Bitcoin Forum
May 10, 2024, 05:05:05 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Ideas for improving local boards?  (Read 590 times)
NavI_027

Activity: 1232
Merit: 186

View Profile
May 04, 2019, 12:34:34 AM

What are your Ideas to encourage newbies to make a good-quality discussion in local boards "Encourage them to create topics and then improve the quality of those posts"?
II have no objection when it comes to improving the quality of posts but letting them to create topics? Nah, I don't agree because things would be a total mess. I'm not saying that newbies don't have the right to open their own threads, what I only mean is that they should learn first even only these 2 things: 1) learn any stuffs involving to crypto world for the sake of having good content and 2) learn to weigh whether is it really appropriate to open a thread for such topic or not. If they learn these two basic things then there would be no problem, however, newbies are newbies so it's natural if it takes a lot of time for them to do so.

Don't get me wrong, I'm just worrying of future conflicts like tons of irrelevant or repeated discussions on our local boards once we encourage them. Instead of being helpful it's destroying our forum (once again). But anyway, I still believe that there are existing good newbies out there who are obedient and got a presence of mind.

Each block is stacked on top of the previous one. Adding another block to the top makes all lower blocks more difficult to remove: there is more "weight" above each block. A transaction in a block 6 blocks deep (6 confirmations) will be very difficult to remove.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
ranman09

Activity: 756
Merit: 112

View Profile
May 04, 2019, 02:05:12 AM

What are your Ideas to encourage newbies to make a good-quality discussion in local boards "Encourage them to create topics and then improve the quality of those posts"?
II have no objection when it comes to improving the quality of posts but letting them to create topics? Nah, I don't agree because things would be a total mess. I'm not saying that newbies don't have the right to open their own threads, what I only mean is that they should learn first even only these 2 things: 1) learn any stuffs involving to crypto world for the sake of having good content and 2) learn to weigh whether is it really appropriate to open a thread for such topic or not. If they learn these two basic things then there would be no problem, however, newbies are newbies so it's natural if it takes a lot of time for them to do so.

Don't get me wrong, I'm just worrying of future conflicts like tons of irrelevant or repeated discussions on our local boards once we encourage them. Instead of being helpful it's destroying our forum (once again). But anyway, I still believe that there are existing good newbies out there who are obedient and got a presence of mind.

This is probably the best option or idea https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=5138122.msg50849408#msg50849408

We should let them do what they want to do and then if they came out wrong educate them. Ever wonder why they are ranked Newbies? Because they are the new comers. Some of them might have just come into the forum to get some knowledge too excited that they missed the rules. Better supply kindness and nourish them than to be harsh to them.
Heisenberg_Hunter
Legendary

Activity: 1583
Merit: 1276

Heisenberg Design Services

View Profile WWW
May 04, 2019, 06:51:00 AM

People need to skim my previous post to get in touch with this.

The Indian Board is absolute shitshow when it comes to posting where there are far little posters and reputed members who literally post and have knowledge on what they are really posting. Most of them who posts in the Indian Boards are spammers who is either willing to increase their post count or just Brand New bot accounts created to promote thier shills and scams spreading all over the boards.

Benson was a good moderator a while back, and due to his inactivity and coinsecure problem he should have been removed by theymos. But the board (to be true) has very little entertaining and non-bot posters. It would be better if theymos deletes the Indian Board all the way. Good Posters like avikz, amishmanish,TheUltraElite,legendster,r1s2g3 and few others mostly sticks on-to the main boards and if they really post in the Indian Board, I would be one among the very few who constantly merits them. I have around 30-35 merits still sitting in my sMerit limit and I would be happy to give away to the good posters of the Indian Board. If the content is readable enough, I would be fairly distributing merits on everyone posting in the Indian Board.

There's a wide disparity between posts in some local boards, some are good and the other frustrating.
The Indian Board always constantly falls into the most frustrating category with the majority of the posters having little to no knowledge in the bitcoin and just create an account here to promote their scams and shills.

I don't really know why there is a child board named Altcoins (India). The board is completely governed and controlled by fake translation spammers which has been brought to light in my post here. But even after posting those with necessary evidences, none of them have been tagged till now nor their fake translations have been trashed. Even the official rules translation is being done by automated translation tools in the Indian Board.

Including myself, I don't really need to just post in that bullshit board and waste my time talking nonsense. If theymos doesn't want the board to be good and to be controlled by spammers, why the board should exist? Better deleting the board completely will pave way for a better forum. Also appointing merit sources for Indian Board would be literally waste and leads to merit abusements.

P.S All my ideas to improve the board have been mentioned in the other post, it is up-to theymos to control the overflowing spams.
btcsmlcmnr

Activity: 546
Merit: 159

View Profile
May 04, 2019, 07:33:39 AM

My local board is a suitable too, but I joined the forum when this local board locked due to over shitshowing. I can call it as disadvantage for real constructive users. However, it is life, and I have to accept it. I don't think merit system treat unfairly between posts made in international (English) and in local boards. Merits always find good posts to come. Only abusements in international and local boards are different, with overwhelmed abusements in local boards. For such over abused boards, it is better to locked them all; because it is hard to convince such shit-showers change their posting habits. Even good users of their nations don't care to join such local boards, even it is their first languages.

Interestingly, I joined the forum and even did not know there are local boards. I joined and simply read post in English. I did not jump directly and find where is my local board. In general, it's not right way to join any forum, and jump directly to find local boards. Nowadays, English is essential thing to communicate, discuss, learn, and to survive. Sticking with local languages is very bad approach and should be changed.
wwzsocki
Legendary

Activity: 2744
Merit: 1708

First 100% Liquid Stablecoin Backed by Gold

View Profile WWW
May 05, 2019, 12:58:43 AM
Last edit: May 05, 2019, 01:22:10 AM by wwzsocki

Activating the local community is not an easy task. I know, because we have been trying to do this for several months together with several users of Polish local board. Initially, I was convinced that it was only a matter of the number of merits distributed on the local board, but after a few months, when we were able to definitely increase the number of merits, it turned out that this is not enough. We also tried contests for good posts, bitcoin predictions etc. but the effects are not the best. Fortunately, our involvement has had some effects and now regular posters on the Polish board are a few more but I still hope that they will be able to collect a much larger group...

Agree with you @Cryptovigi that to activate a local community is not an easy task but I can't agree that the effects of what we are doing are not the best and I will try to explain why.
I am lucky to be here on Bitcointalk for a long time and I have seen how our local board is evolving during all these years. Of course, the best judge will be @Malevolent our moderator because he is there almost from start and witnessed everything but I have seen too how much traffic we had in Polish board during these years.

Little more as one year ago, when I started my mega thread, the situation was really bad and there where almost no posts and discussions in the polish board. But today, I am happy when I visit our local section. There are plenty of new posts every day and many more high-quality threads. I see every week, more high ranked members coming back to our local section, to take part in discussions. What is even better a lot of new members tries their luck and writing skills starting new topics.

The polish local section was never crowded. I dare say, that it is almost as good, as in times of the highest crypto mania when it goes, to our section. Of course, when one looks at other boards of this forum, and at our small local community, could think that indeed, there is nothing going on but this section was always small and I am happy that we achieved such progress, only with few people. I just can't imagine what can happen, when all these new and old members stay with us or will be coming back more frequently.

I would like to take the opportunity and ask for additional merit source for our Polish forum, which is simply necessary. Our work will be forfeited if we can not reward the best posts with merits. There is a whole bunch of very good threads or even individual posts in our section, which are still not rewarded. It would be great if merit sources could visit our section from time to time and give few additional merits to support us.

I know that this is very difficult for merit sources to merit posts in a language they don't understand and this is why additional merit source is so important in the local section. We have only one source and he is not able alone to merit all posts in our section by himself. Additionally, another source is another person who has a different character, different tastes, other sense of humor and maybe even completely different political views or opinions on various matters and this is all very good because he will merit different type of posts as merit source number one. Quite a new group of people has a chance for merits.

The topic of the thread is: Ideas for improving local boards?
I answer: first and foremost, give the needy sections more merit sources.

wumBowo

Activity: 770
Merit: 298

tozex.io

View Profile WWW
May 05, 2019, 06:09:24 PM
Last edit: May 05, 2019, 06:29:51 PM by wumBowo

I just remembered back on mid 2017 when the ICO and their bounty campaigns being 'hype' thing, local board is full of spammers and bad posters. Hence, make most of signature campaign block local boards on their rules.
Time has gone, after merit system introduced and legit ICO campaign become more less than before and thats happening as well to most of members including those who active on local boards. Recently, i looking back to my local boards (bahasa indonesia) and what i can say is i can count how many people who being active there.
I don't know any idea or act to atleast to improve local boards but one thing for sure is we lack of re-generation, we know a safest place where newbie can start to making a post is on a local board, but there's only a few topics they can discuss, ask, share and whatnot.

Just want to share my experience. I have ever give 1 merit to newbie who had some decent post (not good or even super quality post) he suddenly pm'ed that he really thank to me to give him merit, he was desperated of where he can earn merit and even more he wanted some advice from me how good or bad the quality of his post ( i even only can make some decent post not a good one). For now what i can do might be only focused to give merit to some new rank member who atleast had a decent post or a proper one. By this, i hope it gives them an encouragement and confident to learn and learn more so later there will be a time where they become a good poster

Tozex