 2024, 03:36:11 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Warning: One or more bitcointalk.org users have reported that they believe that the creator of this topic displays some red flags which make them high-risk. (Login to see the detailed trust ratings.) While the bitcointalk.org administration does not verify such claims, you should proceed with extreme caution.
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Gaining Access To Your Private Keys From Your Public Key - Possible?  (Read 138 times)
Bttzed03 (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 2114
Merit: 1149

https://bitcoincleanup.com/

View Profile
March 20, 2019, 04:18:09 PM

I've had this in mind before but never really delve into it that much and then I came across this article https://thecurrencyanalytics.com/5000/reverse-engineering-public-keys-of-crypto-can-soon-be-a-threat/

It is about reverse engineering, where the private keys which represent the control you have over your wallet. The public key is essentially your wallet which holds your crypto balances.

And therefore I think that is a real credible threat. Bitcoin is a public ledger; therefore, so you can go out and see the public keys which are holding the massive balances and you could go out and target the several hundreds or thousands of Bitcoin and say I’m going to spend my effort on the computing resource in order to reverse engineer the private key from the public key, which is exposed. I think that is even a near-term threat.

I do not know what are the chances of someone gaining access to your private keys from knowing your public keys or if it is even possible at all. To all technical guys here, please share your opinion/s.

I've already posted a similar topic in another forum before posting here.
cabron

Activity: 2828
Merit: 600

https://www.betcoin.ag

View Profile WWW
March 20, 2019, 04:23:10 PM

Not possible. If it is, everyone who did post their public key must have lost their funds already. Most of the time, those EOSbet holders are publishing their public key as sort of a Memo address inorder to receive tokens from the sender. Should we expect heist sooner? Public key is for encrypting like checking the sign message or so.

proTECH77

Activity: 1120
Merit: 30

Bisq Market Day - March 20th 2023

View Profile
March 20, 2019, 04:34:11 PM

To my best ability on Blockchain technology is much impossible for such hack to happen, although i can be proven wrong. Public key differs from what Private keys stands for. Few months back i did a close research on the two key to see how relatively close the two keys were but couldn't find a substantial evidence, although they are but cannot be check side by side.   

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄          bisq.network          ▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄
<<<<<<<<<<<Bisq Market Day - March 20th 2023 >>>>>>>>>>>>>>

▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀          DOWNLOAD    N O W           ▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
Osarman

Activity: 952
Merit: 503

View Profile
March 31, 2019, 08:43:22 PM

Public key and private key are 2 separate entities and one cannot have access to your private key by having access to your public key. Public key are used to monitor transactions done in your account, that means if anyone have access to your public key, they can see all what you are doing in crypto but can't have access to your coin, but anyone who have access to your private key has full control of your coin.
Argoo

Activity: 2282
Merit: 225

#SWGT PRE-SALE IS LIVE

View Profile
May 09, 2019, 05:42:05 PM

The public address of the wallet and the private key of it are two different codes that have no interconnection between them. Therefore, knowing the public address, it is impossible in any way to access the secret key of this wallet. Both of these sets of numbers and letters fall into one purse in a purely random fashion.

SWG.ioPre-Sale is LIVE at $0.15
║〘 Available On BINANCE 〙•〘 FIRST LISTING CONFIRMED 〙•〘 ✅ Certik Audited 〙║
╙ ›››››››››››››››››››››››››››››› BUY NOW ‹‹‹‹‹‹‹‹‹‹‹‹‹‹‹‹‹‹‹‹‹‹‹‹‹‹‹‹‹‹ ╜
butka

Activity: 434
Merit: 246

View Profile
May 09, 2019, 06:13:31 PM

The article in question is a good example of spreading misinformation.

And therefore I think that is a real credible threat. Bitcoin is a public ledger; therefore, so you can go out and see the public keys which are holding the massive balances and you could go out and target the several hundreds or thousands of Bitcoin and say I’m going to spend my effort on the computing resource in order to reverse engineer the private key from the public key, which is exposed. I think that is even a near-term threat.

First of all, it is not true that the Bitcoin's public ledger contains public keys. It contains bitcoin addresses which are 160 bit hashes of public keys:

A Bitcoin address is a 160-bit hash of the public portion of a public/private ECDSA keypair.
source: https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Technical_background_of_version_1_Bitcoin_addresses

Until the bitcoins associated with these addresses are spent (by providing the corresponding signatures), you can't even know the public key, let alone the private one.

And even if you knew the public key, you would need immense computer power and who knows how many tens of thousands of years of using that computing power to deduce the private key.
fosco333

Activity: 1260
Merit: 100

View Profile
May 10, 2019, 02:18:30 AM

NO bro, it is impossible. If it was possible, then the coins that trapped in the wallets would be able to be retrieved back.
Cryptocurrency is one way encryption and there is no way you can do reverse engineering on it.
That is why we must save our private key so we won't lose it.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: